two things that i realized yesterday

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman
:salam2:

this is a blog from my site that i wanted to share with you all.

well, i learned two things yesterday. the first one being that i learned how important it is for muslim men to wear their full beards. the second thing that i learned is how the muslim ummah is in a lot of trouble today. i will further elaborate.

it has always been a sunnah of the prophet muhammad ( pbuh ) for all adult muslim males to wear their full beards as a sign of being a believer in islam. he told the believers that we needed to differentiate ourselves from the unbelievers and one of the signs of the unbelievers is that they will be prone to shaving their beards. before i continue, i would like to say that me wearing a beard does not make me a better muslim than a muslim that shaves his beard. however, i do have concern for those muslims that do shave off their beard, because each time they shave it; they’re sinning. the lack of the beard shows disobedience to Allah swt. some may say “ whoa, brother you have no right to say that “ but i feel that i do and here’s why: we all know a muslim woman when we see one because muslim women are required to wear hijab. the beard for a male, is in fact part of a man’s hijab. we all know that when muslim women do not wear their hijab, very often hijabi women and muslim men; bearded and non-bearded alike will criticize her. the muslim woman not wearing hijab should be admonished. gently, of course. so if we can criticize her, we should be able to criticize the non-bearded male muslim.

so here is how yesterday goes into play. i was at work and a man that i didn’t know approached me and said “ as-salaam alaykum “ he didn’t know me, so how did he know that i was a muslim? he knew i was a muslim because of my beard!!! there has been countless number of times when i didn’t give salaams to muslims because i didn’t know that they were muslims. why didn’t i know? it was because they shaved their beards!!! yesterday, when that brother greeted me; i was proud to be a muslim, but more importantly, i knew that him recognizing me as a muslim by my beard; i knew that i was pleasing Allah swt by wearing it. it breaks my heart to know that we have brothers that pray 5 times a day, give zakat, fast during ramadan, and have even performed hajj all of these things aren’t easy to do, but the easiest thing to do; wearing a beard is ignored. i pray that Allah swt moves them towards wearing their beards and having the sign of the believers. here is a few sources on the importance of the beard, from muttaqun online:

Hadith - Bukhari 7:781, Narrated Ibn 'Umar
Allah's Apostle said, "Cut the mustaches short and leave the beard (as it is)."
?Hadith - Muslim, Narrated AbuHurayrah
The Messenger of Allah said: Trim closely the mustache, and grow beard, and thus act against the fire-worshippers.
?Hadith - Bukhari 9:651, Narrated Abu Sa'id Al-Khudri
The Prophet said, "There will emerge from the East some people who will recite the Qur'an but it will not exceed their throats and who will go out of (renounce) the religion (Islam) as an arrow passes through the game, and they will never come back to it unless the arrow, comes back to the middle of the bow (by itself) (i.e., impossible)." The people asked, "What will their signs be?" He said, "Their sign will be the habit of shaving (of their beards)." (Fateh Al-Bari, Page 322, Vol. 17th)
?Hadith - Muwatta 51.7
Yahya related to me from Malik from Zayd ibn Aslam that Ata ibn Yasar told him that the Messenger of Allah was in the mosque when a man came in with disheveled hair and beard. The Messenger of Allah *!motioned with his hand that he should be sent out to groom his hair and beard. The man did so and then returned. The Messenger of Allah said, "Isn't this better than that one of you should come with his head disheveled, as if he were a shaytan?"

now, the second thing that i learned or had to finally admit to. the muslim ummah is in trouble. after meeting the brother that i mentioned above; i later ran into a long beard, thobe wearing muslim man; and when i approached him i said salaam to him. what do you think happened? he didn’t even give me the salaam back. on top of that, he failed to even acknowledge my being there in front of him. i once heard Sheikh Imam Siraj Wahaj say that one can tell when there are problems and bitterness among muslims or the ummah when a muslim greets another muslim and that muslims doesn’t give back the salaam. saying and returning salaams is part of our muslim identity. wake up O muslims!!! are you embarrassed about this deen of ours?

