Why Muslims get DEPRESSED!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Globalpeace

Banned
Asslamo Allaikum,

Been working with 2 brothers, lately:

1) First one has been in Prison for a while
2) Second one is a practising brother who is seriously depressed & feels that he is no longer a Muslim; alhumdolillah he is getting better now

I am not a psychologist by any means but my mind can’t reconcile as to why/how “Muslims” get depressed. Surely we all have ups and downs but what I find is that most Brothers/Sisters in their “down” FAIL to stick to their routine!

People smoke, drink, use drugs, use *!*!*!*!ography and turn to other Haram stuff because they need a “Comfort Factor”! Why not have “Halal Comfort Factors” in your life and then when you are “down” your “Halal Comfort Factors” drag you out!

It’s like working out; some days (maybe weeks) you don’t feel like going to the gym…but you STICK to a routine till the routine drags you out of the hole that you have dug for yourself.

Problem is sticking to a routine & YES sometimes you have to PRAY even though your heart and mind is not 100% with it; but if you stick with it (or at it) the promise of Allah (SWT) will be fulfilled and the Help of Allah (SWT) will come to your rescue!

Life is simple we complicate it and then it gets tangled & because we can’t untangle it; we get depressed.

Turn to Allah (SWT) in all our circumstances and situations!

Salaamalikum brother Globalpeace,

We've missed you, about time you thought about us. :SMILY139:

I highly recommend them and everyone else to read "Don't Be Sad" by Aaidh ibn Abdullah Al-Qarni.

ditta

Alhamdu'Lillaah
Staff member
Asalamu Alykum,

Well whenever i feel down, i read Surah Al-Rahman, i feel it lifts you up. Inshallah i do this everyday so i remember Allah (S.W.T).

Alhamdulilah

Wasalam

hafz

It is not that simple , depression is a complex illness that effects different people in different ways .There are many different illnesses of the mind and it is important to get depression treated quickly.
In this day and age we are effected by many things, like additives in our food like aspartame known to cause depression ,msg,mercury,alminium ,radio frequency radiation like from mobile phones etc.,vaccinations and immunisations .There are so many contributing factors and generally speaking our diets are not good either .We don't consume enough omega3's and other nutrients necessary for our brain to function .We rely far to much on conventional medicines which do not cure but simply treat the symptoms and end up making us worst then when we started.
Depression is treatable even herbally , it is better to seek cure .

"...They asked: 'Messenger of Allah, should we seek medical treatment?' He said: 'Yes. Servants of Allah. Seek medical treatment because Allah has not created an illness without creating a cure for it, with the exception of one illness.' They asked which illness was that. The Prophet answered: 'Old age.'..."

(Related by Abu Dawood, At-Tirmizi, Ibn Majah,
Al-Bukhari in Al-Addab Al Mufrad, Ahmed and others)

Abdul-Raheem

Signing Out.....
It is not that simple , depression is a complex illness that effects different people in different ways .There are many different illnesses of the mind and it is important to get depression treated quickly.
In this day and age we are effected by many things, like additives in our food like aspartame known to cause depression ,msg,mercury,alminium ,radio frequency radiation like from mobile phones etc.,vaccinations and immunisations .There are so many contributing factors and generally speaking our diets are not good either .We don't consume enough omega3's and other nutrients necessary for our brain to function .We rely far to much on conventional medicines which do not cure but simply treat the symptoms and end up making us worst then when we started.
Depression is treatable even herbally , it is better to seek cure .

"...They asked: 'Messenger of Allah, should we seek medical treatment?' He said: 'Yes. Servants of Allah. Seek medical treatment because Allah has not created an illness without creating a cure for it, with the exception of one illness.' They asked which illness was that. The Prophet answered: 'Old age.'..."

(Related by Abu Dawood, At-Tirmizi, Ibn Majah,
Al-Bukhari in Al-Addab Al Mufrad, Ahmed and others)

:salam2:

Or the underlying cause could just be a lack of iman......

Allah knows best

wasalam

Love my islam

:salam2: brother global peace
We miss your thughts and your humor around here. Please do keep visiting us. Excellent article. I was having my annaual review at work with my manager and he was telling me all the positive things I bring to work, I told him life thaught me that. He said " yes but in same sitiuation a person can go either way".
When Allah tested me it was Allah I turned to. I found Quraan was my best therepy. Every single time I came out with a new positive attitude. Every time I thought there was no one to talk to I talked to Allah. And every time He listened. When we put our trust in Allah we are never dissapointed.

hafz

Brother Abdul-Raheem , you have no idea about depression.Depression is an illness not a state of the mind .
Please refrain from such comments because it shows a lack of sensitivity and insight. I have known many people who suffered depression it starts very mildly which is where people think its about mood or frame of mind but the patient does get worse much worse .

