Islam against Racism

Abu Juwairiya

Since we are still in an age where race, ethnicity, tribes, colour and nationality determine status in the eyes of many people- including unfortunately a large proprtion of Muslims today, Inshallah this thread will help lighten the barriers that force separation between us. I invite others to contribute not only Ahadith, but also personal stories and expereiences where racism has been encountered and where it has not been a factor in relations between Muslims and others.

Abu Juwairiya

1. "Abu Zarr narrated the Prophet (SAW) said to him, 'Look, since you [an Arab] are not better than a white person nor a black person, except if you exceed him in taqwa." (Related by Ahmad in Al-Musnad)

2. "The Messenger of Allah (SAW) said, 'Indeed your Lord is One and your father is one. So there is no excellence for an Arab over a Non Arab, nor is there excellence for a white person over a black one, except through Taqwa." (Related by At Tabaranee in Al-Awsat, No 4749)

3. Al-Bazzar related the same Hadith except that he said, 'Indeed your father is one and your religion is one. Your father is Adam and Adam, is from dust.' (Source Kashf Al-Astar, No. 2044)

Personal Comment: The Scholars say that although the above opening Hadith is weak, it is supported by the two other Ahadith here, which are in turn supported by other scholars and very strong chains of transmission so hence it is OK to quote it.

Abu Juwairiya

"It was related by Ibn Abu Shaybah (d. 235 AH) in Al-Musannaf that he said, 'Whoever says, O tribe of so and so' then he is only calling to the rock piles of Hell."

"Abu Malik Al-Ash'ari said that the Prophet (SAW) said, 'There are four affairs from Al-Jahiliyah within my Ummah that they will not abandon:

boasting about noble descent
reviling the lineages of others
seeking rain through the stars and
wailing over the dead." (Source: Sahih Muslim, No 943)

Personal Comment: Today the relevance over the two above statements is that now it includes the following-

1. Nationalism
2. Discrimination of Darker skinned people from lighter skinned dark skinned people*
3. Belief in Horoscopes, Astrology, Palm reading etc.
4. Acceptance of beliefs and ideas from families of wealth and power and suspicion from those of lesser wealth and power.
5. Blaming whole communities of certain ethnic groups for their poverty and social conditions.

*In many parts of the world today there exists 'accepted' social policies of discrimination from one or more dark skinned people, who form the majority within a nation over other dark skinned people who happen to be a minority. Examples of this include-

1. Pakistan. The Makrani population who are 'black' in colour are called 'Kalas' by the 'whites' [other Pakistanis] and discriminated against throughout the country.

2. The Ainu of Japan. The Ainu are seen as one of the first people to populate Japan, but because they are darker than the modern Japanese people, they are seen as 'primitive', less advanced and not as good as the majority. While there is no official caste system in place legally, many of the Ainu will not be permitted to marry outside of the Ainu race and similarly be rejected from positions of seniority in the workplace and even in schools will be tormented by their peers.​

Abu Juwairiya

"Auza'i related that a black man went to the most distinguished man among the Tabi'een, Sa'eed Bin Musayyib, in order to ask him some questions.

Sa'eed said, 'Do not be sad because you are black, for among the best of people, three were Black:

Bilal Bin Rabah- the caller to prayer of Allah's Messenger (SAW),

Mahja- the freed slave of Umar Bin Khattab and

Luqman Hakim (The Wise)- for he too was black-skinned, he was from Nubia, which lies between Egypt and Sudan." ('Gems and Jewels' by Abdul Malik Mujahid, P 142, 2003)

Abu Juwairiya

Luqman the Wise was a black man

"A man went to Luqman the Wise and said, 'Are you Luqman? Are you the slave of Bani Nuhas?'

He [Luqman] said, 'Yes.' The man said, 'You are the black shepherd?'

He [Luqman] said, 'As for my skin being black, that is apparent, but what is it about me that amazes you?'

He said, 'That people come to visit you in thongs, that they crowd at your door, and that they are pleased with your speech.'

He [Luqman] said, 'If you do as I say, then you will be the same.

He said, 'And what is that?'

He [Luqman] said,

'Lowering my gaze,

holding my tongue,

honouring my guest,

preserving the rights of my neighbour and

refraining from which does not concern me-

that has made me become as you see me now." ('Gems and Jewels' by Abdul Malik Mujahid, P 142, 2003)

Cariad

Post 4 and 5 above, I'm not understanding. These sayings are still differentiating by skin colour.

