Sister that doesn't want to wear hijab

eemaan1

:salam2: sis
i wonder why is it that u want to hear our opinions when ALLAH's Ayah(verses) and of all the hadiths were already revealed to you......
the Quraan and hadiths should be enough quidance sistah..stop seeking what we think is right..becuse u got more facts from your almighty Lord then we can offer...And i believe you can manage it from there on.! inshallah..
may ALlah guide you to the truth and make increase you in emaan and Ihsaan.:tti_sister: .good luck sis!

:salam2:

sister we all know what we r supposed to do... sometimes advice on how to do it helps...

Mrmuslim

Smile you are @ TTI
Staff member
salaam alikom,

Sisters in the beginning everything is hard, to change the way of you live, the way you dress is very hard on the soul, but if you do it for sake of Allah s.w.t Allah will make it easy, if you be patient Allah will give you patience.

You all are new Muslimaat, the most important thing is you become Muslim you will not change by day and night, look @ the stories of the companion of the prophet peace be up him read thier stories read the stories of the Muslimaat @ the time of the prophet peace be up on him.

Day by day they changed, the prohibition of the Alcohol didn’t came except after a while but when it was reveled every Muslim stopped drinking.

Remember what you are doing is for the sake of Allah s.w.t we have a lot of bad habits in our life we cant give them up, but if you do it for sake of Allah s.w.t he will help you.

Sisters we can not say I can not do it ....this is shay tan trying to put you down, he is coming up with excuses in your mind so you don’t follow Allah's order, remember this a test for you step by step inshallah you will succeed in following Allah's order, just keep trying.

Quote:
No deed will be accepted unless it is done sincerely for the sake of Allaah and in accordance with the Sunnah of the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). This is what is meant by the words of Allaah (interpretation of the meaning):

“that He may test you which of you is best in deed”
[al-Mulk 67:2]

Al-Fudayl ibn ‘Iyyaad said: (This means) that which is most sincere and most correct. They said, O Abu ‘Ali, what most sincere and most correct? He said: If a deed is not sincere and not correct, it will not be accepted. If it is correct but is not sincere, it will not be accepted unless it is both sincere and correct. Sincere means that it is done for the sake of Allaah and correct means that it is in accordance with the Sunnah.

We should know that the way to Paradise is difficult and needs effort and patience.

Added: The way to hell fire is easy while the way to paradise full of tests, trials. As our imam said in one of the lectures Imagen you have to climb to the top of mountain and there are 2 ways one way is easy and straight but at end of the way there is a big hole you will fall in, while the other way is full of rocks and you will face a lot of trouble to reach to the top but at the end of the way you find pradise.

Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“As for those who strive hard in Us (Our Cause), We will surely guide them to Our paths (i.e. Allaah’s religion — Islamic Monotheism). And verily, Allaah is with the Muhsinoon (good-doers)”

[al-‘Ankaboot 29:69]

I will just end with this verse

الله تعالى : " وماكان لمؤمنٍ ولامؤمنةٍ إذا قضى الله ورسوله أمراً أن يكون لهم الخيرة من أمرهم ومن يعص الله ورسوله فقد ضل ضلالاً مبيناً "

“It is not for a believer, man or woman, when Allaah and His Messenger have decreed a matter that they should have any option in their decision. And whoever disobeys Allaah and His Messenger, he has indeed strayed into a plain error”

[al-Ahzaab 33:36]

Allah help us all to follow his orders inshallah, dont forget me in your Du'aa

wa salaam alikom

Quote's : From Islam q a

hajhajti

I have seen reverts who have not covered their hair but this is the first time I hear about a revert who actually walks in shorts. Islam preaches modesty. It's not whether many men look at your legs but 'some few' will look. It is for your protection and protection of 'those few' men that it's better if you dress modestly.

I don't agree that hijab has to be abaaya or niqaab. As long as the dress is modest and doesn't reveal bodyparts, it is hijab. Some go to extremes and show only their eyes and some go to the other extreme showing all they have. Islam is the middle way.

IslamIsLight

Islam is my life
Staff member
Sisters Let me first greet you in the Islamic fashion Assalam u alaikum peace be on you Please seek Allah s guidance in all aspects of your lives You will not go stray as long as you have taqwa - Allah consiousness The Quran says that the best dress is taqwa As long as you do not show those parts of your body which can sexually excite men you are ok For this purpose Allah {S.W.T]has ordained loose dressing for women which cover their breasts The face ,hands and feet need not be covered

assalamu aleikum
Would u please explain the last part,if u don't mind
"For this purpose Allah {S.W.T]has ordained loose dressing for women which cover their breasts The face ,hands and feet need not be covered"

Where it says that face needs to be covered too?
wa salam

kayleigh

assalamu aleikum
Would u please explain the last part,if u don't mind
"For this purpose Allah {S.W.T]has ordained loose dressing for women which cover their breasts The face ,hands and feet need not be covered"

Where it says that face needs to be covered too?
wa salam

It doesn't. He's (or she?) is saying that that the face, hands, and feet DON'T need to be covered. He/she just forgot the period after "breasts" :)

justoneofmillion

I have seen reverts who have not covered their hair but this is the first time I hear about a revert who actually walks in shorts. .
assalam,am sorry brother you got me there your statement is indeed funny got tears in my eyes eventough i know it was not your intention jazakhllah khair:SMILY259:

hijabiwonda

asalam alaikum sisters

subhanallah its nice to read about sisters in the same boat as me so to speak. i am a revert but i do not wear hijab as yet either, i am allways thinking about it everytime i leave the house, but as yet have not worn it full time mainly in ramadan only.

i have actually lost friends due to this as the girls as well as their husbands said i was not pious enough to be around. so i often get a negative feedback from hijabis as well. so i am really struggling with the whole concept due to lack of understanding from others, and makes me withdraw even more.

but inshallah this will be the ramadan of all ramadans for me as i am determined to carry on wearing after the holy month.

wa salam
khadijah

muslimguy

i have actually lost friends due to this as the girls as well as their husbands said i was not pious enough to be around. so i often get a negative feedback from hijabis as well. khadijah

SubhanAllah in the times we need our brothers and sister to support us, they leave us an easy target to shaytan. may Allah guide all of us to the right path.

muslimguy

may Allah bless you all sisters for sharing your comments. and on behalf of all your brothers in islam, I would like to say we have so much resppect for you and all what you do for Islam, jazakom Allah kahiran

Mrmuslim

Smile you are @ TTI
Staff member
asalam alaikum sisters

subhanallah its nice to read about sisters in the same boat as me so to speak. i am a revert but i do not wear hijab as yet either, i am allways thinking about it everytime i leave the house, but as yet have not worn it full time mainly in ramadan only.

i have actually lost friends due to this as the girls as well as their husbands said i was not pious enough to be around. so i often get a negative feedback from hijabis as well. so i am really struggling with the whole concept due to lack of understanding from others, and makes me withdraw even more.

but inshallah this will be the ramadan of all ramadans for me as i am determined to carry on wearing after the holy month.

wa salam
khadijah

Again sisters if you going to wear hijab you have to wear for sake of Allah s.w.t not to please friends or any one else.

remember this
No deed will be accepted unless it is done sincerely for the sake of Allaah and in accordance with the Sunnah of the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). This is what is meant by the words of Allaah (interpretation of the meaning):

“that He may test you which of you is best in deed”
[al-Mulk 67:2]

Al-Fudayl ibn ‘Iyyaad said: (This means) that which is most sincere and most correct. They said, O Abu ‘Ali, what most sincere and most correct? He said: If a deed is not sincere and not correct, it will not be accepted. If it is correct but is not sincere, it will not be accepted unless it is both sincere and correct. Sincere means that it is done for the sake of Allaah and correct means that it is in accordance with the Sunnah.

We should know that the way to Paradise is difficult and needs effort and patience.

Tips for Beginning to Wear Hijab
Read the stories of sisters HIJAB STORIES

SOURCE:http://www.muhajabah.com/hjbscared.htm

Introduction

One of the most difficult decisions many Muslim sisters face is the decision to start wearing hijab. This is certainly true for reverts, but may also be true for sisters whose families or even whose cultures are not particularly observant. As a revert myself, I have been through the whole thing. I would like to offer some advice that I hope inshallah will be helpful to sisters who are considering wearing hijab but find that something is holding them back. If you don't think that you need to wear hijab, try "Why Should I Wear Hijab?" instead.

