Is playing chess acceptable in Islam?

Koopa39

Assalamu Alaykum,

Is playing chess acceptable if we respect these three conditions?:

- Playing chess doesn't make us miss praying on time.

- We only play chess a few hours a week. So it's only a pastime. We don't play professionally.

- We don't play for money. If we happen to win some money in a chess tournament, we either refuse the money or immediately give it to charity.

If the answer is no, please explain the reasons why chess is forbidden.

cabdixakim

Assalamu Alaykum,

Is playing chess acceptable if we respect these three conditions?:

- Playing chess doesn't make us miss praying on time.

- We only play chess a few hours a week. So it's only a pastime. We don't play professionally.

- We don't play for money. If we happen to win some money in a chess tournament, we either refuse the money or immediately give it to charity.

If the answer is no, please explain the reasons why chess is forbidden.
Wa'aleykumas'salaam warahmatul'Lahi wabarakatuh...

There is a difference of scholarly opinion in this... According to Imaam Shaafii, if these conditions and many others( e.g it doesn't involve gambling, abusive languages, cheating,false oaths, must not bring hatred and enemity among players and not severe ties etc ) are fulfilled then it's permissible although some suggest he later on withdrew from that position... While other scholars like Imam Maalik,Hanafi hold that it's impermissible in all cases basing their argument on some Ahadith including one of Ali(r.a) and how he compared it to backgammon(which is impermissible)...

/* I'm more in line with the view; if the set of many conditions are fulfilled, all, then it's permissible because scholars regard football the same way(i.e if the set conditions are fulfilled it's permissible) and football has definitely more potential of breaking any set of conditions than a chess game.

But I wonder if such a thing meant to be trivial brings up the diverse opinions of the scholars and an individual wants to get to the bases of it until he sees it permissible then doesn't it mean it's already great in his heart and should be avoided?... for it to be truly trivial, it shouldn't make any difference to a person whether it's prohibited or not and can go without it either way!*/