Anyone can list churches that were converted to mosques and vice versa?

apocalypse77

i got this question..can anyone list to me the number of churches/cathedrals that have been transformed to a mosque and mosques that have been transformed to a church/cathedrals??

also, was there a mosque or a church that was transformed to a mosque/church on and off in jerusalem? if im not wrong this place is sacred to both muslims and christians since its dealing with jesus..anyone with info on this pls help me and leme know thanks!!

AishaR

:salam2:

From what I know this happened quite a bit in Spain, in Granada there some I think.

:wasalam:
Sis Aisha

suumaya

Asalamu alaikum
There is Mazjid in turkey that used to be a church, i don't know what it's called, maybe the blue Mazjid now.

samiha

---------
Staff member
Asalamu alaikum
There is Mazjid in turkey that used to be a church, i don't know what it's called, maybe the blue Mazjid now.

wa alaykum salam.

i think you may be reffering to the Hagia Sofia in current day Istanbul, Turkey. It's a nice history, masha'allah the mosque is beautiful... :) I don't like how it was/is turned into a museum now. It serves less purpose as a Museum, I'd rather have it as a Masjid. Though i don't know how that'd be possible, it does have quite a few faces still there... (what do u call them? icons? i forget)

From Wiki: Even though it's not the best source, at this point, I dont have a better one.

The orginal plans for the Church < click, the pics big

Minarets and stuff added later:
Istanbul086.jpg

That's the only one I cared to remember whilst studying history. Spain... gah... I know it had a good time, but mainly all I remember is the Inquistion which got me very mad.

wasalam

wantobeMumin

aya sophia in turkey used to be a splendrious church until Muslims conquered it and converted it into mosque without doing any major renovation. later one of the rulers decided to build a better and bigger mosque which looked like it right across the street from it. i believe its called blue mosque. the orignal mosqe/church serve as a museum thesedays. it is also consider as one of the wonders off all time.

Babri mosque in india was attacked by hindus so that they can built a temple in place of it.

almost all the mosques in spain from the moorish times were either destroyed of converted into churches once muslims were killed/expelled or forced to convert to christianity.

justoneofmillion

Asalamu alaikum
assalam,no sister that is the hagia Sofia in Turkey you are talking about which used to be a church during the byzantine empire and then turned into a mosque during the ottomans finally today it is merely a museum since Attaturk has decided so.
And then there is the mosque in Granada turned into catholic church i think the
former mosque of sevilla turned into a gothic cathedral,what else the mosque of cordoba also turned into a church.and there are also other former mosques in who were converted into churches Salerno,sicilly i still have to check the names inschallah i do not remember. in Algeria ,morrocco,tunisia, there are still the huge Notre Dame D`AFRIQUE cathedrals built during the colonisation periodes till this day available as places of worship eventough there is really a very very very very small but really small nummber of christians...

wassalam

suumaya

assalam,no sister that is the hagia Sofia in Turkey you are talking about which used to be a church during the byzantine empire and then turned into a mosque during the ottomans finally today it is merely a museum since Attaturk has decided so.
And then there is the mosque in Granada turned into catholic church i think the
former mosque of sevilla turned into a gothic cathedral,what else the mosque of cordoba also turned into a church.and there are also other former mosques in who were converted into churches Salerno,sicilly i still have to check the names inschallah i do not remember. in Algeria ,morrocco,tunisia, there are still the huge Notre Dame D`AFRIQUE cathedrals built during the colonisation periodes till this day available as places of worship eventough there is really a very very very very small but really small nummber of christians...

wassalam

Jazakallahu khair brother. i knew there was a church in turkey that was turned into Mazjid but i totally forgot the name of it and the city.
Thanks

justoneofmillion

assalam,there is acctualy a church in england that is being converted into a mosque and this seems to be a new trend in europe for the futur as a lot of old churches have become Bars ,clubs,restaurants,factories...etc,others are simply empty, with far too high costs to maintain just threatening to fall into ruins....the muslims are even claiming the mezquita in cordoba back.
check for yourselves.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16959621/site/newsweek/

wassalam

hqudrat

there is a church in toronto that was converted to masjid but i don't know the name of the church nor what the masjid is call now alihamdulillah.we do have quiet a number of that around the world masha Allah.

:tti_sister:

Saifu deen

Alhamdullah..
Assalam Alykom

''Wembley Central Mosque'' in Northwest London, U.K used to be a Church but then converted to Masjid.....

firdeus

That is Jami Mosque, in 56 Boustead Ave., Toronto. Alhamdulilah is very good one.

:salam2: :hijabi:

there is a church in toronto that was converted to masjid but i don't know the name of the church nor what the masjid is call now alihamdulillah.we do have quiet a number of that around the world masha Allah.

:tti_sister:

q8penpals

Assalam Aliekum

I don't know a number, but I visited several churches in Hungary (Pecs for one) that had been mosques. They were quite beautiful pieces of archtecture - most kept the domes, some the minarettes as well. It mostly just seemed like they kept the building the same and added pews and decorations.

Lana

American Muslim

Just Another Slave
And then you have other types of situations. I saw a documentary on the History channel about muslims in Bagdhad preserving a jewish temple as it was a house dedicated to the worship of Allah, where no others were associated with Him. Could also be because those jews who left Iraq for Israel were arabs and had lived in the community with other arabs.

I wonder what has happened to that synagogue today?