Is eating Prasad permissible?

dawood_smriti

Asalamalykum,

I live in India where majority is non-muslims. and i often ve to deal with them, they sumtimes offer me to ve prasad (its anykind of food on which the pandit of hindu temples speak sum mantras-kind of holy food),i usually take it so tht they do not feel bad but later on throw it at a clean place.Am i right.or can i eat it considering normal food. please help me with it.

Wasalaam.

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman
:salam2:

i wouldn't eat the food, brother. even though it may be a nice gesture made by the people in the temple. the problem that you face is that the food may have been invoked in the name of their god. any food if not invoked in the name of Allah swt is considered haram. there may be debates if one doesn't know if it was invoked in a another name than Allah swt. since there is doubt, it would be best to simply avoid it.

:wasalam:

JD19

I in no way know the answer as I am a new Muslim but the way I look at it - Islam teaches alot of intention (Niyyah)... if your niyyah isnt to eat it for the beliefs invoked onto it then how can you be punished for it?

How about this - next time someone gives it to you - gladly take it and place it in your pocket or in a napkin and when you leave and you see someone needy on the street begging for food or money, give them the prasad as it would help them. Im sure you will get rewarded for it. Win-win situation for both =)

My parents are Hindu and I sometimes get offered Prasad. I eat it not for the beliefs invoked onto it but for it being a food from Allah (swt)... I say "Bismillah Ar-Rahman Ar-Rahim" and I eat it...

zarah

Islam
Staff member

I am not sure.I always had people telling me that a muslim can eat from a jewish or a christian person house,but should not eat from a hindu..(I am not sure if it true or not???????)

:wasalam:

Abu Eesaa

Servant Of Allah
Salaam,

I recall this topic being discussed by some brothers and a hanfi scholar, If I remember correctly the scholar said not to eat the parsard as it had some other gods named invoked over it, instead of Allah(swt) hence not making it permissable to eat. I am a follower of the Hanfi Fiq so I will be abiding by this ........Allah(swt) knows best.

The Prohet(saw)..... said If ever in doubt to a certain thing....Do the thing you are sure of and leave the thing you are unsure of.......

Salaam

Abu Esaa

hareem

Salaams
Here is the defination of parsad. It is distributed in a deity's name.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prasad

Hindus believe that the prasad has the deity's blessing residing within it.

Al-Quran
2:173. He hath only forbidden you dead meat, and blood, and the flesh of swine, and that on which any other name hath been invoked besides that of Allah. But if one is forced by necessity, without wilful disobedience, nor transgressing due limits,- then is he guiltless. For Allah is Oft-forgiving Most Merciful.

Allah has made somethings haram not only for muslims but for all mankind. We can't eat haram food nor we can give haram things to others.

Allah hu alim.

Arshad

Eating of Prasaad's

I am sure it is forbidden, but then where in India you get any food stuff which is not blessed by the deity of The Hindu religion.
If any one of you are from India, you must be aware that every or almost every grocery store or vegetable vender or a sweetmeat shop owner is a Hindu . and every morning before they trade, it is a ritual that they follow to say their mantra's and circumbulate the stuff with a bunch of incence jotsticks or the little lamp and some times even sprinkle the humble cows' Gomutra. and we are the ones who have no other option but to copmpromise and buy stuff from wherever. It starts right from the harvest in the fields at the Khallian if you know what it is I don't know the Enlish word for that any way???
But let us be sure that we say bismillah and take it and perhaps wash and purify it before consuming.
Then let me tell you that there are as many muslims too who indulge in the same act of Shirk, They have the picture of Haji Malang and the peers from Ajmer and delhi and the Sai baba of Shirdi and what not Astagfirullah and they do the same thing as the hindu's do with the incence jotstick etc etc
So just be care full.

salmanzaid

Prasad

Thanks for the new topic !

I've been involved with Vaisnava hindus for some time,
and still work for them ( for now ! ).

The prayers begin with glorification of the Guru ( who is thought to be
on an equal level with 'Krishna' or 'Siva' ect' )
Then is is offered to 'Krishna' or whatever.
Their belief is that 'Krishna' accepts the offering & then
what is leftover is the remanents ( prasad ).

I have been ignoring the question of prasad, on the basis it is vegetarian.
Now I realise that this is a huge problem for me !
I would have to refuse it, in the most non-offensive way possible -
I can't eat at work anymore - probably need to get out of there
and find new employment elsewhere.

Please bro's & sisters, pray for my future !

al-fajr

...ism..schism
Staff member
i wouldnt take it from them in the first place bro, just be assertive...i think its permissable to eat from jewish person but not christian...cos theres would be kosher which is secondary to halal whereas a christian has no rules (well they do but they dont follow them)

zarah

Islam
Staff member
i wouldnt take it from them in the first place bro, just be assertive...i think its permissable to eat from jewish person but not christian...cos theres would be kosher which is secondary to halal whereas a christian has no rules (well they do but they dont follow them)

I said the same thing above so is it true???:lol: