About names when Converting

Erik

:salam2: I was wondering if i convert to islam what will happen with my name?
Must I take another name on the side or change my birthname?
How does all of that work? who chooses the name?
When converting to Islam,can I do that in private? is it enought that i alone in my home accept Allah andby doing so , i become a muslim or what do I have to do?

Regards /Erik

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam Erik,

I will let one with more knowledge answer most of your questions. I just want to let you know I think you have made some remarkable decisions. I would strongly suggest you go to the masjid and let the community and the angles of Allah in the masjid rejoice. I respect your deep convictions and the battles you have undergone...now, it is time to celebrate..let us welcome you in the best of ways..I have written before my heart leaps with joy when I encounter Muslims...you have given me great joy brother.

island muslim

PEACE erik,

In the case of your name you can keep it cause it has no meaning that does not contradict the worship of Allah. For example since you are viking I will use a viking name ; Christianson will have to change the nameto another name.

You can say the shahadha even alone and become muslim IF you beleive and are willing to practise the 5 pillars, but it is best to go to the mosque so that the brothers and sisters will know you are a muslim and treat you as their brother and sister in the muslim family.

Saifu deen

Alhamdullah..
Assalam Alykom

I am not a scholar, or someone with knowledge. Therefore I cant answer your questions Erik.

But I am happy to hear that you have reached your decision. You have searched for the truth for months of studying without giving up in finding answers that you were looking for. I am even more happy to be your brother in islam.

May Allah reward you, bless you, and guide you to the straight path.Amiin Amiin Amiin....

I love you for the sake of Allah (SWT)

Your brother... Saif Wasslam Alykom..

Question:
Is it mandatory for one who newly embraces Islaam to change his or her name?

Answer:

al-hamdu lillaah.

He or she is not required to change his or her name unless it embodies the worship of someone or something other then God, Allaah. However, its amelioration by choosing a new Islamic name is legitimate and encouraged. The fact that he or she would change his or her name from a pagan or non-Islamic name to an Islamic one would be considered commendable--however, it is not mandatory.

Thus, if one's name is Abdul-Messiah, for example, or similar such names, then he is obligated to change it, as the Prophet (peace upon him) had people with the names Abdul-Ka'bah and Abdul-Uzzah change their names upon accepting Islaam.

If the original name does not comprise or imply anything forbidden in Islaam, then he or she is permitted to retain it (such as the name George, for example). As noted, though, it is preferable to change it to an Islaamic name, as this also distinguishes him or her from the kuffaar.

Note that if changing one's name in official documents and records poses a great inconvenience, it would suffice to change it among the people. In this case, he or she is called by his or her new name by friends, acquaintances, and the general public, while offical documents would retain the original given name.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

Sagie

Salaam Erik

i would advice you to go and vist your local masjid and i think the imam at the masjid would be able to give you the guidence that you need on your spirutual journey..... wither ever it may lead you......the imam is a man with all the knowledge who is able to address all the concern that you might have or questions.......there might be people here who might also be able to help u out.....

I was wondering if i convert to islam what will happen with my name?
Answer: It depend on the person....some people choice to change their name to show their detication to islam and they feel it's the right thing to do....some people might change first name to islamic name but also keep their fathers name.....i know that it's very important that you keep ur father name...becuz it's a way of showing respect to ur parents..... i know it's not adviced to change ur parents name....

that is as much as i know on the issue.....i know it's not alot but i hope it helps you some how.....

Jag hoppas att allt go bra for dig.......jag onskar att du for dinna svar om islam....ta hand of dig sjalv...

Peace be upon you

38khadj

:salam2:
Glad to hear you want to revert to Islam Erik:ma:
May Allah guide you brother Inshallah
:ma: :ma: :ma: :ma: :ma: :ma:
:wasalam: :blackhijab: