Problem Not One Mosque In Athens – Muslims Pray In Garages

Absolute truth

لا إله إلا الله
:bismillah:
There is not a single mosque in Athens.

“There is no place in Athens that is legal. Not one. So yeah, we do our prayers in a garage.”

What would you do if you and your community had to go underground – literally – to find a place to pray?

An estimated 300,000 Muslims live in Athens. But because of the Greek Orthodox Church’s influence and growing anti-immigrant sentiment, it is the only European capital without an official mosque.

As the far-right Golden Dawn party has gained currency since the 2008 financial crisis, Muslim immigrants have been attacked and murdered, and unofficial mosques have been targeted. With so much hatred in the air, will an official mosque ever be built?

Here’s the full story on the perils of being Muslim in modern Athens:

Cariad

For centuries Christians worshipped God in secret places because of persecution. In some countries this is still so today. God still hears their prayers. :) do not worry.

Abu Juwairiya

For centuries Christians worshipped God in secret places because of persecution. In some countries this is still so today. God still hears their prayers. :) do not worry.

Sister Cariad, thank you for your words of encouragement and I appreciate your positive outlook to the situation there. Let us hope the circumstances improve in Greece for the better to both communities and without further difficulties on the way.

Its not so much the discomfort of where to pray or the knowledge prayers may not be answered, but the fact that a sizeable community exists in a 21st century 'democracy' (where a key clause exists that minorities must be accepted and respected, otherwise it is not 'democratic') and provisions for a place of worship are denied to them as a significant religious assembly of people.

If Greece were in the middle of a war, had a so called 'terrorism' issue with Muslims within their country or otherwise, there might be a case in point to defend policies against the creation of religious centres of worship, but at present there has been no declaration to the effect that such 'problems' exist there.

queenislam

★★★I LOVE ALLAH★★★
So modern yet backdated no mosque in Athen??? Fail! Even Israel have mosques.
Why do these people have bad impression on muslims? we are people of peace.In many muslim's government country, church did not pose threat we welcome and respect their faith .One should be thankful that a person has religion as a guide-line rather than one who doesn't .
Hope Athen concept toward Islam will change and welcome Islam more friendly in future especially now in the blessed month of Ramadhan Mubarak~Amin!

Bismillahirrahmanirrahim:
14_32.png

Meaning:
Allah is God who created the heavens and the earth
and sent down rain from the sky and produced thereby some fruits
as provision for you
and subjected for you the ships to sail through the sea
by Allah command and subjected for you the rivers.
~Holy qur'an.

Ramadhan Kareem.
~Wassalam :)

Cariad

Sister Cariad, thank you for your words of encouragement and I appreciate your positive outlook to the situation there. Let us hope the circumstances improve in Greece for the better to both communities and without further difficulties on the way.

Its not so much the discomfort of where to pray or the knowledge prayers may not be answered, but the fact that a sizeable community exists in a 21st century 'democracy' (where a key clause exists that minorities must be accepted and respected, otherwise it is not 'democratic') and provisions for a place of worship are denied to them as a significant religious assembly of people.

If Greece were in the middle of a war, had a so called 'terrorism' issue with Muslims within their country or otherwise, there might be a case in point to defend policies against the creation of religious centres of worship, but at present there has been no declaration to the effect that such 'problems' exist there.
I do not know enough about the alleged influence of the Greek Orthodox Church in such matters to comment. I do find it surprising in a secular democracy (as Greece) the Church has any more influence there than any other European country.

It may be Greece being in crisis at present the government are making decisions they feel will "appeal" to the people. In regards to being unfair towards immigrants which happen to be muslim. The immigration issue is something else again, and in itself I don't think has much baring on muslims not having mosques for their worship.

As you say let us hope things improve for all concerned. Everyone should be free to worship God how they wish and if this includes the need for a special place of worship then it should be allowed. There are countries in the world which I'm sure you know do not allow christians to build churches, where churches have been burnt to the ground. Which is sad because it doesn't shake a persons faith any, but means they have to worship God in secret. Anyway Jesus said it was good to Pray to the father in secret places, I don't often attend a church myself I prefer to worship God in quiet seclusion.

I like the UK where Churches, Mosques, Synagogues and Temples exist side by side and people are free to pray as they wish.

Abu Juwairiya

I do not know enough about the alleged influence of the Greek Orthodox Church in such matters to comment. I do find it surprising in a secular democracy (as Greece) the Church has any more influence there than any other European country.

It may be Greece being in crisis at present the government are making decisions they feel will "appeal" to the people. In regards to being unfair towards immigrants which happen to be muslim. The immigration issue is something else again, and in itself I don't think has much baring on muslims not having mosques for their worship.

