Serious Using Social Media to Counter Niqab Ban in the UK

maestrouzy

While the internet is a tool for gathering information and a source of fun for some of us, it can also be used in a very positive way. What am I talking about, you ask? Allow me to take you on a journey of how you can use the internet and #socialmedia to take a stand and make the world a better place.
#Hijab is not just simply a cloth covering your body and face. No, it is much more than that. It is a sign of modesty, respect, shame and purity.
http://maestrouzy.com/using-social-media-counter-niqab-ban/

Last edited by a moderator:

Precious Star

How do you get a job, and go for a job interview, if your face is covered? If a building requires a security pass to enter it, how do get the security pass in order to attend your job every day. I know your response is going to be to find a job that does not require face-time or an interview, but jobs are not plentiful or infinite. If you don't work, then you go on government assistance -- which requires a face-to-face interview with social workers and an explanation as to why you cannot look for a job. And government assistance is minimal, it is close to poverty level.

maestrouzy

Don't you know that you can open your face if it's needed, ex business transactions. The problem with the Muslims these days is that they don't care about Islam as much as they care about the Muslims. You don't want anything bad to happen to your job or your body, but you don't care about anything bad happening to Islam.

Precious Star

Don't you know that you can open your face if it's needed, ex business transactions. The problem with the Muslims these days is that they don't care about Islam as much as they care about the Muslims. You don't want anything bad to happen to your job or your body, but you don't care about anything bad happening to Islam.

Are you a little boy?

Please speak to a grown up. An adult will gently explain to you the purpose of having a job. The purpose of having a job is to have money to buy food, pay for shelter, pay electricity bills, buy clothes, pay for transportation, buy medicine if needed, etc.

Your silly comment that "the problem with Muslims" is that they don't want anything bad happening to their job, "but don't care about anything bad happening to Islam" is extremely naive and insulting.

You obviously have never struggled in your life. Maybe Allah needs to put you through some tests so that you learn what real life is like.

By the way, a bus pass or drivers licence is not a business transaction.

MehmetHilmi

I've never worked in my life, except for one day when I worked at a polling office for the 2012 US elections. But I still think the Idea you presented is wrong. Basically you said that Islam is more important than a person's job. The truth is that both a person's religious duty and worldly duty go hand in hand. A person lives a content life when they are able to balance both worldly and religious matters. Hence if being successful in non-Muslim communities means compromising a small portion of your belief (NOT the core concepts), then it is better for you if you do so.

I just watched a documentary about a Jewish village remaining in Yemen. The villagers were dressed as Muslims. It was interesting because the Jewish women actually wore niqaabs. And one of the villagers actually explained the reason for this. He said that while they were Jews, they were also Yemenis. And because of their love for their Yemeni Muslim countrymen, they chose to dress their women in a modest way as a way of respect. And they get along well with the Muslims. They visit each other on their holidays. This just shows the wonders that assimilation can do.

What I am trying to say is that Islam is flexible. The Prophet (saw) never advised people to be stubborn and refuse to assimilate into societies. Because the more we are secluded within our own religious communities, the less we are known, and the less we are understood.

Also sister Precious Star's point is very true.

zaman-gm

I would like to say in slightly different way.
All the discussion about Hijab mostly focus on employment and earning or traveling.
But this is just a part of a Muslim life. It's better to understand about the Duty, that are separated by Allah with gender. Where woman will work in side and man will outside as understanding there work place. where man can't do a woman's work(some impossible duty of an woman) and a woman are not conducive to do a man's work.
A Muslim women may go out side in case of her
1) Personal reason.
2) Religious reason.
3) Financial crisis.

If our Sisters realize this fact i think this discussion will reduce in minimum level.

Precious Star

I would like to say in slightly different way.
All the discussion about Hijab mostly focus on employment and earning or traveling.
But this is just a part of a Muslim life. It's better to understand about the Duty, that are separated by Allah with gender. Where woman will work in side and man will outside as understanding there work place. where man can't do a woman's work(some impossible duty of an woman) and a woman are not conducive to do a man's work.
A Muslim women may go out side in case of her
1) Personal reason.
2) Religious reason.
3) Financial crisis.

If our Sisters realize this fact i think this discussion will reduce in minimum level.

This is fine in a muslim state. When muslims decide to immigrate to a non-muslim state, the above utopia is impossible to maintain. How on earth would I be able to live a productive life if I am secluded alone in a house, collecting welfare from the state?? Please don't suggest that I rely on my husband because I am not married nor will I likely get married. Not all women have older brothers.

