Why Do You Pray?

Asalaamalikum,

The Prophet (saw) said there are 3 reasons for praying (besides it being obligatory):

1) Because you want something or need help
2) Because you fear the hell fire
3) Because you love God

I try to assess myself and I have prayed for all 3 reasons in different times and situations. I think human beings go through all 3 phases. I don't think one reason is greater than the other. What do you guys think?

mymohsin

Pls mak Duwa 4 me
Salam Brother,

Yeah bro masha allah for myself I have also offer my prayers for all the three reasons and for sure it is said by our prophet (pbuh) so it will be.

Yes I agree with u no reason is greater then other but to be frank with fear of Allah I think 2 reason always take me towards my prayers. May Allah accept ur prayers and duwas and blessed us with junnah. Ameen.

Allah Hafiz.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

I see prayer as a mercy. I feel it is a blessing to be cognizant to pray. If we did not love Allah subana talla we would not be aware of prayer. It is so recipocal. He out of His love makes us want to pray.

Proud2BeHumble

Seek Truth, Be Happy
:salam2:

There are many reasons including what you wrote:

* We are reminded 5 times a day that we as humanity are equal and we worship same creator. So no one (rich or poor, healthy or weak) is superior to other becuase we all bow to the same creator. Prayers bring unity.

* Prayers keeps us on track as we evaluate what we did in time duration between each prayer and ask Allah's forgivenss. It helps us to be on straight path 24 hours. It protect us from shaitan. Prayers make us humble and more determined to do good deeds.

* It brings discipline in our life. We have schedule in life and we wake up on time and sleep on time as we have to get up early in morning.

* It keeps our body and clothes clean

* It keeps our mind fresh and high confidence due to our direct contact with Allah.

* Prayers thus help to regulate not only our bodies but healthy society as a whole.

* Prayers gives us mental support we need during our bad time. Even during good time we dont get "crazy" with happiness but we thank Allah in prayers. Thus we balance our life.

* There are many medical benefits of prayers and wudu (search the forum)

* Prayers demands people to keep on memorizing the Quran and thus help in protecting it from any unintentional error.

* We can see that prayers help us to lead a good life and create a healthy society - and thus guide us for earning higher reward in hereafter.

* One should not think by praying to Allah he is doing some favour to him. Allah don't wish to burden us but to complete his favours upon us. If we are not praying it is we who are loosing not Allah.

"…..Allah does not wish

To place you in a difficulty,

But to make you clean,

And to complete

His favour to you,

That ye may be grateful"

[Surah 5:6]

There are obviously many more reasons. Allah knows the best.

:wasalam:

falomar

Asalaamalikum,

The Prophet (saw) said there are 3 reasons for praying (besides it being obligatory):

1) Because you want something or need help
2) Because you fear the hell fire
3) Because you love God

I try to assess myself and I have prayed for all 3 reasons in different times and situations. I think human beings go through all 3 phases. I don't think one reason is greater than the other. What do you guys think?

I think most people pray because they want something or need help.

Well....I might be wrong on this but I think that in the case of Muslims I think you pray because you want or need something, you fear hell fire and you love god, but most of it because it is "mandatory"...because in a very fast growing world, most people are too busy to separate time for praying,....So if it is not because it's mandatory "I think" most would rather pray 1, 2 times a day or at any other time of not conflicting with other daily responsibilities. ex. at working hours....

By the way, how muslims are suppose to pray 5 times a day?

sharaz

Fear Allah
Salaam,

Were only on this earth only to worship him and this is one of the ways

Allah the Exalted and Most Honored said,

And I created not the Jinn and mankind except that they should worship Me (Alone).

Proud2BeHumble

Seek Truth, Be Happy

Hi falomar,

Well....I might be wrong on this but I think that in the case of Muslims I think you pray because you want or need something, you fear hell fire and you love god, but most of it because it is "mandatory"...