in the post 9/11 world, we muslims need to stick together more than ever. people all throughout the ummah are suffering due to prejudice against muslims. and what are we doing? fighting against each other, failing to give each other salaams, making the haram halal etc. one of our greatest directives is to help multiply the ummah. how, aside from procreation, are we going to make the ummah grow doing things this way? why would a non-muslim want to become a muslim if he/she sees the disunity and hypocrisy in our ummah? i am not perfect and neither do i claim to be perfect. neither do i have a remedy to the problem. wait... maybe i do. maybe all we have to do is go back to the quran and the sunnah. all praises are due to ALLAH SWT and only the mistakes are mine.

forgive me if i may have offended.

wasalaam

nyerekareem

Jazakallah for the informative post brother. I agree, I do notice alot of Muslim men without beards these days. It is difficult to differentiate them and give salaam's. Even if you don't have a beard, at least dress like a Muslim man. A kufi is great Islamic garmet.

May Allah swt make the ummah stronger again.

walaakum salaam

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman
Jazakallah for the informative post brother. I agree, I do notice alot of Muslim men without beards these days. It is difficult to differentiate them and give salaam's. Even if you don't have a beard, at least dress like a Muslim man. A kufi is great Islamic garmet.

walaakum salaam

i'm passionate about the topic because i know that the beard is what identifies as muslims. something to be proud of.

halah

Jazakallah khair for sharing this,but unfuortunately in some muslim countries, the men who wearing beards are deprived of join certain jobs,even they must shave their beards befor joining the military service.May Allah keep us all on his straight path.

umm hussain

Asalam alaikum warahmatullah

I agree with the brother people are quick to judge women who leave off hijab or dress inappropriately e.g tight jeans see through tops and make up yet turn a blind eye to brothers without a beard and who also wear very tight trousers below the ankles or any trousers below the ankles which is a sin because it is reported that anything below the ankle is in the hell fire.
Volume 7, Book 72, Number 678: Bukhari
Narrated Abu Huraira:
The Prophet said, "The part of an Izar which hangs below the ankles is in the Fire."

Volume 7, Book 72, Number 683:

Narrated 'Abdullah bin 'Umar:

Allah's Apostle said, "Whoever drags his clothes (on the ground) out of pride and arrogance, Allah will not look at him on the Day of Resurrection."

Not being able to get a job because of a beard is not an excuse to shave it off. That is the same excuse women who take off hijab because they cannot find a job have. If someone is patient for Allah's sake he will be rewarded inshallah. Life is full of tests so maybe your keeping a beard even in the worst of situations is a test to see if one truly believes. Maybe they shouldn't be joining military service in the first place because I am sure this is government military service nothing to do with fighting for Allah because I doubt Mujahids shave their beards off.

I know some men who do not keep beards, wear tight trousers, jeans in most cases below the ankles yet expect a woman who wears hijab, jilbab and in some instances even Niqab. You walk around and see couples like this and it looks so out of place. A woman who fears Allah deserves a man who also fears Allah and Vice versa

nazir

Asalaamu Alaykum,
I agree with what has been said. We mostly talk about the dress code of muslim 'women' and often forget to advice and teach the men of this ummah about their dress codes such as keeping the lower garment/izaar/trousers above the ankle and that the clothing of males shouldn't even be tight. And yes to add to this there is a new phenomenon where men like to imitate women by shaving their beards. Yes, i cannot say that i am better than a non bearded brother, however should that deter me from advising him? The position of Islam regarding the beard is important, and was followe by all of the pious predecessors and it is only these days that we see some casting aside the beard as they do not deem it 'important'. Yes we have many problems, but they are all rooted in US not giving 'importance' to the Qur'an and Sunnah. May Allah enable us to follow the Qur'an and Sunnah without hesitance (ameen). Wassalaam

Muhammad_A

Penguin fancier
Two things I realised recently

1: No matter how big the signs saying: "Please don't leave donations outside the shop" are people still do it. Wiorse still, other people come along and scavenge in the bags that have been left outside

2: I hate people :p

amyaishazouaoui

I agree with you.

No matter how much we say, there are many who have this double standard.
Sister are expected to dress apropriately but brother can get away with it. I cannot sand double standards myself and get totally frustrated when I see myself and other sisters battling with our employer to get uniform that is islamic or to constantly defend our hijab but the brothers cannot wear a beard or short trs or dress with loose clothing.

Girls look at men's backsides just as men look at womens backsides and breats you know!!!!!!!!! (ok not eveyone but u know what I mean)

Sorry but its a fact!!!!