Learning About Hijab

The first step is to learn about hijab. There is so much information out there and unfortunately much of it seems to be conflicting. Although most of what you see agrees that the sister must cover everything but her face and hands, some groups say that it is fard to cover everything but the eyes. Meanwhile, certain other groups are dedicated to claiming that covering the hair is not obligatory. It is very easy to get confused. And there are other questions. What is a jilbab? Is it fard to wear one? What do all the names mean?

I have spent about two years researching these issues for myself and I have written several articles that set out what to the best of my knowledge are the correct rules of hijab. Each of these is linked below for you to look at.

Special Focus on Hijab - This is a section in a larger article. It explains where the ruling on covering everything but the face and hands comes from, and the conditions of the headscarf. It also refutes the claims of those who say that covering the hair is not fard.

Evidences for Jilbab - The jilbab seems to be the forgotten obligation of hijab. This article presents dalils from Quran and Sunna, and opinions of many scholars, to show that wearing a jilbab is fard, and it also discusses the conditions and rules of the jilbab.

Examining the Dalils for Niqab - In this article I examine the dalils that are presented by those who claim that niqab is fard and I show that these are not as compelling as they seem at first. I am actually a strong supporter of the opinion that niqab is mustahabb and sunna but I do not believe that it is fard and I believe that saying that it is fard is to introduce into the religion an obligation that Allah SWT and the Prophet (sAas) did not.

For your convenience, I present a brief guide to the rules of dress for the Muslim sister for different situations.

1) Around her husband, a sister may dress however she chooses. There are no restrictions on what the husband can see or touch.

2) Around the mahram relatives, women, and children (a complete list of exemptions is given in Surah an-Nur ayah 31), a sister should cover her awra. There are different opinions on the extent of this. The most sensible that I have seen is from the upper chest to the knee. This includes the region that is also awra in men (navel to knee) and extends upwards to cover the woman's bosom, which is a special concern for her. Display of the hair, arms, lower legs and feet, is universally agreed to be halal for this category.

3) Around non-mahram men, a sister must cover all of her body except her face and her hands. The face is the circle of the face only and does not include the ears or any of the hair. Just think about what you wash in wudu. The covering of the hair, neck, shoulders, and upper chest must specifically be accomplished by the khimar (headscarf). The arms, torso, and legs should be covered by loose, opaque clothing that obscures the shape of the figure. A long-sleeved blouse and a jumper, a long loose tunic and a long skirt, or shalwar kameez are all examples of what is acceptable. As well, most scholars say that the feet must be covered with socks and shoes although a few scholars allow the wearing of sandals.

4) Outdoors and in open public places (such as the market or the masjid), a sister must wear a jilbab as an outergarment, that is, over her other clothes. If she is wearing a khimar, then the jilbab only needs to cover from the shoulders to the ankles, such as a long coat. If she is not wearing a khimar, then the jilbab should cover the head and neck as well.

The above rules set out what you need to wear in each situation in order to be observing correct hijab.

Note: Most sisters, including myself, approached hijab in several stages. Usually the first stage is the modest clothing such as the blouse and jumper, tunic and skirt, or shalwar kameez. The second stage is to add the headscarf (properly called khimar). The third stage, often taken much later after reading up on the dalils, is to add the jilbab when outdoors. In the way of things, I expect that most sisters who are reading this have already adopted the modest clothing and are worried about the khimar.

Deciding to Wear Hijab

This is where the difficulties usually come in. For many sisters, it truly is a jihad. I remember very vividly how scared I was the first day I put on the headscarf and went out into public. As long as you are just wearing the modest clothes, nobody has to know that you are a Muslim. Once you complete your hijab with the headscarf, you are suddenly announcing to everyone who sees you that "I am a Muslim". Here is some advice based on my own experiences.

Wear it for the sake of Allah SWT

Various statements are made about why you should wear hijab, such as for modesty or for protection, but the real reason that we wear hijab is that Allah SWT has commanded it. Whenever anyone asks you, why do you dress like that, that's the only answer you need to give them.

Allah SWT is the source of everything we have, our existence, our life, our capability, even our goodness. If He ever stopped sustaining us, we would vanish in that instant. If He ever took away what he gives us, we would never have even a speck of it. If we worked for millions of years, we could never repay Him for all that He has given us. And yet He does give it to us, and all He asks in return is that we do our best to obey what He has commanded us. Surely wearing hijab is a very small thing that you can do for Him compared to what He does for you!

