Is Evolution a Scientific Theory?

Abu Juwairiya

What qualifies a theory as a scientific theory?

According to the 'Encyclopaedia of Scientific Principles, Laws and Theories' a scientific theory, such as Albert Einstein's theory of gravity, must

1. Be observable

2. Be reproducible by controlled experiments

3. Make accurate predictions

In that light, where does evolution stand?*

Its operation cannot be observed. It cannot be reproduced. And it cannot make accurate predictions. Can evolution even be considered a scientific hypothesis?

The same encyclopaedia defines a hypothesis as "a more tentative observation of facts [than a theory]," yet lends itself 'to deductions that can be experimentally tested."

*By 'evolution', we mean 'macroevolution- apes turning into humans for example. 'Microevolution' refers to small changes within a species." (Source: Awake magazine, August 2015, P 7)

P-Thulhu

I have been thinking for a while as to how best approach this post with comments of my own.

So, as some back ground, I am but a simple blue-collar worker with naught but a trade's mans level of education. I hold no real further degrees nor other formal education.

As a beginning, m first question to the opening poster is simply,

"What/why is there bad/poor science in regards to evolution?

*Note* I am of the limited understanding that there are no such 'real' terms as 'Macro' or 'Micro'... the idea etc of life's development (There really should, perhaps, be a better word other than the general word used) is simply that... 'Evolution'.

*Bows* Much cheers to all.

Abu Juwairiya

I have been thinking for a while as to how best approach this post with comments of my own.

So, as some back ground, I am but a simple blue-collar worker with naught but a trade's mans level of education. I hold no real further degrees nor other formal education.

As a beginning, m first question to the opening poster is simply,

"What/why is there bad/poor science in regards to evolution?

*Note* I am of the limited understanding that there are no such 'real' terms as 'Macro' or 'Micro'... the idea etc of life's development (There really should, perhaps, be a better word other than the general word used) is simply that... 'Evolution'.

*Bows* Much cheers to all.

Thank you for your question. I will attempt to respond in four or five posts. First, I am no better than you or maybe even less in terms of simplicity and knowledge. Thee are many who can answer with greater depth and have better understanding than me, but since it is directed me you will have to be content with my answers.

Abu Juwairiya

The Russian entomologist Yuri Filipchenko first coined the terms "macroevolution" and "microevolution" in 1927 in his German language work, "Variabilität und Variation". He himself was an evolutionist.

Macroevolutionary studies focus on change that occurs at or above the level of species, in contrast with microevolution, which refers to smaller evolutionary changes within a species or population.

Abu Juwairiya

If I can also add, Islam is above such terms and philosophies. Microevolution is restricted to a time period for characteristics, traits, attributes, physical properties and genetic pools that cater to human limitations and intellectual observation. By this I mean evolution in both senses may be divided into two classes for clarification of differentiation, but actual distinction between both is limited and as such macroevolution is given greater credibility and attention due to the prevailing attitude in scientific advancement over and above belief in a Divine Creator. Islam has its own view and is not limited to definitions.

Microevolution for example can be helpful in stating that ancient animals of a given kind have evolved into a similar one for today such as historical horses being the ancestors of modern horses, early forms of birds the progenitors of modern birds, old viruses for new viruses, ancient bacteria for today's bacteria and so forth, however the accepted view by meaning is that human beings may not live long enough to observe differences for larger periods (such as five hundred year cycles, millenniums or million year epochs for example). It does not say there will be huge changes, definite and huge transformations and large scale adaptations to other types both within or outside a species, but leaves the possibility clear as something we may never know because no human will be here to see it for certain. Islam rejects such assertions. In addition, the religious view does not end with the narrowness of the dictionary definition and accepted meanings of today.

In earlier times before the 'age of science' if I can call it that, secularism gave this honour to magic and the occult. Tomorrow it may be aliens or something else. In religion, this attitude does not change. Those who do not believe in religion may not always retain their beliefs yesterday, today, tomorrow and for all time as there is no foundation to start with other than personal evaluation/s alone and no unified criterion either.

In Darwin's lifetime, observation of minute particles (and I believe atoms as well) was not possible. Scientists and Evolutionists developed the Neo Darwinist concept once observation of such things became a reality and more theories and experimentation followed. Neo Darwinism however, also does not accept everything about Darwin's view, and actually rejects some opinions (for example his racism towards the aborigines in Australia).