:wasalam:

Muslim Brother1

Salam Alykom Wa Rahmatoh Allahi Wa Barakatoh

Jazak Allah Khair brother for this important post. I have a beard that grows in a very ugly way, but I heard that Khalid Yasin and Dr.Zaker Naik said I will take Ajar from ALlah for keeping a beard that does not look good. Having a beard and dressing like a muslim keeps women fitna away from me, how many times I heard women say ''ohh he is a muslim, forget him''.... I feel happy within me, because having beard and dressing like a muslim kept strange women away from me, and helped me to lower my gaze...alhamdullah......... Show that you are a muslim no matter what, believe me sisters and brothers, we get more respect when we are following the Qu'ran and Sunnah even from non believers, not by putting trousers all the way down, thats not who we are.. We have Prophet Mohammed (PBUH) guidance that must follow.....

Best regards

Wa salam alykom wa rahmatoh allahi wa barakatoh.....

Globalpeace

Banned
Asslamo Allaikum Sister,

That is so NOT true!

We men do no such thing; I tell you.

When we see a Woman (Muslim or Non-Muslim) we lower our gaze, start reverse breathing and get out of the way.

:lol:

[/QUOTE]

men look at womens backsides and breats you know!!!!!!!!! (ok not eveyone but u know what I mean)

:wasalam:[/QUOTE]

Globalpeace

Banned
Asslamo Allaikum,

We men are good at the art of concealing...We think ya'all don't know about these things?

How do you about these things? Have you been coming to the Brothers' sensitive section disguised as a man?
:SMILY288:

thats what the (ok not everyone but u know what I mean) was for!! CANT U READ????????

RAAAAA men!!!

Mohsin

abdu'Allah
Assalamu-alaikum

Akhi GP, are you in love with the CAR or did i read it correct on another thread that you were about to ask the Shaikh about second marriage but out of someone's fear you kept mum ??? .... :SMILY149:

Globalpeace

Banned
W-Salam,

Lets not cross-threads bro. What goes in one thread; stays in that thread.

P.S: Mrs. may be around and I know that she has spies!

:SMILY346:

Akhi GP, are you in love with the CAR or did i read it correct on another thread that you were about to ask the Shaikh about second marriage but out of someone's fear you kept mum ??? .... :SMILY149:

American Muslim

Just Another Slave
The beard is an issue that concerns me. In many ways, the best examples of muslims for me have been reverts as opposed to those who were born muslim. Most reverts (that I have seen) make the effort to grow a beard and dress humbly. They are very intense in their effort to learn arabic so that they can learn Qu'aran. Many of them seem to embrace the sunnah with all their hearts.

On the other hand, many of the born muslims that I know don't seem to follow these things. Their cheeks are bare, they wear western clothing, and many of them never learn more Qu'aran than what they need for prayer. It may be because most of these muslims are immigrants. They have a need to assimilate, get the good job, fit in. I am aware that racism is a factor. If I were to take off my kuffee and put on western clothes, I would be just another anglo american.

Most of the muslims I know here are Pakistani in origin. Maybe it is a cultural thing as well. You will hear little boys talk about attending medical school, or great Chemistry colleges in prestigous universities. These careers tend to not allow a beard either for hygene or safety. Maybe as parents, we should not aim our children like an arrow for these prestigous positions that do not allow them to keep to the sunnah.

We all want what is best for our children. And we all want them to have a better life than we had. The chrisitians record Hazrat Eesa as saying "It profits a man nothing to gain the whole world if he loses his soul."
Are we setting up our children for success in this world, but failure in the next one? I can't answer that one.

As for this:
Asalam alaikum warahmatullah

Maybe they shouldn't be joining military service in the first place because I am sure this is government military service nothing to do with fighting for Allah because I doubt Mujahids shave their beards off.

I don't know how armies in the Islamic world run things. I don't know if the beard is allowed. In the West, it is not for cultural reasons that the beard is absent. First, is the concept of uniformity. Everyone is the same, everyone is on the team, etc. Second is hygene (lice while on campaign, et al). Third is for safety. In hand to hand combat the beard can be dangerous as it gives your opponent something to hold on to. And before we go on about mujaheeds, these men are motivated by love of Allah, so ofcourse they have beards.

Thanks for letting me rant, and I apologize if I offended.