Torture and death for Uzbek Muslims in jail

Hassan

Laa ilaha ilaa Allah
Staff member
I have heard so many worrying stories from Uzbekistan. It is difficult to know exactly what is going on but it doesn't sound good, for anyone and especially not the muslims. May Allah swt grant them sabr to deal with their oppressors.

The country used to be very high on the list of places I wanted to visit. Now I don't think tourists are what it needs, and it doesn't seem to want them either.

Abu Juwairiya

I have heard so many worrying stories from Uzbekistan. It is difficult to know exactly what is going on but it doesn't sound good, for anyone and especially not the muslims. May Allah swt grant them sabr to deal with their oppressors.

The country used to be very high on the list of places I wanted to visit. Now I don't think tourists are what it needs, and it doesn't seem to want them either.

Assalammu Alaikum Brother Hassan. Have you read the book, 'Murder in Samarkand' by Craig Murphy, former British ambassador to the country. He served in that capacity in 2004 and was replaced by the Labour government after he wrote the book with a severe critique of the Uzbek administration, especially the President Islam Karimov. The Uzbek government has an appalling human rights record, an almost non existent functioning 'free' society, a highly centralised economy and oligarchal political structure with the Karimov family as the largest shareholders in the country's industries. It is also a major dependable ally in the war on terror.

Hassan

Laa ilaha ilaa Allah
Staff member
Wa alaikum asalaam wa barakatuhu Brother Abu Juwairiya

I haven't read that book, but I did see some nice travel guides from the 1970s & 80s...

I remember hearing in the news about the daughters of the President. Looking them up online, the stories wouldn't seem out of place in some overly-dramatic soap opera. As I said, I don't think it is a place that welcomes too many tourists. Like so many places, it was better to visit 25 years ago...