Islamic Misconception Clarified : Terrorism Is NOT Allowed

MohammedQ

Salam Alakium, this is a written form of session one of the course and program entitled Islamic Misconception Clarfied presented at Madinah Institute. This course will be open and free and all those who want to join and online presented via prerecorded videos. I spent years debating online with bigots of all religions and with Allah help I have learned through experience how to leave them dumbstruck, and hamduallah have a habit of making a very effective and powerful argument which usually results in the otherside being left dumbstruck which means they lost the disscussion or debate. Feel free to use all material as your own, post anywhere you like, make videos if you like and you don't have to give credit to me I don't care. Youtube comments is a hot bed for hate and so is youtube so use these points to shut up the bigots.

Course: Islamic Misconception Clarified
Misconception: Islam Allows Terrorism And Promotes it.
In The Name Of Allah, The Most Merciful, The Especially Merciful
Today we will be discussing a common modern day Islamic Misconception, one of the most common modern day Islamic misconception and that is, that Islam allows terrorism and promotes it.
In this article, I will not only prove this is false with evidences from the Quraan and Sunnah, but I will also show the evidences the accusers use as evidence for this claim.
Unlike most other defenders of Islam, I won't simply state islam doesn't allow it and leave it at that but, I will also bring about the evidences that islam doesn't infact allow terrorism and doesn't promote it. And I will show the evidences the accusers use to make such claims.

What follows is the evidences the accusers use to make their claim which are many verses from the Quraan and some of them are as follows:

"And kill them wherever you find them and expel them from where they have expelled you, and their trials is worse then killing"
(verse 2:191 Quraan)

"And fight against them until there is no more fitnah and until the religion is for Allah alone"
(verse 8:39 Quraan)

"It is not for a prophet to have captives of war until he inflicts a massacre in the land. You (muslims) desire the commodities of this world, but Allah desires for you the hereafter"
(verse 8:67 Quraan)

"And when the inviolable months have passed, then kill the polytheists wherever you find them and capture them and besiege them at every place of ambush. But if they should repent, establish prayer, and give zakat let them go on their way. Indeed Allah is forgiving and merciful."
(verse 9:5 Quraan)

"Fight them; Allah will punish them by your hands and will disgrace them and give you victory over them and satisfy the breasts of a believing people."
(verse 9:13 Quraan)

And other verses like these.

Now, as we can see there are many verses in the Quraan that speaks about apparent killings and war and jihad, but can we really understand those verses without reading the entire chapter or section regarding that topic and without knowing the context the verses were sent and why?

The simple answer is no. We all remember in English class our teacher always told us, you must read the entire chapter to know the meaning of the verse or the paragraph and non of us deny this; then why would that rule be any different when reading the text from the Quraan?

As well, as knowing the context the verses were sent and why they were sent, makes it clear what exactly is being said and what exactly is intended. And further understand the commands based on how the prophet understood and acted upon them.

And I can prove this methodology that the accusers of islam use towards the Quraan, is not a practical or logical methodology. And I will use the bible as a example.

What follows are verses from the BIBLE that speaks about fighting and killing of innocents: The verse are as follows:

"Suppose you hear in one of the towns the lord your god has given you, that some worthless ramble among you have lead their fellow citizens astray by encouraging them to WORSHIP FOREIGN GODS, in such cases you must examine the facts carefully, if you find it's true and can prove that such a detestable act has occurred among you, YOU MUST ATTACK THAT TOWN AND COMPLETELY DESTROY ALL OF IT'S INHABITANTS AS WELL AS ALL THE LIVESTOCK, THEN YOU MUST PILE ALL THE PLUNDER IN THE MIDDLE OF STREET AND BURN IT, PUT THE ENRITE TOWN TO THE TORCH AS A BURNT OFFERING TO THE LORD YOUR GOD"
(Deuteronomy 13:13-19)

"If your own full brother, or your son, or daughter or your beloved wife or your intimate friend, entices you secretly to serve other gods whom you and your fathers have not known, gods of any other nations, near at hand, or far away, from one end of the earth to the other, do not yield to them or listen to him nor look with piety upon him, to spare or shield him but KILL HIM"
(Deuteronomy 13:7-12) bible

"The lord then gave these further instructions to Moses: 'Tell the people of Israel to keep my sabbath day, for the sabbath is a sign of the convent between me and you forever, it helps you to remember that I am the Lord who makes you holy, yes keep the sabbath day for it is holy, anyone who desecrates it MUST DIE.'
(Exodus 31:12-15)

And Jesus own words according to the BIBLE are: "Do not suppose I have came to bring peace to the earth, I HAVE NOT COME TO BRING PEACE BUT THE SWORD"
(Matthew 10:34)

Some Christians or all will be quick to say well all those are in the old testement and therefore are canceled out by th new law the new testement the reply is: Jesus said in the NEW TESTEMENT : " I HAVE NOT COME TO CANCEL THE LAW I HAVE COMW TO FUFILL IT.