Sa'eed said, 'Do not be sad because you are black, for among the best of people, three were Black:

When I read this it makes me think how could anyone believe that there may not be black people among the best? Or why would a person be sad that they are black? There is no people of colour to God, inside we are Created all the same. Our soul is from God and all equal in His eye, with capacity for good and evil, our choices are the same.

It's a sad fact of humanity that we judge between us differences like skin colour, and some mistakenly think this somehow infers superiority. Again a human weakness. Religion people follow will never change this fact, until people reach a level of spiritual awareness that in Gods eyes we are created ALL His beloved, discrimination and division will remain a state in humanity.

Abu Juwairiya

Post 4 and 5 above, I'm not understanding. These sayings are still differentiating by skin colour.

When I read this it makes me think how could anyone believe that there may not be black people among the best? Or why would a person be sad that they are black? There is no people of colour to God, inside we are Created all the same. Our soul is from God and all equal in His eye, with capacity for good and evil, our choices are the same.

It's a sad fact of humanity that we judge between us differences like skin colour, and some mistakenly think this somehow infers superiority. Again a human weakness. Religion people follow will never change this fact, until people reach a level of spiritual awareness that in Gods eyes we are created ALL His beloved, discrimination and division will remain a state in humanity.

Sister Cariad, I included the whole article as it was so that we could all benefit from the non colour issue in addition to that is which is directly relevant to the thread. Second, the full conversation between the two men is not available in the text. The black man's questions and concerns are not presented, only the answers to them are, hence the confusion. The contents of the questions are thought to have been very private and to avoid the whole world being aware of the exact words was thus avoided. The issue relevant to the thread were the answers. The fact that the one who answered showed he himself did not find colour of black people an obstacle in religious affairs and wanted to demonstrate how some of the Muslim World's most well known celebrities were black and loved by Allah.

The fact that racism exists is not the fault of Allah and even the best of societies have not been able to erase it, what we can do is deal with it, address it, tackle it and then move on.

Cariad

Thank you for clarification. I just don't understand why in Islam every minutiae of life seems to be covered by deliberations of man. For me it's like a hindrance to my own spiritual discernment through relationship with my creator.

I agree there is no fault to God that racism exists or that mankind find it so hard to see the obvious God given truth in the matter. I think I said that already. :) i don't see it possible society can ever completely erase it :( but agree 100% we must confront it and deal with it wherever we see such discrimination. We can do this each and everyone of us, who knows in future such discrimination may become a thing of the past, let us pray so.

a_stranger

Assallamu alaikim brothers and sisters
I believe this kind of thinking is from Shaytan making man feel superior because of what Allah has given ....Islam make things very clear we are created beings every thing we have was given to us , no credit for us ....All that we have is his (Allah ) . If we read Quran whit a heart this idea will be very clear.....this wipes all kind of arrogance in hearts of people .....this is the meaning of Uboodia . Racism is from Shaytan who want to take us away from our creator and put darkness in our hearts .

Abu Juwairiya

"All of you are the children of Adam and Adam was created from soil." (Prophet Muhammad Peace Be Upon Him)

He also said, 'O People! Your Lord is One. No Arab is superior to a Persian*, no Persian is superior to an Arab, no red man** is superior to a black man, no black man is superior to a red man- except in piety. The most honoured unto God are the most pious." (Source: 'Questions and Answers about Islam' by Dr Muhammad Ali Al-Khuli, P 40, 1999)

*Persia was then a great nation at the time
** Red is another term for White people

Personal Comment: While the word 'man' is used throughout, women are included in the context. The only form of measurement used for both men and women and how Allah judges them is on purity of religion alone; the relationship between each individual and the Creator and nothing else.

Second, remember the Prophet (Peace Be Upon Him) was addressing the Arabs as his first listeners. The Prophet (Peace Be Upon Him) as such did not mention the yellow race (Oriental ethnic groups) as they were not known to most Arabs of the time, it would have been unusual to explain and expound further about them as a race, people, culture etc. if he had done so via revelation.

It is also possible he may also not have met any of them personally and there was little or no contact between them and the Arabs; the first Muslims, even through international trade and travel, hence it was un necessary at the time.

Third, the statements clearly show that reverse racism (e.g. the idea that darker races are superior to white people) is just as repugnant and wrong as white racism itself. In the same way it demonstrates if this is true for those outside of religion, it is even more true for those who believe in religion and God. They should be the first to show, exemplify and orchestrate personally how they are free of racism and prejudice in every manner and way in thoughts, deed, action, evaluation and ideas.