Let us take an example of a student. He goes to school 6 days a week. If someone ask him why he go to school, there are two possible replies from him.

1) I go to school because my parents want me to go and or the teacher in school also want me to come. If i dont go they will punish me. It is mandatory for me to go school.

2) I go to school becuase my parents want me to become a doctor so that i can serve the humanity. So i can see that i go school for my own benefit and not for teacher's benefit.

Thus you can see even if it is cumpolsory for him to go to school it does not mean that he is unwillingly going out of compulsion but due to the fact he know what he is or will gain from it. Yes, there are many students who just go to school because they have to attain certain %age of attendence to avoid teacher's punishment and also to make themselve qualify for appearing in exams.

"...because in a very fast growing world, most people are too busy to separate time for praying,....So if it is not because it's mandatory "I think" most would rather pray 1, 2 times a day or at any other time of not conflicting with other daily responsibilities. ex. at working hours....

Now after few years, if the rent of tansportation increases or the traffic on the road increase, it does not mean that a wise student will stop going to school or cut short his school day from 6 to 3 days a week. Specially if he is aware of the second answer he will continue to go school happily no matter what obstacles comes. He will get up early daily in the morning, he will revise his subjects and he will complete his homework on time. He will try to go school on rainy day as well as he dont want to miss a class. He want to be a doctor at the end.

Similarly, if we know what is the actual reason we are praying for, and how it is benefiting us, we will not be affected by the pace of life.

By the way, how muslims are suppose to pray 5 times a day?

We pray five times a day:

1) Fajr - Early Morning
2) Thuhr - Noon Day
3) Asr - After Noon
4) Maghrib - Sun Set
5) Ishaa - Night

If you are asking the method of prayer, please check the forum. There is lot of info. But if your question is how we manage to pray five times and work at the same time than the answer is:

Praying in morning (1), sun set (3) and night (5) is not a problem for a normal office hour working person. We are most probably at home at these times. If we dont have mosque nearby we can pray it in our room or even on our way to home. Normally we have to just manage (2) and (3) prayer in our office time. Many office allow us to pray during office hours. It just need a prayer mat and some clean office corner. It will just need about 10 minutes to finish your obligatory prayers. If your office is strict in timings etc you may compensate them by working half hour extra. If you cant pray in office for some genuine reason, then you complete it at home as "missed prayers".

It hardly takes 1 hour approx. for all the prayers in a day. Can't we takeout 1 hour for our prayer out of 24 hours in a day? Apart from spritual and social benefits, we have lot of medical benefits in prayers, provided we perform them as per the method Allah has prescribed. Please refer to following attachements for details.

Medical Benefits of Ablution (Wudu)

Medical Benefits of Prayers

Ablution in Christianity

The way Muslim worship Allah with Ablution, bowing, kneeling, prostration and fasting is strange to Non-Muslims, but not to all Prophets.

While the ablution (washing of face, arms, feet and moistening of the hair) prior to worship is abandoned by modern Christians, it is still required by Muslims and previous Prophets, as seen in the following passage of the Bible:

And the Moses and Aaron and his sons washed their hands and their feet thereat; when they went into the tent of the congregation, and when they came near unto the altar, they washed; as the Lord commanded Moses" [Exodus 40: 31-32]

Muslim worship by bowing, kneeling, prostration and without shoes as done by previous Prophets:
"
"O come, let us worship and bow down: lets kneel before the Lord our maker." - [Psalm 95:6]

"And Joshua fell on his face to the earth, and did worship…." – [Joshua 5:14]

"And Elijah went up to the top of Carmel; and he cast himself down upon the earth, and put his face between his knees." – [I Kings 18:42]

"……. And they [Moses and Aaron] fell upon their faces: and the glory of the Lord appeared upon them." – [Numbers 20:6]

"And Abram fell on his face: and God talked with him, saying…." – [Genesis 17:3]

"And he (God) said (to Moses), Draw not nigh hither: put off thy shoes from off thy feet, for the place whereon thou standest is holy ground" – [Exodus 3:5 and Acts 7:33]

Muslim women perform their prayers with their head covered as seen in following passage.

