Prayer

Libinette

Umm Zubayr
:salam2:

I know that if the time for prayer comes, you have to pray wherever you are, that's what i understood from a thread i posted few months ago now, so if you find a park or a calm place, do you have to take your shoes off in order to perform salat or you can keep them on??

And if you are in a bus, can you perform salat in a siitting position? and what if men are next to you, is it preferable to wait till you go home, or find a mosque? knowing that buses aren't the best places to perform salaat: noisy, dirty.....

Jazakallah Kheir

wassalam

Happy 2BA Muslim

Islamophilic
It is acceptable to pray wearing shoes?

Question:
Is it wrong to pray with shoes on outside.

Answer:
Praise be to Allaah.

One of the conditions which must be met before starting to pray is to make sure that one's body and clothes and the place in which the Muslim is going to pray are all clean and free of impurities.

It was narrated from the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) that he used to pray wearing his shoes. Anas ibn Maalik (may Allaah be pleased with him) was asked, “Did the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) pray wearing shoes?” He said, “Yes.” (al-Bukhaari, 386; Muslim, 555).

This is to be understood as meaning, so long as there is no impurity on the shoes; if there is any impurity on them then it is not permissible to pray in them. If a person forgets and prays wearing shoes when there is some impurity on them, then he has to take them off when he finds out or remembers. This is because of the hadeeth of Abu Sa’eed al-Khudri who said:

“While the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) was leading his companions in prayer, he took off his shoes and placed them to his left. When the people saw that, they took off their shoes too. When the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) finished his prayer, he asked, ‘What made you take off your shoes?’ They said, ‘We saw you take off your shoes, so we took ours off too.’ The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, ‘Jibreel (peace be upon him) came to me and told me that there was something dirty on them.’ When any one of you comes to the mosque, let him look and if he sees anything dirty on his shoes, let him wipe them and then pray in them.” (Abu Dawood, 650; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh Abi Dawood, 605).

One of the reasons why the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) prayed wearing shoes is to be found in the hadeeth,

“Be different from the Jews, who do not pray in their shoes or in their leather slippers (khufoof).” (Abu Dawood, 652; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh Abi Dawood, 607).

That is regarded as mustahabb for the purpose of differing from non-Muslims, as stated above.

This has to do with the kind of shoes and with the mosque at that time. However if the mosque is furnished with carpeting, then the mosque should be kept clean of shoes, and no one should enter wearing shoes lest the place be made dirty. (Fataawa Samaahat al-Shaykh ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Humayd, p. 81). Moreover the furnishings of the mosque are a waqf which should not be damaged or destroyed, and if dirt gets onto the carpets it will offend those who pray and prostrate on them. Hence no one should enter wearing shoes and walk on the carpets in the mosque in shoes, lest he damage them or make them dirty.

The one who is keen to follow this Sunnah can apply it when praying at home, or when praying in places where there are no furnishings or carpets, such as parks, beaches and out of doors, etc. If this action confuses some of those who are unaware of the Sunnah, he should explain to them that it is Sunnah before he does it, so that they will not find that odd.

We ask Allaah to make us among those who adhere to the Sunnah and strive to follow it until He joins us with the author of the Sunnah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) close to the Lord of the Worlds. And Allaah is the Source of strength.

Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

Happy 2BA Muslim

Islamophilic
Assalamu alaikum Sister,

If there is no fear that the prayer time will end, then yes it is better for you to pray at home or in the mosque. These are the rulings for praying on a chair:

Rulings and issues about praying on a chair

Question:
During Taraweeh prayer, some worshippers need to sit on a chair. We know that the rear legs of the chair should be placed in line with the row if the person is going sit throughout the prayer, but my question is: how should it be lined up in the following cases:
1- When the person sit on the chair during the standing only
2- When he sits on the chair during bowing, prostration or the tashahhud
3- When he sits on the chair during various parts of the prayer?.

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

Firstly:

Standing, bowing and prostrating are pillars or essential parts of the prayer. Whoever can do them, it is obligatory for him to do them in the manner prescribed in sharee’ah. Whoever is not able to do them because of sickness or old age, it is Sunnah for him to sit on the ground or on a chair.

Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Guard strictly (five obligatory) As‑Salawaat (the prayers) especially the middle Salaah (i.e. the best prayer ‑ ‘Asr). And stand before Allaah with obedience [and do not speak to others during the Salaah (prayers)]”

[al-Baqarah 2:238]

It was narrated that ‘Imraan ibn Husayn (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: I had haemorrhoids so I asked the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) about praying. He said:

“Pray standing up; if you cannot, then pray sitting down; and if you cannot, then pray (lying) on your side.” Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 1066.

Ibn Qudaamah al-Maqdisi said:

The scholars are unanimously agreed that if a person cannot stand then he may pray sitting down. Al-Mughni, 1/443

Al-Nawawi said:

The ummah is unanimously agreed that whoever is unable to stand during the obligatory prayer may pray sitting, and he does not have to repeat it. Our companions said: his reward will not be less than the reward for praying standing, because he is excused. It is proven in Saheeh al-Bukhaari that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said:

“If a person is sick or travelling, the same reward will be written for him with regard to what he used to do when he was not travelling and was healthy.”