Now, if we use the exact same mythology the accusers of islam use on the Quraan by simply reading some verses all on their own without reading the entire chapter before and after the verses in question or without knowing the reason the verses were sent which is known as CHERRY PICKING VERSES then we can also conclude, as well that the bible promotes terrorism among many other things.

But using that methodology goes against the basic rules of first grade English that our teachers have always stressed. And that is, in order to know the meaning of any sentence, chapter, and verse you must read before and after it as well as know the reason the verses were sent. And that should be perfectly clear now. Otherwise if we take verses all on their own we will conclude as well that the bible and Torah promotes terrorism among many other things. Such as rape, killing wive who have sex with a animal, women abuse, killing wive if she touches another man privates, killing babies, killing one who sleeps with a animal in the same bed, as well as many other things.

Any logical Christian scholar who knows first grade basic English, will tell you, you must read verses before and after to get the full meaning of the verses or know why the verses were sent and this is the same case with regard to the fighting verses in the Quraan. Why would it be any different? Why would that apply to the bible and not the Quraan? Just like Christians would scream OUT OF CONTEXT! We also say the same thing to the verses of the Quraan in question.

Now, let us go back to the fighting verses in the Quraan, we said to know the meaning we must read the verses before and after them or know the reason they were sent so let do that.
Let's read before the verse ( 2:191 the first verse the Quraan that is in question) to see if it clarifies what is being said:

"FIGHT IN THE WAY OF ALLAH THOSE WHO FIGHT AGAINST YOU BUT DO NOT TRANSGRESS. Indeed Allah does not like transgressors. (2:190 Quraan)

THEN THE VERY NEXT VERSE IS THE ONE THE BIGOTS USE TO MAKE THE CLAIM.
And kill them wherever you over take them and expel them from where they have expelled you, and their trials is worse then killing. (2:191 Quraan)

So, just by reading one single verse before the one of the verses in question, we now know that, Allah is telling Muslims, to fight only those who fight against you as it says in one verse before the verse in question. And when Allah says and kill them wereever you find them, he is referring only to THOSE WHO FIGHT WHO, as it says in the verse before. As is totally clear now.

We can now see clearly that the the verse is talking about self-defense and defending your rights NOT killing innocents.

Let's see another one of the verses in question: ( 8:39 Quraan), let us read the verse before the verse in question.

"Say to those who have disbelieved that if they cease WHAT HAS PREVIOUSLY OCCURRED will be forgiven for them. But if they RETURN (TO HOSTILITY) then the precedent of the former peoples has already taken place." (8:38 Quraan)

NEXT VERSE IS THE ONE IN QUESTION AGAIN

"And fight against them until there is no trials from them and until the religion, all of it is for Allah. And if they cease then indeed, Allah is seeing of what they do."
( 8:39 Quraan)

Again, we read in the verse just one single verse before the verse in question is that the non Muslims have done something to the Muslims in form of hostility in the past when these verses were sent, based on the past-tense words used: WHAT HAS PERVIOUSLY OCCURRED and Allah says if they stop, then he will forgive, but if they don't then fight them, again promoting self defense. Defense against hostility as it clearly says I the verse. "IF THEY RETURN TO HOSTILITY."

Now looking at verse: 8:67 of the Quraan we find reading before of after the verse doesn't make the verse in question any more clear, therefore as we said we must then refer to the reason it was sent.

Based on a authentic narration that verse was sent after the first battle against the idol worshippers was won by the Muslims when the odds was against them 300 to 1000, and the prophet pbuh had some prisoners of war.

So the prophet asked his best friends what should he do with the war prisoners? Since this battle was a attack on the Muslims . Some of them said free them and others said kill them. Then the prophet phuh was leaning towards freeing them until Allah sent the verse in question:
"It is not for a prophet to have captives of war until he inflicts a massacre on the enemies... 8:67 Quraan.

This is because when people are attacking you, you can't be easy with them straight away otherwise they will dare to fight and attack again and again, they will say: well, next time even if they capture some of our men they will return them to us unharmed, so no issues. Which will lead them to dare to attack again.
The Hadith that speaks about the reason this verse was revealed can be found on this link:
http://quranx.com/tafsir/Wahidi/8.67

Let us look at the verse before the next verse in question:

"Would you not fight against A PEOPLE WHO BROKE THIER TREATY and determined to expel the messenger, and THEY HAD BEGUN THE ATTACK UPON YOU THE FIRST TIME, Do you fear them? But Allah has more right that you should fear him, if you are truly believers. (9:13 Quraan)
THE NEXT VERSE IS ANOTHER OF VERSES IN QUESTION.

"Fight them, Allah will punish them by your hands and will disgrace them and give you victory over them and satisfy the breast of a believing people". 9:14 Quraan)

Again we can see by reading the verse before the verse in question, that the Muslims had a agreement with the non Muslims as it say TREATY and the non Muslims broke it which is clear from the verse before the verse in question by the verse saying:" would you not fight a people who BROKE THEIR TREATY, showing us that the verse in question is again telling Muslims to fight people who attacked them first even after the non Muslims had agreed to a treaty, they still broke it.

