Questions from a "Prospective Convert" 1.0

mnemonicus

:salam2:

Everyone:

I am a "prospective convert" for lack of a better term (but for all intents and purposes, I am a Muslim, though I have never spoken shahada officially). Although I am quite new to practicing Islam, I know a thing or two about Islam, but probably not as much or with as much clarity and many of you. So, I hope to learn from you all. What I have is a love for God - Allah (swt) - the One and Only, and all His prophets, especially Muhammad (pbuh). I suppose this is all I need to get going, eh? You see, God has been very good and kind to me to have led me where I am, and for the first time in my life, I am quite comfortable with where I am spiritually. I feel I have found the gate to the path that leads to God and paradise. Related to this, I want to gather as much information and advice as I can from each of you believers, and I will give back to you what I can!

Let me as you some questions about converting and growing as a Muslim right off the bat, and getting strong as quickly as I can.

1. If I had the opportunity, would you recommend going on the pilgrimmage very soon after converting, or perhaps (having been familiar with Islam) going on the pilgrimmage to make an 'official' covnersion? I think that would be a very unique experience. I heard that it is a great thing to do if one can afford it, and if one has the time to do it. I'm thinking of going to the American University in Cairo for a semester or two to learn Arabic in an Arabic environment, and while I'm there, go on the pilgrimmage. I might do this within a a year or two; I'm leaning toward probably doing so. What do you think?

2. What is the best English translation of al-Quran and the traditions? I have a Yusuf Ali Qur'an right now, and little else but history books and secondary scholarship and a some other stuff less related to straight-up canonical religious documents.

3. How do you pick a masjid to attend? Do you just go out and sample a bunch? I live in the Rochester, NY area; any recommendations? I have few Muslim friends (really, only one - he's a mentor and professor of mine - but I am wary of approaching him about converting, because I am his student. It might be inappropriate at this time).

4. In the coming decades of my life, I want to learn about Islam from someone who is an Arabic speaker and is well-respected. Am I at a disadvantage for being an American, and would assume that I would have to go out of the country to do it? Also - I am politically quite liberal, though I am culturally much closer to Islam in modesty and morality and all that good stuff. Basically, what do I have to do to learn from someone who is reputable? What pre-requisite learning would I have to do after having learned sufficient Arabic? How long should I be a Muslim before trying to secure some kind of tutoring and mentoring of this sort?

I have about a million questions... and I'm sure I'll many more as they come to me.

Thanks for all your advice and input.

:wasalam:

alkathiri

As-Shafaa'i(Brother)

Let me as you some questions about converting and growing as a Muslim right off the bat, and getting strong as quickly as I can.

1. If I had the opportunity, would you recommend going on the pilgrimmage very soon after converting, or perhaps (having been familiar with Islam) going on the pilgrimmage to make an 'official' covnersion? I think that would be a very unique experience. I heard that it is a great thing to do if one can afford it, and if one has the time to do it. I'm thinking of going to the American University in Cairo for a semester or two to learn Arabic in an Arabic environment, and while I'm there, go on the pilgrimmage. I might do this within a a year or two; I'm leaning toward probably doing so. What do you think?

2. What is the best English translation of al-Quran and the traditions? I have a Yusuf Ali Qur'an right now, and little else but history books and secondary scholarship and a some other stuff less related to straight-up canonical religious documents.

3. How do you pick a masjid to attend? Do you just go out and sample a bunch? I live in the Rochester, NY area; any recommendations? I have few Muslim friends (really, only one - he's a mentor and professor of mine - but I am wary of approaching him about converting, because I am his student. It might be inappropriate at this time).

4. In the coming decades of my life, I want to learn about Islam from someone who is an Arabic speaker and is well-respected. Am I at a disadvantage for being an American, and would assume that I would have to go out of the country to do it? Also - I am politically quite liberal, though I am culturally much closer to Islam in modesty and morality and all that good stuff. Basically, what do I have to do to learn from someone who is reputable? What pre-requisite learning would I have to do after having learned sufficient Arabic? How long should I be a Muslim before trying to secure some kind of tutoring and mentoring of this sort?

I have about a million questions... and I'm sure I'll many more as they come to me.