Wear it for the hope of Jannah

Allah SWT makes tests for us in this world. He makes things difficult for us. He wants to see if we will remember Him, if we will have faith in Him, and if we will trust in Him. These qualities are what is meant by "sabr".

Allah SWT does not lose the work of anyone, ever (see Surah Ali Imran ayah 195). Even if it seems like nobody is paying attention to you or notices or appreciates good things that you do, Allah SWT has seen them, and He will not forget them. Even when it seems like the whole world is against you, Allah SWT is always there for you when you turn to Him. Remember this.

Allah SWT always wants the best for us and in His wisdom He knows why each thing that happens to us is in fact best for us. When it seems like everything is going wrong and life is just one disaster after another, it is easy to forget this and to become bitter and skeptical. Yet we must remember always to have faith that Allah SWT knows best why He has willed this for us, and we must always ask Him only "Make me pleased with what You have willed for me".

This world we live in, although it seems at times to be the only real thing, is actually fleeting compared to the Hereafter, which is better and more abiding. The trials of this world will seem as fleeting as a nightmare when seen from the Hereafter, and the pleasures of this world will also seem as fleeting as a dream when seen from the Hereafter. It's our happiness in the Hereafter that we should be most worried about attaining, because it is what will last forever; and it's our suffering in the Hereafter that we should be most worried about avoiding, because it also will last forever.

Allah SWT has promised Jannah to those who remain steadfast in their faith in Him and who trust in Him. The more difficult it is for you to have sabr, the greater the reward for it. So what will it be? Ease in this world, and perhaps the eternal sufferings in Hell? Or difficulty in this world, and inshallah the eternal bliss of Jannah? Let's face it, the old cliches are true: there's no such thing as a free lunch and you can almost never have your cake and eat it too. We've all got to face difficulties some time. Better by far that they be in the world than in the Hereafter.

So that's what you should set your mind to. Yes, it's difficult to wear hijab. You may be rejected by your family or your friends, you may face harassment and persecution or be fired from your job. These are very scary thoughts. But if you have sabr and keep trusting in Allah SWT, I swear to you sister, this is the path to Jannah, and when you look back on the Day of Qiyamah you will know that it was worth it and have no regrets.

Wear it today and trust in Allah SWT for tomorrow

What do I mean by that? What I mean is that you should take it one day at a time, or even one outing at a time. Sometimes the future seems to stretch on forever and ever and you don't think you can make it that long. You want to give up before you even begin.

So sometimes the best thing to do is to keep you mind focused on what is immediately at hand. Allah SWT will take care of the future. If you have to go out to the market, then concentrate on being able to wear hijab just for this activity and on getting through it. If you do get through it and nothing bad happened, then give thanks to Allah SWT for making it easy for you, and turn your mind to your next outing.

Or if you have to go out to school or work, then concentrate on being able to wear hijab just for this one day and on getting through it. And give thanks to Allah SWT when you have made it, and turn your mind to the next day.

Eventually the outings will turn into days and the days into weeks, and the weeks into months. One day you will realize that you have been wearing hijab for quite a long time and it isn't really as bad as you feared, and Allah SWT helped you get through it. Don't be ashamed. Sometimes it is like this. The most important thing is to have sabr and keep your trust in Allah SWT always.

Wear it and spite the shaytan

My dear sister, the worries and fears in your mind are the whisperings of the shaytan. He wants to talk you out of obeying Allah SWT.

It is very easy to keep going around in circles in your mind and to dwell on all the things that could go wrong. I know that I myself have a tendency to do this, I put it off and I dither and I wait for "the perfect time". If I let myself, I would never do anything at all!

So the thing you have to remember is that you do not need to be perfect in iman to wear hijab. If perfection were a qualification, where is the sister who could wear it??

You must also not fall into the trap of thinking that you should wait until all your worries and fears have disappeared. They never will! Trust me on this, sister.

True courage is going ahead to do what's right even though you are still nervous and scared. So don't listen to the shaytan. Ignore the worries and fears he whispers into your mind. Tell him that you will not let him keep you from obeying Allah SWT and you will not let him rule your life.

Make the decision to wear it

Once you have come to know in your heart that you must wear hijab, then you have to set a day and

JUST DO IT

This is the only way. Set a day and when that day comes, you have to do it. Don't back down. Don't give up. Do it.

