Muhammad Abdul Wahab and the Question of Assisting the Kufaar against Muslims

Abu Juwairiya

His own descendants aided the British against the Ottomans. Strange isn't it?

Jazakallah Khayrun Brother Mehmet. First, I would prefer if we don't use the term, 'Ottoman'. It is an Anglicised word coined and corrupted by the Kuffar because they could not pronounce 'Usmani' [Empire]. It has since been unfortunately accepted by Muslims and used when we are aware it is not from Islamic terminology and has no basis in Islamic history either.

Second, you are correct, the Saudi state has existed three times. The first and second did not use Kuffar assistance and lasted until 1818 and the second until 1891.

It was the third (1932-Present) that involved British orders arms since 1914. Against the Usmani Khilafa, Abdul Aziz spent 23 years of war (1901-1924), of which ten were with direct British assistance.

Regular financial assistance was dependent on British policy in the Middle East, both over the condition of the Khilafah and particularly Palestine. The plan often involved forcing tens of thousands of Turkish legions away from strategic battlegrounds and defending lesser or weaker garrisons elsewhere, with the view that British and French units could launch assaults and lightening raids on designated areas and take them with limited loss of life and less risk.

Abu Juwairiya

Recently declassified British files also show that Abdul Aziz was aware and tacitly agreed to launch his own assaults on his adversaries, the Rasheedi family, who were under Turkish over lordship when the invasion of Palestine was to be commenced.

In this manner, cities like Hail were attacked and besieged through British orders, even when Abdul Aziz preferred other cities. The reality he was he had to obey without question, as long as he wanted British arms and support.

The issue here was that Palestine was to be removed from Muslim control and placed under the Kufaar and he agreed- by attacking those cities and towns in what is now Saudi Arabia only when given the orders to do so to allow the British to successfully invade Palestine.

Other declassified files confirm the words and declaration of Waleed Ibn Talal, a member of the Saudi royal family, that his famous grandfather, Abdul Aziz, came to the throne, not by virtue of popularity, his vision, the promise of Shariah legislation, but through British patronage alone.

Abu Juwairiya

I enclose a verbatim letter by Abdul Aziz to the British government as verification of his intentions and personal policy before he became King.

I have reprinted it in full, just as it is written and available for public viewing. The redactions in the writing are there because the information has not been released in its complete form by the British government.

"The co operation with the [Arabian] friends is incumbent upon us (and so is for us to) use our good offices with our friends, the illustrious Government [the British government] in all useful actions which may be required by her.

And I am using my endeavours, in all efforts in furthering the common interests of all friends. You should rest fully assured and confident in this matter. I am one of the greatest helpers of the Government of Great Britain, and she will, God Willing, obtain satisfactory results, as we have mentioned to our mutual friend, Captain Shakespear..... as to the promise of the exalted Government [United Kingdom] to protect and safeguard us against the Ottoman Government.... and her recognition of the independence of my [rule] on all parts of Nejd, Al-Hasa and Qatif and the conclusion of treaties between us.... we will make the necessary .... in order that we may earn the approval of our friend, the Government of Great Britain." (Source: 'The Creation of Saudi Arabia: Ibn Saud and British Imperial Policy, 1914-1927' By Askar Al-Enaizy, P 51, 2010)