Thanks for all your advice and input.

:wasalam:

your intro shows that u are humble.Alhamdulilah

Answers to your question

1) go and learn about islam like tawheed , aqeedah, fiqh especially prayers , then go for hajj...But remember there are certain criterias to be met before u go for hajj..Im not too sure about the criteria but go and read it up
Learning Arabic is good but it should not be a criteria for u when deciding whether to go for hajj

2) I guess Yusuf Ali is sufficient

3) If i were u , i will go to the mosque nearest to ur house so that u can pray for every prayer in congregation.And plz go to a sunni mosque. Dont go to a shia mosque where sometimes they have a picture of an imam in the mosque. Ask around if u are not sure. Approaching ur mentor would be good , i dont understand why u are wary

4) Well , do u have an islamic center near your house. Ask them whether there have arabic courses...taught by native arabs

I dont understand what u mean by tutoring?
Is it dawaa....

As long as u are sure with ur knowledge you are saying, u can start tutoring anytime

My humble advice is since u know islam is the truth, well go to the mosque and say your shahada immediately...because u dont know when u are going to die....u can also say it alone

If u have questions feel free to ask . A million? Be sure to ask...i will be waiting for it....
Asking an imam/ islamic scholar would be even better...

i would also like to welcome u to this site...:SMILY259:

Hope

Welcome to the site and Insha'Allah to Islam.

I have downloaded the translation of the Quran from www.divineislam.com. It is really clear and easy to understand, but for some reason I am unable to go onto that site today.

This link was sent to me today and is also very easy to read and understand
http://www.road-to-heaven.com/quran/english/112.htm

I hope u find them useful.

I hope u find what you are looking for and take your Shahaada very soon Insha'Allah

abdullah1111

assalamu alaykum,

Welcome to islam!!!

I would go on hajj as soon as you can, because you dont know when you are going to die. You dont need to know so much to go on hajj, as you can learn so much while you are there. You can learn the rights of hajj and umra there too. As for a translation of the quran i have had a few, and like to compare translations and explanations of verses between them to get a clearer picture of what it really means. To pick a mosque? Not sure on that one, just go to the ones available and see whichone you feel more comfy with, making sure they are on the correct belief.

salams um abdullah

Bawar

Struggling2Surrender
dear brother assalamu alaikum
first of all, you need to take shahadah as this is more important than anything in this world. it is proclamation of faith. it leaves no place in heart for any dieties, other than Allah swt, the one and only.

islam is a way of life, and it is a lifelong process. the knowledge of islam is as vast as you can imagine, namely tafseer (explanation of quranic verses), hadith (sayings of prophet Muhammad pbuh), fiqh (knowledge that deals with how to worship etc.) tajweed ( how to recite Quran correctly) Sarf and Nahwa (knowledge and grammar of Arabic languae), islamic history, islamic theology.... you name it
so, my point is, do not rush, take one step at a time and befriend pious and practicing muslim brothers.
try to perform as many daily prayers with congregation as possible. you can go to any mosque, but be wary of those minority who have distorted the message of islam. you will learn all this by learning more about islam
eventhough, pilgrimage to macca is a fardh (compulsory upon every muslim man/woman when they can afford it), i would say it is a bit too early for you.
i think you will appreciate the beauty of pilgrimage in its entirity only after you have implemented the other 4 pillars of islam.
remember that Allah swt has perfected the teachings of islam upon muslims in the duration of 23 years
never burden yourself with everything at once as Allah swt says in Quran "Let there be no compulsion in religion" Albaqara, Verse 256

finally, seek knowledge, it opens your eyes and liberates you from depending on other's opinions

Wassalam dear brother

samiha

---------
Staff member

Everyone:

I am a "prospective convert" for lack of a better term (but for all intents and purposes, I am a Muslim, though I have never spoken shahada officially). Although I am quite new to practicing Islam, I know a thing or two about Islam, but probably not as much or with as much clarity and many of you. So, I hope to learn from you all. What I have is a love for God - Allah (swt) - the One and Only, and all His prophets, especially Muhammad (pbuh). I suppose this is all I need to get going, eh? You see, God has been very good and kind to me to have led me where I am, and for the first time in my life, I am quite comfortable with where I am spiritually. I feel I have found the gate to the path that leads to God and paradise. Related to this, I want to gather as much information and advice as I can from each of you believers, and I will give back to you what I can!

wa alaykum salam...

welcome to the site! I hope you learn a lot from us, As I hope we do from you! Insha'Allah.