As you say let us hope things improve for all concerned. Everyone should be free to worship God how they wish and if this includes the need for a special place of worship then it should be allowed. There are countries in the world which I'm sure you know do not allow christians to build churches, where churches have been burnt to the ground. Which is sad because it doesn't shake a persons faith any, but means they have to worship God in secret. Anyway Jesus said it was good to Pray to the father in secret places, I don't often attend a church myself I prefer to worship God in quiet seclusion.

I like the UK where Churches, Mosques, Synagogues and Temples exist side by side and people are free to pray as they wish.

Dear Sister Cariad, thank you for your reply. My post was about Greece as a country and the government. I did not mention the Greek Orthodox Church nor did I say or imply anything about Christianity or Christians being the problem or the causal root of the situation there.

I mentioned secular 'democracy' where things like the above should not happen. I also did not say the Church had any direct or indirect influence over the government. I was careful in my choice of words and who or what I blamed. I restricted my comments to the government itself and only when I mentioned 'two communities' being able to get on was I referring to Christians and Muslims. I did not say anywhere in my post that there is antagonism between them and I do not know of any at present, I merely expressed the hope that they would co exist peacefully.

I also did not mention 'immigration' or any specific social or religious issues of division between Christians and Muslims, perhaps the original poster did, but I did not. I kept my perspective fixed on the general issue of the topic itself and that was of there not being a place of worship in Athens for Muslims. You are right about immigration being a separate issue which is why I did not include it since it is irrelevant to the thread.

As to there being countries where Churches are not permitted to exist, I can agree and further state that it is wrong. Where they have been burnt or razed to the ground is just as wrong. Its a reality there are people, groups, organised assemlies of people and others who will do so either in the name of religion or belong to none but will do so for incitement between different religious communities (sometimes governments).

As a believer in Allah, I know peace will dawn, there will be rejuvenation of morals, divine justice will prevail and it is armed with these beliefs I find solace and contentment especially as we expect and realise Allah is the highest, greatest and best of planners. What He has in mind, we can only guess, but it will only be good, just, everlasting and better than what we could possibly imagine.

Last edited:

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
Athens is not the only European capital where isn´t any mosque. Also in Helsinki, capital of Finland, hasn´t any official mosque. There are about 10 places where muslims gather and pray like those in Athens like rooms, halls, apartment house homes etc., but not any building which would been built for being a mosque. But there are plans to build mosque at the next years, :inshallah:.

Cariad

Dear Sister Cariad, thank you for your reply. My post was about Greece as a country and the government. I did not mention the Greek Orthodox Church nor did I say or imply anything about Christianity or Christians being the problem or the causal root of the situation there.

I mentioned secular 'democracy' where things like the above should not happen. I also did not say the Church had any direct or indirect influence over the government. I was careful in my choice of words and who or what I blamed. I restricted my comments to the government itself and only when I mentioned 'two communities' being able to get on was I referring to Christians and Muslims. I did not say anywhere in my post that there is antagonism between them and I do not know of any at present, I merely expressed the hope that they would co exist peacefully.

I also did not mention 'immigration' or any specific social or religious issues of division between Christians and Muslims, perhaps the original poster did, but I did not. I kept my perspective fixed on the general issue of the topic itself and that was of there not being a place of worship in Athens for Muslims. You are right about immigration being a separate issue which is why I did not include it since it is irrelevant to the thread.

As to there being countries where Churches are not permitted to exist, I can agree and further state that it is wrong. Where they have been burnt or razed to the ground is just as wrong. Its a reality there are people, groups, organised assemlies of people and others who will do so either in the name of religion or belong to none but will do so for incitement between different religious communities (sometimes governments).

As a believer in Allah, I know peace will dawn, there will be rejuvenation of morals, divine justice will prevail and it is armed with these beliefs I find solace and contentment especially as we expect and realise Allah is the highest, greatest and best of planners. What He has in mind, we can only guess, but it will only be good, just, everlasting and better than what we could possibly imagine.

I had in mind the opening post but should have quoted it...the poster infers that the Greek Orthodox Church has some influence in such matters. I don't believe they have that influence, secular democracies do not generally pander to the wants of of "religious leaders" but are bound by the needs of the whole community regardless of religion.

[An estimated 300,000 Muslims live in Athens. But because of the Greek Orthodox Church’s influence and growing anti-immigrant sentiment, it is the only European capital without an official mosque.]

You really should not take my replies as a personal criticism. Sometimes at present I have some trouble focusing and compiling replies. Maybe that is why most people do not understand my posts. Ha.. Maybe time to stop with communication on forums, :) to be constantly misunderstood is not such a good thing.

I also put my trust in the Lord, that good will prevail.

Cariad

Athens is not the only European capital where isn´t any mosque. Also in Helsinki, capital of Finland, hasn´t any official mosque. There are about 10 places where muslims gather and pray like those in Athens like rooms, halls, apartment house homes etc., but not any building which would been built for being a mosque. But there are plans to build mosque at the next years, :inshallah:.
I did not know that. Are you from Helsinki?

But Mosque or no God is still hearing your prayers :)