Was there a Christian terrorism link in the Virginia Tech tragedy?

Wiseguy74

Was there a Christian terrorism link in the Virginia Tech tragedy?
By: Laila El-Haddad
www.islamicity.com

Of course there was no connection of this incident with Christianity. But there is a point to be made about 'Terrorism, the media, and Virginia Tech'.

"Thanks to you, I die like Jesus Christ, to inspire generations of the weak and the defenseless people."

These are the words uttered by the name now known across America-and much of the world; the name plastered on every newspaper headline, internet magazine, radio and TV station.

But very few networks or newspapers chose to emphasize this statement, or even publish it. It was relegated to the end of the text in almost every article I read on the incident.

Why then is there no media frenzy to uncover and parse to death every possible "Christian fundamentalist" connection that Cho might have had, even seemingly benign ones ("you belonged to the Christian fellowship you say? You attended a local church? The church once hosted a controversial right-wing leader? Your highschool roommate's estranged cousin attended anti-east rallies?). You get my drift.

There is no question that Tuesday's attack was horrific, and very sad.

What I am interested in though is-as is often the case-how the media is covering it?

The coverage initially started out by mentioning- between the lines- that this "did not seem to be an act of terrorism". Ok I might be picking at straws here but if this isn't terrorism, what is? Not politically motivated you say? Is that the standard common definition of terrorism anyway these days?

The attacker, as in the Baruch Goldstein case, is being described as a mentally unstable wacko, one screw loose too many and the attack as an unfortunate case where a gun that found its way to the wrong hands; an exception to the rule; this despite the fact that a special justice found his insight and judgment to be normal.

The methodical nature of his killing rampage and his pre-rampage preparations seems to add credence to this.

The question I'd like to pose is, given his statement above which was extracted from his so-called "manifesto" and aired on NBC: couldn't this, too, be classified as an act of religious terrorism (by the same standards employed by this media in categorizing "islamic terrorism" or "jihadism" or whatever)?

Or more precisely, to make a fair analogy, couldn't one say that Cho derived "his inspiration" from Christian doctrine or the "Christian culture of martyrdom"?

I dread to think how the mass media would even begin to speculate and evaluate this if those same words were uttered by an attacker who happened to be of Muslim descent (exchanging Jesus Christ with some other Muslim figure.)

Of course Cho, who was the son of South Korean immigrants that worked at a dry cleaners, goes on to deride the upper-class elite and all of their material pleasures and "hedonistic needs", including their Mercedes, gold necklaces, and drinking.

The point is this: in this modern day post-nationalism and globalization, one can seldom make sweeping generalizations about the ideologies driving any killer, whatever the circumstance, whatever the background;

Muslim, Christian, brown, pink, or purple, there is usually more than meets the eye; politics are often the driving force, religion a mere cloak.

That, and of course, the fact that the western media and its members needs to wake up and realize they are not as professional and objective as they like to believe: even the best can slip certain routines and begin to utilize prejudicial, unhelpful, and sensationalist labels, taking more liberty to do so with certain groups than others.

Laila El-Haddad is a Palestinian journalist who divides her time between Gaza and the United States.

She maintains a blog at ..
http://a-mother-from-gaza.blogspot.com/

The incident is sad, but is no different to what is going on in Palestine, Iraq, Afghanistan. People are so use to it, that it becomes common seeing them die, yet become shocked when a few die in a college campus and gets so much media attention and newspaper attention. They show pictures of the victims, but what about the ones that die in Iraq, Palestine, Afghanistan every day? We want to know the life story and ambitions of those people as well.

The college incident was truly a terrorist act but you don't hear that from the media. It's almost like only Muslims are associated with that word. Once again the media is kindly being bias to Americans.

walaakum salaam

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
Salaam alaykum

in Virginia died 32 innocent civilians for nothing, at last tuesday in Iraq died 183 innocent civilians for nothing but who cares about them? They only were Iraqis? Mostly children and women.

:angryblue:

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salam,

Our hearts and prayers are with the families of the innocent students who were slaughtered.

The children, women, the elderly, the infirmed, the innoncents that are killed 24/7 360...these are our families..these are our sisters, mothers, chidren, the blood of Islam...I believe we are begining to wake up. Each prayer we say, each time we invoke the name of Allah, each contact we have with a fellow Muslim..we are begining to wake up..we care...that is one of the reason I continue to write..as long as there is one Muslim alive..we can carry the banner of Islam...our innoncents are with Allah..it is our duty to remain united.
Inshalla, our bond will become stonger..

Albint_Almuslima

Im Proud 2 B Me!
Look how they made the killing of 32 people a big thing Yeah its big But what about the killing of 32,000 Iraqi.

They say give the 32 people a moment of silence, So why dont we give the 32,000 a moment of silence............................................................................................................................
......................................................................................................
.....................................................ALLAH UMA IFTEH LAHUM ABWAB JENATEK!!!!!!!! Oh Allah please open the gates of Heaven for them!!!!!!

Salam,

Our hearts and prayers are with the families of the innocent students who were slaughtered.

The children, women, the elderly, the infirmed, the innoncents that are killed 24/7 360...these are our families..these are our sisters, mothers, chidren, the blood of Islam...I believe we are begining to wake up. Each prayer we say, each time we invoke the name of Allah, each contact we have with a fellow Muslim..we are begining to wake up..we care...that is one of the reason I continue to write..as long as there is one Muslim alive..we can carry the banner of Islam...our innoncents are with Allah..it is our duty to remain united.
Inshalla, our bond will become stonger..