P-Thulhu

The Russian entomologist Yuri Filipchenko first coined the terms "macroevolution" and "microevolution" in 1927 in his German language work, "Variabilität und Variation". He himself was an evolutionist.

Macroevolutionary studies focus on change that occurs at or above the level of species, in contrast with microevolution, which refers to smaller evolutionary changes within a species or population.

Ah! Indeed, this I had heard in passing.

As far as I am understanding, in this instance we have two things happening with language.

1) The translation from Russian into English.

2) The possible misquoting of the whole text into which the terms are being used.

As in the case of 'Punctuated equilibrium'... The idea in which case is not whether evolution is or is not happening but the relative speed at which evolution can happen.

As I mentioned before... the use of 'Mirco'/'Macro today seems to be more of an obfuscation than an attempt at education.

So, thank you very much for your reply. A wonderful chance to learn something new. :)

P-Thulhu

While I find your comment interesting.. there's a whole lot of information going on within the text.

As your previous link make clear, the terms 'Micro' and 'Macro' were not Boeing used to invalidate the idea of evolution but used help delineate things happening at different 'scales'.

Also, the research is now almost over a century old (My.. how the 1920's seems so simply 'yesterday' :p ) and science moves on.

As for your comment about 'Ages of science'... I believe the more correct term is 'Age of enlightenment" or "Age of reason".. that time when people were simply looking at the world around them and methodically sitting down (Or going out and getting filthy :) ) to simply work out what was actually happening within the world around them. (As well as planting flags all over the place and re-naming mountains etc ;) )

Said people were, in general, all ready living in 'relatively' secular countries/establishments/politics... Though such things as their flavors of belief were still in extant. At thier level of understanding of the world, many things they thought they understood -As it were- in truth they truly did not. As you say, there was also a growth in people looking into/finding out about other's beliefs etc. Sometimes said researchers (Lookers?) simply bringing back said ideas and reinterpreting them (Often poorly)

Hence people becoming enamored with Egyptian mythology/symbolism and Eastern philosophies and practices etc.

Indeed, the sciences on all fronts have moved on, as our knowledge/understanding of the world around us grows... so do our behaviors change as we learn more.

So, again, I ask "What/why is there bad/poor science in regards to evolution?"

*Bows*

Abu Juwairiya

While I find your comment interesting.. there's a whole lot of information going on within the text.

As your previous link make clear, the terms 'Micro' and 'Macro' were not Boeing used to invalidate the idea of evolution but used help delineate things happening at different 'scales'.

Also, the research is now almost over a century old (My.. how the 1920's seems so simply 'yesterday' :p ) and science moves on.

As for your comment about 'Ages of science'... I believe the more correct term is 'Age of enlightenment" or "Age of reason".. that time when people were simply looking at the world around them and methodically sitting down (Or going out and getting filthy :) ) to simply work out what was actually happening within the world around them. (As well as planting flags all over the place and re-naming mountains etc ;) )

Said people were, in general, all ready living in 'relatively' secular countries/establishments/politics... Though such things as their flavors of belief were still in extant. At thier level of understanding of the world, many things they thought they understood -As it were- in truth they truly did not. As you say, there was also a growth in people looking into/finding out about other's beliefs etc. Sometimes said researchers (Lookers?) simply bringing back said ideas and reinterpreting them (Often poorly)

Hence people becoming enamored with Egyptian mythology/symbolism and Eastern philosophies and practices etc.

Indeed, the sciences on all fronts have moved on, as our knowledge/understanding of the world around us grows... so do our behaviors change as we learn more.

So, again, I ask "What/why is there bad/poor science in regards to evolution?"

*Bows*

I'm not quite sure what your point is or your question at the end either, but thank you for your analysis nonetheless.

As to some of the issues raised in your post. You are correct it is an old theory and things have moved on, if the there was a mistranslation from the original language to others it is the fault of those who had continued to use it until now. I would be interested to know why you think so however. Second, the age of enlightenment or age of reason seems little different from the renaissance several centuries earlier in the first shift away from religion and towards secularism and later science. Perhaps some things have moved on as you say especially in the form of globalisation and international age of time distance compression among other things. As to what is happening around us, this leads me to think you are referring to ideas, philosophies, development and technological advancement, and to a lesser extent in learning about other people, cultures and systems- am I correct.

