What is the Tahawi Creed?

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah
:salam:

I came upon a person mentioning the Tahawi creed, which I'm hearing for the first time.

Can somebody help me out here? What is this? Is this something authentic? I haven't really gone through the .pdf because I don't want to stray away into anything dangerous. .

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Wa alaykum salam wa rahmatullah.

It is one of the classical aqeedah books of ahlus sunnah written by Imam Tahawi. The text itself is authentic and good, in fact it is easy to understand.

However the problem is when those of the asha'irah, give their own explanation to justify their incorrect aqeedah.

If you are to learn aqeedah, then do so from good sources and reliable scholars. in sha Allah

Edit: just uploaded the book, with explanation, in 4 parts:
http://turntoislam.com/community/threads/explanation-of-aqeedah-tahawiyyah-full-book-on-creed.94025/

Abul Harith

Staff member
:salam:

I came upon a person mentioning the Tahawi creed, which I'm hearing for the first time.

Can somebody help me out here? What is this? Is this something authentic? I haven't really gone through the .pdf because I don't want to stray away into anything dangerous. .

Asalam alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa baraktuh,

The 'Aqeedah of Imam al-Tahawi is one of the classical treatises in Muslim Belief written by Abu Ja'far Ahmad bin Muhammad At-Tahawi who was alive in the 3rd century after hijra.

This treatise is considered one of the great articles on the creed written and has had many commentaries written about it over the centuries. It is comprised of simple points which lay down the fundamental beliefs based upon the Quran and the Sunnah. So the 'Aqeedah al-Tahawiyah is quite authentic and is well recognised by the scholars as such.

The text of Imam at-Tahawi's treatise was taught to students throughout the ages by scholars of Ahl-as-Sunnah-wal-Jamah. But we need to be careful as some of the explanations are also written by scholars that were affected by Asha'ari ideology. Without going into a lengthy recourse they deviated from the classical understanding of Aqeedah especially in Allah's names and Attributes.

The muhaddith of our era, Sheikh Albani - rahimahullah, checked one of the most famous explanations of Tahawi by 'Ibn 'Abdul-Izz al-Hanafi - rahimahullah. This is in Arabic and I do not believe it is currently available in English.

If one wants to expand their Islamic knowledge then it is vitally important that they learn Arabic as this allows one to access the source material.