"But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven. For if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame for a women to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered…..Judge in yourselves: is it comely that a woman pray unto God uncovered?"

Also, one christian has drawn following painting of Jesus showing him praying to God. Basically he tried to visualize this verse:

attachment.php

"And Joshua fell on his face to the earth, and did worship…." – [Joshua 5:14][/I]

However, this vizualization is not correct (X). Jesus bowed to God in the same way muslim bow by putting their face on ground in humbleness. If you look at the picture you can see Jesus did not fell on his face but rather on his hands.

We love Allah - Our creator, because we know (or at least try to know) what all favours he has done to us. We pray to him and praise him for his kindness and mercy which he has showered upon us. We love Allah because we know he is sustainer and provides us with all our needs. We love Allah because he will enter the believers into paradise with his mercy and justice, saving them from the hell.

Best Regards :)

Attachments

• jesus painting.jpg
    jesus painting.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 47

Ummzaina

We pray for many reasons, but I think for me number 1 is that I fear the day I have to answer my Lord why I did not pray and I have no excuses for not doing my duty obligated on me for being alive.

Yes there have been times when I pray for something also I wish Allah swt to love me and save me from trials and tribulations of this world and the Hereafter.

I used to be negligent, but since I found out that all me other deeds may completely be lost makes me more vigilent now.The other reason is, I keep thinking that in this world a small cut on my body makes me feel the pain for days, how will it be a small spark from the Hellfire and this thought propels me to not miss the prayer times.

May Allah swt make us more steadfast in our deen and guide us and keep us from going astray:tti_sister:

:wasalam:

Rosheen

Sister in Islam
I also try and pray so that on the day of judgement i should not be too ashamed. I am not perfect, I still pray in English and still not 5 times...but i feel my intentions are honourable. One day Inshallah I will pray correctly...thats my aim!

Saeed O.J

We pray because it is an obligation on every muslim. I personally pray because:

1) I fear ''Khouf'' Allah (SWT) from Hell fire, the grave punishment, hypocricy, lying, all the deeds that leads to hell fire ''wal eyatho bellah''..
2) I have hope ''Amal'' from AL-Rahman AL-Raheem. I hope that I Allah (SWT) love me, forgive me, bless me, and grant me and every muslim inshallah to Jannah.
3) Praying 5 times a day, plus sunnah ''nawafel'' is as if I will meet Allah (SWT) to thank him for this day because all the blessings educationbecause praying for 5 minutes to the creator Allah (SWT) is an honour upon every muslim. During ''Suj'uud'' I know that I am close to Allah (SWT), and I can ask anything I like, and make dua.
3) I know Allah will be pleased when I pray on-time with ''Ikhlas''.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

How do you pray five times a day? You pray five times a day by making time. It is simply an effort to please Allah. Per chance I am on the road...and can not pray I make rememberance using prayer beads. It is a process of making your priority to Allah first. The more you do it the easier it becomes.

falomar

Hi falomar,

Let us take an example of a student. He goes to school 6 days a week. If someone ask him why he go to school, there are two possible replies from him.

1) I go to school because my parents want me to go and or the teacher in school also want me to come. If i dont go they will punish me. It is mandatory for me to go school.

2) I go to school becuase my parents want me to become a doctor so that i can serve the humanity. So i can see that i go school for my own benefit and not for teacher's benefit.

Thus you can see even if it is cumpolsory for him to go to school it does not mean that he is unwillingly going out of compulsion but due to the fact he know what he is or will gain from it. Yes, there are many students who just go to school because they have to attain certain %age of attendence to avoid teacher's punishment and also to make themselve qualify for appearing in exams.

