are u extremis or not?

saqlawi

Muslim Student
Extremism and fundamentalism both fall under the word "radical," a powerful propaganda word used by the west to confuse the two.

Extremism is prohibited in Islam. One man, for example, told the prophet (pbuh) that he wanted to fast everyday. The prophet said no, as that is a form of extremism. (I don't know the hadith exactly, so I would appreciate it if someone could get it fully)

All Muslims are, or should be, fundamentalists. That means we stick to the basic fundamentals of our religion, we do not change things. We followed the sunna of the prophet (pbuh) and the quran given to us over 1400 years ago, and we still follow the same today.

Much of "extremism" is misinterpreted by westerners because of simple misinformation.
For example, we see that Iraq was obviously invaded, and mujahideen fight back.

But in the eyes of the west, America went to "liberate" Iraq, and the "terrorists" aren't letting them.

See where they use "extremism?"

Jihan

ex·trem·ism /ɪkˈstrimɪzəm/
–noun a tendency or disposition to go to extremes or an instance of going to extremes, esp. in political matters: leftist extremism; the extremism of the Nazis

ex·trem·ist
(ĭk-strē'mĭst) n. One who advocates or resorts to measures beyond the norm, especially in politics.

extremism
noun
any political theory favoring immoderate uncompromising policies

fun·da·men·tal·ism /ˌfʌndəˈmɛntlˌɪzəm/ [fuhn-duh-men-tl-iz-uhm]
–noun 1. (sometimes initial capital letter) a movement in American Protestantism that arose in the early part of the 20th century in reaction to modernism and that stresses the infallibility of the Bible not only in matters of faith and morals but also as a literal historical record, holding as essential to Christian faith belief in such doctrines as the creation of the world, the virgin birth, physical resurrection, atonement by the sacrificial death of Christ, and the Second Coming.
2. the beliefs held by those in this movement.
3. strict adherence to any set of basic ideas or principles: the fundamentalism of the extreme conservatives.

fun·da·men·tal·ism (fŭn'də-měn'tl-ĭz'əm)
n.
A usually religious movement or point of view characterized by a return to fundamental principles, by rigid adherence to those principles, and often by intolerance of other views and opposition to secularism.

often Fundamentalism An organized, militant Evangelical movement originating in the United States in the late 19th and early 20th century in opposition to Protestant Liberalism and secularism, insisting on the inerrancy of Scripture.
Adherence to the theology of this movement.

mod·ern·ism /ˈmɒdərˌnɪzəm/
–noun 1. modern character, tendencies, or values; adherence to or sympathy with what is modern.
2. a modern usage or characteristic.
3. (initial capital letter) Theology. a. the movement in Roman Catholic thought that sought to interpret the teachings of the Church in the light of philosophic and scientific conceptions prevalent in the late 19th and early 20th centuries: condemned by Pope Pius X in 1907.
b. the liberal theological tendency in Protestantism in the 20th century.

4. (sometimes initial capital letter) a deliberate philosophical and practical estrangement or divergence from the past in the arts and literature occurring esp. in the course of the 20th century and taking form in any of various innovative movements and styles.

mod·ern·ism (mŏd'ər-nĭz'əm)
n.

Modern thought, character, or practice.
Sympathy with or conformity to modern ideas, practices, or standards.
A peculiarity of usage or style, as of a word or phrase, that is characteristic of modern times.
often Modernism The deliberate departure from tradition and the use of innovative forms of expression that distinguish many styles in the arts and literature of the 20th century.
often Modernism A Roman Catholic movement, officially condemned in 1907, that attempted to examine traditional belief according to contemporary philosophy, criticism, and historiography.

usually when a non-muslim says modern muslim or liberal muslim they are referring to a muslim that does not practice Islam at all. When they say fundamemtalist muslim they are talking about a muslim who seperates themselves from non-muslims somewhat and they practice islam to a certain extent but they also practice the culture of the west. Extremist on the other hand is used for someone (muslim) that is being referred to as one that was to do nothing with the western society and may show oppositon. as muslim I don't we really call ourselves any of these,whiling know the true meaning of it, but its rather others who observe our actions or beliefs and then classify us in to a certain category.