P-Thulhu

I'm not quite sure what your point is or your question at the end either, but thank you for your analysis nonetheless.

As to some of the issues raised in your post. You are correct it is an old theory and things have moved on, if the there was a miss-translation from the original language to others it is the fault of those who had continued to use it until now. I would be interested to know why you think so however. Second, the age of enlightenment or age of reason seems little different from the renaissance several centuries earlier in the first shift away from religion and towards secularism and later science. Perhaps some things have moved on as you say especially in the form of globalisation and international age of time distance compression among other things. As to what is happening around us, this leads me to think you are referring to ideas, philosophies, development and technological advancement, and to a lesser extent in learning about other people, cultures and systems- am I correct.

Well.. one of the problems with the Renaissance is... it didn't stick.

There were whole wars fought to 'Counter the renaissance'. Wondrous works were made... only for another group to come along and destroy them in the name of religion.

The later Age of reason grew into that which we have today. Along with all the bad things like wars etc. :( . Since it was 'Industrialization' which allowed for the automation of slaughter that was the First World War.

As for 'Secularism'... that seems to be a more 'recent' ideal. Most folks who were around at the time were quite happy to believe they were investigating the mind of god, as it were.

Secularism (At the time) seemed to be more a political thing as people sought to unshackle themselves from the oppressive Catholic etc church Fathers.

Which is digressing from my question of your opening posts re-:

"In that light, where does evolution stand?*

Its operation cannot be observed. It cannot be reproduced. And it cannot make accurate predictions. Can evolution even be considered a scientific hypothesis?"

What/which points do you say cannot be observed?

What do you think has gone wrong that the theory should be set back to hypothesis?

*Bows* Much cheers to you and yours.

Abu Juwairiya

Well.. one of the problems with the Renaissance is... it didn't stick.

There were whole wars fought to 'Counter the renaissance'. Wondrous works were made... only for another group to come along and destroy them in the name of religion.

The later Age of reason grew into that which we have today. Along with all the bad things like wars etc. :( . Since it was 'Industrialization' which allowed for the automation of slaughter that was the First World War.

As for 'Secularism'... that seems to be a more 'recent' ideal. Most folks who were around at the time were quite happy to believe they were investigating the mind of god, as it were.

Secularism (At the time) seemed to be more a political thing as people sought to unshackle themselves from the oppressive Catholic etc church Fathers.

Which is digressing from my question of your opening posts re-:

"In that light, where does evolution stand?*

Its operation cannot be observed. It cannot be reproduced. And it cannot make accurate predictions. Can evolution even be considered a scientific hypothesis?"

What/which points do you say cannot be observed?

What do you think has gone wrong that the theory should be set back to hypothesis?

*Bows* Much cheers to you and yours.

I disagree. Secularism is far from new. What is different is that you couldn't be as open about it as now and the dominant or fashionable trend is to be atheist and to believe in evolution. Previously, you had to include religion in your philosophy to be taken seriously or not to be accused of heresy. Rene Descarte for example was an atheist a few centuries ago but he added references to 'God' to make people read his works.

Second, I am not a scientist and science is not my field, so my apologies for lack of knowledge in this subject area, but in my limited understanding here in relation to observation of evolution, everything is a theory until or unless it is tested. A test shows the accuracy or fallacy of a given theory. Darwin himself until his dying day called evolution a theory and he never said he observed evolution. His own theories were never tested and he never created any hypotheses either. I do not say evolution should be set back to hypothesis, science uses it to make theories into facts through tests and since evolution claims to be true science today is seen as the most helpful form to see if it really is correct and as such scientifically provable. In the absence of a rational understanding between those who believe in religion and those who don't, science today is used most to demonstrate proof [and not logic].

I would like to ask you however, what have you observed personally about evolution that makes you say it is true and factual for all to see. I realise you did not say these words, but I am interested in the concept of 'evolution', meaning it 'evolves', it is not static by definition so where is it observable. Under Microevolution what can you say you [or anyone else] have seen that is still evolving and where is the proof of it. Evolution does not stop, it continues so in this sense where is it happening [location], what is it happening to [species] and how [processes]. To say it is happening everywhere and to all is not enough, otherwise it is based on faith and as you know faith and atheism do not mix. You have made a claim, so the onus is on you to prove it. Finally, if evolution is correct then what are we the human race evolving into. You cannot say we are not or you don't know as that shows limitations in the theory. Evolutionists have been observing both the human race and other species since Darwin's Day so they will have noticed something by now (if there was something at all). If not than what do you think evolutionists are likely to find for any species. Lastly, have we evolved fully. If so then evolution must be revised as the very definition at present is understood to mean it cannot and won't stop, so the human race itself is going to keep on tuning into something else and so forth and the same is true for every other species as well.

