Hijab, Recommended or Mandatory? .

Status
Not open for further replies.

cabdixakim

Response: You have not refuted anything. You do not have any ancient Arabic writings from the time of the Prophet or as even as early as within the first century after the time of the Prophet in which the word khimar is used only to refer to covering the head or hair. Where is it? You provided nothing.

Nor did you provide any evidence that a head cover was commonly worn during the Prophet’s life or even a century after his death, nor any reliable chain of narrators going back to the first 4 Caliphs of Islam that ever document or report any dispute or issue they had with the Muslims regarding the fact that they did not wear the head cover all this time. Thus supporting the fact that both history and Islamic sources proves that the head cover is NOT mandatory in Islam. It is a cultural practice.

This has turned out to be as baseless and futile argument as you'll ever see!

This logic logic isn't my thing for "...Islam isn't based on logic and philosophy..."( From Ali Ibn Talib's words)... but I did not see your logic any where... I'm sorry(I hate telling this truth) your posts have neither logic nor nobility! So hypocritical that I can hardly bear... ( because you accuse me of not using logic and yet ask me to provide text and evidence to prove my case! Hypocrisy at work!)

Read the original post, see the Qur'anic verses! Help yourself! See the Ahadith quoted in the original two posts! See the one about Ansaar woman in particular!... read the posts that follow! And Help your self!

besides being so extreme in views @Al-Fatihah you're very arrogant! Arrogance is all I see from the manner you reply...

I wrote a long post,you ignored it completely...then I wrote another one and you replied to the first paragraph(ignoring the last paragraphs which are the most important and reasoning-based)

Arrogance is when you're self-centric... And I'm sorry arrogance made you disregard what others are posting!

I'm not arrogant neither is anyone else apart from you because I replied to you point by point, not belittling any of your points!

So I rest my case!( my final reply to someone blind following a piece of work which he saw on the Internet and fell in love with_ this headcover issue isn't your work, we both know that! you fell in love with this idea from Internet and you're taking it every where to justify and meet your day to day life)

Al-Fatihah

This has turned out to be as baseless and futile argument as you'll ever see!

This logic logic isn't my thing for "...Islam isn't based on logic and philosophy..."( From Ali Ibn Talib's words)... but I did not see your logic any where... I'm sorry(I hate telling this truth) your posts have neither logic nor nobility! So hypocritical that I can hardly bear... ( because you accuse me of not using logic and yet ask me to provide text and evidence to prove my case! Hypocrisy at work!)

Read the original post, see the Qur'anic verses! Help yourself! See the Ahadith quoted in the original two posts! See the one about Ansaar woman in particular!... read the posts that follow! And Help your self!

besides being so extreme in views @Al-Fatihah you're very arrogant! Arrogance is all I see from the manner you reply...

I wrote a long post,you ignored it completely...then I wrote another one and you replied to the first paragraph(ignoring the last paragraphs which are the most important and reasoning-based)

Arrogance is when you're self-centric... And I'm sorry arrogance made you disregard what others are posting!

I'm not arrogant neither is anyone else apart from you because I replied to you point by point, not belittling any of your points!

So I rest my case!( my final reply to someone blind following a piece of work which he saw on the Internet and fell in love with_ this headcover issue isn't your work, we both know that! you fell in love with this idea from Internet and you're taking it every where to justify and meet your day to day life)

Response: In other words, you have no evidence . Did we see you provide any ancient Arabic writing from the first century of Islam where the word Khimar means head cover only? No.

Do we see above anywhere where it shows that the head cover was a common practice during the Prophet's life or even a century after his life? No.

Did you quote a reliable chain or narrators going back to the Prophet or even the first 4 Caliphs of Islam that document or report any dispute or issue regarding the fact that the head cover is not commonly wore all this time? No.

So we all can see that you provided absolutely no evidence. Thus your repeated failure supports the fact that the head cover is not mandatory in Islam. It is a cultural preference, and your reasoning to say otherwise is based on taqleed, in which you blindly follow the opinions of others with no logical evidence to support it and even the scholars you reference reject your blind faith approach and they themselves never claim to be right. So your methodology is not Islamic or logical, thus it is to be rejected.

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
We can find clear evidencies for using hijab from the Quran. Claiming anything else is just false testimony. That´s all.