Now after few years, if the rent of tansportation increases or the traffic on the road increase, it does not mean that a wise student will stop going to school or cut short his school day from 6 to 3 days a week. Specially if he is aware of the second answer he will continue to go school happily no matter what obstacles comes. He will get up early daily in the morning, he will revise his subjects and he will complete his homework on time. He will try to go school on rainy day as well as he dont want to miss a class. He want to be a doctor at the end.

Similarly, if we know what is the actual reason we are praying for, and how it is benefiting us, we will not be affected by the pace of life.

We pray five times a day:

1) Fajr - Early Morning
2) Thuhr - Noon Day
3) Asr - After Noon
4) Maghrib - Sun Set
5) Ishaa - Night

If you are asking the method of prayer, please check the forum. There is lot of info. But if your question is how we manage to pray five times and work at the same time than the answer is:

Praying in morning (1), sun set (3) and night (5) is not a problem for a normal office hour working person. We are most probably at home at these times. If we dont have mosque nearby we can pray it in our room or even on our way to home. Normally we have to just manage (2) and (3) prayer in our office time. Many office allow us to pray during office hours. It just need a prayer mat and some clean office corner. It will just need about 10 minutes to finish your obligatory prayers. If your office is strict in timings etc you may compensate them by working half hour extra. If you cant pray in office for some genuine reason, then you complete it at home as "missed prayers".

It hardly takes 1 hour approx. for all the prayers in a day. Can't we takeout 1 hour for our prayer out of 24 hours in a day? Apart from spritual and social benefits, we have lot of medical benefits in prayers, provided we perform them as per the method Allah has prescribed. Please refer to following attachements for details.

Medical Benefits of Ablution (Wudu)

Medical Benefits of Prayers

Ablution in Christianity

The way Muslim worship Allah with Ablution, bowing, kneeling, prostration and fasting is strange to Non-Muslims, but not to all Prophets.

While the ablution (washing of face, arms, feet and moistening of the hair) prior to worship is abandoned by modern Christians, it is still required by Muslims and previous Prophets, as seen in the following passage of the Bible:

And the Moses and Aaron and his sons washed their hands and their feet thereat; when they went into the tent of the congregation, and when they came near unto the altar, they washed; as the Lord commanded Moses" [Exodus 40: 31-32]

Muslim worship by bowing, kneeling, prostration and without shoes as done by previous Prophets:
"
"O come, let us worship and bow down: lets kneel before the Lord our maker." - [Psalm 95:6]

"And Joshua fell on his face to the earth, and did worship…." – [Joshua 5:14]

"And Elijah went up to the top of Carmel; and he cast himself down upon the earth, and put his face between his knees." – [I Kings 18:42]

"……. And they [Moses and Aaron] fell upon their faces: and the glory of the Lord appeared upon them." – [Numbers 20:6]

"And Abram fell on his face: and God talked with him, saying…." – [Genesis 17:3]

"And he (God) said (to Moses), Draw not nigh hither: put off thy shoes from off thy feet, for the place whereon thou standest is holy ground" – [Exodus 3:5 and Acts 7:33]

Muslim women perform their prayers with their head covered as seen in following passage.

"But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven. For if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame for a women to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered…..Judge in yourselves: is it comely that a woman pray unto God uncovered?"

Also, one christian has drawn following painting of Jesus showing him praying to God. Basically he tried to visualize this verse:

attachment.php

"And Joshua fell on his face to the earth, and did worship…." – [Joshua 5:14][/I]

However, this vizualization is not correct. Jesus bowed to God in the same way muslim bow by putting their face on ground in humbleness. If you look at the picture you can see Jesus did not fell on his face but rather on his hands.

We love Allah - Our creator, because we know (or at least try to know) what all favours he has done to us. We pray to him and praise him for his kindness and mercy which he has showered upon us. We love Allah because we know he is sustainer and provides us with all our needs. We love Allah because he will enter the believers into paradise with his mercy and justice, saving them from the hell.

Best Regards :)

Tremendous....I need to ask no more....