Happy 2BA Muslim

Islamophilic

In al-Saheehayn it was reported from Ibn ‘Abbaas that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to say, when he felt distressed:

“La ilaaha ill-Allaah al-‘Azeem ul-Haleem, Laa ilaaha ill-Allaah Rabb il-‘arsh il-‘azeem, Laa ilaaha ill-Allaah Rabb is-samawaati wa Rabb il-ard wa Rabb il-‘arsh il-kareem (there is no god except Allaah, the All-Mighty, the Forbearing; there is no god except Allaah, the Lord of the Mighty Throne; there is no god except Allaah, Lord of the heavens, Lord of the earth and Lord of the noble Throne).”

And it was reported from Anas (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to say, when something upset him:

“Yaa Hayyu yaa Qayyoom, bi Rahmatika astagheeth (O Ever-Living One, O Everlasting One, by Your mercy I seek help).”

And it was reported that Asmaa’ bint ‘Umays (may Allaah be pleased with her) said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said to me:

“Shall I not teach you some words to say when you feel distressed? ‘Allaah, Allaah, Rabbee laa ushriku bihi shay’an (Allaah, Allaah, my Lord, I do not associate anything with Him).’”

It was reported from ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Mas’ood that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said:

“No person suffers any anxiety or grief, and says:

‘Allaahumma innee ‘abduka wa ibn ‘abdika wa ibn amatika, naasiyati bi yadika, maadin fiyya hukmuka, ‘adlun fiyya qadaa’uka, as’aluka bi kulli ismin huwa laka sammayta bihi nafsaka aw anzaltahu fi kitaabika aw ‘allamtahu ahadan min khalqika aw ista’tharta bihi fi ‘ilm il-ghaybi ‘andak an taj’ala al-Qur’aana rabee’ qalbi wa noor sadri wa jalaa’a huzni wa dhahaaba hammi (O Allaah, I am Your slave, son of Your slave, son of Your female slave, my forelock is in Your hand, Your command over me is forever executed and Your decree over me is just. I ask You by every Name belonging to You which You named Yourself with, or revealed in Your Book, or You taught to any of Your creation, or You have preserved in the knowledge of the unseen with You, that You make the Qur’aan the life of my heart and the light of my breast, and a departure for my sorrow and a release for my anxiety)’

- but Allaah will take away his sorrow and grief, and give him in their stead joy.”

Al-Kalim al-Tayyib by Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah, edited by Shaykh al-Albaani, p. 72

Globalpeace

Banned
Asslamo Allaikum,

Sorry for the misunderstandiung.

Medical reasons for depression accepted and counted.

1) I was merely referring to depression due to "stress" from daily life and what I said i.e. "sticking to a routine" is also sound and prudent medical advice.

2) Religion is also medically accepted to be a prudent stress-buster.

I hope 1 & 2 answer your queries, Insha'Allah.

Brother Abdul-Raheem , you have no idea about depression.Depression is an illness not a state of the mind .
Please refrain from such comments because it shows a lack of sensitivity and insight. I have known many people who suffered depression it starts very mildly which is where people think its about mood or frame of mind but the patient does get worse much worse .

Abdul-Raheem

Signing Out.....

I apologise if my comment offended you in anyway. I did not mean to imply that depression is a lack of iman. I just meant to say that it could also be a by-product of it. Sometimes when people are struck with difficulties, they cannot cope, it just gets too much. But if one has a strong trust in Allah swt, it can be a source of tranquility and solace. But what do I know, I'm no psychologist, just an 18yr old guy stuck somewhere in London :eek:

wasalam

hafz

Brother abdul raheem and Globalpeace ,Don't worry insha-allah ,it's just a misunderstanding , thankyou for being considerate enough to want put it right.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salam,

I am a trained cousenlor. I work with depressed clients. I know that a person's sprituality is directly related to a promising outcome. Faith gives us the backbone to overcome any adversity. Islam, particularily, stresses the need for us to be active. Depression is inactivity. Prayer is one of the simplest but most effective treatment to depression. You become engaged; the focus changes from an internal sense of hopelessness and helplessness to joining in with the magnitude of creation to sing praises of the Creator.

