Their days

aimforjannah

AsSalamu Alaikum my Sisters,

Just a reminder about the upcoming days in December. Keep in mind that celebrations of any kinds, accepting gifts on these days, parties ect... are a direct opposite of Islamic teachings. As a person that grew up in Shirk and reverted to Islam I know oh so well..... the family pressure. I just tell them that I love them and that I do not accept gifts during their days, nor will I eat their food, nor will I visit. But I will make duaa for them that Allah will make them amongst the best Muslims.

Oh...and do not forget. No sales shopping during their days...the sales(figures for the season)go towards the stores annual seasonal profits. May Allah may it easy for us all. Be lead by the proofs!

:dua:May Allah make us firm in our deen and save us from the fire....Ameeeeeen!

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
We may just try to live these days (Christmas) as every other days we will - not to make it too bid number that we don´t celebrate something. Go to sales if need something. Greet our neighbors kindly.

I also answer to their greetings as they too remember my holidays with kind wiches.

As I told, no need to make these days any big number. Relax and eat with your neighbors some ginger cookies.

Hassan

Laa ilaha ilaa Allah
Staff member
:wasalam:

... Relax and eat with your neighbors some ginger cookies.

Haha. My neighbours are muslims though!

Oh...and do not forget. No sales shopping during their days...the sales(figures for the season)go towards the stores annual seasonal profits. May Allah may it easy for us all. Be lead by the proofs!

I need to ask for daleel about the sales, otherwise I am just following hearsay. I did not hear this before and do not see the harm in buying a few things I need at a good price.

I fully agree about family pressure - I think this is the time of year with most stress between reverts and their families, though all of us in the West need to be thoughtful of our actions. Ameen to your dua.

Umm Shareef

Wa aleykum as salaam sis,

JazakAllah Khayran for the reminder. In our house we are very strict with the kids that there will be no celebration of anything to do with Christmas. They have been taught to love Prophet Isa (peace be unto him), but they know that if they ask for anything to do with Christmas they will be told 'no' very firmly and if they whine about it they will be taken over my knee...

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
Hopely they are also teached to respect those others to whom it is one of the most important holiday. We live in the same world and mutual understanding and respecting is one of the most important thing.

zaman-gm

Just a reminder about the upcoming days in December. Keep in mind that celebrations of any kinds, accepting gifts on these days, parties ect... are a direct opposite of Islamic teachings. As a person that grew up in Shirk and reverted to Islam I know oh so well..... the family pressure. I just tell them that I love them and that I do not accept gifts during their days, nor will I eat their food, nor will I visit. But I will make duaa for them that Allah will make them amongst the best Muslims.

Amin...........

Precious Star

A bit harsh, don't you think? If someone gives me a gift, I'm not going to give it back. And very often when I was a child, my parents invited non-muslims to celebrate Eid with us. It was very heart-warming.

We must learn to respect others.

And I always shop on boxing day - things are cheaper. Do I have an Islamic obligation to buy more expensive items????

I think if you are really worried then it is best to live in a muslim country.

Precious Star

Wa aleykum as salaam sis,

JazakAllah Khayran for the reminder. In our house we are very strict with the kids that there will be no celebration of anything to do with Christmas. They have been taught to love Prophet Isa (peace be unto him), but they know that if they ask for anything to do with Christmas they will be told 'no' very firmly and if they whine about it they will be taken over my knee...

Teachng children through spanking will never work. It is best to give them an alternative. So lets say they are feeling left out because other children are celebrating with a fancy tree and gifts and cookies. You can turn the occasion into a discussion of Maryam and Issa, and then if they behave you can have a "baking night" where you all bake cookies together . Or, on Christmas Day, invite other muslim children over to play with your children, so that they can have their own little celebration that has nothing to do with Christmas. They can play games, bake cookies, etc.

MehmetHilmi

Maybe if we made Eid more fun, Muslim kids wouldn't even care about Christmas. In Christmas there are lights everyone is happy, gifts are given and many more. The mood is so wonderful. Whearas in Eid, it is not the same (at least in non-Muslim countries). Seriously my past Eid I didn't do anything. I went to the Eid prayer and went straight back to class. It passed as a normal day. I didn't even get any gifts (I'm almost 20 I don't expect anything but still). But now in Christmas, everything is so lively. San Francisco is beautiful with lighted buildings. Ice skating in union square is soooo fun. Its like wonderland. Which kid wouldn't like it? So either we step up our game and make Eid the best days on Earth or we have to suffer the consequence of Muslims wanting to celebrate Christmas. Oh by the way the local Islamic clothing store here also has a holiday sale. I really wouldn't want to live as a social recluse during th holiday seasons and I take full advantage of every sale. Also my mom told me a story about how she really wanted a tree when she was young ( she was raised in the netherlands). Her father finally got a small tree due to constant begging from my mom and her siblings. Actually now we are starting to see similiar problems in Muslim countries themselves. In Turkey for instance, there is a tradition among some people of decorating a tree for new years (it copies christmas but disguiguises it as new years celebrations). again I'm saying that this is a competition. Our holidays are competing against theirs and so far they are making a better show. Sorry if my post sounded wierd and has grammatical errors. Writing with my phone is so difficult.

Umm Shareef

Hopely they are also teached to respect those others to whom it is one of the most important holiday. We live in the same world and mutual understanding and respecting is one of the most important thing.

Yes, they are taught to respect those that do not follow our Deen, but I do not wish my kids to have anything to do with such unIslamic activities as Christmas. I believe that such celebrations can be alluring and tempting for children, which is why I am quite strict with them about it. Living in the west, they occasionally need to be reminded that we are Muslims and staying within the bounds of Islam means not participating in some things.

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
Salam alaykum

May Allah let your children become wise both in islam and how to live in the society.

They will need the both when they will grow as adults in that society and teach their children.

Umm Shareef

Wa alaikum assalam, Sister Herb

Ameen to your nice dua. Yes, our children must learn to live peacefully in the society in which they are raised and above all follow Islam and respect its limits. If I come across as strict for laying down the law with my kids when they want to celebrate Christmas it is only because I want to make it clear to them that we do not follow the practices of the kuffar and to remind them of the fate that awaits in the Hellfire for those that follow falsehoods. Islam provides us with everything we need alhumdulillah.