What is your belief about evolution? Not as in if it is true or not but what each species will become and what we are slowly turning into or not. Please give reasons and proof to support your arguments.

I added about this issue that this (observation) is what science uses as a measurement for scientific truth and in this case evolution is not scientific. You can argue evolution is philosophically true if you wish based on feelings and sentiment, but you can't use science to support it. How so?

Observation is something that can be seen and for it to be accurate, it must be

P-Thulhu

Again, lots of stuff in your post.

So... where to begin.

Like yourself, I am not highly trained nor educated as I mentioned.

I hope you don't mind myself cutting and pasting you comments into this answer? The better to address all the myriad points raised/put forward.

"Secularism is far from new. What is different is that you couldn't be as open about it as now and the dominant or fashionable trend is to be atheist and to believe in evolution. Previously, you had to include religion in your philosophy to be taken seriously or not to be accused of heresy. Rene Descarte for example was an atheist a few centuries ago but he added references to 'God' to make people read his works."

Okay... I'll leave this alone since it'll diverge/digress from the topic of evolution. It kind of needs its own thread for said topic to be discussed more.

"....... I am not a scientist and science is not my field, so my apologies for lack of knowledge in this subject area, but in my limited understanding here in relation to observation of evolution, everything is a theory until or unless it is tested."

*Nods* Nor I. However, from what I understand of things the process works like this.
Initially some one has a thought or they see/notice something and they from an idea about such.
Then they work out an hypothesis that attempts to explain such
After much testing and peer review if said hypothesis does make proper/useful predictions/explanations about said event?
Then it is accepted as the best, current theory.

A theory is as good as it gets, really. Also, a theory is always open to new testing and new scrutiny etc. A theory is always open to being changed or thrown out for a 'Better' theory.

"A test shows the accuracy or fallacy of a given theory."

Many tests, observations and peer review (Other people independent testing experimenting etc) as well as the actual predictive power of said theory. A theory not only explains what has happened, it can be used to predict what (Under the said theory's concept) may/should happen. Hence, we have a theory of gravity which we can not only test about things falling down... we can conduct experiments to determine how things will fall down in the future (I simplify and paraphrase here) leading to things such as ballistic trajectories and orbital mechanics. If, at any time, said theory is shown to have something that doesn't fit? Then the theory is revised, changed or even scrapped. (As in we find an extreme example of something not falling down... or we find a planet that isn't in the place where orbital mechanics predicts it should be)

"Darwin himself until his dying day called evolution a theory and he never said he observed evolution."

Yes, because calling it such is the correct word use. Also, given the knowledge of the time, he had seen evolution. Both the wild-life of the Galapagos Islands as well as the tiny shelled mollusks (Perry-winkles) of his own English shores were used to demonstrate such. Darwin spent many years working on and formulating the ideas within his thesis (Which became a book).

"His own theories were never tested and he never created any hypotheses either."

I beg to differ, Both at the time in the past as well as continuously up until the present day has/have, as well as across a huge amount of different fields of science, said ideas about evolution continued to be tested. Indeed, it is the new ideas for devising tests to disprove the idea that is driving our knowledge and discoveries forwards even as we exchange our ideas.

"I do not say evolution should be set back to hypothesis, science uses it to make theories into facts through tests and since evolution claims to be true science today is seen as the most helpful form to see if it really is correct and as such scientifically provable."

Again, our use of the words and hence their meanings are different. You seem to be saying that evolution should not be called a theory.. so the next step back is to call it an hypothesis.
Science actually kind of uses facts to test/establish theories.
The theory of evolution continues to be tested and shown that it is currently the very best theory about what it is/does.

"In the absence of a rational understanding between those who believe in religion and those who don't, science today is used most to demonstrate proof [and not logic]."

I will honestly admit I am not sure how best to even approach this comment. My mind wants to throw forwards so many things... Perhaps it too is best left to another thread?

