Attire for Muslims

melbman

We know that the Muslimahs have the hijab, niqab, and other dressware. But for us males, do we have any special attire that we should wear. If yes, what, and on what occasion should we wear it?

Thank you for your time and patience.

icadams

There are no specific styles of clothing for Muslims. Most of what we equate as 'Muslim dress' is actually cultural and not part of the Deen. That being said, there are standards of decorum that all Muslims must follow. For men, that means do not wear skin tight or revealing clothing. Cover the area between the navel and the knees. Do not wear gold jewelry, do not get tattoos, body piercings or other modifications. Beyond that, wear what you want, just be modest and decent.

Hassan

Laa ilaha ilaa Allah
Staff member
Kufi is a strong identifier of Islam, but the head is not ‘awrah, and it is not obligatory to cover it whilst praying.

mohammadyunus

The dress of a muslim man should not be imitation of the kuffar. Loose clothing preferably a kurta pyjama or shalwar kameez . The clothing which identifies with muslim attire. Wearing of tshirts and jeans is unislamic. Men should also avoid wearing suits, ties and dress which resembles the mushrik.
Wearing white clothes is sunnah.

mohammadyunus

Kufi is a strong identifier of Islam, but the head is not ‘awrah, and it is not obligatory to cover it whilst praying.
dont write about what you dont know.
Give me one instance, one hadith, which shows that our prophet ever prayed bare headed, ever.

SonOfAdam

Staff member
The Prophet SAW was reported to pray a few times without anything on his head. Times of this was when he did not have a sutra so he took off his turban and used it as a sutra and also when he was shaved bald and on hajj he did not have anything on his head during salaht then either. The sunnah is to wear the imama (turban) and if you do so with the intention of imitating the Prophet SAW then you get ajr for this. It is best to pray and walk around with your head covered, this is how it has always been in Islamic society up until recent times. It is not required for salaht as the majority of scholars, all I have seen, have this opinion. Just like women should cover their head, it is better if men do it too out of modesty as well.

As the brothers mentioned, loose clothing that is not transparent from the navel to just below the knees is the only mandatory dress code for men.

I just want to mention the following too because many Muslims know this wrong. It is wajib (required) to have a beard for men (grow the beard trim the mustache as the Prophet SAW said), all 4 schools of thought agree upon this. So this is also related to our appearance that I wished to share. So a turban and kufi (which did not even exist in the time of the Prophet SAW) are not required but a beard definitely is (so long as you can grow one of course.).

Precious Star

Aren´t those cultural clothes? I think better just try to wear modesty, what ever kind of clothes you will use.

Yes sister, they are clothes worn only in the subcontinent - India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh. They are not necessarily "Islamic" clothing but they are loose garments.

Aapa

Mirajmom
The issue is really simple. You wear modest clothing.

Bearing that in mind you have to understand Islam was not sent as a regional faith. It is for all of Creation through the ages. We are given reason ( some of us anyway, Alhumdullila) What you wear in 100 F is not what you wear in 0 F.

I fail to see how a cultural/regional distinction in clothing is going to make me more or of less of a Believer. I am not Arab nor am I Middle Eastern nor am I Asian...I am simply American. Within American fashion there is a lot of room in the closet to accommodate my needs for modest clothing.

It is my behavior that makes me a Believer. If clothing was the key for me to enter paradise I would be the first in line to wear only that type of outfit.