Article Evolution theory and Islam

WhiteKnight

Peace and God's blessings be upon you...

Sorrowfully, non Muslims who believe in the theory of evolution (which states that humans were evolved from apes) claim that Islam is a primitive and ignorant religion whose story of creation contradicts with modern science. In this thread, we'll discuss the theory of evolution in the light of Islam.

What is the theory of evolution?
Evolution is defined as the change in the characteristics of the biological populations over successive generations. English scientist Charles Darwin was the first to formulate a scientific argument for this theory. According to the theory of evolution, all living organisms descended from a ''last universal common ancestor'' whose characteristics are unknown till now. The more common characteristics living organisms have, the closer in relationship they are. In other words, humans and apes are descended from the same ancestry and the same to tigers and lions, wolves and dogs…etc. There are many evidences that prove the validity of evolution theory. However, there are some alleged contradictions between it and the Abrahamic religions – contradictions that made countries like Saudi Arabia and Sudan, and 14 states in the USA ban studying this theory at their schools.

Does the theory of evolution really contradicts with Islam, or the Islamic scholars 'misunderstood' the Holy Quran and the story of creation in Islam??

The creation story in the Holy Quran
First of all, we should know that when God said in the Quran that He had created the universe within six days, He didn't mean that those 'six days' are like the solar days on our planet. To God, a day is equivalent to some million - and even billion- solar years. Secondly, God didn't say that He created the living organisms on earth individually. So why some Islamic scholars claim that the Islamic version of creationism ''hinges on the special creation theory", which makes the scientifically-valid theory of evolution wrong in Islamic perspective as some may claim???.

Special creation theory is a scientific theory which states that all the living organisms on earth were created individually, not by ways of evolution (e.g cats were created alone, not descended from the common ancestry). That theory was proven wrong long time ago. Does that mean that the Islamic creationism ''is out-of-date"??

Of course not, there is not even a single verse in the Holy Quran or a single Hadith which states that God created living organisms individually. To put it another way, evolution was the mechanism through which God created all the living organisms, except for human.

How were the humans created, from Adam or apes?
The postulates of the theory of evolution lead us to the hypothesis that humans were descended from apes, while Islam tells us – along with Judaism and Christianity - that all the humans were descended from Adam whom had been created by God from clay.

Let's say that Islam is wrong scientifically, the evolutionary theory is 100% right and the humans are created from apes. Can anybody tell me why humans in particular are sensible and have the ability to create, innovate and think? Did the nature and evolution choose the humans as ''the bearers of thinking minds'' among all the living organisms?

Philosophically and logically, the ''unthinking nature'' that lacks the ability to think cannot bestow upon humans particularly thinking minds :). So why are humans specifically appealing in shape, thinking and have feelings. They can love and hate, they think and create. Further, they have dominion over all the creatures of the earth. Can nature choose humans to be ''the masters of the earth", and leave their relatives the other living organisms without sensible brains??

The aforementioned paradox contradicts with both the principles of science and philosophy. ''you cannot give what you don't have", so how had the unthinking nature given humans thinking minds? Or there is a master who controls the evolution and ''stopped'' it miraculously and temporarily in order to create thinking humans who are dignified and far better and greater than the other organisms of the earth?

The evolution theory is completely right and valid in Islam, but the only contradiction between them is that humans were created by nature from unthinking apes. In other words, ''Adam'' was an exception to the rule. God created Adam and bestowed upon him and his generations thinking minds that the evolution lacked; so that the humans can take over the world.

God disabled the laws of physics temporarily when he parted the red sea for Prophet Moses and the Israelites. And the same to Adam, God disabled the laws of biology and evolution temporarily when he created Adam (peace be upon him)

Finally, I'd like to say that there are not any contradictions between Islam and science. Undoubtedly, humans should be created by a Supreme Being who had given them thinking minds and dominion over the whole world, they cannot be created through evolution that lacks thinking :)

The End

Aslamu Alaikum :)

It's like a brief nutshell of the other possible version of evolution theory, which happens to be Islamic in it's approach.

People of the faith, and especially Muslims, basically agree on the notion that the evolution theory does not accurately represent the Human's chapter. My humble opinion is that the evidence brought forth isn't compelling enough to support their theory of "How are we here", and don't bother thinking of "Why are we here?" :D.

