Hifdh tips required

ali-farooqui

Assalam o Alikum Wa Rehmatullah, this past Ramadham I Alhumdulillah started Hifdh of Quran, I thought I might have been a bit too late starting at 28 yo but Alhumdulillah it is going ok, I have managed to memorize 2 Juzz (29-30) but I feel I am lacking a methodical approach to Hifdh. As I am not able to memorize full time or dedicate particular hours to hifdh I usually listen to target ayahs in loop mode during my everyday routine and read them couple of times. while this approach suited me in Juzz Amma and to a certain degree in Juzz Tabark Allazi I need a tried and tested method which I can follow
Like reading X amount of times etc etc secondly I recite my hifdh to a Qari new plus one surah from revision I want to know what is the best method to keep revision fresh so as not to forget the previously memorized Surah. Kindly advise Jazak Allah

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
wa alaykum salam wa rahmatullah,

Ma sha Allah, it is good that you have set yourself on such path of increasing and improving yourself in knowledge of the Deen (religion of Islam).

Does your teacher not set you the work after you read back to him? That would be a good idea in sha Allah.

Memorisation varies but improves over time.
Memorisation varies on each person, and it does improve over time.

How many ayaat should I memorise?
Most people start with memorising 1-3 ayaat and it increases to one side or even 2 sides or more of the Quran. There is nothing more than these basics, memorising the ayaat, and testing yourself by reading them back to someone qualified (i.e. an Imam / scholar known for their high standard of tajweed). This is very important so that you can read and learn the words of Allah with correct pronounciation and this improves also the beauty of you recitation.

When should I memorise?
The best times for memorising are in the morning, try fitting some time after fajr in sha Allah.

It is easy to memorise, but takes more effort and commitment to revise. Try testing yourself in the evening. After each week, test yourself on everything you memorised in the week. After 2 weeks, read back everything you learnt over the 2 weeks, do the same at the end of the month. (so you keep building). It is important to keep going back and revising things that were learnt before.

Try listening to recitation of al-Hosari, Manshawi (not mashari rashed afasi) and Abdul Baset Abdus Samad. These are the best for learning the Quran with excellent tajweed.

May Allah increase us all in knowledge and make it easy for us! Allahumma Amin.

ali-farooqui

:bismillah:
:salam:

Thank you for the swift reply brother and thanks for the revision tip may Allah give you Jaza, my ustaad and I have decided to keep it 1 ruku' at a time and I am averaging between half ruku' to full ruku' daily, I studied Quran from the same ustaad since I was a child and used to recite nazira to him, Alhamdulillah my tajweed is good, I listen to Sheikhs Naser Al-Qatami, Saad Al-Gamdi and Hani Refai. I find Sheikh Husari and Baset (may Allah shower blessing upon them) hard to follow for memory as warsh recitation style is a bit elongated .

The thing is I actually want to change this habit of memorising through listening due to a lot of reasons major being I note that the ramooz e auqaaf (rules about waqf ) differ in Pakistani mushaf (uluma-e-Deoband) and Arabic Mushaf (which the sheikhs follow)I memorise by listening so my auqaaf becomes similar to sheikh reciting but when I go to my Ustaad he corrects me to follow auqaaf in Pakistani Mushaf and things start jumbling up in my mind like should I do waqf here or link or should I link from behind if I am out of breath etc etc

Therefore can you kindly suggest me the best method for memorising through reading (nazira). should I memorise ayat by ayat or blocks 3,4 of ayat at a time, how to link the ayah/blocks with previous in memory
:jazaak:

anisafatima

W Allaikum Salam Brother.

Ma Sha Allah. I appreciate your cause about Memorizing Quran . May Allah help you in order to properly memorize the Quran in the right way and then help you in order to act upon the guidance given by Allah the Almighty.... You have asked about the tips. Amir brother has already given you the basic three tips that always deemed as important as any memorization process to start with.

I have also tried to memorize Quran in the past, i could not complete but remembered enough part of the Holy Quran. Here are the main things i used to consider:

1 - Starting in the Early Morning i.e. Fajr Prayer Time
2 - Starting Small i.e. start memorizing the shorter verses. And the best practice in that regard is to start from the last chapters.

I also refer you to consider this article http://www.qurantutor.com/blog/how-to-easily-memorize-quran-tips-techniques/ .

Going through this article, i found many tips also that are basic and useful.

Please do remember me in your prayers. Hopefully, tips are helpful for you :)

Salam