Question: Running away in islam

HirraJaved

a friend of mine wants to run away from her home and live on the streets. She says she doesn't want to be a part of society and she's not good enough to live in it. She has no personality, she's a loner, she gets nervous around other people and doesn't know how to have a conversation, she's really extremely awkward, she's got a stupid reputation, a depressing routine life, and finds no point in anything, she just wants to get away from everything. My question is what should be my advice to her? And is it okay to run away in Islam?

Um Ibrahim

Alhamdulilah :)
But how is running away going to solve problems? You need to advice her that she needs to talk with her parents and family and ask for the help she obviously needs whether it's talking to a psychiatrist or getting ruqyah done her. Running away is only going to add to her problems especially if she's a young girl. If you're her friend try to help her by doing fun activities with her. Tell her everything is going to be alright.

Sometimes all we need is a little reminder that all will be OK. May Allah help her, Allahuma amin:)

Precious Star

She may be suffering from a mental illness. The vast majority of street people are. Consider this her cry for help and get a counsellor involved ASAP.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Sister,

First, May Allah,swt, reward your efforts for loving your sister.

Now, I am a little dismayed at the choice of words you use to describe her situation. Additionally, you write everything in the negative. But most importantly you do not give us a picture of the role of Islam in her life. Nor, do we have an understanding of her age.

A broad brush stroke from what you have described can best be summed up this simply:

A young woman who has been spoilt. She has luxury. It makes me very angry that a fantasy of a Muslim girl would be to be homeless. This is laughable. She is so disconnected to the realities of the plight of Muslim women who are homeless. This child has a cold heart. Marie Antoinette fame was the phrase "Let them eat cake".

Does she not know, forgive me, think of the horrors that a woman has to fight if she is homeless? Knock, knock.....a woman alone in the middle of the night with no protection....a Muslim sister.......no food, no money, no transportation, no cell phone....hello people.....do I need to go into more graphic details? Sleeping with a knife by your side......

No, it is not good to run away in Islam. The first thing Allah, swt, tells us is come to Me!!!

We are not special in Islam. We are slaves of Allah, swt. Slaves do not get special privileges to dote on themselves. Please feel free to allow your friend to read my response.

MehmetHilmi

Honestly it's probably a stage of her life. Trust me. I felt so socially akward in high school. Seriously for the first two years I was a recluse. I didn't talk to anybody and I really got into depression. I wanted to go run away and instead wander the earth. School was just so fake with fake people and fake teachers. I really did not fit in. But then I got a car and was free!

My point isn't that we need material objects to satisfy ourselves. But at least for me with my car, I was able to get far away from my family and from society. I would sometimes take long trips in order to think to myself. Driving for me became an outlet from society. It relaxed me. Now you don't need a car really. You just need to find your outlet where you can think in silence. Didn't the holy prophet (saw) often retreat to a cave? This can be your room or it can be a quiet walk in your neighborhood park, or even a hike.

A person hears a lot when they are alone.