5 Things to Do Before Sleeping

The_truth

5 Things to Do Before Sleeping

1. Preperations Before Going to Bed

1. Recite: Bismillah بِسْمِ اللَّهِ (In the name of Allah) before closing the doors of the house, before covering utensils with food in them, switch off or turn off fires, light etc (Bukhari)

If one cannot find anything with which to cover the utensil then one should place a stick across the top of the utensil. (Muslim-Vol.2, pg.170)

2. Before climbing into bed, dust the bed thrice with the corner of your clothes. (Bukhari, Muslim, Abu Dawood, Tirmidhi, Ibn Majah)

3. To make Miswaak before retiring to bed even if one has already made it for Isha salaat. (Kitabut Tahaarah and Sunnats)

4. To sleep in a state of Wudhu, (Attargheeb, Abu Dawood)

5. To sleep on the right facing the Qibla with the right hand underneath the head like a pillow and with the knees slightly bent (Like in the recovery position). (Bukhari)

2. Surah's to Recite Before Going to Sleep

1. Surah Waaqi’a should be read before sleeping as it saves one from hunger and poverty (Attargheeb)

2. Recite Surah Mulk before sleeping for protection from grave punishment:
The Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said, ‘Surah al Mulk is the protector from the torment of the grave ‘ (Sahihul Jamiea 1/680, Hakim 2/498 & Nasai)

Jabir (RA) said it was the custom of the Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) not to go to sleep until he had read Tabarakalladhi Biyadihil Mulk and Alif Laam Meem Tanzeel. (Ahmad, Tirmidhi and Darami)

3. Dua's to Recite Before Going to sleep

1. When one goes to bed then do the following: ‘When retiring to his bed every night, the Prophet would hold his palms together, spit (A form of spitting comprising mainly of air with little spittle) in them, recite the last three chapters (Al-Ikhlaas, Al-Falaq, An-Naas) of the Quran and then wipe over his entire body as much as possible with his hands, beginning with his head and face and then all parts of the body, he would do this 3 times.’ (Tirmidhi)

2. Whoever reads the following when he lies down to sleep will have a guardian from Allah remain with him and Satan will not be able to come near him until he rises in the morning:

"اللهُ لَا إِلَهَ إِلَّا هُوَ الْحَيُّ الْقَيُّومُ لَا تَأْخُذُهُ سِنَةٌ وَلَا نَوْمٌ لَهُ مَا فِي السَّمَاوَاتِ وَمَا فِي الْأَرْضِ مَنْ ذَا الَّذِي يَشْفَعُ عِنْدَهُ إِلَّا بِإِذْنِهِ يَعْلَمُ مَا بَيْنَ أَيْدِيهِمْ وَمَا خَلْفَهُمْ وَلَا يُحِيطُونَ بِشَيْءٍ مِنْ عِلْمِهِ إِلَّا بِمَا شَاءَ وَسِعَ كُرْسِيُّهُ السَّمَاوَاتِ وَالْأَرْضَ وَلَا يَئُودُهُ حِفْظُهُمَا وَهُوَ الْعَلِيُّ الْعَظِيمُ".

Allaahu laa 'ilaaha 'illaa Huwal-Hayyul-Qayyoom, laa ta'khuthuhu sinatun wa laa nawm, lahu maa fis-samaawaati wa maa fil-'ardh, man thal-lathee yashfa'u 'indahu 'illaa bi'ithnihi, ya'lamu maa bayna 'aydeehim wa maa khalfahum, wa laa yuheetoona bishay'im-min 'ilmihi 'illaa bimaa shaa'a, wasi'a kursiyyuhus-samaawaati wal'ardha, wa laa ya'ooduhu hifdhuhumaa, wa Huwal- 'Aliyyul- 'Adheem.