Insha'Allah, but in your heart, if you know you're a Muslim. You might want to go ahead and say the Shahadah. You know it's the Truth, Allah has guided you... so why wait! By Allah, you could die tomorrow, today, the next second, and would you rather not do that in the fold of Islam?

If you had the opportunity, I'd say not to as of yet. I mean yes, it's a great experience but you have to remember,
1. only Muslims are allowed to go (meaning they only get Visas or whatever i think... correct me if i'm wrong) and
2. there are many rites and rituals you have to know

EVEN MUSLIMS go to Hajj and make mistakes. Imagine that? Going all the way over there to worship Allah and make your pilgramage and still not be able to do it properly. So take your time. Assuredly going to Hajj is wonderful, and you should do it after you're able, but don't take too much on your boat as of yet ok?

I would suggest, as others have:

The translation of the Noble Quran by Muhammad Taqi-ud-Din Al-Hilali & Muhammad Muhsin Khan

Includes a summarized version of At-Tabari, Al-Qurtubi and Ibn Kathir with comments from Sahih Al-Bukhari.

This is a pretty authentic translation. Here's the link:

http://muttaqun.com/quran/

Hope it helps...

this I'm not sure about. I live in the Midwest, and there's only one masjid in our vicinity so that's where my father goes. You can go to www.Islamicfinder.org and find a Masjid in your area Insha'Allah.

(however, from my point of view, approaching your professor is fine! I mean it really is no big deal. In Islam we are brother and sisters in faith, and if you express your interest, I'm sure he could help you.)

I'm sorry i can't really answer the last one. May Allah guide you and help you in all your Affairs.

Asking questions is the best way to get answers. :)

mnemonicus

Thanks to all of you. I appreciate all your thoughts, and your loving advice; it's good to see that there is a community of people on this earth that is still bound by love.

Some of you have intimated that I can convert by myself by speaking the words of shahada. I've done that... I believe those words, and I have for quite some time. I've just never done it in front of people, and I've never made a big fuss out of it. I think it's something very personal, coming the deep, still parts of my being - my essence, really. And God knows that I mean and understand those words. I remember them as best I can from day to day, and I hope to make that declaration more full, weighty, and true as I continue on in life. I just wasn't sure if I should do it publically... I think I will nonetheless when the time is right, such as when I join a masjid to attend regularly.

Forgive me if I seem uncertain or indecisive. I am often exactly that... My life isn't exactly the most stable, and my future isn't exactly neatly planned out... and so I worry. But through supplication, prayer, and worship of God over many years, I've been led exactly here, where you know see me. Yes, God has always been so kind to me, and I see no reason why He would stop being what He is to me - the Most Kind and Compassionate. The few days I've been a member here, I feel encouraged.

Thanks.

samiha

---------
Staff member
Thanks to all of you. I appreciate all your thoughts, and your loving advice; it's good to see that there is a community of people on this earth that is still bound by love.

Hey, Assalamu alaykum. ;) I start with the greetings of peace becaaaussee, if you truly believe in the Shahadah and proclaim it, REGARDLESS of whether it is in front of witnesses, you are a Muslim! Alhamdulillah! I will try to find that evidence for you Insha'Allah.

And, if you believe Islam, then we are all your brothers and sisters in Islam. Faith is thicker then water. ;) lol... well that was modified, but truly, we are an Ummah here and I love you all for the sake of Allah. :)

Some of you have intimated that I can convert by myself by speaking the words of shahada. I've done that... I believe those words, and I have for quite some time. I've just never done it in front of people, and I've never made a big fuss out of it. I think it's something very personal, coming the deep, still parts of my being - my essence, really. And God knows that I mean and understand those words. I remember them as best I can from day to day, and I hope to make that declaration more full, weighty, and true as I continue on in life. I just wasn't sure if I should do it publically... I think I will nonetheless when the time is right, such as when I join a masjid to attend regularly.

