confused:need some help!!

al-fajr

...ism..schism
Staff member
Salam

sister! thts an islamophobic site uve got there!!

u cant rely on it for any information let alone the interpretation of Quranic verses...have u visited the homepage? its nasty, its just a load of sarcasm about islam.

IbnAlAawam

:salam2:

Thank you for asking.
That website is not a Muslim website. It is a website to confuse people about Islam and I think they succeeded with you.
They are lying and taking things out of context. I have not got time right now to demonstrate but if you just do some research on the subject of women in Islam on TTI you'll understand.

Salam alaykoum,

Jihan

Question:
Does Islam teach that a woman is worth less than a man?

Summary Answer:
Absolutely. The only debatable point is by what degree.

Sura (5:6) - "And if ye are unclean, purify yourselves. And if ye are sick or on a journey, or one of you cometh from the closet, or ye have had contact with women, and ye find not water, then go to clean, high ground and rub your faces and your hands with some of it" Men are to rub dirt on their hands if there is no water to purify them following casual contact with a woman (such as shaking hands).

Sura (24:31) - Women are to lower their gaze around men, so they do not look them in the eye.

A traditional Islamic saying is that, "A woman's heaven is beneath her husband's feet."

this is from the website thereligionofpeace. first of all this is a nonmuslim website trying to bring down islam (they are being sarcastic by saying religionofpeace). I have copied and pasted a couple of things they have there. As a muslim when we read the comments they have underneath the tthe ayat we know they obviously don't know much or they are trying to prove something they made up. Both ayats go for male and female the first one is speaking generally and the second we know there's an ayah that says men are to lower their gazes. so what's their point! for the last one well there 's "A traditional Islamic saying is that," "A man's heaven is beneath his mother's feet."so why have they not mentioned that?

Jalila_mustafa

:jazaak:
Thank You..
I Was Well Confused, I Appecaite It
I Feel a Bit Stupid For Falling For It, Next Time I Have Any Questions Ill Defonatly Ask,
Once Again Thank You :D
Salaam!

tabaria

Has anyone even heard of the heaven being under the husband's feet? I've heard the mother one, and these sites are really bad for making up stuff or changing lines to match their deceitful purposes.

IbnAlAawam

Because of vicious people like the ones behind that website, it is very important that we, Muslims, educate ourselves about our religion. It is easy to be confused if you are not educated enough.
Anyway, it just prove they cannot attack Islam as they have to lie and manipulate.

IbnAlAawam

To prove my point I'll just answer the first 2 points although we could easily answer every single claim they made on that website (It takes too much space and it's already been covered in TTI). If anyone still need clarification do not hesitate to ask.

:SMILY259:

Allah (thus) directs you as regards your Children's (Inheritance): to the male, a portion equal to that of two females: if only daughters, two or more, their share is two-thirds of the inheritance; if only one, her share is a half. For parents, a sixth share of the inheritance to each, if the deceased left children; if no children, and the parents are the (only) heirs, the mother has a third; if the deceased Left brothers (or sisters) the mother has a sixth. (The distribution in all cases ('s) after the payment of legacies and debts. Ye know not whether your parents or your children are nearest to you in benefit. These are settled portions ordained by Allah; and Allah is All-knowing, Al-wise.

Position of Women in Islam: Economic Aspect

By Dr. Jamal Badawi

Chairman, Islamic Information Foundation - Canada

Islam gave women a variety of rights 1,400 years ago that were not acknowledged in Western countries until the 17th century.

According to the Encyclopedia Americana in English Common Law: all the real property held by a woman at the time of her marriage became the property of her husband — he was entitled to the rent from the land and any profit that might be made from managing it.

In Islamic law, women have an unqualified right to own property, a right that does not change on marriage. A woman is also free to dispose of her property, — bequeath it, rent it, sell it, invest it — in any way she likes, without consulting any one else.

Incidentally, a Muslim woman is not required to change her maiden name on marriage, she retains her own name, a symbolic demonstration of the fact that even on marriage, Islam recognizes her independent legal personality.

It was not until the late 1870s onwards in England (and even later elsewhere in Europe) that married women achieved the right to enter contracts and own property. In France, these same rights were not recognized until 1938.

Inheritance Share

At the time of Prophet Muhammad, women themselves were an object of inheritance because they were considered to be part of the possessions of a man. Pre-Islamic Arabs were not the only community to have such views.

The Qur'an, however, established the right of women to a share in inheritance and indeed determined the shares that male and female heirs of the deceased should have. This "determined" share is calculated by Allah Himself in His wisdom and cannot be changed, and any will that recommends the exclusion of a particular heir renders it null and void.

There is a verse in the Qur'an detailing the Islamic position on inheritance that was revealed in response to a complaint made by a Muslim woman to the Prophet: her brother-in-law had taken the whole of her recently deceased husband's property, even though she had two daughters.

God revealed what means,

[Men shall have a portion of what the parents and the near relatives leave, and women shall have a portion of what the parents and the near relatives leave, whether there is little or much of it; a stated portion.] (An-Nisaa' 4:7)

The Islamic law of inheritance is extremely detailed, but its most salient features are that:

a. The extent of the share of inheritance is dependent on the heir's relationship to the deceased.

b. In most cases, the male's share of the inheritance is twice that of the female's. This is due to the variant financial responsibilities of the male and the female in Islam. It is clear that men need the extra share of inheritance in view of the commitments they have, not only to their own families, but also to other poor relatives who may be dependent on them.

c. The shares to be allotted out of any inheritance are determined by Allah and not by any human being.