Allah! There is no God but He, the Ever Living, the One Who sustains and protects all that exists. Neither slumber nor sleep overtakes Him. To Him belongs whatever is in the heavens and whatever is on the earth. Who is he that can intercede with Him except with His Permission? He knows what happens to them in this world, and what will happen to them in the Hereafter. And they will never encompass anything of His Knowledge except that which He wills. His Throne extends over the heavens and the earth, and He feels no fatigue in guarding and preserving them. And He is the Most High, the Most Great. (Al-Bukhari)

3. The Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said: ‘Whoever reads this when he lies down to sleep will have a guardian from Allah remain with him and Satan will not be able to come near him until he rises in the morning:

"آمَنَ الرَّسُولُ بِمَا أُنْزِلَ إِلَيْهِ مِنْ رَبِّهِ وَالْمُؤْمِنُونَ كُلٌّ آمَنَ بِاللهِ وَمَلَائِكَتِهِ وَكُتُبِهِ وَرُسُلِهِ لَا نُفَرِّقُ بَيْنَ أَحَدٍ مِنْ رُسُلِهِ وَقَالُوا سَمِعْنَا وَأَطَعْنَا غُفْرَانَكَ رَبَّنَا وَإِلَيْكَ الْمَصِيرُ ۞ لَا يُكَلِّفُ اللهُ نَفْسًا إِلَّا وُسْعَهَا لَهَا مَا كَسَبَتْ وَعَلَيْهَا مَا اكْتَسَبَتْ رَبَّنَا لَا تُؤَاخِذْنَا إِنْ نَسِينَا أَوْ أَخْطَأْنَا رَبَّنَا وَلَا تَحْمِلْ عَلَيْنَا إِصْرًا كَمَا حَمَلْتَهُ عَلَى الَّذِينَ مِنْ قَبْلِنَا رَبَّنَا وَلَا تُحَمِّلْنَا مَا لَا طَاقَةَ لَنَا بِهِ وَاعْفُ عَنَّا وَاغْفِرْ لَنَا وَارْحَمْنَا أَنْتَ مَوْلَانَا فَانْصُرْنَا عَلَى الْقَوْمِ الْكَافِرِينَ" [Al-Baqarah: 285-286]

'Aamanar-Rasoolu bimaa 'unzila mir-Rabbihi walmu'minoon, kullun 'aamana billaahi wa malaa'ikatihi wa Kutubihi wa Rusulihi, laa nufarriqu bayna 'ahadim-mir-Rusulihi, wa qaaloo sami'naa wa 'ata'naa ghufraanaka Rabbanaa wa 'ilaykal-maseer. Laa yukallifullaahu nafsan 'illaa wus'ahaa, lahaa maa kasabat wa 'alayhaa mak-tasabat, Rabbanaa laa tu'aakhithnaa 'in naseenaa 'aw 'akhta'naa, Rabbanaa wa laa tahmil 'alaynaa 'isran kamaa hamaltahu 'alal-latheena min qablinaa, Rabbanaa wa laa tuhammilnaa maa laa taaqata lanaa bihi, wa'fu 'annaa, waghfir lanaa warhamnaa, 'Anta Mawlaanaa fansurnaa 'alal-qawmil-kaafireen.

The Messenger believes in what has been send down to him from his Lord, and so do the believers. Each one believes in Allah, His Angels, His Books, and His Messengers. They say: "We make no distinction between any of His Messengers," and they say: "We hear, and we obey. (We seek) Your Forgiveness, our Lord, and to You is the return." Allah burdens not a person beyond what he can bear. He gets reward for that (good) which he has earned, and he is punished for that (evil) which he has earned. Our Lord! Punish us not if we forget or fall into error. Our Lord! Lay not on us a burden like that which You did lay on those before us. Our Lord! Put not on us a burden greater than we have strength to bear. Pardon us and grant us forgiveness. Have mercy on us. You are our Protector, and help us against the disbelieving people. (Muslim 1/554)

4. Also reciting the last ten verses in Surah Baqarah at night is said to ward away Shaythaan and calamities, illnesses, worries from ones home so ones whole family is protected that night.

