Celebrating Mother's Day

ayman

La Ilaha Illa Allah
Staff member
Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah

Question:

What is the shar’i ruling on celebrating festivals such as the birthday of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), children’s birthdays, Mother’s Day, Tree Week and national holidays?

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

Firstly: ‘Eid (festival) is the name given to something which returns (ya’ood), and is used to describe gatherings which happen repeatedly, on a yearly, monthly or weekly basis, etc. So an ‘eid includes a number of things, such as a day which comes regularly, e.g., ‘Eid al-Fitr and Friday; gatherings on that day; and actions such as acts of worship and customs which are done on that day.

Secondly: any of these things which are intended as rituals or acts of worship aimed at drawing closer to Allaah or glorifying Him in order to earn reward, or which involve imitating the people of Jaahiliyyah or any other groups of kaafirs, is a prohibited bid’ah, an innovation which comes under the general meaning of the hadeeth: “Whoever innovates something in this matter of ours (Islam) that is not part of it, will have it rejected.” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari and Muslim).

Examples of that include Mawlid al-Nabi (the Prophet’s birthday), Mother’s Day and national holidays, because in the first case there are innovated acts of worship which Allaah has not prescribed, and because it involves imitation of the Christians and other kaafirs. And in the second and third cases there is imitation of the kuffaar. But in cases where the intention is to organize work to serve the interests of the ummah and to put its affairs straight, or to organize programs of study, or to bring employees together for work purposes etc., which in and of themselves do not involve acts of worship and glorification, then these are a kind of benign innovation which do not come under the meaning of the hadeeth, “Whoever innovates something in this matter of ours (Islam) that is not a part of it will have it rejected.” So there is nothing wrong with such things, indeed they are allowed by sharee’ah.

And Allaah is the Source of strength. May Allaah bless our Prophet Muhammad and his family and companions, and grant them peace.

Karachi_prince

well muslims should generally avoid mother day, because when mothers day came about origionally i belive it was a europe, it actually had nothing to do with your mother as such, but it was about returning to your mother church. In other words going to the church in your home town, village etc (or so i beleive a history teacher of mine once mentioned) correct me if i am wrong anyone but i am sure this is the origion of mothers day.

talibulislam

mother day

these meaning less days,mothers day,fathers day,thanks giving,birthdays,new years,x-mass,birth of prophet muhammad (saww) has nothing to do with our deen,in united states it only benifits busnesses,so they make it seem like some thing really important,its capitol economy so every thing revolves around money,am in a hiphop clothing busness,some time poor parents still become the victoms of there kids,ending up buying them clothes on mother or fathers day,incase that poor dad/mom come back next day to ask them for help,same kid might reply this ain't no mother/father day,islam does not limit us to these rituals or culture,hopefully we dont fall into these insh'Allah

slaveofAllah88

Slave of Allah (swt)
aslam o alikum
i told my mom that but she tells that she likes it when i give her a present and she want me to buy her something out of love without the intention of mothers's day ?? would that be right??

Nurain

Asalamu alaykum,

For me the hadith that we only have 2 Eid, and no more.

I love my mother everyday and she knows it. She does not demand such. Up your affection for her brother shaheerpak. Lol

slaveofAllah88

Slave of Allah (swt)
Asalamu alaykum,

For me the hadith that we only have 2 Eid, and no more.

I love my mother everyday and she knows it. She does not demand such. Up your affection for her brother shaheerpak. Lol

:salam2:
lol i love my mother very much too :) i love and hug her everyday :p i guess she seems nice mother day deal :p and she wants to get something lol

ruki4eva

Muslim Unity...
i want to share some pictures my kids made for me not on mothers day but they always make these kind of pics for me .

MashaAllah thats so cute sister
jazakallahu khaiyr for sharing with us
May Allah bless them:) and keep them in his
protection Ameen
inshaAllah make them pious too
:wasalam:

Kakorot

In Islam it's mothers day everyday, fathers day everyday. we just don't show our parents care and respect just for one day, where everyone buy them gifts etc, we should always buy them gifts and treat them with respect and care. (though i get told off a lot by my parents, sometimes for no apparent reason, but still they are my parents and i have no right to answer back to them, even if they are wrong themselves). :):):)