Tasawuf -Sufism

tarik-adilovi-263

Taswuf is an arabic word for ismlamic philosophy . El-Gazali tried to revive the shariah with the sufism.
In sufism there are many brotherhood ot tarikats, the cleanest tarikat is the nakshibendi tarikat. In the Ottoman empire, dervishes or sufid had the function to make dawah. What do you think about sufism?

muslimhanif

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the question.

The true "Ṣūfīsm" in ancient times was very different from what today is generally called "Sufism", and was more properly defined "zuhd" (ascetic detachment). The word "Ṣūfīsm" has an uncertain etymology and several homonyms, so it can easily lead to confusion. Suffice it to say that the word "Ṣūfīsm" was not known during the first three generations of muslims, rather it became known after that. As you rightly said, today there are many Ṣūfīs "brotherhoods" and it is not possible to generalize by expressing a unique and inclusive judgment for all of them. There are certainly some differences between these "confraternities", however, the majority of those who ascribe themselves to Ṣūfīsm today adopt certain syncretic beliefs and rituals of worship which are extraneous to Islām and which would be impossible to list all here. Moreover, most of them today fall into major associationism (i.e. idol-worship) and are not really monotheists (i.e. worshiping none but Allāh); some of them are actually atheists, while others have some heretical beliefs that are a mix between pantheistic monism, acosmism and perennialism. If required we could quote some excerpts from their books, if Allāh wills it. I don't know if there are any reliable English books on Ṣūfīsm, but if you know Arabic you could begin your research by reading the following books:
  1. Risālah fī al-Taṣawwuf, by Ibn Taymiyyah;
  2. Talbīs Iblīs, by `Abd al-Raḥmān Ibn al-Jawzī;
  3. Ḥaqīqah al-Taṣawwuf, by `Abd al-Ra'ūf Qāsim;
  4. Dirāsāt fī al-Taṣawwuf, by Iḥsān 'Ilahī Ẓahīr;
  5. Ilá al-Taṣawwuf yā `ibād Allāh, by Abī Bakr al-Jazā'īrī.
In addition to that, see: The Takfīr of Ibn `Arabī and his group.

As for the philosophy, see: Brief reflection on Arabic philosophy.

And Allāh knows best.

Last edited:

Katrin

What do you mean by "the cleanest tarikat is the nakshibendi tarikat". The followers of tarikat I know usually refrain from judging other tarikat as inferior.

tarik-adilovi-263

What do you mean by "the cleanest tarikat is the nakshibendi tarikat". The followers of tarikat I know usually refrain from judging other tarikat as inferior.
I am not a sufi. And sheikh Ramadan al- Bouti, ragmetullahi te'ala, said that in a TV show, and my post is rewritten from a bosnian book.

muslimhanif

Buddhist philosophers say: "Our mind is Buddha". Then they say: "It Is Not Mind, It Is Not Buddha, It Is Not Things" (A is not A) According to this logic, anyone can say "I am a Sufi but I am not a Sufi".

a_stranger

Taswuf is an arabic word for ismlamic philosophy . El-Gazali tried to revive the shariah with the sufism.
In sufism there are many brotherhood ot tarikats, the cleanest tarikat is the nakshibendi tarikat. In the Ottoman empire, dervishes or sufid had the function to make dawah. What do you think about sufism?

I believe that Islam if practiced with sincerity as our prophet and his companions did can bring a spiritual perfection within hearts and society . We will be closer to Allah subhanahu wa taaala. The more we are closer to the way of our prophet the more achievement we can gain spiritually and morally . This is the way of truth and success .

sclavus

I believe that Islam if practiced with sincerity as our prophet and his companions did can bring a spiritual perfection within hearts and society . We will be closer to Allah subhanahu wa taaala. The more we are closer to the way of our prophet the more achievement we can gain spiritually and morally . This is the way of truth and success .

Indeed, good sister!

Wise words!