So, we can see clearly that the Quraan doesn't in fact promote terrorism or killing of innocents but promotes self-defense only. And we made that clear by reading before the verses in question or the reason the verses were sent in order to know the full meaning of the verses in question.

And as we said not doing so, will not give us the full meaning and we proved this by taking some killing verses from the bible and killing statements of Jesus according to the bible and said if we use the same methodology that accusers of islam use towards the Quraan then we will also conclude the bible and Torah as well promote terrorism. But we explained you must read before the verses in question and know the reason they were sent in order to know the full meaning.

In addition to all of this, there was huge Jewish tribes in Madinah where the prophet pbuh lived and he didn't go around killing them simply because they were non Muslims.

In addition, the prophet pbuh married a Jewish lady who converted to islam and she loved him very much to the point upon seeing him on his deathbed she said" O messenger of Allah, I wish what you suffer was in me rather then in you." If islam teaches us to kill all non Muslims then why didn't the prophet pbuh kill her along with all of Arabia who at the time was mainly non Muslims?

Additional prove of all of the above is the very first known constitution written in history of mankind on command of the prophet Mohammed pbuh, that states that Muslims and non Muslims will live together as citizens of a state with equal rights, each of their rights protected, each abiding by the laws of their own religions and legal social religious laws will be applied based on each's own religious scriptures. Both not harming one another and both have the right to live in peace as long as they wants to be part of this pact and both not harming the state:
http://www.constitutionofmadina.com/

In addition to all of this still, we can find many verses in the Quraan that speak about mercy and kind treatment towards others and the statements of the prophet pbuh himself testifies to this as well as well as these verses from the Quraan.

The following verses are:

"There is NO COMPULSION in religion" (2:256 Quraan)

"Allah DOES NOT FORBID you from being kind to those who do not fight you because of your religion and do not expel you from your homes..." Indeed Allah loves those who act justly" (60:8 Quraan)

"Allah ONLY FORBIDS you from THOSE WHO FIGHT you because of religion and expel you from your homes and aid in your expulsion, forbids that you make allies with them"...(60:9 Quraan)

"And there is not upon the messenger EXECPT TO GIVE the MESSAGE" (24:54 Quraan)

"But if they turn away ( O Mohammed) then ONLY UPON YOU is to give THE CLEAR MESSAGE" (16:82 Quraan)

" And obey Allah and obey the messenger, but if you turn away, then upon our messenger IS ONLY TO DELIVER THE MESSAGE" ( 64:12 Quraan)

And as if all of this still is not enough the prophet Mohammed pbuh said regarding treating non Muslims bad or killing them:

"WHOEVER HURTS A NON MUSLIM in a Muslim state, HURTS ME and whoever hurts me makes god angry" (Bukhari)

"He who HURTS A NON MUSLIM in a Muslim state, I AM HIS ADVISORY AND SHALL BE HIS ADVISORY ON THE DAY OF JUDGMENT" ( Bukhari)

"WHOEVER IS CRUAL AND HARSH AGAINST NON MUSLIM MINORITIES OR CURTAILS THIER RIGHTS, OR BURDENS THEM MORE THEN THEY CAN BEAR OR TAKES ANYTHING FROM THEM AGAINST THIER FREEWILL . I prophet Mohammed will complain about them on the day of judgment". (Abu Dawood)

"Whoever KILLS A PERSON WHO HAS TRUCE with the Muslims with not even smell the smell of paradise." ( Saheeh Muslim)

So, now you can see as we have proven in great detail that islam doesn't allow terrorism or promote it and we have proved this by proving if you take verses by them-self without reading the entire verse or at least before and after, which goes against first grade basic English, you will not know what is really being said and we read before the verses in question or learned the reason they were sent and it is now clear that all war and killing verses in the Quraan are talking about self defense as we have proven in detail above by reading before the verses in question or by knowing the reason they were sent and then we saw they were all talking about self defense.
And we said prophet Mohammed phuh never killed anyone solely based on their faith and that is a yet further prove the killing verses in the Quraan do not mean to kill solely based on people's faith.
And we said prophet married a Jewish lady and she loved him and we said most of Arabia was non Muslim and he did not harm them when he had full power over Arabia.
And we showed many verses from the Quraan that tells us that there is no compulsion in Islam and the Muslims job is only to deliver the message and defend himself not force anyone to believe or kill unjustly solely because others don't believe.
And we concluded with the various statements of the prophet pbuh who preached tolerance and justice for non Muslims who do not harm us.
So it is perfectly clear now that islam doesn't allow terrorism or promote it. And I have proven it with clear undebatable proves.
Now you are likely thinking if this is all true why then is there Islamic terror groups then? We will discuss this in our next article.
I conclude with May the peace and blessing be on the best man to walk the face of the earth, the Prophet Mohammed and all those who follow him until the last day.
Lecture of Islamic misconceptions Clarified by Slave of Allah Mohammed.