These 10 verses are: The first four ayah’s of Surah Baqarah; Ayat ul Kursi and the two verses following it and the last three verses of the Surah.

5. If one of you rises from his bed and then returns to it he should dust it with the edge of his garment three times for he does not know what has occurred in his absence and when he lies down he should supplicate:

بِاسْمِكَ رَبِّي وَضَعْتُ جَنْبِي، وَبِكَ أَرْفَعُهُ، فَإِنْ أَمْسَكْتَ نَفْسِي فَارْحَمْهَا، وَإِنْ أَرْسَلْتَهَا فَاحْفَظْهَا، بِمَا تَحْفَظُ بِهِ عِبَادَكَ الصَّالِحِينَ".

Bismika Rabbee wadha'tu janbee, wa bika 'arfa'uhu, fa'in 'amsakta nafsee farhamhaa, wa 'in 'arsaltahaa fahfadhhaa, bimaa tahfadhu bihi 'ibaadakas-saaliheen.

‘In Your name my Lord, I lie down and in Your name I rise, so if You should take my soul then have mercy upon it, and if You should return my soul then protect it in the manner You do so with Your righteous servants.’ (Al-Bukhari 1 1/ 126 and Muslim 4/2084)

6. The Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) would place his right hand under his cheek when about to sleep and supplicate:

"اللَّهُمَّ قِنِي عَذَابَكَ يَوْمَ تَبْعَثُ عِبَادَكَ".

Allaahumma qinee 'athaabaka yawma tab'athu 'ibaadaka. (Three times).

‘O Allah, protect me from Your punishment on the day Your servants are resurrected.’ (Abu Dawud 4/311)

6. Also read this dua:

"بِاسْمِكَ اللَّهُمَّ أَمُوتُ وَأَحْيَا".

Bismikal-lahumma amootu wa-ahya.

‘In Your name O Allah, I live and die.’ (Muslim 4/ 2083)

7. At the time of difficulty when sleeping: Zaid bin Thaabit (RA) complained to Rasulallah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) of not being able to go to sleep at times and he advised him to recite the following dua:

اللَّهُمَّ غَارَتِ النُّجُومُ وَهَدَأَتِ الْعُيُونُ وَأَنْتَ حَيٌّ قَيُّومٌ * لَا تَأْخُذُكَ سِنَةٌ وَلَا نَوْمٌ يَا حَيُّ يَا قَيُّومُ أَهْدِئْ لَيْلِي وَأَنِمْ عَيْنِي

Allahummah ghaarithinnujumu wa hadaathil uyoonu wa antha hayyun qayyumulla tha’ khudhu ka sinathuwalaa nawmun yaa hayyun yaa qayyoomu a’hde’ laylee wa anim ‘aynee

Oh Allah the stars have sunk in and the eyes have become tranquil and quite and You are alive and ever lasting neither does sleep overcome You. Oh the living and ever lasting one make my night my tranquil and give my eyes sleep. (Ibn Sunni, Hisnul Hasin)

8. If afraid to go to sleep or feeling lonely or depressed then recite:

"أَعُوذُ بِكَلِمَاتِ اللهِ التَّامَّاتِ مِنْ غَضَبِهِ وَعِقَابِهِ، وَشَرِّ عِبَادِهِ، وَمِنْ هَمَزَاتِ الشَّيَاطِينِ وَأَنْ يَحْضُرُونِ".

'A'oothu bikalimaatil-laahit-taammaati min ghadhabihi wa 'iqaabihi, wa sharri 'ibaadihi, wa min hamazaatish-shayaateeni wa 'an yahdhuroon.

I seek refuge in the Perfect Words of Allah from His anger and His punishment, from the evil of His slaves and from the taunts of devils and from their presence. (Abu Dawud 4/12, At- Tirmithi 3/171)

9. This is to be recited if you turn over in bed during the night:

"لَا إِلَهَ إِلَّا اللهُ الْوَاحِدُ اْقَهَّارُ، رَبُّ السَّمَاوَاتِ وَالْأَرْضِ وَمَا بَيْنَهُمَا الْعَزِيزُ الْغَفَّارُ".

