The Rulings of An-Najasah

englishelm11

Definition of Najasah

An- Najasah Linguistically: Dirt/Impurity, An-Najasah in The Context of Islamic Law: Impurities which the Islamic law orders to be removed

- Types of An-Najasah

1- Human urine and feces

The proof is the hadeeth about the Bedouin Arab who urinated in the mosque and the Prophet ﷺ admonished him by saying, “These masaajid (mosques) are not for urinating or other filth, but they are for the remembrance of Allah, Salat and recitation of the Quran.” [ agreed upon.]

2- Menstrual Blood

The proof for this is from the authentic narration, when Khaulah, the daughter of Yasaar y, went to the Prophet ﷺ and said: “O Messenger of Allah, I possess only one garment and I am menstruating,” the Prophet said: “When the blood stops (and you have taken a bath), wash the part stained with blood then pray in it.” [ narrated by Abu Dawud.]

Any blood, apart from menstrual blood, is pure. Whether it is blood spilled out or other than that. The evidence for this is the narration where one of the polytheists shot an arrow at one of the believers when he was praying. The man was hit and blood began flowing from the wound, but he removed the arrow and continued his prayer.

3- Urine and Dung of Animals Which Aren’t Permissible to Eat

This is established on the hadeeth of Ibn Mas’ud : “The Prophet ﷺ went to the toilet and he ordered that I bring him three stones, but I only found two stones. I searched for a third, but didn’t find it, so I took a piece of dung and went to him with them. He took the two stones and dropped the dung saying: ‘This is impure.’” [ narrated by Al-Bukhari.]

4- Dead Meat

It is any animal which died on its own, without being slaughtered in accordance with Islamic Law. Dead meat also includes any part cut from a live animal, before the animal is slaughtered.

1-Dead Fish and Locusts

2-Dead Animals Which Have No Flowing Blood (like flies)

5- Pork

6- Dog Saliva

7- Al- Maḍhy

It is a whitish sticky liquid that is produced during foreplay or by thinking of sex. It is neither emitted from sexual desire nor does it gush forth, and it is not accompanied by a feeling of tiredness due to its release - contrary to semen. One may not even notice its discharge.

8- Al-Wady

It is a thick white fluid that comes out sometimes after urination.

Cleaning of Semen (Al- Maniy)

Semen is a thick white fluid that exits the body at the peak of sexual stimulation and gushes forth when it exits. Its release is accompanied by a feeling of tiredness and it smells somewhat like the pollen of a palm tree or yeast. It is pure. This is because if it was impure, the Prophet ﷺ would have ordered us to wash anything spoiled by it. In regards to removing al- maniy, it is sufficient to rinse the cloth if al-maniy is wet, or just scrape it off if it is dry. This is according to A’ishah (may Allah be pleased with her) who said: “The Prophet used to wash semen from his clothes and go to pray in them while I saw traces of the rinse water on them.” [ agreed upon.] And in the narration by Muslim: “I remember scraping it (Al-Maniy) from the clothes of Allah’s Messenger, and then he prayed in them.” [ narrated by Muslim.]