I seek wisdom in your words, couldn't of said it any bette sister-mashallah

walakum salam

Kurd11

IN ALLAH...WE TRUST.
I asked the same thing, "why aren't other innocent people who die every day in foreign countries given a moment of silence?" I am speechless.

May Allah (SWT) bring justice to all of mankind.

I

Innvertigo

The incident is sad, but is no different to what is going on in Palestine, Iraq, Afghanistan. People are so use to it, that it becomes common seeing them die, yet become shocked when a few die in a college campus and gets so much media attention and newspaper attention. They show pictures of the victims, but what about the ones that die in Iraq, Palestine, Afghanistan every day? We want to know the life story and ambitions of those people as well.

The college incident was truly a terrorist act but you don't hear that from the media. It's almost like only Muslims are associated with that word. Once again the media is kindly being bias to Americans.

walaakum salaam

What do you mean the media doesn't report it as terrorism? That's all we've been hearing on the news since it happened. Maybe you should actually watch American media before making these kinds of false claims.

What do you mean the media doesn't report it as terrorism? That's all we've been hearing on the news since it happened. Maybe you should actually watch American media before making these kinds of false claims.

Last time I checked I thought it was American media, maybe I should switch to satellite or my cable company (i've been fooled!) lol. They don't mention it as a "terrorist" attack, they call it "mass murder." But if it was a Muslim, it would of been called a "terrorist" attack (and without a doubt Islam would of been held accountable), there is a difference in the language and tone on how the media portrays someone. Trust me, i'm an auditor, even when I write reports I have to be very careful with my language/words, because the public can be very picky and sensitive.

I

Innvertigo

Last time I checked I thought it was American media, maybe I should switch to satellite or my cable company (i've been fooled!) lol. They don't mention it as a "terrorist" attack, they call it "mass murder." But if it was a Muslim, it would of been called a "terrorist" attack (and without a doubt Islam would of been held accountable), there is a difference in the language and tone on how the media portrays someone. Trust me, i'm an auditor, even when I write reports I have to be very careful with my language/words, because the public can be very picky and sensitive.

would it make you feel better if we called Muslim terroists, mass murderers? I refer to homocide bombers as mass muerderers. They have repeatedly called him a terrorist but maybe you don't pay as much attention to is as I do.

justoneofmillion

would it make you feel better if we called Muslim terroists, mass murderers? I refer to homocide bombers as mass muerderers. They have repeatedly called him a terrorist but maybe you don't pay as much attention to is as I do.
hi, would it make you feel better if we called you criminals, blood thirsty opressors, steallers, liars ,cowards coaliotion builders against the poorest countries, uninvited guests,hypocrite dictatorship helpers,
toghether with your gouvernement?even through the medias here in europe they didn`t call him a christian terrorist you know what they said that he was dressed like Al qaeda people slow down a bit if you came here to argue then.....this is not the first time and if you want trouble you are gonna get it now you only know how to destroy and create discorde since you are here i have never seen any positive geniune post from you nothing zero!

peace

I believe there is a difference in the tone of those two words (mass murder vs. TERRORIST). Then you have a special CNN moment that tries to explore "the mind of a terrorist," the emphasis on it goes so deep that it almost brainwashes Americans to think all Muslims are terrorists. All i'm trying to say is that they are not consistent with the words they are using, then again maybe I have attention defecit disorder (ADD), sometimes words just come in and go out the other ear.

I

Innvertigo

hi, would it make you feel better if we called you criminals, blood thirsty opressors, steallers, liars ,cowards coaliotion builders against the poorest countries, uninvited guests,hypocrite dictatorship helpers,
toghether with your gouvernement?even through the medias here in europe they didn`t call him a christian terrorist you know what they said that he was dressed like Al qaeda people slow down a bit if you came here to argue then.....this is not the first time and if you want trouble you are gonna get it now you only know how to destroy and create discorde since you are here i have never seen any positive geniune post from you nothing zero!

peace

personally I don't care what people call me or my country...sticks and stones in my book.. He wasn't a christian terrorist, he didn't even describe Jesus Christs death correctly. At the most he an uneducated christian who was a terrorist and a mass muderer. Nothing cpositive because I don't believe the same things? I don't believe the USA is the root of all evil and I tend to side more with Isreal? What in your book is considered positive? When I disagree I get personally attacked, which is fine by me.

I

Innvertigo

I believe there is a difference in the tone of those two words (mass murder vs. TERRORIST). Then you have a special CNN moment that tries to explore "the mind of a terrorist," the emphasis on it goes so deep that it almost brainwashes Americans to think all Muslims are terrorists. All i'm trying to say is that they are not consistent with the words they are using, then again maybe I have attention defecit disorder (ADD), sometimes words just come in and go out the other ear.

Well i'm an american and I don't consider myself one of the brainwashed..I don't believe you have ADD...I get the same thing when my wifw harps at me...it's called selective ADD :)

Well i'm an american and I don't consider myself one of the brainwashed..I don't believe you have ADD...I get the same thing when my wifw harps at me...it's called selective ADD :)

I'm glad you are one of the wiser ones. You might not be brainwashed, but you look at the reality now and you can see (as many Muslims have experienced and still experience) the hate and ignorance people have towards Muslims and Islam. Hopefully, you can spread the message and inform others that Muslims are not terrorists.

BTW, be careful, too much selective ADD with your wife can lead to disaster...you better have a recovery plan lol