There are actually studies conducted to show the positive correlation between prayer and mental hygene.

PS. To my 18 year old brother...wisdom does not have age parameters.

Globalpeace

Banned
Stress & Depression in the Ummah!

W-Salam,

In my opinion (anecdotal offcourse); there appears to be an increase in the number of Muslims suffering from stress (from daily life) and subsequently leading to depression.

I know Brothers/Sisters who are popping pills like there is no tomorrow.

Lets put the medical reasons for this aside for a moment!

Lets also put the facts aside that our Mosques/Community centres and "Leaders" are failing us miserably!

Neverthless, there is something fundamentally wrong with this picture of the Ummah when Allah (SWT) clearly equates Eeman with inner peace and tranquility in the Qur'aan....

When you get a chance; please post some thoughts as I (don't know about others) will be much interested in your professional views, Insha'Allah.

Meanwhile any disagreements in your professional opinion about my recommendations:

1) Develop Halal Comfort factors
2) Stick to your rourtine in days when you are down
3) Resort to Allah (SWT) alone..

I am not a cousenlor but the 3 above almost always work with most people.

Salam,

I am a trained cousenlor. I work with depressed clients. I know that a person's sprituality is directly related to a promising outcome. Faith gives us the backbone to overcome any adversity. Islam, particularily, stresses the need for us to be active. Depression is inactivity. Prayer is one of the simplest but most effective treatment to depression. You become engaged; the focus changes from an internal sense of hopelessness and helplessness to joining in with the magnitude of creation to sing praises of the Creator.

There are actually studies conducted to show the positive correlation between prayer and mental hygene.

PS. To my 18 year old brother...wisdom does not have age parameters.

hafz

Mirajmon , I am not a counsellor but have dealt with depressed people at different levels what you are saying is not wrong but it is not the whole picture either.
Off topic I found this on another site

SORRY I WAS MEANT TO EDIT THE ARTICLE BUT GOT CAUGHT UP DOING OTHER THINGS AND FORGOT ABOUT IT, I WASNT TRYING TO PROMOTE HINDUISM, HONESTLY!I'VE DELETED IT NO TIME TO EDIT.

Globalpeace

Banned
How prayer accelerates the treatment of the sick!

Your Lord says, "Call on Me and I will answer you. Those who are too proud to worship Me will enter Hell abject." (Qur'an, 40:60)

According to the Qur'an, prayer, meaning "calling, giving expression, requesting, seeking help," is a person's turning sincerely to Allah, and seeking help from Him, the Almighty, the Compassionate and Merciful, in the knowledge that he is a dependent being. Illness is one of those instances when a person feels this dependence most and draws closer to Allah. Furthermore, sickness is a test, devised in His Wisdom, that takes place by His Will, and is a warning to remind people of the transience and imperfection of this life, and is also a source of recompense in the Hereafter for the patient and submissive.

Those without faith, on the other hand, imagine that the way to recovery is through doctors, medicines or the advanced technological capabilities of modern science. They never pause to think that it is Allah Who causes their physical system to function when they are in good health, or Who creates the healing medicines and doctors when they are ill. Many turn only to Allah when they arrive at the opinion that doctors and medicines are inadequate. People in such situations seek help only from Allah, realising that only He can free them from their difficulty. Allah has revealed this mindset in a verse:

When harm touches man, he calls on Us, lying on his side or sitting down or standing up. Then when We remove the harm from him he carries on as if he had never called on Us when the harm first touched him. In that way We make what they have done appear good to the profligate. (Qur'an, 10:12)

The fact is, however, that even in good health, or without tribulations or other difficulties, a person must pray and give thanks to Allah for the comforts, good health and all the other blessings He has imparted.

One very important aspect of prayer is this: In addition to praying out loud, it is also important for a person to make every effort to pray through his or her deeds. Prayer by action means doing everything possible to attain a certain wish. For example, in addition to praying, a sick person may also have to visit an expert doctor, use medicines that will be of benefit, and receive hospital treatment if necessary, or some other form of special care. Because, Allah has linked everything that happens in this world to specific causes. Everything in the world and in the universe happens in accordance with these causes. Therefore, the individual must take the requisite measures in accordance with these causes, and yet await the outcome from Allah, with humility, submission and patience, in the knowledge that it is He Who brings about their results.