In fact, taking Islamic law as a whole, women are much more favored financially than their male counterparts for the following reasons:

1. During the period of engagement prior to marriage, any gifts given by the woman's fiancé are her own.
2. On marriage, she is entitled to receive a marriage gift, dowry, (which usually takes the form of money) and this is her own property.
3. If the woman has any property prior to her marriage, this property continues to be at her sole disposal after the marriage; her husband has no claims on it.
4. Even if the wife is rich, she is not required to spend a single penny on the household; the full responsibility for her food, clothing, housing, medication, recreation, etc. is her husband's.
5. Any income the wife earns through investing or working is entirely hers, to be spent as she alone wishes.
6. In case of divorce, if there is any deferred part of the dowry still to be paid, it becomes due immediately.
7. The divorced woman is entitled to full maintenance during the waiting period which follows divorce, and is also entitled to maintenance for her children.

Women's Witness

Question:

If Islam says that it gives equal rights to women, why then are women half a witness as compared to men? Don't say here that women were not powered at that time as Hadhrat Khatija (ra) was a very successful woman in that society.

Answer:

Islam does not say that it gives equal rights to men and women. Islam does not advocate 'Equality', as the basis of assigning rights and responsibilities to individuals, except for the basic human rights; it advocates 'Justice'. Nevertheless, because the issue is not directly related to the issue under consideration, let us, therefore, take up your actual question.

It is generally held that Islam gives half the status to a woman's witness as compared to that of a man. It is stressed that because women are deficient in intellect, Islam does not hold their witness to be as reliable as that of a man. In my opinion, there is absolutely no basis for this concept.

The idea that the witness of women is only half as reliable as that of a man has been derived from verse 282 of Surah Al-Baqarah - the second Surah of the Qur'an . A close look at the referred verse shows that such a derivation on the basis of this verse is not correct. The translation of the related part of the verse follows:

Believers, when you make a deal for a loan for a prescribed period of time, write down the agreement. A scribe should write down the agreement between you, with justice. The scribe should not refuse to write it down, as God gave him the knowledge of writing. So he must write it down. The debtor should dictate the writing and [while doing so,] he must fear God, his Lord [and dictate it justly] and not reduce any part of the amount. If the debtor is not of a sound mind or is weak or is in any other way incapacitated to dictate the agreement, then his guardian may dictate [the terms on his behalf] with justice. Make two of your men a witness on this agreement. In case two men are not available, then a man and two women. Such witnesses as you choose. [Two women in place of one man have been advised, so] that if one of them errs, the other may remind her. The witnesses should not refuse when they are called to testify." (Al-Baqarah 2: 282)

As stated earlier, Muslim scholars, on the basis of this verse have derived that the witness of a woman carries half the weight of that of a man. Furthermore, most of them also hold that a woman's witness is not acceptable in cases of criminal proceedings. In my opinion, due to the reasons that follow, such derivations on the basis of the referred verse are not correct.

A close look at the verse shows that:

Contrary to the other verses relating to directives regarding any laws, which address the state or the collectivity, for example the verses regarding punishments etc, this verse addresses the common man. The verse under consideration does not relate to the law, it is rather an advice to the common man in a matter, which has the potential of developing a conflict between two or more individuals. The verse states that when two or more individuals enter into an agreement for a loan for a fixed period of time, they should write down their agreement, to avoid any misunderstandings in future. As a further safeguard against such misunderstandings, they should make two men a witness to the arrangement. In case they cannot find two men, then they may replace one man by two women, so that if any one of the women confuses her testimony, the other may help her. Obviously, if this was a legal directive, it would have addressed the state. It would then have stated something like: 'If a matter pertaining to a conflict regarding a loan for a specified period is brought to you, decide it on the basis of the written contract. The contract, to be valid, must be testified by two men or one man and two women'. In other words, the content of this verse, if understood in the proper context and style, does not allow us to say that the testimony of a woman, in the eyes of the Qur'an , carries half as much weight as that of a man.

In the light of the above explanation, we may say that the Qur'an has advised the individuals to follow the given guidelines in matters pertaining to deferred financial transactions. If any individual, due to any reason, does not follow these guidelines, he is not only likely to suffer a loss but may also be held answerable on the Day of Judgment for ignoring the commands of his Lord. Nevertheless, as far as his legal financial claim is concerned, the court may, if it is satisfied, give a decision in his favor on the basis of the testimony of just one woman. While, on the other hand, if the court is not convinced of his claim, it may give a decision against him even if he presents ten men as witnesses for his claim.

This verse relates specifically to witnesses on a document. The choice in the case of witnesses on a document is with those who are a party to the contract that is being written down in the document. For example, if I have to write a sale deed for my house, I am free to choose the persons, whom I want to make witnesses thereof. However, on the other hand, the choice of witnesses to a crime or to an accident or to any scene is not with any individual. Whoever - whether man, woman or child - is present and has seen the incident may stand as a witness thereof. There is absolutely no relationship between the two kinds of witnesses. In the first case, the decision is in our own hands. We may appoint the person of our choice as a witness on a document. While in the second case, the decision is not in our hands. Whoever is present at the scene shall and can be taken as a witness thereof. Thus we cannot say that the witness of a woman in cases other than witnessing a document will be affected by this verse.

On the basis of the above two points, I believe that the whole concept regarding the witness of a woman is based on false grounds. I do not think that there is any basis to hold the view that a woman's witness, according to the teachings of Islam, is half as reliable as that of a man.

I believe that after stating my point of view regarding the witness of a woman, I do not need to give an answer to your specific question.

Source