"I would like to ask you however, what have you observed personally about evolution that makes you say it is true and factual for all to see."

Ah! Why yes, indeed I have personally such observations. I have been born with two mutations. (One affecting eyesight, the other affecting hearing) So, there has been a slight mutation/variation within the coding of the genes passed onto myself from my parents. Should the lottery of such a shuffle have turned out differently? Who knows, perhaps I might have been born with the ability to see more colurs or something else. I am hazarding a guess as to say that you, yourself, are not a carbon copy of either one of your parents but a unique gene shuffle/combination of both. It is partly by this gene shuffle that things change over time. I emphasis the point 'Partly', other things effect such in the theory of evolution. It is not the individual what evolves but the species as a whole over time. :)

"I realize you did not say these words, but I am interested in the concept of 'evolution', meaning it 'evolves', it is not static by definition so where is it observable. Under Microevolution what can you say you [or anyone else] have seen that is still evolving and where is the proof of it. Evolution does not stop, it continues so in this sense where is it happening [location], what is it happening to [species] and how [processes]. To say it is happening everywhere and to all is not enough, otherwise it is based on faith and as you know faith and atheism do not mix."

While there is a lot happening in the above section, I believe I can answer it all 'At once'. So, I have already shown.. (Kind of) about the change between parents and offspring... really that is ALL evolution is. That change over an immense amount of time. Now, if there are no other factors acting upon things then... you'll get random changes 'shifting things about'. Often... the changes won't actually add up to make a difference within the species as a whole and so...at the species level nothing actually will change even though gene shuffling continues to happen.

I feel you have become hooked on the term/word 'Micro-evolution'. I state again that there is only evolution and that 'Micro' and 'Macro' are being used to highlight the speed of changes within species or specie-ation. So, you are correct to say that evolution does not stop.. but there are more things within the theory than just the gene shuffling. Every offspring is a different and unique variation from the parent. Over an immense period of time said changes between parent and offspring can lead to two separate offspring being so different from each other that first new species develop and thence over even more immense amount of time whole new genus etc may/might develop.

"You have made a claim, so the onus is on you to prove it. Finally, if evolution is correct then what are we the human race evolving into. You cannot say we are not or you don't know as that shows limitations in the theory"

No.. I am not making any claims. You are making the claim that evolution is wrong, hence you are putting forwards your ideas as to why it is wrong. I do not think that evolution is wrong and hence do not have to put forwards ideas as to why it is wrong. The current default position is that evolution is currently the best theory we have. That you then ask about "What are people turning into'? Shows a lack of understanding about the theory. The theory predicts change over time.. Should something happen and being born randomly with two thumbs... or the ability to see with four photo-receptors offers amount of an advantage then, selectively over time, said amount of such people will predominate within the make up of humanity. Over even more time and more selective pressures? Who knows what else may or may not be selected fro (Or against). You have omitted another aspect of the theory. it is the 'elective pressures' that affect/effect the changes.

"Evolutionists have been observing both the human race and other species since Darwin's Day so they will have noticed something by now (if there was something at all)."

Indeed, a mere hundred and fifty years. When people go into the labs and watch creatures who's gene expression/life cycle is measured in weeks or months instead of decades they see said changes happening. Have documented such. Have shown such work to their peers and the wider public. Now, for such to progress to the level of change over time that you are insisting upon...? Will require the similar same amount of time that has already happened over the previous course of the planet. Specialization has been seen in the wild, in many forms and variations. It has been observed happening within the lab and experiments. For more than that? There will needs to have been more time. Only one hundred and fifty years is, in truth, no time at all. :p

"If not than what do you think evolutionists are likely to find for any species. Lastly, have we evolved fully. If so then evolution must be revised as the very definition at present is understood to mean it cannot and won't stop, so the human race itself is going to keep on tuning into something else and so forth and the same is true for every other species as well."

As I pointed out, new species have arisen within experiments (Both along predicted selective pressures as well ass showing novel, unexpected changes) The theory is constantly being changed to adjust to new knowledge. Is it not interesting that with the discovery of DNA the theory's basic tenants were so correct that the discovery of a completely new amount/field of knowledge did not effect it? As for your comment about 'Humans being finished' ? The obvious examples of constant mutation and variation within our forms would seem to negate that.