Last edited:

saif

Assalamu alaikum

The original poster is assuming, as if the real problem was, that the non muslims were accusing Islam for being responsible for all the terror happening by the hands of the muslims. The strategy which the poster has adopted is to show that the non muslims are quoting verses of Quran out of context and thereby misinterpreting them, whereas there are enough verses in bible, which would be misunderstood, if taken out of context.

In my opinion, the basic assumptions of the poster are wrong. Therefore, he has taken a wrong line of argumentation to clear the face of Islam. The situation on ground is, that it is muslims, who are taking verses of Quran out of context and thereby creating mischief on earth. By looking at those muslims, the non-muslims do have some right to make some (wrong) assumptions about the teachings of Islam. We may argue, don't judge the religion by the deeds of its followers but then we all know it is expecting from them to be ideal although we ourselves are far far from being ideal muslims.

Have you ever tried to understand, why so many people go to Daesh, who call themselves or consider themselves salafis? Have you ever tried to understand, why (excepting the two deviant sects sufis and shias) almost all muslims are vulnerable to the narrative given by the terrorists. Why is it, that so many maghrebiners are attracted towards terrorism, even though they are mostly malikis? Why is it, that Taliban are attracted towards terrorism, even though they have roots in Sufism and they are hanafis?

Do you remember, some members in this very forum were trying to justify the burning of the jordanian pilot? One brother promised me to write a private message for his arguments, which he never did. However, I am sure he had this very verse in mind, which you have also copied:

"It is not for a prophet to have captives of war until he inflicts a massacre in the land. You (muslims) desire the commodities of this world, but Allah desires for you the hereafter"

And since, you have mentioned Medina University, I am quite sure, your interpretation of this verse is the same as those of the terrorists. You have translated it in the same way, the terrorists would do it. They think, until they have clear signs of victory and the end of "fitna"(fitna in their eyes), they have every right to "inflict a massacre". So they see themselves as justified, when they kill their captives or kill them right away, even though they have overpowered them.

This is just one example. We can take one verse after the other and I am very sad to tell you, that even though you are trying hard to differentiate yourself, your interpretation is the same or very similar to that of the terrorists.

Right now, I am going to start a journey, where I will have no time to check upon turntoislam. Therefore, I will try to concentrate upon the correct interpretation of verse 8:67 in my next post. The rest I will do after coming back, InshaAllah.

Wassalamu alaikum.

Last edited:

saif

Assalamu alaikum,

Let me first of all copy here Tafseer Ibn Kathir, which I assume the original poster follows. The suggested translation by Sahih international of the verse 8:67 is also inline with this Tafseer, which is in fact based upon ahadith. That means, Ahadith are taken to interpret Quran, instead of taking Quran to interpret Ahadith.

So here is what Imam Ibn Kathir has to say about this and the following two verses:

upload_2015-12-14_11-44-17.png

(67. It is not (fitting) for a Prophet that he should have prisoners of war until he has fought (his enemies thoroughly) in the land. You desire the goods of this world, but Allah desires (for you) the Hereafter. And Allah is All-Mighty, All-Wise.) (68. Were it not a previous ordainment from Allah, a severe torment would have touched you for what you took.) (69. So enjoy what you have gotten of booty in war, lawful and good, and have Taqwa of Allah. Certainly, Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.)
Imam Ahmad recorded that Anas said, "The Prophet asked the people for their opinion about the prisoners of war of Badr, saying,
«إِنَّ اللهَ قَدْ أَمْكَنَكُمْ مِنْهُم»
(Allah has made you prevail above them.) `Umar bin Al-Khattab stood up and said, `O Allah's Messenger! Cut off their necks,' but the Prophet turned away from him. The Messenger of Allah again asked,
«يَاأَيُّهَا النَّاسُ إِنَّ اللهَ قَدْ أَمْكَنَكُمْ مِنْهُمْ وَإِنَّمَا هُمْ إِخْوَانُكُمْ بِالْأَمْس»
(O people! Allah has made you prevail over them, and only yesterday, they were your brothers.) `Umar again stood up and said, `O Allah's Messenger! Cut off their necks.' The Prophet ignored him and asked the same question again and he repeated the same answer. Abu Bakr As-Siddiq stood up and said, `O Allah's Messenger! I think you should pardon them and set them free in return for ransom.' Thereupon the grief on the face of Allah's Messenger vanished. He pardoned them and accepted ransom for their release. Allah, the Exalted and Most Honored, revealed this verse,
﴿لَّوْلاَ كِتَـبٌ مِّنَ اللَّهِ سَبَقَ لَمَسَّكُمْ فِيمَآ أَخَذْتُمْ عَذَابٌ عَظِيمٌ ﴾
(Were it not a previous ordainment from Allah, a severe torment would have touched you for what you took).''
`Ali bin Abi Talhah narrated that Ibn `Abbas said about Allah's statement,
﴿لَّوْلاَ كِتَـبٌ مِّنَ اللَّهِ سَبَقَ﴾
(Were it not a previous ordainment from Allah...),
"In the Preserved Book, that war spoils and prisoners of war will be made allowed for you,
﴿لَمَسَّكُمْ فِيمَآ أَخَذْتُمْ﴾
(would have touched you for what you took), because of the captives.
﴿عَذَابٌ عظِيمٌ﴾
(a severe torment.) Allah, the Exalted said next,
﴿فَكُلُواْ مِمَّا غَنِمْتُمْ حَلَـلاً طَيِّباً﴾
(So enjoy what you have gotten of booty in war, lawful and good).'' eAl-`Awfi also reported this statement from Ibn `Abbas. A similar statement was collected from Abu Hurayrah, Ibn Mas`ud, Sa`id bin Jubayr, `Ata', Al-Hasan Al-Basri, Qatadah and Al-A`mash. They all stated that,
﴿لَّوْلاَ كِتَـبٌ مِّنَ اللَّهِ سَبَقَ﴾
(Were it not a previous ordainment from Allah. .) refers to allowing the spoils of war for this Ummah.
Supporting this view is what the Two Sahihs recorded that Jabir bin `Abdullah said that the Messenger of Allah said,
«أُعْطِيتُ خَمْسًا لَمْ يُعْطَهُنَّ أَحَدٌ مِنَ الْأَنْبِيَاءِ قَبْلِي: نُصِرْتُ بِالرُّعْبِ مَسِيرَةَ شَهْرٍ، وَجُعِلَتْ لِيَ الْأَرْضُ مَسْجِدًا وَطَهُورًا، وَأُحِلَّتْ لِيَ الْغَنَائِمُ وَلَمْ تُحَلَّ لِأَحَدٍ قَبْلِي، وَأُعْطِيتُ الشَّفَاعَةَ، وَكَان النَّبِيُّ يُبْعَثُ إِلَى قَوْمِهِ، وَبُعِثْتُ إِلَى النَّاسِ عَامَّة»
(I have been given five things which were not given to any Prophet before me. (They are:) Allah made me victorious by awe, (by His frightening my enemies) for a distance of one month's journey. The earth has been made a place for praying and a purifyer for me. The booty has been made lawful for me, yet it = was not lawful for anyone else before me. I have been given the right of intercession (on the Day of Resurrection). Every Prophet used to be sent to his people only, but I have been sent to all mankind.)
Al-A`mash narrated that Abu Salih said that Abu Hurayrah said that the Messenger of Allah said,
«لَمْ تَحِلَّ الْغَنَائِمُ لِسُودِ الرُّؤُوسِ غَيْرَنَا»
(War booty was never allowed for any among mankind except us.) ﴿Abu Hurayrah said;﴾ This is why Allah the Most High said,
﴿فَكُلُواْ مِمَّا غَنِمْتُمْ حَلَـلاً طَيِّباً﴾
(So enjoy what you have gotten of booty in war, lawful and good.)
The Muslims then took the ransom for their captives. In his Sunan, Imam Abu Dawud recorded that Ibn `Abbas said that the Messenger of Allah fixed four hundred (Dirhams) in ransom from the people of Jahiliyyah in the aftermath of Badr. The majority of the scholars say that the matter of prisoners of war is up to the Imam. If he decides, he can have them killed, such as in the case of Bani Qurayzah. If he decides, he can accept a ransom for them, as in the case of the prisoners of Badr, or exchange them for Muslim prisoners. The Messenger exchanged a woman and her daughter who were captured by Salamah bin Al-Akwa`, for exchange of some Muslims who were captured by the idolators, or if he decides he can take the prisoner as a captives.

saif

Assalamu alaikum

Now follows the original urdu translation of Javed Ahmed Ghamidi and Amin Ahsan Islahi. Since only a small number of members can read it, I will present my English translation based upon their urdu translation and a translation of their tafsir in my next post.

upload_2015-12-14_11-48-47.png

saif

Assalamu alaikum

Here is the English translation. The tafsir will follow in my next post.

upload_2015-12-14_12-30-51.png
(They accuse you of inflicting the whole massacre only to take captives of war and earn ransom from them thereafter. The fact, however, is that) It does not befit any Prophet, that he takes captives of war and (for that purpose) even inflicts massacre on earth. (O People of Quraish) It is you, who desire the goods of this world. But Allah desires Hereafter. And Allah is All-Mighty, All-Wise.
Were it not a previous ordainment from Allah (that, he will give you some more time), a severe torment would have touched you for the pathway you have taken.
Therefore (O Muslims, don’t care about their accusations and) enjoy what you have gotten of booty in war (by taking ransom), lawful and good and have Taqwa of Allah. Certainly, Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.)

saif

Assalamu alaikum,
Here is the tafsir of the above verses by Imam Amin Ahsan Islahi. I will post the tafsir of verse 69 after coming back in mid january. Please bear with me. However, I will draw a conclusion in my next post to summarize our discussion.