Laa 'ilaaha 'illallaahul-Waahidul-Qahhaaru, Rabbus-samaawaati wal'ardhi wa maa baynahumal-'Azeezul-Ghaffaaru.

There is none worthy of worship but Allah, the One, the Victorious, Lord of the heavens and the earth and all that is between them, the All-Mighty, the All-Forgiving. (See An-Nasa'i, 'Amalul-Yawm wal-Laylah, and Ibn As-Sunni)

10. If after sleeping one experience a pleasant dream then when ones eyes open then say: “Alhamdulillah” – All Praise be to Allah, then the pleasant dream should only be revealed to trustworthy learned ones so that the dream can be interpreted correctly.

11. If one experiences an unpleasant dream then one should spittle (A form of spitting comprising mainly of air with little spit) three times on the left side and then recite three times:

“Audhobillaahi Minashaythaanirajeem”.

I seek refuge with Allah from the evil of shaythan

Also change one’s position to the other side and sleep. (Muslim-Vol.2, chapter of dreams)

The dream should NOT be revealed to anyone then it will bring no harm to the person (Bukhari, Muslim)

4. Remembrance of Allah (Dhikr) Before Falling Asleep

The remembrance of Allah just when one is about to sleep shall be a means of that person achieving high stages in Jannah. (Attargheeb)

1. Asthaghfaar three times:

Asthaghfirullah halladhee laa ilaaha ilallahuwal hayyul qayyumu wa athubu ilay

I seek forgiveness from Allah besides whom there is none worthy of worship, the living, the sustainer of life and to Him i repent. (Tirmidhi-Vol.2, pg.177)

2. The Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi wasallam) said to Ali and Fatimah- (May Allah be pleased with them) after they approached him for a servant: "Shall I not direct you both to something better than a servant"?

When you go to bed say:

Subhaanallah. (Thirty-three times)
Alhamdulillah. (Thirty-three times)
Allaahu Akbar. (Thirty-four times)

…for that is indeed better for you both than a servant.' (Bukhari, Muslim, Abu Dawood, Tirmidhi)

Also read Kalimah Tayyaba afterwards:

3. Before you go to bed perform Wudu as you would for prayer, then lie down on your right side and recite:

"اللَّهُمَّ أَسْلَمْتُ نَفْسِي إِلَيْكَ، وَفَوَّضْتُ أَمْرِي إِلَيْكَ، وَوَجَّهْتُ وَجْهِي إِلَيْكَ، وَأَلْجَأْتُ ظَهْرِي إِلَيْكَ، رَغْبَةً وَرَهْبَةً إِلَيْكَ، لَا مَلْجَأَ وَلّا مَنْجَا مِنْكَ إِلَّا إِلَيْكَ، آمَنْتُ بِكِتَابِكَ وَبِنَبِيِّكَ الَّذِي أَرْسَلْتَ".

Allahumma aslamtu nafsee ilayk, wafawwadtu amree ilayk, wawajjahtu wajhee ilayk, wa-alja/tu thahree ilayk, raghbatan warahbatan ilayk, la maljaa wala manja minka illa ilayk, amantu bikitabikal-lathee anzalt, wabinabiyyikal-lathee arsalt.

‘O Allah, I submit my soul unto You, and I entrust my affair unto You, and I turn my face towards You, and I totally rely on You, in hope and fear of You. Verily there is neither refuge nor safe haven from You except with You. I believe in Your Book which You have revealed and in Your Prophet whom You have sent.’

The Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said: "Whoever says this and dies in his sleep has died in a state of the natural monotheism (Fitrah)." (Al-Bukhari, Muslim 4/2081)

4. When you go to bed, glorify Him and praise Him and magnify Allah one hundred times: That will be one hundred on the tongue and a thousand in the scales. Who among you does 2500 sayi’aat (bad deeds) in one day?’ They said: ‘How could we not count (our sins)?’ He said: ‘The Shaytaan comes to any one of you whilst he is praying and says, Remember this, remember that, until he finishes his prayer and does not do (this Dhikr), or he comes to him when he is lying down and makes him sleepy, until he falls asleep (without doing this Dhikr).’” (Sunan al-Tirmidhi, 3332)

5. Rasulallah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) stated that whosoever goes to bed in a state of purity (i.e. Wudhu) and such a person remembers Almighty Allah until he falls asleep then, whatever dua such a person makes (whether pertaining to this world or the next) while asleep and turning side to side, such dua’s shall certainly be granted to him by Almighty Allah. (Mishkaat)

5. Having Intention to Pray Tahajjud

1. To sleep with the intention of getting up for Tahajjud (Nisaa’i)

2. To pray Tahajjud before Subho Sadiq (Dawn) (Mishkaat)

3. Rasulallah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) prayed long rak’ahs which caused swelling of his blessed feet. Whilst reciting Qur’an in Salaah Rasulallah used to cry excessively and this caused a wheezing sound coming from his blessed chest as if a pot was being boiled. This is due to the fear Rasulallah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) had of Almighty Allah.

4. It is recommended to start the night vigil with two short rakats, because of the hadith of Abu Hurraira (RA) that the Prophet Muhammad (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said, “It you get up for night prayer, start with two short rakats.” (Muslim, Ahmad, Abu Dawud)

5. Abu Hurraira (RA) reports that the Messenger of Allah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) was asked, “What prayer is most virtuous, after the obligatory prayers?” He said, “Prayer in the depths of the night.” (Muslim, Abu Dawud, Tirmidhi, Nisaa’i, Ibn Majah)

Note: For Tahajjud one should read at least 2 Rak’ahs upto 12 rak’ahs. This is Sunnah. However there is no limit for (Nafil) voluntary worship. One may also do a lot of Dhikrullah as well as recitation of the Qur’an.

The dua's at the time of Tahajjud are very readily accepted by Almighty Allah and one should cry and repent to Allah during this time. If one cannot cry due to the hardness of ones heart due major sins then one should at least make a face as if one is crying.

Just as a mother tends to her baby quickly and promptly when it cries then in the same way Allah tends to his servant quicker when his servant is crying and sincere.

We should try and pray Tahajjud every night as it is one of the best and most rewarding Nafil prayers one can possible pray and makes it possible for a person to gain the top ranks of Jannah (Heaven). If we can’t pray everyday then we should at least pray as much as we can.

Ibn Mas’ud (RA) was asked, ‘I cannot pray at night.’ He said, ‘Your sins have prevented you.’

If one is overcome by sleep then it is best to sleep but one should always ensure that one does not miss Fajr. Men should do their best to attend Fajr with Jamaat as this is huge reward and women get the same reward for praying at home.

May Allah Give us the ability to act upon these Sunnah's. Ameen

The_truth

Dua when the Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) lay on his right side:

Al-Bara' bin 'Azib (May Allah be pleased with them) reported:

Whenever Messenger of Allah(Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) went to bed, he would lie down on his right side and recite: "Allahumma aslamtu nafsi ilaika, wa wajjahtu wajhi ilaika, wa fawwadtu amri ilaika, wa 'alja'tu zahri ilaika, raghbatan wa rahbatan ilaika, la malja'a wa la manja illa ilaika. Amantu bikitabikal-ladhi anzalta, wa nabiyyikal-ladhi arsalta [O Allah! I have submitted myself to You, I have turned my face to You, committed my affairs to You, and depend on You for protection out of desire for You and out of fear of You (expecting Your reward and fearing Your punishment). There is no refuge and no place of safety from You but with You. I believed in the Book You have revealed, and in the Prophet You have sent (i.e., Muhammad (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam)).]"[Al-Bukhari].