Would anyone, knowing the meaning, referr to themself with any of those words with sincerity?

apocalypse77

extremist or radical or fundamental muslims ar ejust temrs concocted by the media who dont even have the basic knowledge of islam.

if i pray 5 times a day does that make me an extremist?if i were to dilute certain parts of my faith does that make me an extremist?

im just a simple muslim, i merely follow the quran,sunnah and hadith.does that make me an extremist?

pple of of other religions have the right to follow their faths and so do i and i dont even wana get involve with them.ultimately im the one whos gona answer for my OWN self during judgement day and not them.

if pple blasphemise or make fun of my religion, so be it. yes of course i will get angry and hurt initially but ultimately i cant let the negativity get the best out of me and let my emotions control me.

aseel

Assalamu 3alaykum,

extremist, fundamentalist?
Just words !!!!!!!!!! we are all just MUSLIMS simple as that !

A non-muslim girl asked a muslim friend of mine and I, why I am hijabi and not my friend and why I leave class to pray and not her.
The non-muslim girl then asked is it because you practice your religion more? And that you are a better muslim?
My muslim friend answered that it`s because i am more extremist and strict. The non-muslim girl confused because my friend is born muslim and not me.
So i told her that only Allah(SWT) knows and can judge on wether we and good muslims or not.

So you see my non hijabi friend used me being "extremist" as an easy excuse.

How messed up is that!? I think that if fundamentalists are muslims that follow the book of Allah(SWT) and sunna then we are all fundamentalists!
So what is the fuse about? There and just muslims that practice more than others. An extremist is a person that has gone astray.

virtualeye

Tamed Brother
Assalamu 3alaykum,

So you see my non hijabi friend used me being "extremist" as an easy excuse.

Your friend's act comes under the act of hypcrisy and backbiting. I wish I could curse such ugly people who are damaging the image of Islam. May Allah give hidayah to such people of astray.

WassalaamuAlaikum,
VE

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
:salam2:

A Muslim is not Extremist, Fundamentalist, Modernist or anything.

Some people happily call themselves fundamentalists, but they dont realise why this is wrong.

A Muslim is a Muslim. This is what Allah the most high told us to call ourselves.

As a Muslim we must submit ourselves to Allah, and be the followers of the Quran and the Sunnah.

Our ummah is weak because we do not have Muslims behaving like Muslims. The only way for that is for them to actually live Islam according to the original teachings and to have firm belief in Allah without associating any partners with him, and also to stay away from any innovatory and deviant practises that have no basis in Islam.

wasalam.

Libinette

Umm Zubayr
assalamu caleikum,

A muslim fundamentalist, isn't it someone who belives and adhere by the fundments of Islam? So what's wrong by saying : i am a fundamentalist muslim?

There is no such thing as Modern Islam, i just hate the combination, it's like an oxymoron!!!

wassalam caleikum wr wb

Jihan

That's is sooo wrong of her to say such a thing, just so she doesn't look bad for her behaivor:astag: . instead she made you the one that was to blame. I am angry just from reading this; I feel like she did that to me.

al-fajr

...ism..schism
Staff member
:salam2:

Our ummah is weak because we do not have Muslims behaving like Muslims. The only way for that is for them to actually live Islam according to the original teachings and to have firm belief in Allah without associating any partners with him, and also to stay away from any innovatory and deviant practises that have no basis in Islam.

wasalam.

Salam
Yes I agree, that we have to revive authentic Islam...another problem is that when Muslim DO start behaving as Muslims they get locked up.(Like Imam Anwar al Awlaki) so our knowledge is being 'uprooted':

''Allah does not pull out knowledge by uprooting it from the people, but pulls it away by the death of scholars, until no more scholars are left, then people will make as their leaders ignorant people"
[narrated by Abdullah ibn Amr ibn al Aas - collected by Imam Bukhari in his Sahih]

Wasalam

shaz_1999

I cannot believe this is what people talk about, I mean we could stir all sorts of things with this subject and for that reason I am not going to say anything on it

Jihan

That's is sooo wrong of her to say such a thing, just so she doesn't look bad for her behaivor:astag: . instead she made you the one that was to blame. I am angry just from reading this; I feel like she did that to me.
this was accident

Abdul Hasib

Student of Knowledge
My definition of an extremist is for a Munafiq that helps the Infidels like Dostum who jails Mujahid and Muslim men in Afganistan and anyone who owns Abu Garib, and another is the Munafiq who jail the Imams and Ameers (Munafiq as in someone who's supposed to be Muslim). And an extremist is some Infidel like Nush goes around killing people like what the dog did in Somalia and Iraq.