Masha'Allah your intentions are very beautiful, and May Allah help you in achieving them!! Really, it's lovely that you are working hard towards what you believe, May your Imaan continue to increase and come to the truth. Ameen.

Here, read this... I know you know it probably :p but still good to read:

The objective of this handout is to correct a false idea spread among those willing to adopt Islam as their faith. Some people face difficulties on the basis of their mistaken belief that entering into the Islamic fold requires an announcement from the concerned person in the presence of high ranking scholars or sheikhs, or reporting this act to the courts or other authorities. It is also thought that the act of accepting Islam, should, as a condition, have a certificate issued by the authorities as evidence to that effect.

We wish to clarify that the whole matter is very easy and that none of the above conditions or obligations are required. For Allah, the Almighty is above all comprehension and knows well the secrets of all hearts. Nevertheless, those who wish to adopt Islam as their religion are advised to register themselves as Muslims with the concerned governmental agency, as this procedure may facilitate many matters for them including the possibility of performing Hajj and Umrah.

If anyone has a real desire to be a Muslim and has the full conviction and strong belief that Islam is the true religion ordained by Allah (SWT) for all human beings, he should pronounce the "Shahada" (testimony of faith) without further delay. The Holy Qur'an is explicit in this regard, as Allah (SWT) has stated.

"Truly, the Religion in the sight of Allah is Islam." (3:19)

In another verse of the Holy Qur'an, Allah (SWT) has stated:

"And whosoever desires a religion -other that Islam, never will it be accepted of him, and in the Hereafter he will be in the ranks of those who are lost." (3:85)

In addition, Islam is the only Religion prevailing over all other religions, Allah (SWT) has stated in the Holy Qur'an:

"And to thee We have sent the Book in truth, (This Qur'an) confirming the scripture that came before it, and a witness over it..." (5:48)

Muhammad, the Prophet of Allah (Peace and blessing of Allah be upon him), said:

"Islam is based on five pillars: testifying that there is no god worthy to be worshipped but Allah, that Muhammad is the messenger of Allah and His servant; performing the prayer; paying the Zakat (obligatory charity); fasting the month of Ramadan; and performing Hajj."

The Shahada can be declared as follows:

"ASH-HADU ANLAA ILAHA ILLA ALLAH WA ASH HADUANNAMUHAMMADANABDUHUWA RASUULUH."

The English translation is:

"I bear witness that there is no deity worthy to be worshipped but Allah, and I bear witness that Muhammad is His servant and messenger."

However, it would not be sufficient for anyone to utter only this testimony orally either in private or in public. One should believe in it from the heart with a firm conviction and unshakable faith. If he is truly sincere and complies with the teachings of Islam in his daily life he will find himself a newborn person.

This will move him to strive more and more to improve his character and draw nearer to perfection. The light of the living faith will fill his heart until he becomes the embodiment of that faith.

What should be next after declaring the testimony of faith (Shahada) and then becoming a Muslim? He should know the real concept underlying this testimony, which means accepting the Oneness of Allah and the Prophet Muhammad (PBUH), as the last of the Prophets, and meeting its requirements. He must behave accordingly applying this true faith to everything he says or does. What do the words of "Shahada" signify.

The significant point which every Muslim must know is the truth that there is no god to be worshipped other than Allah, (Glory be to Him). He is the only true God, Who Alone deserves to be worshipped, since He is the Giver of life and Sustainer and Nourisher of mankind and all creation with His unlimited bounties. Man must worship Allah, Who Alone is worthy of worship.

The second part of the "Shahada" i.e. "Wa ashhadu anna Muhammadan abduhu wa rasuluh" means that the Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) is the servant and chosen messenger of Allah. No one should be in any doubt about this matter. In fact, the Muslim has to obey the commands of the Prophet (PBUH), to believe in what he has said, to follow his Teachings, to avoid what he has forbidden, and to worship A11ah alone according to the message revealed to him.

What is the meaning of worship? It simply means rendering sincere service; showing reverence for Allah. In a deeper shade of meaning, it implies total submission and complete obedience to Allah's Commandments both in utterances and actions, whether explicit or implicit and in private or public.