Tafsir of Verse 67:
Usloob of ma kaana for raf’i Ilzam (negating accusation):

Usloob of Ma kaana can be used for both accusation (ilzam) and negating accusation (raf-i-ilzam) and Quran has examples of both of the usages. Whether it is used for accusation or for negating accusation, is determined by considering the context, the parlance and the addressed and the addressees. The same Usloob is used in Al-i-Imran 3:161
upload_2015-12-14_14-26-28.png
It is not [attributable] to any prophet that he would act unfaithfully [in regard to war booty]. And whoever betrays, [taking unlawfully], will come with what he took on the Day of Resurrection
Clearly, this verse is not for accusation but for negating the accusation. All ahl-i-taweel agree, that this verse addresses the munafiqeen and tells them, that your accusation of unfaithfulness on the Prophet is gross and no prophet can ever be unfaithful.
In the same way, the verse under consideration refutes Quraish for their accusation on the Prophet, that he is lusting for the power and for that he inflicts massacre on his own people, takes his own brothers as captives and takes ransom for them. All this talk serves only to comfort your own conscience. It befits no Prophet, that he takes captives, takes ransom and war booty and for that inflicts massacre on earth. You accuse the Prophet for inflicting massacre to earn ransom and war booty because you make assumption upon the Prophet considering your own self. Since this is what you want, you think, the Prophet would want the same.
Addressee are the Quraish:
upload_2015-12-14_14-26-28.pngupload_2015-12-14_14-26-28.png
This verse is addressed towards Quraish. The speech in Quran, as we pointed out numerous times, is similar to the speech of a adept speaker. He addresses all sides and parties before him at the same time, changing his addressees according to the state of their minds. The speech itself makes it clear, who is the addressee and which accusation has been answered. The same is the case here. The verse itself is making it clear, who is the addressee. There is no question of considering this verse to be addressed to the muslims and then in particular to the Prophet himself and Abou Bakar Siddique. And let us suppose, you can consider this verse to be addressed towards Prophet and Abou Bakar, then who can gather courage to consider even the next verse addressed towards them.
Comprehensiveness (Balaaghah) of the style of speech (Usloob-i-bayaan):
In any case, in my (Amin Ahsan Islahi’s) view, the addressee of this verse are Quraish and it answers their propaganda, on which I pointed out earlier. Allah says, this kind of lusting for Duniya only befits you. Allah wants Akhirah. Please pay attention on the comprehensiveness of the style of speech, because the verse does not say, that the Prophet and his companions want Akhirah. Instead, the verse says, Allah wants Akhirah. By that it is implied, that whatever the Prophet and his companions are doing is not their own will but they have the will of Allah with them. They are serving as a medium to fulfill the will of Allah. Allah’s will for His slaves is that everything they do, they do it for Akhirah. So how can a step taken by the Prophet and his companions be against the will of Allah. That means, Allah takes the responsibility of all steps during and after Badar upon Himself. In the end Allah says, He is All-Mighty, All-Wise. Whatever He wills, none can stop Him. Everything He wills consists of Justice and Wisdome.
Tafsir of Verse 68:
A warning for the future:

upload_2015-12-14_14-26-28.pngupload_2015-12-14_14-26-28.png
Meaning, you are crying your heads off only upon that, what has happened to you, although this is but only a small warning. The reward for the mischief you had done would have been a grave punishment. However, since Allah has fixed the time for all nations, He has given you some more time. That means, instead of doing this propaganda, you should make use of this time before the time of decision befalls upon you.
In the traditional translation, the confusion regarding word “ma” in upload_2015-12-14_14-26-28.pnghas not be explained. The word “akhadha” is used for taking, holding, adopting, adopting a pathway or for starting an act. In Surah Taubah we read:
upload_2015-12-14_14-26-28.png
“If good befalls you, it distresses them; but if disaster strikes you, they say, "We took our matter [in hand] before,"
In the verse under consideration, it would mean, for the pathway you have taken, you were actually deserving a grave punishment but you have got some time in accordance with the law of Allah (towards nations).
Resolving a confusion of the mufassireen:
Our mufassireen had great difficulty interpreting this verse. According to them, it is an admonition (‘Utaab) on the Prophet, Abou Bakar Siddique and other Sahabah radiallahu anhum ajmaeen, that why did they agree upon accepting ransom for the captives of Badar without inflicting massacre on earth. After correct interpretation, there is no need to refute that. However, keep a few facts in mind, while dealing with this topic:
First, even if we assume the Prophet and the sahabah did a mistake by accepting ransom, it was not a mistake of ignoring a previously revealed prohibition. By maximum it can be considered as a mistake in Ijtihaad. A mistake in Ijtihaad is by nature not something, for which such a hard admonition is revealed. Especially the kind of ijtihaad, which was testified by Allah himself directly afterwards.
Secondly, it was not even a mistake of ijtihaad. This law about the captives of war had already been revealed in the Surah Muhammad, that they can be killed or freed after taking ransom or freed for the good will.
Thirdly, as far as inflicting massacre is concerned, it was not even laking in the war of Badar. 70 people of Quraish were killed, among them big leaders, and more or less the same number was taken as captives and the rest just ran away, so there was nobody else to fight against.
Fourthly, the words, which are used for admonition are specific words of Quran. Everybody, who knows the language of Quran, knows that Quran admonishes only Kuffaar and munfiqeen with these words. If you still have reservations to accept that, you may take all the occurances in Quran, where Quran admonishes with upload_2015-12-14_14-26-28.pngupload_2015-12-14_14-26-28.png. Copying everything here will lengthen the tafsir unnecessarily.

