Reverts!: Your First Ramadan.

umm hussain

Fasting is not as bad as some people think.mine wasn't too bad, I didn't have any problems maybe due the fact that I was almost anorexic in jahiliyah helped I was too worried about not gaining weight and didn't want to look fat and I had to maintain a size 8 figure otherwise I wouldn't look good. How sad.

Ling

I had no problems fasting except that some born muslims I knew were trying to get me to break my fast for trivial reasons.

learnermuslim

Salaams,

Just with reference to Sister Ling's post, how sad, have the same experience with it comes to non-drinking, its funny only how born muslims try to get me to drink, question this stance, while my non-muslim friends not only accept it, some admire it. Just shows their weaknesses and insecurities.

I pray Sister you and we all can be guarded by Allah from these mislead, idiotic people.

MubarekMuslimah

Salaams,

I will be honest. My first Ramadan was tough. I struggled. But by the next Ramadan I had increased my knowledge and iman greatly alhamdulillah and I found it much much easier with strong iman in my heart. It is mind over matter brothers and sisters - you need to sort the mind ( and heart) out ( iman) before you can control the body ( desire to eat.) When you fully understand Ramadan and love Allah swt, you see it as the blessing that it is, rather than a hardship.

Salaams

Umm3mar

Salam

Alhamdu'lillah my first Ramadhan was very easy, 6 a.m.-5 p.m. (The easiest time of North America, mid. Nov-mid. Dec.

Fasting while single was easier. (The other facets of fasting are more of a challenge than hunger or thirst.)

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman
:salam2:

my first ramadan, i would say was very mixed. i physically and mentally had no problem with it, but i was constantly surrounded by people that weren't fasting. i just remained strong and reminded myself of the reward.

ShyHijabi

My first Ramadan was a mix. I was away from all my friends and family....still am...and was very lost feeling. The other Muslims tried to make it easier for me but they had so many cultural practices that I didn't understand that I felt even more isolated sometimes.

To compound the difficulty, I am in the Carribean and going without anything to drink was TOUGH. I was constantly dehydrated and trying to attend class in full Islamic cover...and the AC kept breaking. SO sometimes it was 90+ degrees in the classrooms. Whew! Then to add insult to injury.....we had a test the evening of Eid. :girl3: So instead of breaking fast in a celebration....I was doing it with bottled water in a test room.

~Sarah

alkathiri

As-Shafaa'i(Brother)
My first Ramadan was a mix. I was away from all my friends and family....still am...and was very lost feeling. The other Muslims tried to make it easier for me but they had so many cultural practices that I didn't understand that I felt even more isolated sometimes.

To compound the difficulty, I am in the Carribean and going without anything to drink was TOUGH. I was constantly dehydrated and trying to attend class in full Islamic cover...and the AC kept breaking. SO sometimes it was 90+ degrees in the classrooms. Whew! Then to add insult to injury.....we had a test the evening of Eid. :girl3: So instead of breaking fast in a celebration....I was doing it with bottled water in a test room.

~Sarah

:salam2:
mashAllah a tough test indeed...but siting for a test during fasting is barakah..
90+ degree ...phew....

liaa

well,i know that sometimes fasting can be hard, and when people are all around you eating delicious stuff, and when you have to break the fast in the middle of an exam , but still it's very nice , cause throw the days when you break the fast in the middle of an exam by drinking water, you have those days when you break the fast in the middle of your family, near the ppl you love , with good food, seeing everyone happy and healthy .
So ,if you can't be near your family when you break the fast , than at list invite your friends over to you, to eat with you, so you won't fell lonely , or go with someone at the restaurant .
i'm alway waiting for the ramadan, it's the only month when all the family is eating together every day , and after the ramadan has ended is so hard for us to stop eating at the sunshine, it's like destroying us( cause after 1 month ramadan has already become small part of our lifes)
and i have to say that not all the members of my family ar muslims, but we all enjoy eating together on the ramadan .

Ali_Ibrahim

I was born muslim, and i understand this post is mainly for converts but i just wanted to share a ramadan moment with you guys. As a kid, (about 11-13) I loved physical education. I loved juggling, playing dodge ball, kick ball, soccer, and most of all, 'climbing the rope'.. Generally speaking, after any workout of some sort, you tend to work up a thirst and seeing that it was ramadan time, i would try to fast but i obviously couldn't keep it because i would run to the water fountain. So i would scheme around looking, making sure no one was around and when i went home, i'd act like i was still fasting for the day because i didnt wanna upset my mom

American Muslim

Just Another Slave
My first ramadan was very nice. Fasting wasn't much of a problem, because I am by myself at work, so temptations were far away.

Now, Eid...sacrifice is a difficult thing for reverts. But you just sort of swallow your quesiness and realize you are doing what Allah Ta'alla wants of you.

SafiyahAmaaniUK

Alhamdulilah, mine was great, i kept all my rozas, although coming from a non muslim family, it was kinda lonely but MashAllah I have been blessed with many Muslim friends, who made my journey alot easier