From http://www.onislam.net/english/ask-...ip/166087-is-hijab-a-quranic-commandment.html

First of all, I would like to quote the verses in the Holy Quran that speak of the hijab. Please see verses 30-31 in Surah 24 of the Holy Quran, which give the meaning of:

{Tell the believing men to lower their gaze and be modest. That is purer for them. Lo! Allah is Aware of what they do. And tell the believing women to lower their gaze and be modest, and to display of their adornment only that which is apparent, and to draw their veils over their bosoms, and not to reveal their adornment save to their own husbands or fathers or husbands’ fathers, or their sons or their husbands' sons, or their brothers or their brothers' sons or sisters’ sons, or their women, or their slaves, or male attendants who lack vigor, or children who know naught of women's nakedness. And let them not stamp their feet so as to reveal what they hide of their adornment. And turn unto Allah together, O believers, in order that ye may succeed.}

See also verse number 59 in Surah, which gives the meaning of:

{O Prophet! Tell thy wives and thy daughters and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks close round them [when they go abroad]. That will be better, that so they may be recognized and not annoyed. Allah is ever Forgiving, Merciful.}

The above verses very clearly show that it is Allah Almighty Himself, Who commands the women to wear hijab, though that word is not used in the above verses. In fact, the term hijab means much more than the covering of the body; it refers to the code of modesty outlined in the verses quoted above.

Look at the expressions used: “Lower their gaze”, “be modest”, “not to display their adornment”, “draw the veils over their bosoms” “not to stamp their feet” etc.

It must be clear to any thinking person what is meant by all the above expressions in the Holy Quran. Women in the Prophet’s time used to wear a kind of dress that covered the head, but not the bosom properly. So when they are asked to draw their veils over their bosoms so as not to reveal their beauty, it is clear that the dress must cover the head as well as the body. And hair is considered by people in most cultures of the world - not only in the Arab culture - as an attractive part of a woman’s beauty.

Until the end of the nineteenth century, ladies in the west used to put on some kind of head gear, if not a cover for the whole hair. This is quite in conformity with the Biblical injunction for the women to cover their heads. Even in these degenerate times, people pay more respect to the more modestly dressed ladies, than to the scantily clad ones. Imagine a lady prime minister or a queen wearing a low-cut blouse or a miniskirt in an international conference! Can she command as much respect there as she would get if she were in a more modest attire?

For the above reasons, the scholars of Islam are unanimous that the Quranic verses quoted above clearly mean that women must cover the head and the whole body except for the face and the hands.

You quoted the allegation that the Prophet introduced the hijab, because he saw one of his wives “flirting” with another man. This is one of those baseless charges against Islam and its Prophet, coined by those who saw their fragile ideologies crumbling before the march of Islam.

Does the hijab prevent a woman from performing her day-to-day duties?

For one thing a woman does not normally wear hijab in her own house, so it shouldn’t get in the way when she’s doing housework. If she is working in a factory close to machinery or in a laboratory, for example—she can wear a different style of hijab that doesn’t have dragging ends. Actually loose trousers and a long shirt for instance lets her to bend, lift, or climb steps or ladders more easily, if her work allows that. Such a dress would certainly give her more freedom of movement while protecting her modesty at the same time.

However it is interesting to note that the very same people who find fault with the Islamic dress code for women do not find anything improper in the dress of nuns. It is evident that the “hijab” of Mother Teresa did not prevent her from social work! And the western world honored her with the Nobel Prize! But the same people would argue that the hijab is a hindrance for a Muslim girl in a school or for a Muslim lady working as a cashier in a supermarket! This is the kind of hypocrisy or double standards which paradoxically some “sophisticated” people find fashionable!

Is hijab an oppression? It could certainly be so, if someone forces a woman to wear it. But for that matter, semi-nudity also can be an oppression, if someone forces a woman to adopt that style. If women in the west - or east - have the freedom to dress as they please, why not allow the Muslim women to prefer a more modest dress?

May Allah bless us and guide us to see the wisdom behind His commandments, so that we may follow them with more conviction!

Thank you again my dear sister for your precious question and please do not hesitate to contact us again if you have more questions on your mind. Please, always keep in touch.

Salam.

Useful Links:

Hijab: Is It All About Appearance?
Hijab: An Insult to Unveiled Women?
The True Meaning of Hijab
Hijab: What's It All About?
Islamic Scholarship and the Hijab
Why Muslim Women Choose to Wear Hijab
Hijab Again!
When I First Put On Hijab

Al-Fatihah

No verse in the Qur'an says it is mandatory to cover the head, supported by the fact that the words "head cover" or anything synonymous to it can be quoted. Thus it is clear that the Qur'an does not mandate a head cover, as demonstrated in the OP.

