has anyone read books by jean sassoon?

alf2

Islam is a way of life
Salaam alaykum all,

I dont normally read these types of books but I love reading about life in K.S.A. the book is called "princess" and its basically a woe is me book about an un-named saudi princess who's life is horrible because she's a woman. However, her family drinks alcohol and the men wear gold. If these things are prohibited then how can she blame Islam for her life?

Im beginning to think this is all a hoax.

Abu Juwairiya

Salaam alaykum all,

I dont normally read these types of books but I love reading about life in K.S.A. the book is called "princess" and its basically a woe is me book about an un-named saudi princess who's life is horrible because she's a woman. However, her family drinks alcohol and the men wear gold. If these things are prohibited then how can she blame Islam for her life?

Assalammu Alaikum Brother,

I have read the book you are referring to as well as the sequel, 'Daughters of Arabia' where she talks about her three children in detail. I have also read 'Mayada', which she co-authored along with the subject who is a prominent Iraqi female journalist wrongly arrested before the 2003 US invasion and the book is about her prison experiences, where most of the inmates talk about the horrors of torture. Mayada is interesting also because she is the great grand daughter of the last Turkish princess of the Usmani Caliphate in the 1860s. Her grandfather meanwhile was one of the most famous and well known Arab thinkers of the 1910s; someone whom even Saddam Hussain admired.

I will say one word of warning about the author, Jean Sasson. She is very Anti Muslim and has her own agenda in writing books about Muslim countries. While you will not immediately see it in her writings, her aim is to cast doubts in the hearts of both Muslims and Non Muslims about Islam as an alternative to western civilisation. She is not as open in her hatred of Islam as is Ayan Hirschi, Salman Rushdie ad others, but she despises our religion just as much. Her methods of propagation are through her books. If you look carefully, you will find examples of great critiques of Islam.

Wasallam

Precious Star

Salaam alaykum all,

I have read her novels, many years ago, mostly out of curiosity and boredom. Mildly entertaining chick lit at best (I'm assuming you are a girl, as I can't figure out why a man would read these). Not worth your time!