Sayings of Ibn Al-Qayyim al-Jawzziya:

a_stranger

Tribulations

“He whom Allah has predestined to enter Paradise, the reasons which will cause his entrance shall spring from calamities; and he whom Allah has predestined to enter the Hellfire, the reasons which will cause his entrance shall spring from lusts.” Ibn Al-Qayyim

a_stranger

Love of Allah

“It is a stage that all of those who are striving and competing are competing for it and it is a kind of life that if you are missing it you are one of the dead.

It is a light that if you are without it you are in and ocean of darkness. It is a medicine or cure that if you are without it, your heart becomes a place of sicknesses.

It is a sweetness or pleasure that if you are without it, life becomes a thing of worries and of pain.” Ibn Qayyim al Jawziyyah

a_stranger

Hardening of the Heart

“The slave is not afflicted with a punishment greater than the hardening of the heart and being distant from Allah. For the Fire was created to melt the hardened heart. The most distant heart from Allah is the heart which is hardened. If the heart becomes hardened, the eye becomes dry.” Ibn Al-Qayyim

a_stranger

The Keys to the Heart

“The keys to the life of the heart lie in reflecting upon the Quran, being humble before Allah in secret, and leaving sins.” Ibn Qayyim al Jawziyyah

a_stranger

Illumination of the Heart

“Worship and obedience illuminate the heart and make it strong and steadfast, until it becomes like a clear mirror, shining with light.

When Shaytaan draws close, he is struck by its light like those who try to eavesdrop [in the heavens] are struck by the shooting stars, and Shaytaan flees from this heart with more terror than a wolf fleeing from a lion. “Al-Qayyim

a_stranger

Five pillars of Gratitude

“Gratitude is built upon five pillars: Submissiveness to Allah from the one expressing gratitude; loving Him for it; acknowledging His favor; praising Him for it; and not utilizing it in a way that displeases Him.” Ibn al-Qayyim

a_stranger

Traveler carrying Dirt

“Deeds without sincerity are like a traveler who carries in his water-jug dirt. The carrying of it burdens him and it brings no benefit” Ibn al Qayyim

a_stranger

The Heart and Body get sick

“The heart gets sick as the body does and its cure is in asking for forgiveness and protection. It also becomes rusty like a mirror does and it is polished by remembering Allah.

The heart can also be naked like the body and can lose its dress and decoration, which is piety, and it can feel hunger and thirst like the body does, and its nourishment is knowledge, love, trust, and offering service to Allah.” Ibn-ul-Qayyim

Abu Juwairiya

Even though this thread is about sayings of Ibn Qayyim Al Jawziyyah, I hope I will not be indicted for speaking about his qualities and descriptions as well.

"Al-Hafiz Ibn Rajah said: 'So we conclude that his gatherings of
exhortation were one of a kind and nobody had heard of anything
like them.

They were gatherings of great benefit where the heedless
would be reminded, the ignorant would come to know, the sinners
would repent and the polytheists would become Muslims."

(Source: "Thail Tabaqat Al- Hanabila, 1/410)

"Shaikh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyyah said in Al-Ajwiba al-Misriyyah'
Shaikh Abul-Faraj excelled in many sciences and has many writings to his account.

He would write on many topics, and as I counted his works I found them to be over one thousand in number. Later, I came to know of works also."

'He was the leading figure in reminding the people and had no equal.
He would recite pleasant poetry and eloquent prose spontaneously
and his fine words and moving speech was abundant. There has
never been anyone like him, not before him and not after him.

He is the carrier of the flag of exhortation in its various forms. He had a pleasant appearance and a good voice and his lectures had an impact on peoples' hearts. His lifestyle in general was beautiful." (Source Spoken By Al Hafiz Al Dhahabi and found in "Siyar Al-A'lam Al-Nubula", 21/367)

a_stranger

Ibn Katheer also said: "I do not know, in this time of ours, anyone in the world who worships greater than him(Ibn al-Qayyim) . He used to have a particular manner with respect to the prayer. He would lengthen it a great deal, would extend its bowing and prostrating. Many of his associates would censure him at times but he would never return and leave alone this (action of his), may Allaah have mercy upon him."

Abu Juwairiya

Ten Types of Modesty by Ibn Qayyim

1. The modesty of Shame: This is similar to the modesty of Adam (Alaihis salam) when he fled in paradise after eating from the forbidden tree. Allah asked him “Are you fleeing form me O Adam because of your sin?” He said: “No my lord! Rather it is out of shame that I flee from you!”

2. The modesty that results in you realizing your shortcomings
such as; the modesty of the angels, those who praise Allah day and night and never enervate. On the Day of Judgment they will say Subhanaka! (i.e. Glory be to You!) we did not worship You as You deserved to be worshiped.”

3. The modesty of Magnification
: This modesty is a result of knowledge. The extent of knowledge the slave has of his Lord, will determine how modest or shy of Him he/she is.