2014/01/26
Question:

I was wondering about the issue of hijab. Most Islamic scholars say that the hijab is obligatory, however a few don't. I teach at a Sunday school. A few students quote these scholars who say that the hijab is only recommended but not obligatory. How should a Muslim respond when a student quotes these scholars? To make things more difficult, those scholars were born and raised and even studied Islam in Muslim countries! So how should a teacher respond?Some teachers just dismiss them but from my experience, because of the facts stated above, just dismissing them damages the teachers credibility and the students lose respect for us — teachers — and are less likely to listen on other issues. So how do I respond when a student brings an unorthodox argument from these scholars who are in fact very well-known and popular?

consultant:

Dr. Mohsen Haredy

Answer

Thank you for your question and for contacting Ask About Islam.
Unfortunately, the issue of hijab is raised every now and then, not only in non-Muslim countries but also in some Muslim countries. Those who reject the hijab as being obligatory on Muslim women, consider it part of the culture that has nothing to do with religion, though it is part and parcel of the religion and constitutes the dress code ordained by Islam on Muslim women.
In your question you referred to some names who reject the hijab. It is very strange that some of those who reject hijab, especially in Muslim countries, do not have a religious background. They discuss this issue as part of modernity and say that modernity does not support hijab as, according to them, it is a hindrance to the integration of women in their societies.

What Makes a Scholar?

There is an important note we have to make here, in order to understand Islamic scholarship and how Islamic Law is derived. Muslims derive the rules of Shari`ah (Islamic Law) from the Quran, the Sunnah, qiyas (analogical deduction), and ijma` (consensus) of scholars.

After these main sources comes ijtihad (personal reasoning) of Muslim scholars. Scholars must meet certain conditions in order to validate their ijtihad. Scholars who exercise ijtihad must have knowledge of the Quran, Sunnah, consensus of scholars, and analogical deduction. They must also have knowledge of science of the abrogating verses of the Quran and the abrogated ones. They should also possess a natural skill and a sharp intellect to exercise ijtihad and analyze the deducted rules.

It is worth mentioning that there are different specializations in the field of Islamic scholarship. There is a scholar of Hadith (the traditions of the Prophet), a scholar of fiqh (jurisprudence), a scholar of tafseer (the exegesis of the Quran), and so on. Each one is well-versed in a specific area. A scholar of Hadith can not be called upon to issue fatwas, for example. Therefore, Islam respects the concept of specialization, especially in the field of knowledge.
Another important point that should be made clear is that Muslim scholars who exercise ijtihad do not differ as to the basic principles of the Shari`ah. We have not heard of a qualified scholar who said the Five Prayers are not obligatory or even that the Fajr Prayer, for example, is three rak`ahs and not two. They differ only as to detailed issues. Throughout all of the Muslim history, we have not heard of any qualified scholar who criticized hijab and tried to cast doubts on it being an obligation on Muslim women.
Hijab… Thrice Confirmed

The issue of hijab has been decided and made clear more than 1400 years ago, first by the Quran, then by the Sunnah, and furthermore by the consensus of Muslim scholars.

In the glorious Quran, we read what means:
{O Prophet! Tell thy wives and thy daughters and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks close round them (when they go abroad). That will be better, so that they may be recognized and not annoyed. Allah is ever Forgiving, Merciful.} (Al-Ahzab 33:59)

In another verse, we also read what means:
{And tell the believing women to lower their gaze and be modest, and to display of their adornment only that which is apparent, and to draw their veils over their bosoms.} (An-Nur 24:31)

According to this verse, a woman's dress must cover her entire body with the exception of "that which is apparent" which, according to the most agreed-upon interpretation, refers to the face and hands.

The word khimar in the verse quoted above means "women's head covering". The "bosoms" refer to any opening in the clothes that may show any part of the body. Thus, Muslim women are commanded to cover their heads and to draw this head cover until it covers any other openings in their clothes.

In addition to the Quranic commandment, we also read in the traditions of the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) that he once said to Asma', daughter of Abu Bakr (may Allah be pleased with them): "O Asma'! Once a girl reaches puberty, nothing of her body may be seen by men who are not immediate family members except this and these (he pointed to his face and hands while saying so)." (Abu Daud)

The Prophet's wives were the first to apply the command to draw veils over their bosoms. Also, the wives of the Prophet's Companions applied the same commandment.

As we mentioned before, all qualified Muslim scholars throughout Islamic history agree on the obligation of hijab and that it is not a religious symbol to differentiate between Muslim and non-Muslim women, rather it is a dress code ordained by Islam on Muslim women. The command in the verse is considered as an obligation, and not a recommendation.

It is clear from both Prophetic tradition and historical precedence that the obligation for Muslim women to wear the hijab cannot be taken as merely an interpretation given by Muslim scholars on the above verses. It is a clear-cut commandment from Allah the Almighty.

