Turkey..Still Secular??

apocalypse77

Ive not been reading up the news lately so I just wana know this..esp those from Turkey..Is Turkey still secular or is it trying to revive to become more Islamic stae?And is the women still ban from wearing Hijabs?

Globalpeace

Banned
Asslamo Allaikum,

Turkish parliament is choosing the next candidate for president & Abdullah Gül (from the Muslim party) is the hot favourite...Please make dua that he gets selected and then becomes the next president, Insha'Allah.

Slowly; the situation is getting better!

Ive not been reading up the news lately so I just wana know this..esp those from Turkey..Is Turkey still secular or is it trying to revive to become more Islamic stae?And is the women still ban from wearing Hijabs?

Proud2BeHumble

Seek Truth, Be Happy
Turkey

Tayyip ERDOGAN is the prime minister of Turkey. Erdoğan announced on April 24, 2007 that Gül will be the Justice and Development Party candidate in the 2007 presidential election. Previously, there had been speculation that Erdoğan himself would be the party's candidate, which had provoked substantial opposition from secularists.

However, In an unusually strong statement, the Turkish Armed Forces say it is the defender of the republic's secular system. “It should not be forgotten that the Turkish armed forces are a side in this debate and are a staunch defender of secularism. "When necessary, it will display its attitudes and actions very clearly. No one should doubt that,” the statement says.

On 27th April Parliament will either elect Foreign Minister Abdullah Gül as Turkey's 11th president - if he can secure the votes of 367, or will open the way for early elections.

apocalypse77

Really, why would any Muslim country would idiotically wanabe too secular?Maybe Turkey can learn something from Malaysia and Indonesia

what i mean..pple have the right to practist their religion and musslims must still have shariah law..but the non muslims are allowed to pacrtise whatever religion they want i think what im trying to stress is tolerance and sensitivity of other's religion and culture..turkey has the choice and shld take this opportunity to show it can be a multiucultural multi religious country

Jihan

i think its soo horrible that turkey made it against the law to wear hijaab, in order 'to catch up' with western civilization. does anybody know the details to the turkey govermnent, because i've seen in some parts they do wear hijab.