Refreshing Norway's Muslims form protective human ring around synagogue

Um Ibrahim

Alhamdulilah :)
OSLO (Reuters) - More than 1000 Muslims formed a human shield around Oslo's synagogue on Saturday, offering symbolic protection for the city's Jewish community and condemning an attack on a synagogue in neighboring Denmark last weekend.

Chanting "No to anti-Semitism, no to Islamophobia," Norway's Muslims formed what they called a ring of peace a week after Omar Abdel Hamid El-Hussein, a Danish-born son of Palestinian immigrants, killed two people at a synagogue and an event promoting free speech in Copenhagen last weekend.

"Humanity is one and we are here to demonstrate that," Zeeshan Abdullah, one of the protest's organizers told a crowd of Muslim immigrants and ethnic Norwegians who filled the small street around Oslo's only functioning synagogue.

"There are many more peace mongers than warmongers," Abdullah said as organizers and Jewish community leaders stood side by side. "There’s still hope for humanity, for peace and love, across religious differences and backgrounds."

Norway's Jewish community is one of Europe's smallest, numbering around 1000, and the Muslim population, which has been growing steadily through immigration, is 150,000 to 200,000. Norway has a population of about 5.2 million.

The debate over immigration in the country came to the forefront in 2011 when Anders Behring Breivik killed 77 people and accused the government and the then-ruling Labour party of facilitating Muslim immigration and adulterating pure Norwegian blood.

Support for immigration has been rising steadily since those attacks, however, and an opinion poll late last year found that 77 percent of people thought immigrants made an important contribution to Norwegian society.

(Reporting by Balazs Koranyi; Editing by Pravin Char and Stephen Powell)

source: https://www.yahoo.com/news/norwegian-muslims-form-human-ring-around-oslo-synagogue-102527616.html

Abu Juwairiya

I wonder what is the possibility of any Jewish population doing something similar to protect Muslims and Masajid anywhere in the world in the future.

It would also be helpful if prominent Jews in the world media would strive to help state it is wrong to vilify Islam, draw cartoons of the Prophet (SAW) and put pressure on Israel to not demonise Arabs and Palestinians.

Abu Juwairiya

Jazakallah Khayrun for the link. Its not exactly what I was referring to, especially as the Jews involved are speaking from a religious and political perspective.

I was looking for something more along the lines of a more moral, social or emotional bond of brotherhood from ordinary Jews for the purpose of little or nothing other than solidarity alone in the face of persecution, hostility and hatred of Islam.

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
I have read some news before from the USA (and UK) where Islamic and Jewish communities co-operate together but I haven´t links about them right now.

In my country (Finland) has also co-operating between different religious groups (including Muslims and Jews), but not sure if I can find anything translated to English...

Abu Juwairiya

I have read some news before from the USA (and UK) where Islamic and Jewish communities co-operate together but I haven´t links about them right now.

In my country (Finland) has also co-operating between different religious groups (including Muslims and Jews), but not sure if I can find anything translated to English...

Sister Herb, you don't need to worry about providing links or translations of joint co operation between Muslim and Jewish communities. I was just curious about the existence and popularity of such social movements and social actions from one religion towards another based on villainisation and a protracted media onslaught (such as in the film 'American sniper' I believe) which glorifies and promotes incitement to violence and the killing of Muslims.

MehmetHilmi

Egyptian Copts also did something similar once. They formed a ring around praying Muslims. Reading stories like this make my day.

The feeling of love of other humans (regardless of their background) is what we must promote. Anyone who preaches against this love is morally dead.

I wonder what is the possibility of any Jewish population doing something similar to protect Muslims and Masajid anywhere in the world in the future.

It would also be helpful if prominent Jews in the world media would strive to help state it is wrong to vilify Islam, draw cartoons of the Prophet (SAW) and put pressure on Israel to not demonise Arabs and Palestinians.

I think many people are realizing the true nature of Israel. Especially after their latest Gaza attack, many in the west are aware. Every day more people are standing up against their injustice in some way.

If Israel was smart and didn't make enemies out of all its Muslim neighbors, Jews and Muslims would have been the best of allies. Seriously nothing exceeds our Middle Eastern hospitality!

During a certain period of the Ottoman Caliphate, Jews, Christians, and Muslims all considered themselves to be Ottoman. They lived and worked together. They ate each other's foods and danced to each other's songs. The first Ottoman Parliament consisted of many racial and religious minorities. During the Empire's wars, even Christians marched alongside their Muslim brethren in defending the Empire. Nationalism ruined it. Sectarianism ruined it. Now forget having peace between Middle Eastern Muslims and non-Muslims, there is no peace between a Sunni and his/her Sunni neighbor!!!

Of course my description above was a bit romantic. But it is still good to hope. Sorry I kind of went off topic. I really wanted to say this....