Last edited:

saif

Conclusion

The classical tafsir of the above verses does not only accuses the Prophet and his companions of doing something as bad as to deserve the adhaab of Allah upon themselves, but it also paves the path for the terrorists of today to inflict massacre upon their enemies, who happen to be muslims and non muslims alike. Daesh kills shias (who they call safwids with contempt) and yazidis right away. They also kill almost all the other muslim enemies and justify their massacre by the classical tafsir of the above verses.

It is high time we tried to understand the real meaning of the verses, which are meant to negate the accusation on the Prophet and his companions.

Jazakallah Khair for taking time to read it.
Wassalamu alaikum

Last edited:

saif

Assalamu alaikum,

Like I said in the beginning, it is not the case with this verse only. Even the tafsir of the rest of verses is leaving enough space for terrorists to act freely and ruthlessly against muslims and non muslims alike. I will inshaAllah take those verses one after another and will clear the face of Islam from all those wrong interpretations, which our terrorists are misusing. I have no face to accuse non-muslims for misunderstanding Islam.

Wassalamu alaikum.

saif

Islam is meant to lift all that hurt humans, and make them live in dignity and happiness.
Sister,
Assalamu alaikum
Since I know you as a keen reader of Quran, I expect you to take time to read the above discussion carefully and eventually contribute to it.

MohammedQ

Assalamu alaikum

The original poster is assuming, as if the real problem was, that the non muslims were accusing Islam for being responsible for all the terror happening by the hands of the muslims. The strategy which the poster has adopted is to show that the non muslims are quoting verses of Quran out of context and thereby misinterpreting them, whereas there are enough verses in bible, which would be misunderstood, if taken out of context.

In my opinion, the basic assumptions of the poster are wrong. Therefore, he has taken a wrong line of argumentation to clear the face of Islam. The situation on ground is, that it is muslims, who are taking verses of Quran out of context and thereby creating mischief on earth. By looking at those muslims, the non-muslims do have some right to make some (wrong) assumptions about the teachings of Islam. We may argue, don't judge the religion by the deeds of its followers but then we all know it is expecting from them to be ideal although we ourselves are far far from being ideal muslims.

Have you ever tried to understand, why so many people go to Daesh, who call themselves or consider themselves salafis? Have you ever tried to understand, why (excepting the two deviant sects sufis and shias) almost all muslims are vulnerable to the narrative given by the terrorists. Why is it, that so many maghrebiners are attracted towards terrorism, even though they are mostly malikis? Why is it, that Taliban are attracted towards terrorism, even though they have roots in Sufism and they are hanafis?

Do you remember, some members in this very forum were trying to justify the burning of the jordanian pilot? One brother promised me to write a private message for his arguments, which he never did. However, I am sure he had this very verse in mind, which you have also copied:

And since, you have mentioned Medina University, I am quite sure, your interpretation of this verse is the same as those of the terrorists. You have translated it in the same way, the terrorists would do it. They think, until they have clear signs of victory and the end of "fitna"(fitna in their eyes), they have every right to "inflict a massacre". So they see themselves as justified, when they kill their captives or kill them right away, even though they have overpowered them.

This is just one example. We can take one verse after the other and I am very sad to tell you, that even though you are trying hard to differentiate yourself, your interpretation is the same or very similar to that of the terrorists.

Right now, I am going to start a journey, where I will have no time to check upon turntoislam. Therefore, I will try to concentrate upon the correct interpretation of verse 8:67 in my next post. The rest I will do after coming back, InshaAllah.

Wassalamu alaikum.

What you said is very false, and instead of helping explain islam, after I took the time to write all of that, you have enough nerve to put me down.

And you think you can clarify the issue with the copy paste that you posted? Your 'tafsir' is not explaining the verse it is talking about a entirely different topic and no one has a clue what in the world that tafsir is rambling aboit and I don't see Quraan and sunnah to explain the verse in your post and I don't even see the verse in question being addressed. You see I don't care what scholars say or said. Scholars and not infallible. Bring me Quraan and sunnah.

I mean after all the good I put in the article, I wrote not copy pasted like you, you still manage to critcise!

I can't interpret the verse exept based on Quraan and Sunnah, and scholars opinions are not wahy.

Secondly, As the Hadith said the verse is referring to prisoners of war. That is what the Hadith said. And the reason is to make the enemies fear early on. Extreme groups kill everyone not just prisoners of war.

So I try to defend islam and your reply is insulting me and putting me down? Are you jelous that you did it before you or what?

