At U.S. base, South Korean ex-prostitutes face eviction

Abu Juwairiya

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20...an-ex-prostitutes-face-eviction/#.VEu_PWAtAqQ

The above story relates to two kinds of South Korean women. The first were used against their will by Japanese soldiers in the Second World War and the second were used by American and South Korean soldiers during the Korean War (1950-53).

Some women went voluntarily to a US military base and others were taken there by pimps. Over time the South Korean government regulated and sanctioned its legitimacy and the women accepted their 'status'. Now many are in their seventies or older, they are facing evictions in makeshift homes near the base and nightclubs which are also close by.

I posted the story to show how women there have been used and abused for the sake and pleasure of two governments and one foreign military and dispensed with once the women are unable to offer their services. Neither government seems interested in accepting them or compensating the women for the years the latter offered and gave their services.

Precious Star

This is interesting, I guess, but on an Islamic website it is preferable to read about Islamic issues. How do islamic states treat prostitutes? do Muslims punish men who use prostitutes?

Etc.

South Korea holds little value in expanding our islamic knowledge or informing us of how Muslims are behaving (the good, the bad and the ugly)

Abu Juwairiya

This is interesting, I guess, but on an Islamic website it is preferable to read about Islamic issues. How do islamic states treat prostitutes? do Muslims punish men who use prostitutes?

Etc.

South Korea holds little value in expanding our islamic knowledge or informing us of how Muslims are behaving (the good, the bad and the ugly)

I strongly disagree and I don't believe you have the right to be too judgmental either. The fact that something like this happens in Non Muslim societies is and can be revealing. Not just in the manner in why it transpired and over several generations, but also in how it is handled by the so called proper authorities.

Remember, it is the US who is involved here, the 'unbiased judge' of all that stands for good and right and the one leading the struggle and war on Islam, so hence it is quite relevant and contemporaneous.

South Korea, also is a recent member of the Western nations club since the 1990s, due to its rapid industrialisation, GNP and economic growth and as such another 'model' for the world today. The fact that different countries can and are often used as examples of 'ideal societies' means they stand in opposition to Islam and that many in the world today will cite or accept them as so.

South Korea is one such dominion, not so at present in terms of morality, but as a financial and enterprising young nation state that has withstood and survived the first capital crisis (the credit crunch) despite some upheavals and continues to demonstrate both survival, drive and ambition.

Islamically, we know policies in the form of the above and legalisation of prostitution in that manner, does not exist in the Muslim world and are not likely either. This is one reason that Non Muslims can see Muslim nations would not tolerate or allow such notions in the first place, irrespective of what other opinions one may hold.

True, we have problems in Muslim countries and we do not wish them to be discussed or spoken of, some are similar, others are different, a few are exaggerated and many are falsified, but no matter how we feel about them, they will be even if personally say nothing about Non Muslims.

Being Muslim does not mean you restrict yourself to what is happening in countries where Islam is either the majority, a substantive minority or otherwise. The Prophet Muhammad was sent to the human race and that includes South Korea.

I agree we can also speak of how Islam views the matter and that is the purpose of a forum, you can address it; develop your points, construct your argument and deliver your response on the topic, rather than judge me in the way that you have.

Last edited:

Precious Star

With all due respect, I have NOT judged you. In fact, and Allah is my witness, I have not referred to you at all in my comment but instead I commented on the nature of the article that you posted. I have indicated my opinion on a post of this nature, and whether it is a useful "fit" in the theme of this website.

I am allowed to indicate my opinion. And, I will continue to do so. I am sorry if you disagree with it, as that is your right, but for you to state that i am "judgemental" towards you is wholly inaccurate. Do you even know what that term means?

Please do not accuse me of being judgemental and I won't accuse you of anything either. In future, you may wish to consider how to respond to people who disagree with you.

But since you have flung the accusation, I would truly appreciate it if you can describe how I have judged you. I am deeply insulted by this accusation as it is quite derogatory, so please provide further Details. Like I said, Allah is my witness as is everyone else who is reading this -- I did not mention you or say anything about your character etc in my comment. So please, explain.

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
With no judgement for anyone, I too am wondering the meaning of kind of article in here. Should we here in the islamic forum start to wonder and discuss, should US military or South Korean government pay the pension for retired prostitutes (I suppouse they are retired if they are in their seventies) or what is the idea of this article? Do they get retirement pension already or work pension or don´t as if they haven´t paid taxes from they work as prostitutes?

:confused: Seems I need more information about pension system in South Korea the first...

Abu Juwairiya

With all due respect, I have NOT judged you. In fact, and Allah is my witness, I have not referred to you at all in my comment but instead I commented on the nature of the article that you posted. I have indicated my opinion on a post of this nature, and whether it is a useful "fit" in the theme of this website.

I am allowed to indicate my opinion. And, I will continue to do so. I am sorry if you disagree with it, as that is your right, but for you to state that i am "judgemental" towards you is wholly inaccurate. Do you even know what that term means?

Please do not accuse me of being judgemental and I won't accuse you of anything either. In future, you may wish to consider how to respond to people who disagree with you.

But since you have flung the accusation, I would truly appreciate it if you can describe how I have judged you. I am deeply insulted by this accusation as it is quite derogatory, so please provide further Details. Like I said, Allah is my witness as is everyone else who is reading this -- I did not mention you or say anything about your character etc in my comment. So please, explain.

I have sent a private letter to Precious Star with my reply.