Islam did not prohibit normalized gender relations. It prohibited being alone with the opposite sex and engaging in behaviour that will lead to zina.

Frankly, the problem lies in two roots: 1. The decision by the MALE heads of families to move from an Islamic state to a non-Islamic state, and 2. the failure of many men/fathers/brothers/uncles to support their wives/daughters/nieces/granddaughters.

Evelin

Hijaab and Niqaab; Has both advantages and disadvantages. Just like pretty much everything. Only Allah (subhannah wa tallah) is free from all defects.

Last edited:

Precious Star

I think the real issue here is niqab, i.e. face covering, NOT hijab. Hijab is very practical, as you say. But covering your face and interacting with the outside world in that manner brings with it enormous complications. Like I said, it is fine in an Islamic state. In a non-Islamic state where being "hidden" is not the norm, and it is in fact unsafe, wearing a face-covering is not practical at all. If you want to do it, that is fine, but consider moving to an Islamic state and then everyone will be happy!

Like I said, the main issue is whether immigration to a non-Muslim state is even permissible to begin with. I agree Reverts have a unique problem, but if muslims left their cultural baggage and cultural biases behind, the Reverts would have a much better chance of assimilation.

Um Ibrahim

Alhamdulilah :)
No doubt wearing niqaab is challenging in a non muslim country even wearing proper hijab is challenging sometimes. However, if some women want to wear it out of theit intention to get closer to Allah, no one has any right to try to discourage them. I honestly bellieve it is Muslims who give Niqabi sisters the hardest times. I think if all Muslims stuck together and supported each other, non Muslims would learn to accept it. But that is where the problem is. Evryone is too concerned with how will she find a job, or how uncomfortable it is for the Non Muslims.jobs are hard to find regardless these daus. If an adult woman decides to wear the niqab its up to her how she will find work. What we as Muslims should do is be supportive and encouraging. Everyones struggle are different.

Precious Star

No doubt wearing niqaab is challenging in a non muslim country even wearing proper hijab is challenging sometimes. However, if some women want to wear it out of theit intention to get closer to Allah, no one has any right to try to discourage them. I honestly bellieve it is Muslims who give Niqabi sisters the hardest times. I think if all Muslims stuck together and supported each other, non Muslims would learn to accept it. But that is where the problem is. Evryone is too concerned with how will she find a job, or how uncomfortable it is for the Non Muslims.jobs are hard to find regardless these daus. If an adult woman decides to wear the niqab its up to her how she will find work. What we as Muslims should do is be supportive and encouraging. Everyones struggle are different.

Exactly. And it is just as important to not pass judgement on those who don't wear niqab. Not all women have luxury of a husband/brother to financially support them.

Um Ibrahim

Exactly. And it is just as important to not pass judgement on those who don't wear niqab. Not all women have luxury of a husband/brother to financially support them.

Sister i don' think anyone passes judgement on any sister who wears the hijab and not the niqab. In fact majority of Muslims are of the view that the Niqab is not mandatory. Who get harrassed by some Muslims and non Muslims alike are our sisters who wear the niqab. And to be honest, if we all dont stick together as Muslims there will come a time when the hijab and anything that has to do with Islam will be targeted and attacked. May Allah help us to be strong and defend our own sisters with or without niqab or even hijab. It is never OK to harass someone for dressing a certain way especially when it is out of the love and taqwa of Allah.

Evelin

There are some women who have children; self-employed and wear niqaab too.

Itqan Ullah

Time is Running!!
Assalamaliekum warahmatullahi wabrakatuhu,
May Allah Subhanahu wat'ala aid our sisters in times of trials and keep them steadfast upon deen. After reading few threads on this topic, I am deeply saddened by attitude of our some brothers and sisters who think the govt. banning niqab is somewhat legitimate from security point of view, etc and shouldn't be opposed. Had governement wanted it could have taken others steps instead of banning niqab, like deployment of female officers at places where security check is needed, for identification of niqabi women, make use of some technology for identification, etc. Perhaps they'll ban something else in future due to some other 'legiminate' reason, perhaps after a while all khutbas will need govt. approval before being delivered due to 'security reasons'.
Allah exalted says:
Never will the Jews nor the Christians be pleased with you till you follow their religion. [Quran 2:120]

I don't think any one of us is unaware of extremely 'consistent & just' principles of ahlul kufr, so there no point in drawing any legitimacy for such oppressive and intolerant laws.
We all should condemn and challenge such oppressive laws by our own capability (Through our dua'as, legal procedures, putting political pressure,etc (not by harming public property or doing something that brings more harms to muslims.)), even if some of follow view of niqab being not obligatory, or atleast don't support it!