However, it is true that Muslim scholars differed as to whether niqab (face veil) is obligatory or not. The majority are of the opinion that Muslim women are allowed to uncover their faces and hands. Again, as we mentioned earlier, scholars never argue over the basics of Islam, but only differ about details and side issues.

You as a teacher cannot dismiss without comment the views of those scholars who criticize the hijab. Ask your students to bring the evidence that supports the views of those scholars, and try to make your students understand the nature of Allah's commandment in the verses quoted above.

Try to open a dialogue with your students and make things clear to them. Teach them the etiquette of difference in Islam. Teach them that scholars differ only on very detailed issues. They cannot differ on major and essential issues like hijab.

Let them know that those who criticize the hijab do not represent the majority of Muslim scholars. They are only expressing their own views which are baseless in the face of the mainstream Muslim views based on the Quran, the Sunnah, and the consensus of the Ummah.

Source: http://www.onislam.net/english/ask-...ip/166970-hijab-recommended-or-mandatory.html
well good topic
first of all we should all know what is the SUNNAH .
it's something very close to the QURAN ,because the prophet MOHAMMED "peace & mercy be upon him" did not talk from his own it was WAHY that ALLAH inspire to him.

secondy the quran did not clarify every single issue in islam for example it is said that PRAYER is obligatory but it didn't mentioned how many prayer in the day ...and so for many other issues , and sisnce islam is perfect because Allah is perfect, many clarification came in the SUNNAH.

what i know is that ALLAH ordred women to cover them selves and not to show off their beauty in front of foreign people...this is said in the holy quran.
and then the SUNNAH comes to clarify the missing point which is "the beauty of woman" which is all the body of the woman except the hands and face.
so now i think it's clear that women must cover their heads and wear hijeb .

zaman-gm

No verse in the Qur'an says it is mandatory to cover the head, supported by the fact that the words "head cover" or anything synonymous to it can be quoted. Thus it is clear that the Qur'an does not mandate a head cover, as demonstrated in the OP.
There are some part in this verse and one of them is "guard their private parts" can't you see this part for your point!!!???
And it is true that the people like you and me are not much good to Understand Qur'an. That's why you won't found many things from it. Qur'an tale us every thing some time directly, some times indirectly. Where as everything is in this Qur'an but very few peoples are good to figure them out.

You said
"No verse in the Qur'an says it is mandatory to cover the head,"

You are pretending like a higher level Mufassir of Qur'an(!!?) Brother would you please post a verse where Allah swt tale us how to perform Salah(first to last) in a direct indication?

Please leave it to the professional. Those who abandons their life for this Qur'an. Please don't try of humiliate us to saying again and again that we are blind and we blindly follow them.
"And We sent not before you, [O Muhammad], except men to whom We revealed [the message], so ask the people of the message if you do not know." 21:7

Last edited:

Al-Fatihah

There are some part in this verse and one of them is "guard their private parts" can't you see this part for your point!!!???
And it is true that the people like you and me are not much good to Understand Qur'an. That's why you won't found many things from it. Qur'an tale us every thing some time directly, some times indirectly. Where as everything is in this Qur'an but very few peoples are understand to figure them out.

You said

You are pretending like a higher level Mufassir of Qur'an(!!?) Brother would you please post a verse where Allah swt tale us how to perform Salah(first to last) in a direct indication?

Please leave it to the professional. Those who abandons their life for this Qur'an. Please don't try of humiliate us to saying again and again that we are blind and we blindly follow them.
"And We sent not before you, [O Muhammad], except men to whom We revealed [the message], so ask the people of the message if you do not know." 21:7

Response: No where in the Qur'an or Sunnah is hair called a private part. So quoting verses that say to cover the private part is not proof that one must cover their hair. Furthermore, your inability to comprehend the Qur'an and Sunnah does not mean others cannot as well. For I understand the Qur'an and Sunnah easily, and when you desist from the practice of taqlid, perhaps you will be able to do so as well, inshaAllah.
As the Qur'an says that it is clear (16:103).

Last edited:

Um Ibrahim

Alhamdulilah :)
Don't even use the Quran for your misguidance. Hijab is wajib. The prophets wives wore not only hijab but a face veil. That's how covered they were. So u mean to tell me that they didn't understand what they were doing? Furthermore, there are so many hadiths in which it is obvious that the Prophet proves to us how obligatory the hijab is. Subhanalaah and the nerve u have trying to use the Quran to justify your nonsense.

Shishani

Staff member
Topic closed. The member has been warned not to discuss things and spread his misguidance here. The Muslims are unanimously agreed for 1400 years that the Hijab is obligatory, and the conditions for it are well known.

Status
Not open for further replies.