Al-Majmoo’, 4/226

Al-Shawkaani said:

The hadeeth of ‘Imraan indicates that it is permissible for one who has an excuse and cannot stand to pray sitting, and for one who has an excuse and cannot pray sitting to pray lying on his side.

Nayl al-Awtaar, 3/243

Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah said:

The Muslims are agreed that if a worshipper is unable to do some of the obligatory duties of prayer, such as standing, reciting, bowing, prostrating, covering the ‘awrah, facing the qiblah etc, then what he is unable to do is waived for him. End quote from Majmoo’ al-Fataawa, 8/437

Based on that, if a person offers an obligatory prayer sitting when he is able to stand, his prayer is invalid.

Secondly:

It should be noted that if a person is exempted from standing, his excuse does not make it permissible for him to sit on the chair to bow and prostrate.

If he is exempted from bowing and prostrating in the proper manner, that excuse does not make it permissible for him not to stand and to sit on the chair instead.

The basic principle with regard to the obligatory duties of prayer is that whatever the worshipper can do, he is obliged to do it, and whatever he is unable to do, is waived for him.

Whoever is unable to stand, it is permissible for him to sit on a chair during the standing, and he should bow and prostrate in the proper manner. If he is able to stand but it is difficult for him to bow and prostrate, he should pray standing, then sit on the chair when bowing and prostrating, and he should bend lower for the prostration than for the bowing.

Ibn Qudaamah al-Maqdisi said:

If a person is able to stand but he cannot bow or prostrate, the standing is not waived for him; he should pray standing and tilt his head for the bowing, then sit down and tilt his head for the prostration. This is the view of al-Shaafa’i…

Because Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And stand before Allaah with obedience” [al-Baqarah 2:238],

and the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said:

“Pray standing.”

And because standing is one of the pillars (essential parts of prayer) for the one who is able to do it, so he must do it, like the recitation. Being unable to do other things does not mean that this is waived, as is also the case if he is unable to recite. End quote from al-Mughni, 1/44.

Shaykh ‘Abd al-‘Azeez ibn Baaz (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

The one who prays sitting on the ground or on a chair must make his prostration lower than his bowing. The Sunnah is for him to put his hands on his knees when bowing, and when prostrating the Sunnah is to put them on the ground if possible; if he cannot do that then he should put them on his knees, because it was proven that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said:

“I have been commanded to prostrate on seven bones: the forehead – and he pointed to his nose – the two hands, the two knees, and the edges of the two feet (i.e., the toes).”

If a person is unable to do that and prays on a chair, there is nothing wrong with that, because Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“So keep your duty to Allaah and fear Him as much as you can”

[al-Taghaabaun 64:16]

and the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said:

“If I tell you to do a thing, then do as much of it as you can.” Saheeh – agreed upon.

Fataawa Ibn Baaz, 12/245, 246.

Thirdly:

With regard to the placement of the chair in the row, the scholars (may Allaah have mercy on them) stated that the one who prays sitting down should have his posterior in line with the row when he is sitting, so he should not be in front of the row or behind it at that point, because that is the place in which the body settles.

See Asnaa al-Mataalib, 1/222; Tuhfat al-Muhtaaj, 2/157; Sharh Muntaha al-Iraadaat, 1/279.

It says in al-Mawsoo’ah al-Fiqhiyyah (6/21):

In order for a person’s following the imam to be valid, he should not stand in front of the imam according to the majority of fuqaha’ (Hanafis, Shaafaa’is and Hanbalis).

How do we know whether he is in front of the imam or not, it is judged by where the heels are. If they are standing level at the heel and the toes of the one who is praying behind the imam turn out to be in front because he has longer feet, that does not matter. With regard to those who are sitting, it is judged by where the posterior is. And with regard to those who are praying on their sides, it is judged by their sides.

If the worshipper is going to pray on the chair from the beginning of the prayer until the end, then he should make the place where he will sit level with the row.

If he is going to pray standing, but he will sit on the chair when he bows and prostrates, we asked Shaykh ‘Abd al-Rahmaan al-Barraak about that, and he said that what matters here is the standing position, so he should be level with the row when standing.

Based on this, the chair will be behind the row, so it should be placed in such a manner that it will not disturb worshippers in the row behind.

And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A

Happy 2BA Muslim

Islamophilic
yes, obviously it would be the simplest answer :)

Assalamu alaikum Sister,

I`m afraid your simple answer isn`t correct. According to the scenario you presented, it would actually be mustahabb for you to pray with your shoes on.

I`m sorry if the answer was quite long, but I thought it would be better to have the detailed reply of a scholar, even if there was more information than you wanted.

Regarding praying on the bus while you are sitting, as long as you can pray standing, than it is not permissible for you to pray while seated. If time is running out, get off at the next stop and find a place to pray, then get back on the next bus.

Now that is not my fatwa, it is based on the above Islam Q&A fatwa.