Offer salat al-istikhara. Make du'a. Make lots of du'a. Do not stop making du'a. Ask Allah SWT to give you strength. Ask Him to make it easy for you. Ask Him to help you. He will, I swear it to you. He is always there for you when you turn to Him. Remember how much He has given you, how everything that you have, even your very existence, is due to Him. Remember that He deserves this from you. Remember the promise of Jannah. Remember that remaining patient and faithful through difficulty now may lead to Jannah, inshallah. Even if bad things happen, keep these thoughts in your mind. Don't worry about tomorrow. Just concentrate on getting through today, and leave tomorrow to Allah SWT until it gets here.

That's how you do it.

Final Words of Encouragement

I have been wearing hijab since September 1999. I do not regret it. I have never for one instant regretted it. I do not regret it even one iota. Inshallah, you will discover that you feel the same. Even within a few months I came to feel that I would not be properly dressed if I went out not wearing hijab. This is when you know that you have made it!

Never feel that you are alone, or that you are the only one who is scared and worried and nervous. Just about every other sister who has travelled down this road has gone through the same things. I know I have. Your sisters are here for you. We have been where you are. We are encouraging you and cheering you on. We know what it takes because we had to find that in ourselves too. We are praying for your success just as we prayed for our own.

Come and join us.

Allah does not burden a soul except what it can bear. For it is what it has earned, and upon it is what it has made due. "Our Lord and Sustainer, do not condemn us if we forget or do wrong. Our Lord and Sustainer, do not put a burden on us like the burden You put on those who were before us. Our Lord and Sustainer, do not put a burden on us that we cannot endure. And blot out (our sins) and forgive us, and be gentle to us. You are our Protector. So help us against the rejectors." (Surah al-Baqarat ayah 286)

SOURCE : http://www.muhajabah.com/hjbscared.htm

WA salaam alikom

jabba

Salafi Dawah is the best
asalam alaikum sisters

wa salam
khadijah

Salam ALaikum sister

SubanAllah don't worry about the negative remarks you get in public (or online) sister what SOME people fail to realize it that it's not an easy decission and we all want to cover there are just different emotional obsticles we need to over come. Allah (SWT) judges our intentions as well so if you sincerly intend on wearing hijab you are on your way.

It's kinda funny how no matter how many times sisters here write their personal experiences and feelings on this issue some brothers still have to copy and paste the same things, as if they're not even listening or lack copmpassion. Brothers we hear you in fact your not the first ones to tell us this information.

seekingtruth2

hijab and jihad

asalaamu alaikom waramatullah,
i also am a revert but i cover..... for the person who asked why cover the face it is something that the prophets wives did and they are considered our mothers so we strive to emulate them......
i cover completely and yes its very hard at first but you know what.... if you do what is asked of you by Allah swt then it becomes easier everyday.... trust me on this.... after a bit it becomes second nature to you..... i love the hijab and yes i wear abaya and niqaab now but niqaab is not a requirement just so you know......

Jihad is obligatory on men but not on women..... hijab is the jihad of the women.... we have jihad every single day we live and wear it....
on the day of judgement when the angels come to meet us the women who wore hijab in their life will be greeted by 2 of the most beautiful angels that you have ever seen, they will clothe us in the most beautiful white silk gown, and take us straight to the jannah......
those who wear the hijab will attain the highest level of jannah the same as the men who gave thier lives in jihad.......

can you even imagine????? Alhumdullilah!

38khadj

I have seen reverts who have not covered their hair but this is the first time I hear about a revert who actually walks in shorts. Islam preaches modesty. It's not whether many men look at your legs but 'some few' will look. It is for your protection and protection of 'those few' men that it's better if you dress modestly.

I don't agree that hijab has to be abaaya or niqaab. As long as the dress is modest and doesn't reveal bodyparts, it is hijab. Some go to extremes and show only their eyes and some go to the other extreme showing all they have. Islam is the middle way.

I think you have to be careful here not to mock a new revert, Allhamdolilla she has chose Allahs path changing everything straight away is a near impossible, as time goes on the sister will get Taqwa (fear) and she will learn to value what Allah has said bit by bit.
I am sure there are things you do contray to the quran and sunnat, and let me guess you are a born muslim with years of teaching so dont mock her been a revert of a month, we reverts have alot to change the way we are used to living was completly different.