Your post did no help to the matter. Your 'tafsir' did not even talk about the verse and it did not explain anything at all.

Go away brother your clueless, sorry.

MohammedQ

In addition I never mentioned Madinah University. I mentioned Madinah Institite which is my institute.

SubhanAllah with all the good I put in the post your reply is ohhh you misinterpreted a verse like the terrorists when I did no such thin

My article is talking to non Muslims who misinterpret verses intentionally to prove thier points to make Islam look bad and to try to prove the extreamists are true Muslims due to hatred. They know its of context and extremists are caring wrong but they want to claim that extreamists interpretions are correct to turn people away from islam. And if you debate with non Muslims you would know this. You think you can win a disscussion with the post you posted? You can't. You want me to debate with non Muslims and tell them the issue is extreamists Muslims misinterpret verses? That's silly because the reply will be WHY EVER DO THEY DO THAT? If the Quraan makes everything clear why do they have hard time interpreting verses. That would be stupid argument and you would again lose the discussion. The extreamists don't misunderstand verses they cherry pick verses intentionally to suite THIER desires are fueled by political reasons and will do anything to gain what they want even misinterpreting verses. Why else do you think they do this? Just a slip up? Clearly not. Most of them dot even read Quraan.

Your post:

1. Its NOT clear and no one has a clue what its rambling about
2. There is no evidence from Quraan and sunnah for the ' tafsir' of yours.
3. Start your own post and explain the verses based on your pakastani tafsir that is not based on Quraan or sunnah, I will have your posts deleted as it serves no beneficial merits and is none sense based on nothing.

a_stranger

Islam starts with our own selves , Islam promotes peace and tranquility within our own selves , when our hearts are settled within peace and submission to our creator then peace will flow all around:

Quran calls human minds to ponder , reason and think in all the creation around us , what is within us and feel the greatness and Glory of Allah who created us and believe . Quran calls us to feel his bounties , wisdom, mercy, love, justice and full our hearts with love , gratitude, thanks towards the giver of everything ......... Islam teaches human kind to do all the good they can towards people , animals , plants to please Allah .

a_stranger

Islam arrange our own feelings cuts the roots of hate, anger, arrogance, selfishness , cruelty , since we works for our creator:Allah not to please our own selves. We seek his pleasure and Janna this is clarified in the following verse:

“… Repel (the evil) with one which is better (i.e., Allaah ordered the faithful believers to be patient at the time of anger, and to excuse those who treat them badly), then verily! He between whom and you there was enmity, (will become) as though he was a close friend. But none is granted it (the above quality), except those who are patient, and none is granted it except the owner of the great portion (of happiness in the Hereafter, i.e., Paradise, and in this world of a high moral character).”[meaning of Qur’an Surah Fussilat 41:35]

a_stranger

If we study Quran and Sunna with open hearts we can overcome many bad attitudes , many foolishness , imperfections within our own selves then turn to our creator (in prayers) with healthy sound hearts. This makes life happy and secure.

MohammedQ

And
Islam arrange our own feelings cuts the roots of hate, anger, arrogance, selfishness , cruelty , since we works for our creator:Allah not to please our own selves. We seek his pleasure and Janna this is clarified in the following verse:

“… Repel (the evil) with one which is better (i.e., Allaah ordered the faithful believers to be patient at the time of anger, and to excuse those who treat them badly), then verily! He between whom and you there was enmity, (will become) as though he was a close friend. But none is granted it (the above quality), except those who are patient, and none is granted it except the owner of the great portion (of happiness in the Hereafter, i.e., Paradise, and in this world of a high moral character).”[meaning of Qur’an Surah Fussilat 41:35]

And my post did not teach that???

MohammedQ

If we study Quran and Sunna with open hearts we can overcome many bad attitudes , many foolishness , imperfections within our own selves then turn to our creator (in prayers) with healthy sound hearts. This makes life happy and secure.

And my post was not based on Quraan and sunnah?

a_stranger

And

And my post did not teach that???

Brother I am in full agreement with all that you posted. You asked me to contribute , I wrote about my experience in Islam . What I meant that true Moslem can never be terrorist , yes he may defend his rights and justice but never can be terrorist. The true terrorists are those who kill, torture , hurt innocents .History tells clearly who are the true terrorists.

a_stranger

Sorry brother Mohammad , I thought you are the one who asked me to contribute . What you wrote is very clear and right. People should study Quran as a whole . They should learn about the circumstances at the time of revelation . The corruption that Quran cured. The challenges that faced the message of tawheed.

a_stranger

We are living in a world which are governed by injustice , selfishness , power , arrogance.........it is not strange that we see some Moslems use the same values to face this unfair world . It is totally forbidden in Islam to be unjust, cruel, killer, unfair.......-this what Islam came to stop- but if we look beyond the wrong acts of some Moslems we find that they are not following the example of our prophet salla Allah alaihi wa sallam who was most merciful and just but following the wrong example of tyrants of our world . They are not following Quran and Sunna at all.
We should look at the whole picture and consider all the circumstances to understand.