Shaykh Saalih luhaidaan former Chief Justice of Saudi Arabia and member of the body of senior scholars was asked on 17/09/2013.

Questioner: "The brothers in the UK have a question oh our shaykh.The UK government wants to ban the wearing of Niab in government institutes, colleges and school. Is it permissible for us to write our names in a petition in order to ban this action of theirs?"

Shaykh "Yes this is good"

Questioner:"And there is no problem in it?"

Shaykh: "No rather it is excellent may Allah grant you all success."

Translated by Abu Ukkaashah Abdul Hakeem Ibn James

People of other faiths have stood for their religious practices and have legally fought against laws and have succeeded. Take Sikh people carrying kirpan for example.
Is a piece of cloth greater 'security risk' than a dagger?

If we don't stand for our rights we'll remain oppressed.

um muhammad al-mahdi

لا اله الا الله محمد رسول الله
Staff member
Assalamu Alaykum,

Just to remain in topic, we had a petition that has been spread among Muslims here in the UK and in a week or so we have received this response alhamdulillah:

This e-petition has received the following response:
As this e-petition has received more than 10 000 signatures, the relevant Government department have provided the following response:

The Government does not support a ban on the wearing of the burqa or other religious head coverings. Any restrictions on what a woman can wear in public would be out of keeping with British values and our nation's longstanding record of religious tolerance and gender equality.

Britain has a proud tradition of religious tolerance. The Government is committed to creating a strong and integrated society in which hatred and prejudice are not tolerated and in which all people are free to express their identity and live without fear of harassment and crime that targets them because of that identity. A key part of our tolerance is respect for other’s beliefs and religious practices, and an understanding of how our own practices impact on others.

The Government wants to see greater integration between communities and is strongly committed to encouraging dialogue and co-operation between people of different religious backgrounds. We think this, rather than a burqa ban, is the way to make progress.

This e-petition remains open to signatures and will be considered for debate by the Backbench Business Committee should it pass the 100 000 signature threshold.

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/54958

Remembering that it's all Qadr Allah

Precious Star

Assalamaliekum warahmatullahi wabrakatuhu,
May Allah Subhanahu wat'ala aid our sisters in times of trials and keep them steadfast upon deen. After reading few threads on this topic, I am deeply saddened by attitude of our some brothers and sisters who think the govt. banning niqab is somewhat legitimate from security point of view, etc and shouldn't be opposed. Had governement wanted it could have taken others steps instead of banning niqab, like deployment of female officers at places where security check is needed, for identification of niqabi women, make use of some technology for identification, etc. Perhaps they'll ban something else in future due to some other 'legiminate' reason, perhaps after a while all khutbas will need govt. approval before being delivered due to 'security reasons'.
Allah exalted says:
Never will the Jews nor the Christians be pleased with you till you follow their religion. [Quran 2:120]

I don't think any one of us is unaware of extremely 'consistent & just' principles of ahlul kufr, so there no point in drawing any legitimacy for such oppressive and intolerant laws.
We all should condemn and challenge such oppressive laws by our own capability (Through our dua'as, legal procedures, putting political pressure,etc (not by harming public property or doing something that brings more harms to muslims.)), even if some of follow view of niqab being not obligatory, or atleast don't support it!

People of other faiths have stood for their religious practices and have legally fought against laws and have succeeded. Take Sikh people carrying kirpan for example.
Is a piece of cloth greater 'security risk' than a dagger?

If we don't stand for our rights we'll remain oppressed.

The issue is not do we agree or disagree with the niqab. The issue is do we think it is compatible with life in a non-muslim state. Please keep in mind that the decision to live in a non-muslim state is completely voluntary; we can move to a muslim state at any time we choose. Most of us choose not to, because we love the lifestyle in the west too much - the universities, the infrastructure, the money, etc.