Abu Juwairiya

Egyptian Copts also did something similar once. They formed a ring around praying Muslims. Reading stories like this make my day.

The feeling of love of other humans (regardless of their background) is what we must promote. Anyone who preaches against this love is morally dead.

I think many people are realizing the true nature of Israel. Especially after their latest Gaza attack, many in the west are aware. Every day more people are standing up against their injustice in some way.

If Israel was smart and didn't make enemies out of all its Muslim neighbors, Jews and Muslims would have been the best of allies. Seriously nothing exceeds our Middle Eastern hospitality!

During a certain period of the Ottoman Caliphate, Jews, Christians, and Muslims all considered themselves to be Ottoman. They lived and worked together. They ate each other's foods and danced to each other's songs. The first Ottoman Parliament consisted of many racial and religious minorities. During the Empire's wars, even Christians marched alongside their Muslim brethren in defending the Empire. Nationalism ruined it. Sectarianism ruined it. Now forget having peace between Middle Eastern Muslims and non-Muslims, there is no peace between a Sunni and his/her Sunni neighbor!!!

Of course my description above was a bit romantic. But it is still good to hope. Sorry I kind of went off topic. I really wanted to say this....

Jazakallah Khayrun for your comments and analysis. In Shariah, it is possible for Christians, Jews and Muslims to live together and coexist peacefully, but this usually only happens when the Rule of Allah is applied or any two of the three religions are minorities. Obviously, the best form of justice is under Shariah, since as the Sahaba understood it, the land belongs to Allah and all human beings have the right to live on it, practice the religion of their choice, but the constitution, system of government, rulers and sovereignty of the state is Islamic and Islam alone.

When the roles are reversed as in governments of today where Muslims in many countries live as minorities, they may exercise liberties in principle, have no coercion or restriction of redress there is oppression and even worse a gradual removal of Islamic values and ethics from the mind set of the Muslim masses.

By this I mean, the yearning for Islamic knowledge is lost, a lack of interest in learning the correct recitation of the Qur'an, of visiting the scholars of Islam, of learning Arabic, of reviewing, carefully evaluating and correcting our salah by our peers, of praying five times a day (for the brothers) among other things. This is far from an exact universal truth and will not necessarily be true of everyone.

Um Ibrahim

Brother Mehmet,

I agree with you. I'm just so sick and tired of seeing people fighting and killing and hurting each other. It seems like there's no tolerance among humans any more these days. Maybe it's just that more bad news is reported, but it just almost makes one sad of the current situation of humanity. That's why this story was so refreshing to me. It was just so nice to read some good news for once!

Um Ibrahim

Jazakallah Khayrun for the link. Its not exactly what I was referring to, especially as the Jews involved are speaking from a religious and political perspective.

I was looking for something more along the lines of a more moral, social or emotional bond of brotherhood from ordinary Jews for the purpose of little or nothing other than solidarity alone in the face of persecution, hostility and hatred of Islam.

Brother there are many stories where non Muslim people do stand up for Muslims and defend them. No nation is made up of all bad people. There are many Christians and Jews who would defend Muslims if they witness oppression and wrongdoing. May Allah guide those people. I remember a show, where they set up false situations and scenarios just to see how people would react about a Muslim woman who was being discriminated against by a store manager. A lot of non-Muslims spoke up against the man who was treating the Muslim woman wrong. It was nice to see people defending her. So it does happen. But as usual, media majority of the time focuses on the bad than good.

Abu Juwairiya

Assalammu Alaikum Sister Umm Ibrahim

I never doubted that Muslims can, have been, are and will be defended. My point is, that it is covered less by the media, appears on the surface as rare or non-existent and in the present day and age, may actually be less than the oppression and support for the oppression towards it.

Precious Star

I think we need to focus on what Muslims are doing to promote peace and humanity, rather than focus on what other religious groups are NOT doing to help Muslims.

As Muslims, we do not operate on a tit-for-tat moral code. If Jews do not wish to protect Muslims, then so be it. We should take the higher moral ground and do our part to fulfil our moral obligations.

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
I agree with you sister Precious Star. In general, we should remember that we all are in the same boat. Our duty, who ever we are or to what group we belong, is protect those whose need protection and speak or act against any kind of hate and racism.

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
Muslims, Jews and Christians walked for peace and mutual understanding at friday in Helsinki, Finland

ystavyyskavely.jpg

The center of Helsinki was held in the morning of friendship within the Muslim, Christian and Jewish States. These three religious representatives went hand in hand with three shrine in joining the route.

Finnish Islamic Association Mosque, the Old Lutheran Church and the Jewish Synagogue located in the center of Helsinki, within walking distance of each other.

Three sanctuary joining the route of the walk is a sign of friendship and the desire to promote peace and security in Finland, Europe and the world.

http://www.mtv.fi/uutiset/kotimaa/a...t-ja-juutalaiset-yhteisella-kavelylla/4842952