Sister one step at a time, there will be many out there willing to mock you as a revert " why are you not wearing a kemeez ect when you going to start wearing one ect" that is not part of been a muslim yet time and time again I have people trying to make me wear one as part of been excepted "like a muslim"
This really irritates me I am sorry.
When the blessed Nabi (s.a.w) became the prophet of mankind Allah the Almighty gave him the ablity to do such miricles, one of the miricles he did in his lifetime was split the moon in two. In the kabbah at that time, there was so many statues he could of easly with the will of Allah split those statues in too, but it would of caused a rebellion, so he worked on their hearts instead and when their Iman was strong and the order of Allah came to break those statues it was those that worshiped statues broke them and believed in Allah. How many hearts have we made effort on?

Aisha states to the nearest meaning If the whole command of Allah came straight away we would never be able to follow them. Umar may allah bless him said to the nearest meaning that Mohammad(s.a.w) if he had cursed us in our pre Islamic days we would of been no more.

The Saharbas (commanions of the Phrophet) were the worst among men and women, they were far worst than us and Allah guided them, so what makes one think they will not guide us. Instead of complaining about us pray for us that is what the prophet would of done.

:tti_sister:
:wasalam:

Ummzaina

I think you have to be careful here not to mock a new revert, Allhamdolilla she has chose Allahs path changing everything straight away is a near impossible, as time goes on the sister will get Taqwa (fear) and she will learn to value what Allah has said bit by bit.
I am sure there are things you do contray to the quran and sunnat, and let me guess you are a born muslim with years of teaching so dont mock her been a revert of a month, we reverts have alot to change the way we are used to living was completly different.

............... Instead of complaining about us pray for us that is what the prophet would of done.

:tti_sister:
:wasalam:

I whole heartedly agree with you sister!!!
Being a born muslim, most revert stories and their struggles especially their/your triumphs give me courage and ability to appreciate Islam in its entirety.As you said us being born muslims take it for granted that we are doing the right thing even when we are not but most reverts start from the basics and understand many of the Sunnah (more than some of us) at the time they revert. Alhamdlillah, many reverts are so courageous to entirely change their lifestyles from the moment of shahada and are ready to take on any jihad for the sake of Allah (while many of us are still hesitant about following a lot of Sunnah of Prophet (SAW).
:hijabi: :wasalam:

Laura

Just wanted to say thank you for all the comments both positive and not so...it is lovely that people take the time to give and share opinions... because it gives us the chance to learn, or at least to at least decide what we do or don't agree with!

Salam:hijabi:

Ashour

the difference

QUESTION: I have ams and legs in the same fashion as men so why are mine considered awrah (sexual organs, so I've been told) when the mans are not.

ANSWER: Men are different than Women. Men become aroused by look and women become aroused by touch.

I wonder if anyone can help me?
I'm an english revert (as those that have held me prattle on before will know) and I'm having problems with the concept of covering........
I've always lived where I do and was previously a christian. I've got a lovely family and I have always been bought up with good morals (by my standards). I don't dress in excessively short skirts, or walk round with low cut reveal tops (designed to expose your chest as much as possible.)

However I'm quite used to wandering around shorts and t-shirts and where I live legs and arms aren't considered awrah........... the number of 'looks' women get from men are extremely rare.

Now I know thats not the case in Islam......people have been very kind in gently trying to explain to me the whys and whats....... and have said that don't worry with time I'll feel more happy about it.

The problem is that the more I try to accept the less I like it. I feel that by covering I am making something not particularly interesting into something highly sexual. I have ams and legs in the same fashion as men so why are mine considered awrah (sexual organs, so I've been told) when the mans are not.

Various people have said that the abaya is a must and that I should consider wearing one, which I do when visiting family in egypt. But a lot of the time its just not practical.....like when you are trying to keep fit at the gym, or when youre cutting the grass etc etc.... Also the few times I have worn the hijab outside I just sit and burn up with annoyance and anger...because no matter how hard I try I just don't personally feel comfortable with wearing one and I don't feel I ever will.

I last time I aired my thougts to someone they just told me I was selfish and just didn't want to do what the koran instructed me to do.... please, no replies like that cos that doesn't help much!

Where I live there are virtually no muslims probably the only other muslim in my area is my husband!
I'm desperate to be a good muslim and any helpful comments/ suggestions would be really helpful!