4. The modesty of Generosity:
This is similar to the modesty of the Prophet (Sallahu alaihi wa salam) with those people he invited to the walimah (i.e. marriage banquet) of Zaynab Bint Jahsh (Radiyallahu anha)and they stayed with him longer than necessary, so he stood up and walked away without saying to them “Leave!”.

5. The modesty of Embarrassment: This is similar to the modesty of Ali Ibn Talib (Radiyallahu anhu)when he was too embarrassed to ask the Prophet himself about the pre-seminal discharge he was experiencing, because he was married to his daughter.

6. The modesty of Low self-worth:
This is similar to the modesty of the slave in front of his lord when he asks Him for his needs, knowing that he doesn’t deserve it. In a narration of Bani Israel Musa (Alaihis salam) said: “O lord, a need or desire of this life arises and I am too modest to ask You for it O lord!” So Allah responded to him by saying: “Ask me for what whatever you like, whether it is the salt for your dough or the fodder for your herd!” And it is possible that this is because of two things:

7. The modesty of Love:
This is the modesty of the one who loves another, and when he thinks in his heart of the one he loves during his absence, his modesty for him is greater than what he feels for him in his presence and he doesn’t even know why. There is no doubt that the love of a person has a stronger and more magnificent authority over the individual than the authority of the one who conquers the body physically. And because of this, kings and elite authority wonder in amazement about creation and how they are conquered because of the love they have for someone greater than they are conquered by power and physical authority. We asked Sheikh ul Islam Ibn Taymiyah (Rahimahullah) about this issue, and I mentioned this to him and he just smiled and didn’t say anything.

8. The modesty of Servitude
: This is the type of modesty that is mixed with love and fear while witnessing that there is no perfection in his worship or servitude to the One he worships. And the slave acknowledges that his Lord is greater and more opulent than what he is offering of worship, so his servitude to Allah causes him to be modest of Him, and there is no way around this.

9. The modesty of honor and dignity:
The modesty of the noble and prestigious soul. if he does something that is beneath his caliber, either by exerting himself or doing some random act of good, he is modest despite what he has exerted of himself with a type of modesty that is honorable and dignified, and there are two reasons for this:

10. The modesty of an individual regarding himself: This is the modesty of the noble, honorable and dignified individual due to him being pleased with the fact that he has some shortcomings. He prostrates himself out of modesty as if he has two personalities. He is modest with one regarding the other and this is the most complete form of modesty. If the slave is modest regarding himself then he is more likely to be modest in front of others. (Source: "Madarij us Saalikeen" Vol. 2 P 267 “Al Hayaa’ (i.e. modesty) By Ibn Qayyim Al Jawziyyah

Abu Juwairiya

Three Levels of Taqwaa

"Taqwaa has three levels:

The first: Protecting the heart and limbs from sins and all forbidden matters.
The second: Protecting the heart and limbs form disliked matters [Makrooh].
The third: Protecting oneself from the fudool [curiosity] and what does not concern him.

The first gives the servant his life, the second gives him health and strength and the third enables him to gain happiness, contentment and light.” (Source: Ibn al Qayyim; Al Fawaid, P 45)

Abu Juwairiya

Six Etiquettes of Learning

“There are six stages to knowledge:-

Firstly: Asking questions in a good manner.

Secondly: Remaining quiet and listening attentively.

Thirdly: Understanding well.

Fourthly: Memorising.

Fifthly: Teaching.

Sixthly - and it is its fruit: Acting upon the knowledge and keeping to its limits.” (Source: Ibn al Qayyim; Miftah Dârus-Sa’adah, P 283)

Abdur_Rahman1

Da'wah Man 2.0

The Divine Decree:

Ibn al-Qayyim rahimahullaah said in his Madaarij as Saalikeen:

The Divine Decree related to the believer is always a bounty, even if it is in the form of withholding [something that is desired]. And it is a blessing, even if it appears to be a trial. And an affliction that has befallen him is in reality a cure, even though it appears to be a disease.

Unfortunately, due to the ignorance of the worshipper and his transgressions, he does not consider anything to be a gift or a blessing or a cure unless he can enjoy it immediately and it is in accordance with his nature. If he were only given a little bit of understanding, then he would have counted being withheld from as a blessing, and the sickness as a mercy. And he would relish the trouble that befalls him more than he relishes his ease, and he would enjoy poverty more than he enjoys richness, and he would be more thankful when he is blessed with little than when he is blessed with a lot.

Abu Juwairiya

"Seeking Forgiveness has a profound effect on repelling grief, anguish, sadness and depression. This is in fact agreed upon by those of wisdom of every nation. This is because sins and errors bring about grief, anguish, fear, sadness, distress and ailments of the hearts. After a while, those who are used to committing evil and sins will get bored with them. Then, they will commit these errors to drive away the depression that they feel. Since these are the effects of sins and errors on the hearts, then the only remedy for this condition includes seeking forgiveness and repenting (to Allah)." (Source: Ibn Qayyim Al Jawziyah, 'Healing with the Medicine of the Prophet', P 189)