Homemade Sweets

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
Cookie Butter Truffles

Cookie-Butter-Balls-these-are-so-easy-to-make-and-so-delicious11.jpg

Ingredients

2 cups creamy cookie butter (See recipe below if you can´t find it from market)
1/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 - 2 1/2 cups confectioners sugar

for the chocolate coating:

1 cup chocolate chips
1 tsp+ vegetable oil

Instructions

In a large bowl, combine butter, sugar, cookie butter and vanilla until mixed well. Your butter will need to be soft but not melted for this to work.

When dough is well mixed it will be slightly tacky but not too sticky. If it is still very sticky to the touch, add more powdered sugar, a teaspoon at a time.

When the dough is ready, roll into small balls about 1" large.

Place on wax paper and chill in fridge or freezer for at least 1 hour.

When truffles are ready, melt chocolate 35 seconds at a time in microwave, stirring in between each time in until fully melted.

Add 1 tsp vegetable oil and mix. If chocolate is slightly runny (comes off a spoon in ribbon, not in clumps), it is ready. If it is still too thick, add more oil slowly (a drizzle at a time- you dont want too much.)

Using a truffle fork (or toothpick), dip balls into chocolate and remove to set on wax paper.

When all balls are coated, set in a cool, dry place to set. I like to keep them in the fridge and pop them out a few minutes before eating so they are slightly cool.

Keeps up to one week in an airtight container in the refrigerator.

Source: http://sweetcsdesigns.com/cookie-butter-truffles/

Homemade Cookie Butter

cookiebutter2.jpg

Yield: about 1 cup

250 grams cookies
¼ cup brown sugar
1 cup coconut milk
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 teaspoons lemon juice
½ teaspoon cinnamon

Instructions

Put the cookies in a food processor and grind them to a fine powder. add the brown sugar and pulse the food processor a few times to mix it in. add the rest of the ingredients and let the processor run until everything is combined into a smooth paste. scrape down the sides of the processor if necessary.

Store the cookie butter in an airtight container in the fridge. i found that at first, mine was a little too loose/liquidy, but after it chilled in the fridge it was perfect.

Source: http://withloveandcupcakes.com/2014/01/03/homemade-cookie-butter/

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
Silky Dark Chocolate Truffles

Makes 64 small truffles

Ingredients:

For the truffles:

6 oz bittersweet chocolate (I used Ghirardelli 60% cacao), roughly chopped
6 oz semi-sweet chocolate (I used Ghirardelli semi-sweet), roughly chopped
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 Tbsp light corn syrup
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
pinch kosher salt
1 1/2 Tbsp unsalted butter, cut into 8 pieces and softened

For the coating:

20 oz chocolate bark
sea salt for sprinkling

Instructions:

Take a look at my notes in the blog post above on the key techniques in this recipe: http://www.coffeeandquinoa.com/2013/02/silky-dark-chocolate-truffles/

Spray an 8-inch square baking dish with cooking spray. Line with 2 sheets of parchment paper, perpendicular to each other to form a cross, and spray the parchment paper with cooking spray.

Microwave chocolate in a heat-proof dish until melted and no chunks remain, stopping to stir every 30 seconds. Set aside.

Microwave cream (separately) until warm to the touch, 30-45 seconds. Stir corn syrup, vanilla, and salt into cream. Pour mixture over chocolate. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to sit for 3 minutes, then stir (with a spoon, not a whisk!) until thoroughly combined.

Stir in butter, one piece at a time, until thoroughly incorporated.

Spread the chocolate mixture into the prepared baking dish. Allow to sit (uncovered) at room temperature for 2 hours. Then cover and transfer to the fridge to cool for at least another 2 hours, or up to overnight. (I did overnight.)

After truffles have cooled for the allotted amount of time, remove from the refrigerator. Using the parchment paper, pull the layer of chocolate out of the baking dish. Run a sharp knife under hot water, and cut the square of chocolate into 64 squares (8 rows by 8 rows). Coat palms lightly in cocoa powder and roll each square into a ball. You may find that about halfway through, the chocolate is too warm to roll into balls. In this case, refrigerate the remaining squares for 5-10 minutes, then continue.

Now you are ready to coat the truffles. If coating in sprinkles, nuts, cocoa powder, etc. instead of melted chocolate, simply roll each truffle in your hands for a few seconds to warm it and make the outside stickier, then roll in the desired coating. If coating in chocolate bark, microwave chocolate bark in 30-second increments, stirring in between, until melted. Roll each truffle around in the chocolate bark, using a fork, until thoroughly coated. Set on a plate or baking sheet and sprinkle with a pinch of sea salt. Drag a toothpick around the bottom of the truffle to cut off the chocolate “foot” that might develop as some of the chocolate coating slides down the truffle. This will make that easy to break off, leaving you with round truffles, rather than round truffles sitting in pools of hardened chocolate. Chocolate bark should harden within several minutes, at which point you should definitely sample one, and then return the rest to the refrigerator for another 2 hours.

