The purpose of calling the Azaan in a baby's ear.

Angeleyes

Sallam to u all. I just had a baby boy 8 days ago, and one of my friends wanted to know why we call the Azaan in the baby's ear? How can I explain it to her without confusing her? Also. she wants to know why we shave their hair off?

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Wa alaykum salam,

congrats.. may Allah bless you, your baby and all your family

Among the Sunnahs for welcoming the newborn, the scholars mentioned that the Adhaan should be recited into the baby’s right ear so that the first thing he hears in this world will be the words of Tawheed (oneness of Allah (most high), knowing that it is Allah alone we worship without ascribing any partners to him), which will have a great and blessed effect on the child. With regard to reciting the iqaamah in the child’s left ear, there is nothing to prove that this is required. (See al-Silsilat al-Da’eefah, 1/491).

Shaving the child’s head then anointing the child’s head with saffron is very beneficial. Then it is prescribed to give in charity gold or silver equal in weight to the hair. This does not have to be done by actually weighing the hair; if it is too difficult to do that, it is sufficient to estimate the weight and give paper currency equivalent to the price of that amount of gold or silver. We ask Allaah to protect us and our children from all evil and to keep them safe and sound in this world and in the Hereafter. May Allaah bless our Prophet Muhammad.

Islamic Actions for Welcoming a New Baby

The hair is shaved off in order to thank Allah and to obey the Prophet's :saw: command.

When al-Hasan was born the Prophet (sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) told his daughter, Faatima (RA), "shave his head and give the weight of his hair in silver to the poor" (Ahmad)

So we are thankful for our gift from Allah, and give charity to those who are less fortunate then us.

wasalam

Umm Aysha

*Strive for Jannah*
Sallam to u all. I just had a baby boy 8 days ago

Wa alaykum salaam

Subhanallah thats wonderful news sister. Congrats.

Hope you both are well insha-allah..

Yes we also shave the hair and weight the hair of the baby and give money to charity not silver..

:salam2:

Angeleyes

Thank you. We are both fine. I will relay this message to her. She thought that when we call the Azaan in the baby's ear, it was our way of "baptising' the baby as a muslim. :)

Kayote

Congrats Angeleyes. May Allah bless your family with peace & happiness.

Mabsoot, as always, many thanks for the information. As far as Im aware, back in Pakistan, while we do give Azan in the baby's ear, we donot give charity.

Insha'Allah I shall spread the word. Would you be kind enough to let me know the Hadith ref please.

Salam

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Congrats Angeleyes. May Allah bless your family with peace & happiness.

Mabsoot, as always, many thanks for the information. As far as Im aware, back in Pakistan, while we do give Azan in the baby's ear, we donot give charity.

Insha'Allah I shall spread the word. Would you be kind enough to let me know the Hadith ref please.

Salam
Assalamu alaykum

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]When al-Hasan was born, he (messenger) said to her (Fatima) : shave his head
and give the weight of his hair in silver to the poor. So, she shaved off his
hair, weighed it and its weight was a dirham or a part of dirham.

(Ahmad and al-Baihaqi)
[/FONT]

Angeleyes

Is it compulsory to shave their heads? Is it a sin not to do so? I did not shave my children's heads. When they were born, I sent money home to my mother to give to my mosque. I also did a small niaaj (is that how u spell it) when they were born.

iman27

Salam alaikum, mabrook (congratulations) on the birth of your baby. May Allah bless him with good health and a strong iman.

Aref

salam alaikum sis.
congratulations for your baby,may Allah make him strong in his health and iman and a gate for you to enter janna,and tel him from all of us !welcome to the ummah!

salam

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Is it compulsory to shave their heads? Is it a sin not to do so? I did not shave my children's heads. When they were born, I sent money home to my mother to give to my mosque. I also did a small niaaj (is that how u spell it) when they were born.

Assalamu alaykum,

nope, It is recommended, but not compulsory to do.

Its not a sin nor is it "bad" not to do it. The only thing which is a sin is when something is compulsory and it is ignored.

There are other good things a person can do for baby, which are Sunnah but not compulsory.

A tiny piece of date should be chewed well by the father or a pious person and then rubbed on the baby’s gums. This is according to Sunnah of Prophet:saw:

What name did you give your baby boy?? May Allah bless you and him and the whole family!

wasalam.

Angeleyes

Assalamu alaykum,

nope, It is recommended, but not compulsory to do.

Its not a sin nor is it "bad" not to do it. The only thing which is a sin is when something is compulsory and it is ignored.

There are other good things a person can do for baby, which are Sunnah but not compulsory.

A tiny piece of date should be chewed well by the father or a pious person and then rubbed on the baby’s gums. This is according to Sunnah of Prophet:saw:

What name did you give your baby boy?? May Allah bless you and him and the whole family!

wasalam.

my first born name is jameed miles and my second son is Xavier Aziz