Problem Can you store Gum in your mouth while Praying?

SilverTG

We hear and we Obey.
Asalaamu alaikum,

When came to the call of prayer, I had gum in my mouth, and didn't know what to do with it, lest it may have gotten stuck if I put it down somewhere and made a mess, I thought that I could keep it in my mouth to pray But NOT chew it. (Sometimes I keep it in my mouth, other times I just throw it away)I've already asked a few but they said that they weren't sure, others said that I couldn't...

Please share if you know anything about keeping gum in your mouth while Praying. :D
~Jazakum Allahukhairun

Ummah 99

Walaikum Assalam! :)
Your best move could have been to throw the gum right after you heard the call of the prayer. Another could have been swallowing the gum. Never have anything inside the mouth while praying because it acts as a distraction to the prayer. Also it acts as a disrespect to Allah (swt.) because you are utter His words and your mouth should be filled with His words and your breaths should be smooth.

I hope you understand! :)

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
assalamu alaykum,

Every Muslim must fear Allaah and show respect towards Him. When he stands in prayer before Allaah, he must stand in a manner of humility and submission to Allaah, keeping far away from everything that may corrupt or invalidate his prayer, distract his mind, or keep him from focusing on the prayer. He must avoid anything that goes against respect and good manners.

For a worshipper to have chewing gum in his mouth is undoubtedly incompatible with fear and respect of Allaah, and with humility before Him. It causes a lot of movement in the mouth.

With regard to the ruling on having chewing gum in one’s mouth when praying:

Ibn Qudaamah said: If he has anything in his mouth that can dissolve, such as sugar, and any part of it dissolves, and he swallows it, then his prayer is invalidated, because he has eaten.

(al-Mughni, part 1, p. 400)

According to the Hanafis, Maaliks and Hanbalis, it is also makrooh to put anything in his mouth even if that does not prevent him from reciting, because that distracts his mind. The Hanafis stated that if this thing does not dissolve then it is makrooh; if it does dissolve, such as sugar in his mouth, then this invalidates his prayer if he swallows it after it has dissolved.

(al-Mawsoo’ah al-Fiqhiyyah, part 27, p. 117)

And they stated that if he has sugar in his mouth, and it dissolves and he swallows it deliberately, knowing that that is forbidden, or because he did not make any effort to learn, then his prayer is invalid. They also stated that his prayer becomes invalid if he chews it, if it is a lot, even if nothing reaches his stomach.

Al-Majd said: if he brings out something substantial that is between his teeth and swallows it, then his prayer becomes invalid in our view. They stated that swallowing something that has dissolved, such as sugar, is like eating.

Al-Mawsoo’ah al-Fiqhiyyah, part 27, p. 125
IslamQA

Janaan

ربنا اغفر لنا ذنوبنا
Staff member
Wa`alaikum salaam.

When I was in madrasah, years and years ago, I remember the kids would stick the gum between their fingers, or in their ears (the auricle not the eardrum) if there was no trash bin around.

SilverTG

We hear and we Obey.
BarakaAllahu feekum wa shukran lakum,
I agree, the storage of gum in your mouth is rude and that it violates your state of fear and humbleness towards Allah -تعالى سبحانه و- during prayer. :)

SonOfAdam

Staff member
:) no sister, you should not have anything in your mouth during salaht inshallah.

Stick it behind your ear next time or pocket/tissue/sock/walk outside and throw it in the trash/cushion between your pants and body/put it in your hair!... use your imagination.

All is better than keeping it in your mouth during salaht. You cannot eat during salaht and the sugars from it will be in your saliva and you will swallow it.

It is a good question though, if you don't ask how can you know? Good job ukhti for asking! It is one I am sure some people may not have thought of.

SonOfAdam

Staff member
The are many fiqh opinions around these matters (exactly how much accidental food are you allowed to swollow or have in your mouth during salaht). Inshallah you can look them up, it would be good to know but even then how would you measure these things in your mouth and during salaht if you did notice so it is kind of pointless to worry about it.... So basically you want to keep your mouth free of any food objects, even very small that may be left over from eating (as to not swallow on accident during prayer) or stuck on a tooth and also you should not have any taste in your mouth from food... this would mean you also have food in your mouth and are eating it during salaht as that taste would be gone by the time your salaht is over.

Very detailed topic though, so inshallah follow the guidelines above and you should cover most corner cases. :)

If you are about to miss salaht or something and had food in your mouth rinse your mouth with water as to get all the small objects out ins. and taste.

The religion is meant to be easy on us. It is quite a burden to open and inspect your mouth thoroughly before each salaht in case something is stuck in your teeth that you may swollow when praying.... that is too hard in my opinion. You just do your best inshallah, if you are worrying about these small things it means that you are doing quite well in your deen mashallah.

Just mentioning this as it relates to the topic.

Umm Shareef

Wa`alaikum salaam.

When I was in madrasah, years and years ago, I remember the kids would stick the gum between their fingers, or in their ears (the auricle not the eardrum) if there was no trash bin around.

In my sons' madrassa if a kid was caught with chewing gum they would be punished there and then for showing such disrespect to Allah subhanahu wa ta'alaa.

I don't allow my kids to chew gum at all, but if I ever caught them with gum in their mouth at salah time they would be in big big trouble.

Last edited: