Uruguay marijuana legalisation: Details unveiled

Hassan

Laa ilaha ilaa Allah
Staff member
I don't think European nations will relax drug laws anytime soon - the Netherlands is the great experiment for that one and if anything they are getting stricter. Two US states have legalised soft drugs, but they are still illegal under Federal law.

In another article linked to from the one quoted, it is clear that the United Nations is against this law in Uruguay and wishes it to be repealed. To answer the question, I think it will come down to a battle of wills between the UN and member nations. I would not like to predict the outcome, only Allah azzawajjal knows.

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
Assalaam alaikum,

I thought Uruguay is a Western nation. When did that change?

It depends on how we divide the countries in our minds. The old way to think is see only the North America, Europe and Australia as "the western world" and every other parts are then like "something else".

Wikipedia says about Uruguay:

Uruguayan culture is strongly European and its influences from southern Europe are particularly important.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam alaikum,

Thank you sister, as usual.

We need to be careful when we select words. We have had threads about this in the past. We have also had discussions about medical marijuana and its uses.

The bottom line is simple. The issue is not if something is illegal or illegal. The issue is the individual choice. Think for a minute. Let's talk about interest. Student loans, mortages, car loans, credit cards etc. Clearly in Islam that is illegal. Yet, there is no shortage of a line waiting for money to be borrowed, individually and nationally.

The peoples of Uruguay are beautiful. I pray we have memebers from that country.

Um Ibrahim

Alhamdulilah :)
Well alcohol was prohibited in these countries and now it is not. So I won't be surprised if drugs will also be legal soon. There are lots of people in favor it of making it legal.

T_E_S

I'd say attitudes are changing to drugs such as Cannabis, and moderate study stimulants like Ritalin and Modafinil. Maybe in a few years they can be legal without prescription. (Cannabis+Marijuana= same thing btw). Although Cannabis was recently moved up a class in UK drugs law, idk about anywhere else in the West.

Other than them three I can't see anything else being legalised or relaxed in the west.

Especially if you're thinking of the really potent drugs, such as heroin, or hard-stimulants such as MDMA, amphetamine or meth-amphetamine. That will NEVER be legalised in the West. Trust me you can't imagine how damaging it is to your life.

Um Ibrahim

It's safe to say that all drugs and alcohol do more damage than good, to be honest. Every country should really be more strict on laws concerning drugs and all others things that can alter someone's thinking.

T_E_S

It's safe to say that all drugs and alcohol do more damage than good, to be honest. Every country should really be more strict on laws concerning drugs and all others things that can alter someone's thinking.

True, as Muslims we know that ALL of these things are forbidden and harmful, and create hatred between us. I was just generally commenting on the state of UK drug laws as I know them, unfortunately I've had to learn quite a bit. Drug laws in UK and most Western states are influenced less by science, and not so much on morals, and more on ''social'' standards and economic benefit vs economic risk. Sad really.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Once again I ask the posters to be careful making broad statments. We are writing opinions.
It is not the drug itself but the potential to abuse the drug. That is an individual decision. If the individual has an addictive personality all the laws in the world are useless.
As Muslims we must remember the Door to Mercy is always open. We need to take time to understand the reasons why a person turns to drugs and address the social ills.

Um Ibrahim

Once again I ask the posters to be careful making broad statments. We are writing opinions.
It is not the drug itself but the potential to abuse the drug. That is an individual decision. If the individual has an addictive personality all the laws in the world are useless.
As Muslims we must remember the Door to Mercy is always open. We need to take time to understand the reasons why a person turns to drugs and address the social ills.

I'm confused...was there something wrong that was said? I don't understand the point you are trying to make.

T_E_S

Well I as just commenting on drug laws as they are in the country I'm in. This thread/question was about drug laws.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam alaikum,

I am not trying to be difficult. I am simply stating we have to select our words. When we make very general statements we can fall into speculation. Our faith warns us not to do so.
Very simply put before we critize another country and their laws let us re-examine our laws i.e Sharia. Let us understand how to live our lives in our deen.
Many people have very difficult lives and stressors. Many people do not feel that marijuana is a drug. We have to read history and understand when and why many of the punitive laws were enacted. We need to understand the cultural norms of those socities. We need to look and evaluate if individuals have the right to find cures for illnessess outside the traditional medical model.

PS. To TES...I noticed that you have reverted recently. Please make dua for us. Your supplications are powerful. MashaAllah.

Um Ibrahim

There is no criticizing sister...just stating the facts. Drugs are drugs. It really doesn't matter what angle one looks at it from. Alcahol same thing. Allah Himself tells us that there is some benefit for the one who consumes it, however, the harms of it far outweigh any little benefit it has. That is all I'm saying. So it really doesn't matter what culture's perspectives there is on the issue. Alcahol and drugs will always be more dangerous and have more harm than any good.

My whole point anyway was that I would not be surprised if some drugs become legal as once Alcahol too was prohibited in a lot of countries and of course now it is not. But people will soon find out the hard way that any benefit there is very small compared to the negative side effects if ever drugs such as marijuana is made legal.

T_E_S

Assalaam alaikum,

I am not trying to be difficult. I am simply stating we have to select our words. When we make very general statements we can fall into speculation. Our faith warns us not to do so.
Very simply put before we critize another country and their laws let us re-examine our laws i.e Sharia. Let us understand how to live our lives in our deen.
Many people have very difficult lives and stressors. Many people do not feel that marijuana is a drug. We have to read history and understand when and why many of the punitive laws were enacted. We need to understand the cultural norms of those socities. We need to look and evaluate if individuals have the right to find cures for illnessess outside the traditional medical model.

PS. To TES...I noticed that you have reverted recently. Please make dua for us. Your supplications are powerful. MashaAllah.

I reverted years ago