So Niqab would be a legitimate concern in a Western non-muslim state, not in a muslim state. A non-muslim state is not going to change its policies, procedures, and standards to accommodate the niqab. It is just not going to happen. In Islamic countries, there are female security personnel who inspect women; it is part of their societal structure. But in non-muslim states that is not the case. You are not allowed to teach in a classroom with your face covered. You cannot pose for a driver's license picture with your face covered. You cannot go to a bank, ask the bank employee for money, while your face is covered. But in a muslim state, all of that is possible.

Um Ibrahim

But Muslim women are not asking to take their drivers license pics with niqab on, that would be pointless. These sisters understand that for security purposes they cant refuse to lift up their niqabs for ID verification. In Islam you have a right to ask a sister to see her face whether you are male or female when it is about buying and selling because it us about business. Same thing in court settings. Sister I think you are missing the whole entire point of niqab. The same thing can be said about Hijab, masjids etc. Why only pick niqab and say that cannot part of a Muslim womans life if she lives in a non Muslim land.

As for moving to Muslim country I think you know its not that simple. Some of us were brought to these lands when we were babies or children...this is all we know as home. Theres a lot that can stand in the way of leaving such as financial instabability, family, documents etc. There are a lot of Muslims who have no other choice but to live here. If they have freedom for a woman to wear close to nothing, a Muslim woman has the right to wear all the clothes she can wear no matter how much.

um muhammad al-mahdi

لا اله الا الله محمد رسول الله
Staff member
Assalamu Alaykum

I wear the niqab and I've travelled in different countries in the West and I've always been checked by a security staff who was female and they were there to check women (with niqab or not) plus when asked to pull up the niqab they have always offered me to move in a different place where no men could see me.

Why would you pose on a driver licence picture with your face covered??

I've been in the bank many times and never asked to pull up my niqab

Let's not make the niqab a big barrier while it's not. And let's not generalise please.

As the other sisters said in previous posts, there are women in the west working with niqab wa Allahu 'alam

Jazakhum Allahu khayran

Precious Star

But Muslim women are not asking to take their drivers license pics with niqab on, that would be pointless. These sisters understand that for security purposes they cant refuse to lift up their niqabs for ID verification. In Islam you have a right to ask a sister to see her face whether you are male or female when it is about buying and selling because it us about business. Same thing in court settings. Sister I think you are missing the whole entire point of niqab. The same thing can be said about Hijab, masjids etc. Why only pick niqab and say that cannot part of a Muslim womans life if she lives in a non Muslim land.

As for moving to Muslim country I think you know its not that simple. Some of us were brought to these lands when we were babies or children...this is all we know as home. Theres a lot that can stand in the way of leaving such as financial instabability, family, documents etc. There are a lot of Muslims who have no other choice but to live here. If they have freedom for a woman to wear close to nothing, a Muslim woman has the right to wear all the clothes she can wear no matter how much.

There is no hadith or quranic verses that say a woman can lift up her niqab to a male "when it is about buying and selling because it is about business. Same thing in court settings." Yes, there are lots of imams and "scholars" who like to make rules and regulations, but if you wish to follow the rules regarding niqab, then the exceptions you speak of do not exist.

And I think you are completely missing the point I am trying to make. I am NOT saying that "it cannot be part of a woman's life if she lives in a non muslim land". I am saying that from the perspective of a non-muslim western policymaker, they will have valid reasons not to like niqab. I'm not suggesting for a second that a muslim woman abandon -- everyone has a right to dress as they please as long as it is not threatening to anyone else. Nor am I suggesting that leaving a nonMuslim country is easy, but sometimes you have to make sacrifices for the sake of Islam --- and I can't emphasize enough that muslims love the western-style "financial stability" and do not want to risk looking for a job in a muslim land because it is too difficult. I don't think the family issue is huge, because thousands and thousands of muslims have left their families in order to immigrate -- my own parents left the subcontinent to set up in north America, leaving behind their parents, their grandparents, their brothers, sisters, cousins, uncles. So if they can leave family behind to set up in a non-muslim country, it should be even easier to leave family behind to set up in a muslim country.

I'm not suggesting that any of this is easy, and I have no desire to immigrate to a muslim country. I'm just raising these points because everyone is very very insistent that non-muslim states MUST respect our choices, which sounds reasonable but the reality is as muslims we do have another option which is to move to a muslim state for the sake of Allah. But those who are vociferous about defending Islamic right do not seem to want to go that far.

We all have our limits, don't we? Many muslims practice cafeteria-style Islam -- you pick what you like, and don't bother with the rest.

But please don't turn this into a treatise against me personally. Let's all be grown ups about this.