These truffles are best stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Allow to sit at room temperature for 5 minutes or so before serving.

Source: http://www.coffeeandquinoa.com/2013/02/silky-dark-chocolate-truffles/

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
Oatmeal Cookie Dough Truffles

Oatmeal-Cookie-Dough-Truffle-2.jpg

Yields about 4-5 1/2 dozen depending on the size made

Ingredients:

Filling

-1 cup old fashioned oats
-1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
-3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
-1/8 teaspoon salt
-1/2 teaspoon vanilla
-1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
-Heaping 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
-1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
-1/4 cup coarsely chopped raisins

Coating

-2 cups chopped white chocolate
-2 tablespoons shortening
-1/8 teaspoon cinnamon

Method:

Cook the oats over medium-low heat until lightly toasted. Pulse in a food processor until broken up slightly.

Set aside. For the filling, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in salt and vanilla.

Combine oats with flour and cinnamon. Gradually add oat mixture, alternately with milk beating well after each addition. Stir in chopped raisins.

Shape into 1 inch balls; place on waxed paper-lined baking sheets. Alternatively, grease and flour small silicone truffle molds and press in cookie dough. Loosely cover and refrigerate for one to two hours or until firm.

Bring a saucepan of water to a simmer over a burner. In a glass bowl combine the white chocolate, shortening. and cinnamon. Place over the saucepan (the water should NOT touch the bottom of the bowl) and stir until chocolate and shortening are melted and well combined. (Alternatively you can place these three ingredients in a microwave safe bowl and microwave at half power for 30 second intervals until melted.
You’ll just want to keep an eye on it to ensure the chocolate does not burn.) Dip cookie dough in coating, allowing excess to drip off; place on waxed paper-lined baking sheets. Refrigerate until firm, about 15 minutes. Store any leftovers truffles in the refrigerator or the freezer. Mine have typically kept for a week or more in the fridge and 1 month in the freezer when well wrapped.

Source: http://pink-apron.com/2011/12/oatmeal-cookie-dough-truffles/

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
Tutti Frutti Truffles

article-1229204-0741C7D5000005DC-511_468x304.jpg

Makes about 25 squares

200g (7oz) white chocolate, broken into chunks
125g (4 1/2oz) butter, diced
150g (5 1/2oz) multi-coloured glace cherries (red, green and yellow)
6 rich tea biscuits
50g (1 3/4oz) dried cranberries (or raisins)

Place the chocolate and butter in a bowl and carefully melt together in the microwave or over a pan of gently simmering water. Rinse the cherries in a sieve (this takes away the stickiness) and pat dry, then place on a chopping board. Chop the cherries into small pieces and add to the bowl of chocolate and butter, along with the cranberries. Place the biscuits in a sandwich bag and bash with a rolling pin until you have crumbs. Add to the bowl and then mix everything together.

Line a small square cake tin with clingfilm and tip in the mixture. Place clingfilm over the top and press down with a potato masher to level out the surface. Ideally, you need the mixture to be about 2-3cm (3/4-1 1/4in) deep, so if the tin is too big, press the mix down into one end and fold over the clingfilm to hold in place. Place in the fridge for a few hours to set, before turning out onto a board and cutting into squares.

Source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/food/article-1229204/Christmas-recipes-Tutti-frutti-truffles.html

friend263

Oatmeal Cookie Dough Truffles

Oatmeal-Cookie-Dough-Truffle-2.jpg

Yields about 4-5 1/2 dozen depending on the size made

Ingredients:

Filling

-1 cup old fashioned oats
-1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
-3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
-1/8 teaspoon salt
-1/2 teaspoon vanilla
-1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
-Heaping 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
-1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
-1/4 cup coarsely chopped raisins
Coating

-2 cups chopped white chocolate
-2 tablespoons shortening
-1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
Method:

Cook the oats over medium-low heat until lightly toasted. Pulse in a food processor until broken up slightly.

Set aside. For the filling, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in salt and vanilla.

Combine oats with flour and cinnamon. Gradually add oat mixture, alternately with milk beating well after each addition. Stir in chopped raisins.

Shape into 1 inch balls; place on waxed paper-lined baking sheets. Alternatively, grease and flour small silicone truffle molds and press in cookie dough. Loosely cover and refrigerate for one to two hours or until firm.

Bring a saucepan of water to a simmer over a burner. In a glass bowl combine the white chocolate, shortening. and cinnamon. Place over the saucepan (the water should NOT touch the bottom of the bowl) and stir until chocolate and shortening are melted and well combined. (Alternatively you can place these three ingredients in a microwave safe bowl and microwave at half power for 30 second intervals until melted.
You’ll just want to keep an eye on it to ensure the chocolate does not burn.) Dip cookie dough in coating, allowing excess to drip off; place on waxed paper-lined baking sheets. Refrigerate until firm, about 15 minutes. Store any leftovers truffles in the refrigerator or the freezer. Mine have typically kept for a week or more in the fridge and 1 month in the freezer when well wrapped.