And you're right about the scholars, isn't it wonderful this diversity of thought, their kind of wisdom is definitely needed, it's up to us, the youth I guess, to present the same notion differently, just we may sometimes need to be patient.

JazakaAllahAlHosna, keep it up brother :)

Last edited:

cabdixakim

Has any of you really learn't what they might be saying,or is it just you are a medium of transport of other man's ideas(linking us to what you have recently read)?? if so,you are so " scientifically rich",how could you relate the creation of Adam(a.s) to that of theory of evolution,that when transformation of the last universal common ancestor reached it's time of turning to a man,God disabled the laws of biology and evolution temporarily.hey! let me just ask for the sake of fun of it,"who was the first universal common ancestor and the second?":) I am not scientifically in-touch, right?:)
But then the creation of Adam(a.s)was rightfully stated by Allah the exalted in might and He is Most truthful,Most Wise in 15:26, "And surely we created man of sounding clay,of black mud fashioned into shape" among very many verses that we know of in the Quran.if I interprete the whole thing according to what you say,"our last universal common ancestor evolved into mud then it was put into a temporar coma untill man got thinking abilities... then it was made to commence it's evolution.If so, nothing in the first place remains for the evolution of animals becouse the mud has already transformed into man.Wait a minute! what about the remains(left-overs) of the comatosed mud?! If that's how your argument is to be understood then you are disproving either of the Quran or the evolution! I mean theory of evolution!
Can't you see that you are giving any ordinary person like me a chance to have a say against what you indicate or you just have forgotten that evolution theory actually still remians only a theory?
I am not scientifically rich as you are,in fact I know nothing about science but when anyone objects to the understanding of our great scholars ,right from the companions of the prophet(s.a.w) or holds them blameworthy for their understandings then I burn like hell itself!
I wonder what if the opinions of less religiously educated youths were to be taken into consideration instead of our gifted scholars?(as my brother has said above).Maybe they would have said:do not cut the hands of the thief or christmas is just a commercial activity!! or maybe population needs to be in check!!
As for you brother I beg you to make a life out of the understading of the creation(since you're closer to it than me) and the real science behind the creation as explained in the Quran.(Quite the opposite we're hearing that science is tilting more and more to the explanations given by the Quran).If only then you may come up with authenticated explanation then we would say you have understood the concept better NOT that the scholars undestood it wrongly.May Allah forgive you and me and all muslims brother...aamiin

Mohamad Fazril

I think what the brother implying is the theory of evolution can be applied to creatures on earth except human and the djin. The reason scholars did not accept theory of evolution because the western applied it to all living being including human where as we Muslim had been cleared mention by god that we are created from Adam and thus from clay. But other living being such as animals and plants and also microorganism are not mention of how its created. Thus we can accept theory of evolution as our current understanding of how living being created. Remember Surah Al-Anbiyaa chapter 21: "Have those who disbelieved not considered that the heavens and the earth were a joined entity, and We separated them and made from water every living thing? Then will they not believe?" Quran stated that all living thing are made from water which is corresponding with the theory of evolution which also indicate life are started from water. In Scientific knowledge even if its just a theory we accept it as the closest answer until further discoveries or studies explaining it more or even nullified it.

P-Thulhu

What is your point for "Disagree" Mr. P-Thulhu. :)

Oh. The video is a poor representation of both evolution and the person/people who put it together engaged in 'quote mining' and other dishonest practices.

I would think there are better representations for and against that the above video.

Much cheers to all.

Abu Juwairiya

Even if the concept of the 'special creation' theory is scientifically false, I still think the word itself is highly relevant and applies to the human race as the supreme or most superior of living beings among all created life forms.

Obviously we were not created as the theory suggests except for our first parents, Adam and Hawwa, but our purpose, spiritual significance and vicegerent stature above all other creations means something in comparison.

P-Thulhu

Even if the concept of the 'special creation' theory is scientifically false, I still think the word itself is highly relevant and applies to the human race as the supreme or most superior of living beings among all created life forms.

Obviously we were not created as the theory suggests except for our first parents, Adam and Hawwa, but our purpose, spiritual significance and vicegerent stature above all other creations means something in comparison.

*Bows*

You are most welcome to your opinions.

I, honestly, do not seem myself or fellow humans in quite such terms.

Much cheers to all.