Libinette

Umm Zubayr
assalamu caleikum brother, i was being sarcastic here (but it true you can never really tell), Jazakallah kheir for the articles, they were really interresting.

wassalam

Jihan

MashAllah I just loved how all these people brought you proof on what the religion says about praying with your shoes on and praying while you're sitting, instead of just saying things to you without daliil. From what I have read in the ahadith us that praying with your shoes is actually part of the sunnah, because there was a hadith where the prophet (saw) said that the Jews always take their shoes off when they enter prayer, so in order to separate ourselves from them we pray with or without our shoes. but we usually don't pray with our shoes because we enter the masjid and homes and we don't want to dirty the floor for those who don't have their shoes on.And about praying while you're sitting I read in another hadith that said that it is okay to pray sitting if you need to but the reward of the one who sits is half of the one who stands (which is only common sense). And about praying while on the bus? the closest thing is the Prophet (saw) use the pray while mounted on his camel! I am really sorry that I didn't show you any of these hadiths; I don't kow how to bring them over. InshaAllah maybe I'll learn how to do that soon. And I am sorry if I have made mistakes above, but all tof this is to the best of my knowledge.

ibnunas

:salam2: actually to practise islam it is best that we attend islamic classes, such as tauhid, fiqh and tasauf. Because as it is , islam will never burden its followers, actually prayers can be done by jamak (performing two prayer at one time) if the situation needed. and the is nothing wrong praying with the shoe on if the shoe is not having najis and if we are praying in the park for example.I guess likewise if we attend to school to gain knowledge than it is also wise that we attend to islamic classes to have a better understanding of practicing islam:inshallah: Wallahualam

Libinette

Umm Zubayr
:salam2: actually to practise islam it is best that we attend islamic classes, such as tauhid, fiqh and tasauf. Because as it is , islam will never burden its followers, actually prayers can be done by jamak (performing two prayer at one time) if the situation needed. and the is nothing wrong praying with the shoe on if the shoe is not having najis and if we are praying in the park for example.I guess likewise if we attend to school to gain knowledge than it is also wise that we attend to islamic classes to have a better understanding of practicing islam:inshallah: Wallahualam

I actually do attend classes where we learn abt hadiths, fiqh, tawheed, seerah, but i just wanted to be sure :)

ibnunas

:salam2: :allahuakbar: alhamdulillah that you are attending islamic classes may allah reward you and gain your knowledge, keep on going to better your knowledge:inshallah: and my advice is ask as many question in the class.
Wallahualam:salam2:

ibn azem

Super Moderator
Staff member
:salam2:

Ruling on women praying the janaazah (funeral) prayer

Question:
Could you please back this up with the hadeeth to make things clearer and also please try to give full reference of the hadeeth to everything you state ?
(But with regard to the prayer (women praying the funeral prayer), there is nothing wrong with that. Women may join the funeral prayer. The prohibition applies only to visiting the graves. Women should not visit graves according to the more correct of the two scholarly opinions, because of the ahaadeeth which indicate that that is forbidden. She does not have to offer any kafaarah, all she has to do is repent.)
Can you tell me if women prayed Funeral Prayers in the times of our prophet(P.B.U.H)?

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.​

Praying the janaazah (funeral) prayer is prescribed for both men and women, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever attends the janaazah until he offers the prayer will have one qeeraat (of reward), and whoever attends until (the deceased) is buried will have two qeeraats.” It was said, “O Messenger of Allaah, what are the two qeeraats?” He said, “Like two great mountains,” meaning, of reward. (Saheeh – agreed upon). But women should not follow the funeral procession to the graveyard, because they are not allowed to do that, as it was reported in al-Saheehayn that Umm Salamah (may Allaah be pleased with her) said: “We were forbidden to follow the funeral procession but it was not made absolute on us.” (narrated by Muslim). But women are not forbidden to offer the janaazah prayer, whether it is offered in the mosque, in a house or in a prayer-place. Women used to offer the janaazah prayer with the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) in his mosque and after his lifetime. Visiting graves, however, is something which is only for men, as is following the funeral procession, because the Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) cursed women who visit graves. The reason for that – and Allaah knows best – is that there is the fear that if women were to follow funeral processions to the graveyard or visit graves, that would cause fitnah (temptation) to others or to themselves. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, “I have not left behind any fitnah more harmful to men than women.” (Saheeh – agreed upon). And Allaah is the Source of strength.​

Majmoo’ Fataawa wa Maqaalaat Mutanawwi’ah li Samaahat al-Shaykh ‘Abd al-‘Azeez ibn ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Baaz (may Allaah have mercy on him), vol. 13, p. 133

TheKnowledgeSeeker

A Believer In Heart
Assalamu alaykum,

I am in the middle of class when it is time to pray so i pray in my next period i pray with my shoes even when it is raining and i ask the teacher to let me pray in his office usual i pray outside. I would advice you to pray the time you get off the bus becasue of the noise.The improtant thing is you pray where ever you pray at.

:tti_sister: -May Allah make us good muslims!