We now have many hues of hair colour. Many hues of eye colour. Those who can continue to drink milk into their adult years and those who cannot. You are correct. evolution, as you are suing the term here, is not stopping. It is not halting. Every new offspring is a subtle variation of the mixing of their parent's genes. As for 'Turning into'? That relies upon outside, selective pressures which I have covered before.

What is your belief about evolution? Not as in if it is true or not but what each species will become and what we are slowly turning into or not. Please give reasons and proof to support your arguments.

As for what species will become I have not the training for that. I can point to examples in the wild of species variation a well as experiments within research that have created new species. Within the wild? We have 'Ring species' a Google search will give you more Within the lab? We have new species of bacteria so different from their progenitors that they can consume and live off the artificial plastics that humans have invented. I would need more time to find this more specific information, but a Google search for yourself might be quicker.

"I added about this issue that this (observation) is what science uses as a measurement for scientific truth and in this case evolution is not scientific. You can argue evolution is philosophically true if you wish based on feelings and sentiment, but you can't use science to support it. How so?"

I believe my examples will hopefully be the source of more discussion as well as showing/pointing out that you opinions aren't holding much sway.

That variation between parent and offspring is observable. That, given enough time, such radical changes have created enough genetic shift that offspring can change beyond matching their parents I have offered.

For you to say that such changes over enough time will not lead to new genus? That is for you to demonstrate/give a reason as to why such small, incremental, infinitesimal changes can not give rise to new species/genus/etc.

"Observation is something that can be seen and for it to be accurate, it must be."

Again, I do not disagree with your comment and again put forward my examples. I also offer up the evidence that is the discovery of DNA which, should evolution have been the wrong theory? Then said discovery would have created a new and 'better' theory. That Watson's and Crick's discovery did not abolish said theory is better proof than anything I can think of.

As another example, though in a different field, Einstein's work re-wrote our understanding of the very big and very small far beyond Newton's works. Einstein's theories allowed for a more complete understanding of what is happening within the physics of things around us. Note, however, that there are still places where Newton's theories can still be useful? Einstein's theories added to Newton's theories... They explain all the things that Newton's does PLUS more/the things that Newton's do not or can not.

I think, perhaps, we should step back and actually nut out/explain what it is the theory of evolution is?

Much cheers to you and I look forwards to out future discourse.

Abu Juwairiya

Apologies for the late reply.

Firstly, I am not offended by you cutting and pasting blocks of quotations for you to reply. Second, I used the terms micro and macro evolution because they are accepted words, if they are mistranslated that has yet to be written into the dictionary. However since you find them distasteful I will refrain from applying them in future. Third, thank you for your take on what a theory is, it is always helpful to learn more about a field where ones own knowledge is limited.

Fourth, in respect to Darwin, I am not aware he witnessed evolution as such. He saw different animals and species in his one and only voyage on the Beagle, but to say he witnessed their evolution I am not entirely convinced. I would have to see proof of it to come to your conclusion.

Fifth I made the point Darwin never tested his theories, not that others haven't done so. He never made a second trip after his first and only voyage. He never visited those places again and remember when he did write his book it was in 1859, twenty-three years after his expedition on the Beagle. Even if he conducted experiments after 1836 it was not on the animals and different species he encountered during his trip.

Now it is my turn to cut and paste.

'The theory of evolution continues to be tested and shown that it is currently the very best theory about what it is/does.'

I beg to differ here. This is your opinion, not a fact.

No.. I am not making any claims. You are making the claim that evolution is wrong, hence you are putting forwards your ideas as to why it is wrong. I do not think that evolution is wrong and hence do not have to put forwards ideas as to why it is wrong. The current default position is that evolution is currently the best theory we have. That you then ask about "What are people turning into'? Shows a lack of understanding about the theory. The theory predicts change over time.. Should something happen and being born randomly with two thumbs... or the ability to see with four photo-receptors offers amount of an advantage then, selectively over time, said amount of such people will predominate within the make up of humanity. Over even more time and more selective pressures? Who knows what else may or may not be selected fro (Or against). You have omitted another aspect of the theory. it is the 'elective pressures' that affect/effect the changes.

Since you said you are an agnostic, this means you reject a belief in a Creator, hence why I made the claim that you are an evolutionist, perhaps it is wrong, but in general in my experience the only alternative left or given by those who reject God is evolution, so that is why I suspected you also believed in it and it seems I was right.