Worship falls into two categories:

1. Visible (manifest or outward) 2. Invisible (concealed or inward)

Visible worship includes acts such as uttering the two parts of the "shahada", performing prayers, giving Zakat (obligatory charity), observing the fast in the month of Ramadan, performing Hajj, recitation of the Holy Qur'an, supplication, adoring Allah by praising Him, purifying our bodies before prayers, etc.

This type of worship is associated with the movement of the parts of human body, [actions].

Invisible worship is to believe in Allah, in the Day of Judgment, in the Hereafter, in the Angels, in the Books of Allah, in the Divine Decree of destiny (that good and bad are determined by Allah alone)

This type of worship does not involve movements of parts of the body but it surely has a bearing on one's heart which, subsequently, affects one's way of life (beliefs).

It should be borne in mind that worship not dedicated to Allah alone, will be rejected as one form of polytheism or "shirk", which amounts to apostasy, from the Islamic point of view.

The next step for a devotee newly converted to Islam is to purify himself by taking a bath (total ablution). He should then resolve to comply with all the principles and rules of Islam in their entirety. He disowns all forms of polytheism and false beliefs. He should reject evil and be righteous. Such rejection of evil and being righteous is one of the requisites of the motto of Islam that is, Lailaha Illal Laah.

Allah has stated in the Holy Qur'an:

"... whoever disbelieves in false deities and believes in Allah, hath grasped the most trustworthy handhold, that will never break..." (2:256)

We have to consider that when we declare from our hearts, "there is no god worthy to be worshipped but Allah." It implies on our part of love, devotion, faith and obedience to the rules of Islamic legislation which are legally binding on all Muslims. It is a requirement of "there is no god worthy to be worshipped but Allah," to love for the sake of Allah and to reject for the sake of Allah. This is the finest anchor of belief which make material the meaning of "AL-WALA" and "AL-BARA". It means that a Muslim should love and be loyal to his Muslim brothers. He should, as a practice, dissociate himself completely from the practices of unbelievers and refuse to be influenced by them, both in worldly and religious matters.

We conclude with a humble prayer to Allah that He may cleanse the hearts and souls of those who are genuine seekers of truth and may He bless the community of believers. Ameen.

Forgive me if I seem uncertain or indecisive. I am often exactly that... My life isn't exactly the most stable, and my future isn't exactly neatly planned out... and so I worry. But through supplication, prayer, and worship of God over many years, I've been led exactly here, where you know see me. Yes, God has always been so kind to me, and I see no reason why He would stop being what He is to me - the Most Kind and Compassionate. The few days I've been a member here, I feel encouraged.

I think that's very normal of you :) Nobody's life is completely stable. There are bumps in every road, and this life is a testing ground. If tests were easy then they wouldn't be tests would they!! lol, Subhan'Allah no they wouldn't. (i wish) Allah is Ar-Rahmaan nir Raheem, exactly as you said so don't ever lose hope. He has set up Qadr, devine predordainment, what will happen will happen. And He Allah (swt) test those best in deed to see if their faith is really just in tongue work and action or if the really believe. And if a person really believes then these test really are nothing compared to whatever will come next, so the best way is Patience.

I don't know if I'm making any sense. But I'm glad to have you here. :)

kayleigh

Thanks.

You don't absolutely have to say shahada in front of witnesses. At least this is what I've been told by several people and have read. The imam at the mosque I go to knows I haven't said it in congregation and has never suggested that I do so (and I'm sure he would have brought it up as I'm fairly close to his family and speak with him often). It is a covenant between you and Allah and all that is required is that you say it and believe in it. However, it might be nice to make it "official" to the public and I know some older Muslims who prefer it to a private shahada.

alkathiri

As-Shafaa'i(Brother)

In my opinion why it is good to say in front of other muslims is because imagine someone reverted to islam and he kept his revertion a secret....

if he were to die , at least the public knows that he is a muslim and can give him a proper burial according to islam ...

On ur shahada:
Allahu akbar, Allahuakbar, Allahuakbar...
Welcome my dear brother to islam....