Body Building is Annoying

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Assalamu alaykum,

Just a small rant.. :)

I dont think it is so wise for brothers just for them to go gym and do "Body Building" as that is not really "Fitness" . I get annoyed hearing that people are getting fit by drinking tonnes of powder and just pumping iron at their local gyms.

That is not getting healthy or fit, this is because the whole body building idea is aimed at just "improving" physique i.e. Bulking up and Cutting. Where you just train and train and then try and lose fat to cut up.

This is all fine if you want to look like a muscle bound gorilla, but really it is not going to do you much good in terms of general well being and real fitness.

Endurance is needed, being able to run/jog at least 8 miles without a break is what I would consider a good aim. Maybe even something to do once every 2 weeks even.

Those who simply go to the gym to get "Big"will not even be able to run 1 mile in less than 10 minutes, be able to defend themselves in a fight that might last a little longer than 10 seconds.

- If you look at most sports athletes never just pump iron, but do a whole array of fitness routines, from skipping, to body weight calisthenics i.e. pressups, squats etc. Doing 100s of reps of each. Together with good aerobic excercise that strengthens the heart, lungs and gets person active for a lot longer.

I just feel that our brothers got to do this properly lol.. Rambo and Commando wouldnt last long in the real world !! (their premature heart attacks due to steroids is testimony to that)

Do your research (google is good starting point!! or go to a boxing gym where they do things like sled pulling, firemans walks etc) and dont copy what the other people do in your gym, nine times out of ten they havent a clue! but, try and find out what you can about cross training and conditioning. Basically things that boxers or Mixed Martial Arts people do.

Several people can go into a gym or do excercises and come out the gym with totally different results, all depending on what they do, their nutrition and goals. - Our goals as Muslim men should be to be able to defend ourselves, our familes and our honour. Plus, im sure you will get rid of any fat and look good too!! but, please make sure you dont go into this crazy "bulking up" thing. It is no good at all..

So, you should do weight training, but not body building. Make sure you do a lot of genuine endurance training by doing not just weights but high rep body weight excercises and cardio. Just mix it all up.

wasalam.

hussain.mahammed

a lonely traveller
Jazakallahu khair akhee. Thats really important advice to the brothers. Instead of trying to build muscles we should think of getting fit. I can proudly say that I can run almost 5kms at a stretch. But thats not enough I feel still.

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Jazakallahu khair akhee. Thats really important advice to the brothers. Instead of trying to build muscles we should think of getting fit. I can proudly say that I can run almost 5kms at a stretch. But thats not enough I feel still.

:salam2:

I meant that shouldnt just focus on getting or looking "Big", that is what those people who go on those body building contests do. But, actually doing proper training that makes person more strong and fit, that increases stamina/endurance etc.

BGfromGB

What for.

What these people do will inevetibly do their own bodies so much harm. I am told these body builders consume a minimum of half a kg of meat and 6 eggs every day.
While they have rippling muscles for show purposes only, I'm absolutely certain that beneath their muscles their organs must be uder abnormal and severe strain.
I know of someone who did it for show purposes. At the tender age of 50, instead putting on the muscles, he is spending so much time in the gym trying to get rid of the fatty flab. Let alone being hospitalised for a hernia.
With all the muscles they've built up, They are far from fit, nowhere near others such as runnere, footballers and even ping pong players!!!
But that's their choice

hussain.mahammed

a lonely traveller
Burpees are best to develop endurance and stamina together with squats. Brother Mabsoot, your HIIT advice has been helping me a lot Jazakallahu khair.
wa/salam

Raed

Muslim Student
Jazak allah khyran brother mabsoot,

thats what i always try to tell my friends, and at the end they say you are right its not fitness or that we have stamina, but we look 'scary'and tough, and also we attract girls :s

ok enough say,
you know what type of people they are :s

All what i have to say that being fit and have a good stamina, helps you as a muslims to fulfil your duty towards allah, family and the ummah

and in one hadeeth the prophet mohamed (sala allah alihe wasalam) said: teach your children swimming, shooting and horse riding

wa salam alikum

Shahzad

well, every one needs body building to a particular extent. I advise u ppl to make ur body athletic and then maintain it, instead being Arnold schwazznegger ( its difficult to spell his name)

dna1987

Muslim Guy
Body building is annoying for me if it's a lady who's doing it - yikes!
For men, it depends, I personally know two very chipped guys that are 5th dan blackbelt in taekwondo (they are super flexible with there legs and are also very strong).
Also in my Biomed degree, so far from what I've heard of proper protein shakes, they aren't all that bad.
If you go extreme with the body building or shakes, you're going to lose a bit of mobility - - but going extreme in anything is not a good thing anyway. "Everything in moderaton".
Salam alaikum.

Mohommed Fazil

ASSALAMU ALIKUM

ASSALAMU ALIKUM,
IM NEW ONE FOR THIS SITE. IM LOOKING WERRY TINN. HOW CAN I BUILD AMY BODY.... IF I KNOW PLEASE HELP ME.

AKHI

Allahuakhbar
Not sure if i agree with u guys. I use to work out in a club. I am also a qualified Fitness trainer but i am not into this line anymore. I did weight & cardio but minus the protein shakes. Did take pills.

Well long story short. Body building is not as easy as you guys thinks. It take a lot of time,money, effort,pain,injuries & dedication. It take an average of 3 years to get that arnold "what'shisnamenowamayor" kind of results.

One thing that is annoying is the showing off part in public. Well, we have alot of Muslim brothers who are competing in Int competition.

Point is bodybuilding is a sport that is why it is in all major games including the Olympic.

I may not prove much of a point with much supporting detail but it's a lame man explanation. You will never understand until you tried it.

Asalam'mualaikum

booya

Yes true..all those models in bodybuilding magazine covers use some kind of performance enhancing substances (doesn't have to be steroids), and they probably train hours per day. For the average guy training 3-4 times a week drug-free, there is no way he can get close to those models.

For me, I'm using a program used to develop athletes: no isolation movements, balanced pushing/pulling, etc.

muslimah sister

What does islam say about bodybuilding???????

Are you not changing your appearance?

Are you not taking all sorts of different products that could be harming your body?

:SMILY346:

Salaam,

I just had to post this up...I've added jump roping to my routine for awhile now. I've been trying to epitomize this guy:

[yt]lVkYjp4mqnc[/yt]

BrotherZubayr

Zubayr Hussain
ASSALAMU ALIKUM,
IM NEW ONE FOR THIS SITE. IM LOOKING WERRY TINN. HOW CAN I BUILD AMY BODY.... IF I KNOW PLEASE HELP ME.

:salam2: brother, if you are very thin i'd say you'd need to put on weight, up your calories, eat more foods, meats, depending on how much weight you want to gain. You must exercise aswell if you want some muscle, i'd say you start with push ups and if you can get a chin up bar, and you can do chin ups/pull ups. Hope this helps