True, I do not have that much of an idea about evolution as you do, since as a Muslim we accept the Creator's assertion it is false and meaningless, hence not worth learning.

Indeed, a mere hundred and fifty years. When people go into the labs and watch creatures who's gene expression/life cycle is measured in weeks or months instead of decades they see said changes happening. Have documented such. Have shown such work to their peers and the wider public. Now, for such to progress to the level of change over time that you are insisting upon...? Will require the similar same amount of time that has already happened over the previous course of the planet. Specialization has been seen in the wild, in many forms and variations. It has been observed happening within the lab and experiments. For more than that? There will needs to have been more time. Only one hundred and fifty years is, in truth, no time at all. :p

What I was referring to was not minute changes in variation but over and across one species to another completely different species over long periods. You say this is a lack of understanding, perhaps so, but at the same time I did not make the claim that all human beings are from the same source of species and that they evolved from other things first. Therefore the onus is on yourselves to prove it, so far you have not done so. Showing small changes over shorter periods is not sufficient.

As I pointed out, new species have arisen within experiments (Both along predicted selective pressures as well ass showing novel, unexpected changes) The theory is constantly being changed to adjust to new knowledge. Is it not interesting that with the discovery of DNA the theory's basic tenants were so correct that the discovery of a completely new amount/field of knowledge did not effect it? As for your comment about 'Humans being finished' ? The obvious examples of constant mutation and variation within our forms would seem to negate that.
We now have many hues of hair colour. Many hues of eye colour. Those who can continue to drink milk into their adult years and those who cannot. You are correct. evolution, as you are suing the term here, is not stopping. It is not halting. Every new offspring is a subtle variation of the mixing of their parent's genes. As for 'Turning into'? That relies upon outside, selective pressures which I have covered before.

When you say that new species have arisen out of experiments, is that also true of nature as well or is it restricted to the lab itself. Its interesting to see you agree the theory is not constant, it keeps changing to suit the times. In part you are also agreeing many of the old theories of evolution have been proved to be incorrect hence they have had to be abandoned or 'revised'.

I stand by what I said, 'what are we turning into.' I am not referring to hair colour, gene mutation, etc but into what species outside the human race since as evolutionists claim we were many things before we became human, so hence it is not a far fetched question to ask what are going to become next. You can say you don't know, but the truth is you can't say we won't be becoming something else if that is what has happened before we became human in the first place. I accept your answer for the time being that you have no training for that, but the second part of your response in regard to bacteria is not what I was referring to, especially if they were bacteria to begin with and not lets say sharks. Those who believe in God have already said they accept evolution within a species so bacteria adapting to changes in condition and taking on other characteristics, behaviours or other forms but remained bacteria is perfectly within our argument.

I believe my examples will hopefully be the source of more discussion as well as showing/pointing out that you opinions aren't holding much sway.
That variation between parent and offspring is observable. That, given enough time, such radical changes have created enough genetic shift that offspring can change beyond matching their parents I have offered.
For you to say that such changes over enough time will not lead to new genus? That is for you to demonstrate/give a reason as to why such small, incremental, infinitesimal changes can not give rise to new species/genus/etc.

On your first point, that is a matter of opinion- yours. Just because you disagree, it does not mean I am wrong. On your second point, while parent-child variation is observable, you are not answering the question I asked and I accept you don't know. I asked about changes from one species to another and not from or within a species (which includes the human race and as such human parents of human children). Perhaps I should have made clear I was referring to, just to give an example, monkeys turning into human beings. Has that been observed or things like this?

On a parting note, I will add this discussion is not going anywhere, both of us have fixed views which we hold dear to us, mine are on a religion platform, yours are outside of religion, and there is little benefit in continuing, hence I am ending it here. Thank you for your input and the opportunity to hold discourse with you. If I said anything to hurt you during the discussion please accept my apologies, it was not my intention to do so.

I wish to conclude by saying you are free to contribute to other threads and I will (God willing) respond. It is just that from my knowledge and experience, where there is no great convergence and meaningful and fruitful discussion after two or three posts, there is a likelihood there won't be one at all, and there is always a danger of 'non physical boxing' as well (i.e. verbal abuse, direct or indirect offence caused and great hurt inflicted through misunderstandings and misinterpretation of one or both parties involved). I wish to avoid that between ourselves. I don't believe we have reached that stage, but I would rather not test the waters either.

Peace Be With You.