Source: http://pink-apron.com/2011/12/oatmeal-cookie-dough-truffles/
What is shortening?

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
What is shortening?

Shortening is any fat that is solid at room temperature and used to make crumbly pastry. Shortening is used in pastries that should not be elastic, such as cake. Although butter is solid at room temperature and is frequently used in making pastry, the term "shortening" seldom refers to butter, but is more closely related to margarine.

zaman-gm

Tutti Frutti Truffles

article-1229204-0741C7D5000005DC-511_468x304.jpg

Makes about 25 squares

200g (7oz) white chocolate, broken into chunks
125g (4 1/2oz) butter, diced
150g (5 1/2oz) multi-coloured glace cherries (red, green and yellow)
6 rich tea biscuits
50g (1 3/4oz) dried cranberries (or raisins)

Place the chocolate and butter in a bowl and carefully melt together in the microwave or over a pan of gently simmering water. Rinse the cherries in a sieve (this takes away the stickiness) and pat dry, then place on a chopping board. Chop the cherries into small pieces and add to the bowl of chocolate and butter, along with the cranberries. Place the biscuits in a sandwich bag and bash with a rolling pin until you have crumbs. Add to the bowl and then mix everything together.

Line a small square cake tin with clingfilm and tip in the mixture. Place clingfilm over the top and press down with a potato masher to level out the surface. Ideally, you need the mixture to be about 2-3cm (3/4-1 1/4in) deep, so if the tin is too big, press the mix down into one end and fold over the clingfilm to hold in place. Place in the fridge for a few hours to set, before turning out onto a board and cutting into squares.

Source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/food/article-1229204/Christmas-recipes-Tutti-frutti-truffles.html
Oh' I can't prevent my tongue.:19-angry-red:

Aapa

Mirajmom
No, it is not ghee.

For non-Muslims it is lard. Pork fat.

It can be a vegetable based paste.....Crisco is the brand I use. It is excellent for making pastry. It is great to use in frying chicken. It is very light. It is not good for you. Olive oil is good. Fry chicken in Crisco and it is finger licking good.

( love you Tabassum....I am fine...wasting time while I look for employment yet again...driving the brothers at my masjid crazy...loving every minute of it..)

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah
Well we don't get crisco here. Here we just have ghee (brands like dalda). And don't use the homemade ghee for recipes like this either.

I wish you well aapa. Inshallah you'll find a job soon. I was feeling a little bit depressed right now thinking of my future and wondering what will happen to me. Who will take care of me when I'm old,etc. so I came to look at some yummy foods.

Actually this thread is too sweet for me. I can't take this many sweets. Something savory for me please :)

Aapa

Mirajmom
Sister,

Here in the US we really to have to check the ingredients for pies; they love the lard.

I do not know why but it makes pastry very flaky. I would love for you to give us instructions on making a simple pastry puff. I have tried ice cold water it helps but the pastry is not as flaky as I love.

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
Sister,

Here in the US we really to have to check the ingredients for pies; they love the lard.

I do not know why but it makes pastry very flaky. I would love for you to give us instructions on making a simple pastry puff. I have tried ice cold water it helps but the pastry is not as flaky as I love.

I think that sis Tab asked same before and I posted already recipe of simple pastry puff here. I will looking for it soon and add link to it here.

:agreed:

Aapa

Mirajmom
I see you use butter...the cookbooks here call for shortening and not butter....what does that do to cooking time? How long to bake ten minutes or more?

( why don't you sell your cookbook..knowing you you will use the profits for zakat....I would buy one.)

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
I see you use butter...the cookbooks here call for shortening and not butter....what does that do to cooking time? How long to bake ten minutes or more?

( why don't you sell your cookbook..knowing you you will use the profits for zakat....I would buy one.)

Now this is not easy question at all. It is more complicated because in other countries might be different kind of products for sale than in some others and in them, like with margarine, might have different fat content or they might contains more water than some others and it may change how you can use them in baking (as well what you are baking).

Simple to say:

Margarine can be substituted for butter in most cases. Sometimes a recipe states that no substitution is allowed. When the recipe calls for unsalted butter it will change the taste, and then you can use less salt in the recipe and equal out. Butter does have a distinct flavor that is best in cookies, but using margarine won't change the consistency.

A bit more:
Margarine has a higher water content, so it won't give the same results with many recipes as butter, and can affect both taste and texture. Pie crust and some cookies are good examples of this, also many cake recipes don't allow for substitution.

If your recipe says to use shortening, it means most likely that you can use butter or margarine, again depending what kind of dough you are making. Note also: Do not substitute "light," "lite" or "low fat" margarine for butter in any recipe, because these products contain a lot of water and will not bake in the same way as butter.

Cariad

Sister,

It is possible to get vegetable lard in the UK Its vegetarian alternative to lard, it is a solid fat made from hydrogenated vegetable oils, although for cookies I would maybe use the butter for flavour or margarine.

Lots of folding of pastry layers between rolling gives lighter layers. :)