Confusion about homosexuality

Beginner

Asslamu Aliakum

I am confused about the views and attitudes towards homosexuality. I am not trying to start an argument. I want closure.

1. Islam states sodomy (anal sex) is a sin. I understand this. This applies to both heterosexual and homosexuals. But how does this ruling apply to lesbians?

2. As mentioned above heterosexuals are able to perform sodomy. So whenever the discussion of sodomy is raised, why is the attention only focused upon homosexual men?

3. In terms of punishment I heard the death penalty is applicable for those who perform sodomy. However, there appears to be debate about how they should be punished. Are they pushed off a tall building as stated in a Hadith?

4. In some Muslim societies it is advised Muslim men with homosexual feelings should marry a woman. Is this not deceit? If you have a daughter/sister, would you allow them to marry a homosexual man?

5. Some claim homosexuality is a mental disorder. I would say mental disorders result in the person unable to live a healthy life and may even prevent others from doing so. How is homosexuality a mental disorder? If it was indeed a mental disorder, why punish them in the first place? Should they not receive medical attention?

6. Where does all the hatred towards homosexuals originates from? I understand the conduct is a sin but is it really necessary for some Muslims to get so angry and upset about it to the point where they advocate sadistic treatment of homosexuals?

7. Homosexuality is practised everywhere. It is extremely common but well hidden. So how should it be dealt with for those who have not performed sex outside of marriage? Celibacy?

8. Why do Muslims say gays cannot be Muslims? You have Muslims that have committed murders, genocide and rape, but they are not called non-Muslims.

Arfatzafar

Every physical relationship in any unnatural way is prohibited in Islam. This prohibition either is explicitly mentioned in scriptures or is prohibited by ijtihad.
We don't hate the sinner but the sin.

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Asslamu Aliakum

I am confused about the views and attitudes towards homosexuality. I am not trying to start an argument. I want closure.

1. Islam states sodomy (anal sex) is a sin. I understand this. This applies to both heterosexual and homosexuals. But how does this ruling apply to lesbians?

See answer for 2.
2. As mentioned above heterosexuals are able to perform sodomy. So whenever the discussion of sodomy is raised, why is the attention only focused upon homosexual men?
I have not been in any sodomy discussions to warrant an answer about where the attention goes . However, it is something forbidden in general, no matter who commits the act or how it is committed.

3. In terms of punishment I heard the death penalty is applicable for those who perform sodomy. However, there appears to be debate about how they should be punished. Are they pushed off a tall building as stated in a Hadith?
No.
4. In some Muslim societies it is advised Muslim men with homosexual feelings should marry a woman. Is this not deceit? If you have a daughter/sister, would you allow them to marry a homosexual man?
Islam does not teach this.
5. Some claim homosexuality is a mental disorder. I would say mental disorders result in the person unable to live a healthy life and may even prevent others from doing so. How is homosexuality a mental disorder? If it was indeed a mental disorder, why punish them in the first place? Should they not receive medical attention?
See answer for 7.
6. Where does all the hatred towards homosexuals originates from? I understand the conduct is a sin but is it really necessary for some Muslims to get so angry and upset about it to the point where they advocate sadistic treatment of homosexuals?
You will find people going into extremes all over the world. This is not limited to Muslims.

7. Homosexuality is practised everywhere. It is extremely common but well hidden. So how should it be dealt with for those who have not performed sex outside of marriage? Celibacy?
This is a test from Allah, so a person must have patience and do their best to please Allah by doing good actions and by staying away from sin. Everyone is tested in this world, and it is beyond our comprehension as to why we have our own individual tests. What is known is that Allah takes into full account our commitment to righteousness out of our love for Him.

8. Why do Muslims say gays cannot be Muslims? You have Muslims that have committed murders, genocide and rape, but they are not called non-Muslims.
If they say that, then it is incorrect. It is a sin, but it does not put the person outside of Islam.

a_stranger

Allah subhanahu wa taaala created everything and sent his messages ( the final one is Islam ) to direct humanity to the best way to live and die in purity . Following the laws of Allah subhanahu wa taaala puts our life in perfect order in every matter while any deviation from the laws bring mischief and chaos to life. Sins ruin life and destroy humanity . We should not hate only what Allah subhanahu wa taaala hates.

Abu Juwairiya

You can see from both the Qur'an and Sunnah, homosexuality and homosexual relationships are not mentioned as things the residents of Paradise will be involved in. Heterosexual or to use another word 'straight' people are with marriage with the opposite gender, while bisexuals, lesbians and all others are not. This should be enough for most people.