The positive effect of faith and prayer on the sick and the way these accelerate treatment is a matter that has attracted the attention of and is recommended by doctors. Under the heading "God and Health: Is Religion Good Medicine? Why Science Is Starting to Believe," the 10 November, 2003, edition of the famous magazine Newsweek took the curative effect of religion as its cover story. It reported that faith in God raised people's morale and helped them recover more easily, and that science had also begun to believe that people with religious faith recover more easily and quickly. According to a Newsweek survey, 72% of Americans say they believe that praying can cure someone and that prayer facilitates recovery. Research in Great Britain and the USA has also concluded that prayer reduces patients' symptoms and accelerates the recovery process.

According to research conducted at Michigan University, depression and stress are observed to lesser extent in the devout. And, according to findings at Rush University in Chicago, the early death rate among people who worship and pray regularly is some 25% lower than in those with no religious convictions. Another study conducted on 750 people, who underwent angiocardiography, proved scientifically the "curative power of prayer." It was established that the death rate among heart patients who prayed decreased by 30% within a year after their operations.

Examples of the prayers mentioned in the Qur'an are:

And Ayyub when he called out to his Lord, "Great harm has afflicted me and You are the Most Merciful of the merciful," We responded to him and removed from him the harm which was afflicting him and restored his family to him, and the same again with them, as a mercy direct from Us and a Reminder to all worshippers. (Qur'an, 21:83)

And Dhu'n-Nun [Yunus] when he left in anger and thought We would not punish him. He called out in the pitch darkness: "There is no god but You! Glory be to You! Truly I have been one of the wrongdoers." We responded to him and rescued him from his grief. That is how We rescue the believers. (Qur'an, 21:87-88)

And Zakariyya when he called out to his Lord, "My Lord, do not leave me on my own, though You are the Best of Inheritors." We responded to him and gave him Yahya, restoring for him his wife's fertility. They outdid one another in good actions, calling out to Us in yearning and in awe, and humbling themselves to Us. (Qur'an, 21:89-90)

Nuh called out to Us and what an excellent Responder We are! (Qur'an, 37:75)

As has already been stated, prayer must not only be for alleviation of sickness, or other mundane problems. A sincere believer must always pray to Allah and accept whatever comes from Him. The fact that the benefits of prayer revealed in many verses of the Qur'an are now being recognised scientifically, once again reveals the miraculous nature of the Qur'an.

If My servants ask you about Me, I am near. I answer the call of the caller when he calls on Me. They should therefore respond to Me and believe in Me so that hopefully they will be rightly guided. (Qur'an, 2:186)

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salam,

My response was simplistic. However, it is important to understand that traditional moders of therapy are ineffective. The basis of therapy are built on false premises. They stress the need of ego development. In other words the belief in therpy starts with the individual needs to relate to fulfilling his or needs. Faith teaches us there is no I. ..medication is the response to depression. Each day a new wonderdrug comes along...there are few studies conducted to validate the use of drugs...most of the testing is done in South America and Asia. The side effects are deadly.
So why are so many Muslims depressed. We live in world that is attempting to emasculate our men. It is difficult enough trying to live a life as a Muslim woman. However, our men pay a large price. Our brothers are ridiculed. Our brothers are not seen as serious Allah fearing men. We have tainted pictures of madmen. It is effecting our psyche. In a sense our brothers are on the defense at all times. The pain becomes very strong.. throughout history men have resorted to alchohol and drugs to relieve this pain. This pain is very real. The human potential is being robbed. This reduces a person to a very lonely human being.
Islam has always suggested that we socialize. We are a community. I strongly suggest that our brothers help each other. The answers lie within our community. Our Beloved Prophet is our leader. We have the role model to follow. It is our burden to look after each other. Our brothers have to extend a hand and hold on to each other. Each moment we focus on being depressed we are denying the existence of others, the focus is me. The oh why's hold our mind. The strength of brotherhood encourages a larger focus.
Muslims are being tested. We have to decide what values matter in our life..until a person comes to terms with what is important..there is a state of confusion...depression is an attachement to the past..and a sense of loss..brotherhood is sense of the here and the now to help to the next moment...anxiety and worry are fundamentally a lack of belief.
Brothers take the Rope of Allah and rally together, take each others hands and make us a stong ummah. Your siters are right here with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.