A Twist Of Faith

Albint_Almuslima

Im Proud 2 B Me!
Asalam Alakum,

I read this today on the internet and i though i needed to share it with everyone. This is just a small example to all drivers and i advice you to please slow down when driving, there is no reason for you to speed even if you are late for work. Its not easy when you hit someone with a car, you either kill them, injure them, kill yourself or injure yourself. And i know this from personal experience when i got hit by a car a year ago. Dont rush, life is short so spend it well.

"A Twist of Faith"

Jawad took a long look at his speedometer before slowing down: 73 in a 55 zone. Fourth time in as many months. How could a guy get caught so often? When his car had slowed to 10 miles an hour, Jawad pulled over, but only partially. Let the cop worry about the potential traffic hazard. Maybe some other car will tweak his backside with a mirror.

The cop was stepping out of his car, the big pad in hand. Ali? Ali from mosque? Jawad sunk farther into his trench coat. This was worse than the coming ticket. A Muslim cop catching a guy from his own mosque. A guy who happened to be a little anxious to get home after a long day at the office. A guy that was scheduled to play cricket with him tomorrow. Jumping out of the car, he approached a man he saw every Friday, a man he'd never seen in uniform.

"Salaam,ya Ali. Fancy meeting you like this."

"Wasalaam, Jawad." No smile.

"Guess you caught me red-handed in a rush to see my wife and kids."

"Yeah, I guess."

Ali seemed uncertain. Good.

"I've seen some long days at the office lately. I'm afraid I've bent the rules a bit, just this once. Farah said something about chicken tikkah and kabobs tonight. Know what I mean?"

Jawad toed at a pebble on the pavement.

"I know what you mean. I also know that you have a reputation in our precinct."

Ouch! This was not going in the right direction. Time to change tactics.

"What'd you clock me at?"

"Seventy-one. Would you sit back in your car, please?"

"Now wait a minute here, Ali. I checked as soon as I saw you. I was barely nudging 65." The lie seemed to come easier with every ticket.

"Please, Jawad, in the car."

Flustered, Jawad hunched himself through the still-open door.
Slamming it shut, he stared at the dashboard. He was in no rush to open the window. The minutes ticked by.

Ali scribbled away on the pad. Why hadn't he asked for a driver's license? Whatever the reason, it would be a month before Jawad ever sat near this cop again in the mosque. A tap on the door jerked his head to the left.

There was Ali, a folded paper in hand. Jawad rolled down the window a mere two inches, just enough room for Ali to pass him the slip.

"Thanks." Jawad could not quite keep the sneer out of his voice.

Ali returned to his car without a word.

Jawad watched his retreat in the mirror. Jawad unfolded the
sheet of paper. How much was this one going to cost? Wait a minute. What was this? Some kind of joke?
Certainly not a ticket.

Jawad began to read:

Dear Jawad,

Once upon a time I had a daughter. She was six when killed by a car. You guessed it - a speeding driver. A fine and three months in jail, and the man was free. Free to hug his daughters. All three of them. I only had one, and I'm going to have to wait until heaven before I can ever hug her again. A thousand times I've tried to forgive that man. A thousand times I thought I had. Maybe I did, but I need to do it again.
Even now, pray for me. And be careful, My son is all I have left.

Ali

Jawad twisted around in time to see Ali's car pull away and head down the road. Jawad watched until it disappeared. A full 15 minutes later, he, too, pulled away and drove slowly home, praying for forgiveness and hugging a surprised wife and kids when he arrived.

Life is precious. Handle with care.

shaheeda35

strive4Jannah
:salam2:
Subhanallah!! What a story!! Over here drivers are crazy, (I'm in NY!) these people dont think about these things, just in a rush to be five minutes early!! I believe the cause of most accidents is a lack of patience, no one has it!! There are also a lot of drunk drivers who should not be behind the wheel. :astag:

ditta

Alhamdu'Lillaah
Staff member
Asalamu Alykum,

I got upto the bit where he checks how much got fined, i got distracted because my brother told me something, so i carried on reading and when i read he lost his daughter, it was like someone took a hammer and just smashed my heart in pieces. So painful.

I will Inshallah always take that in mind when i Inshallah pass my practical and theory tests.

Oh Allah helps us all.

Alhamdulilah

Wasalam

al-fajr

...ism..schism
Staff member

kinda makes me wanna stay OFF the wheel...couldnt bare the guilt esp if it was a kid...:girl3:

Asalaamalikum,

I believe the key to life and success is getting up early, that way you are not in a rush. The earlier you wake up, the more things you get done and the MORE patient you become. You can say there is somewhat of a direct relationship with waking up early and being patient.

My BMW (Bus Metro Walk) is pretty much accident-free lol--alhamdulillah

Ali_Ibrahim

Honestly, the cop is playing favorites and that's not fair. im muslim myself and i too would like to get off tickets as well but we have to understand that cops basically protect walking civilians and other vehicles. I think the story is great but i do think the guy is 1. playing favorites and 2. he should have given him a ticket as well. Yea the criminal of his daughter's death was free after 3 months, but what's a simple lecture going to do?...do you think he's going to pay attention to it the next time he gets on the road? no.. so therefore i think the officer should hand his badge over because in law, you have to charge every criminal or suspect equally. just because he sat next to him in the masjid means absolutely nothing, my uncle is a sherriff in my town and he used to get people off, but now he doesn't. That's how i think it should be from now on.!it's called doing your job. that's what you have to do, they serve and protect!

heck, i walk myself...and i've had speeding tickets.. i've played both rolls and im sure many have.. point is, you speed, your fined. not, you speed and your muslim, your free.!! that's why every cop in the academy gets asked the same question, will you practice fair and equality to all race and mankind?.. they say yes, they swear to arrest their own!....

Faruq

Makes me think of a time I was speeding and driving almost erratically to get home. I look back and hamdulillah that the cop pulled me over. I could've been the culprit of a good friend's murder. Or my death! Hamdulillah. We have to watch out for each other!
-Faruq/Tyler

Happy 2BA Muslim

Islamophilic
Honestly, the cop is playing favorites and that's not fair. im muslim myself and i too would like to get off tickets as well but we have to understand that cops basically protect walking civilians and other vehicles. I think the story is great but i do think the guy is 1. playing favorites and 2. he should have given him a ticket as well. Yea the criminal of his daughter's death was free after 3 months, but what's a simple lecture going to do?...do you think he's going to pay attention to it the next time he gets on the road? no.. so therefore i think the officer should hand his badge over because in law, you have to charge every criminal or suspect equally. just because he sat next to him in the masjid means absolutely nothing, my uncle is a sherriff in my town and he used to get people off, but now he doesn't. That's how i think it should be from now on.!it's called doing your job. that's what you have to do, they serve and protect!

heck, i walk myself...and i've had speeding tickets.. i've played both rolls and im sure many have.. point is, you speed, your fined. not, you speed and your muslim, your free.!! that's why every cop in the academy gets asked the same question, will you practice fair and equality to all race and mankind?.. they say yes, they swear to arrest their own!....

Yeah, but I think Jawad learnt his lesson this way, more than if he had gotten a ticket.

Jazakee Allahu khayran Sister for sharing!!!

I wished all Saudi drivers would read this story. If you guys think driving in New York is bad, you haven`t seen driving in Saudia.