52 weak or fabricated ahadith

Jibran

Asalamaulaikum.

Generally in Islamic law only the authentic (Sahih) and good (Hasan) Ahadith are used in deriving the rules. The weak (da'if) Ahadith have no value for the purpose of Shari'ah. However, the scholars of Hadith sometimes differ among themselves in the determination of some Ahadith whether they are weak or not weak. The 'Ulama have sometimes used weak Ahadith for moral and spiritual (fada'il) matters. It is important that when one uses a weak Hadith for any reason then one should explain it to the people that this is weak Hadith and it is being used for this particular reason.

Shaikh Nasir ul-Dean Al Albani (RH) wrote a series of books called "Silsilat Al Ahadith Addaeefa" the series of weak narrations. These four volume books contain about 2,000 weak Ahadith. Every Hadith's weakness is explained in details. When one goes through, one will be amazed and astonished to realize that how Muslims have unwittingly used so many weak narrations in the past to support an argument or a wrong practice.
The following 52 weak Ahadith are taken from that series and numbered them as a reference to their locations in the book of Albani.

1." The Deen is the brain, and he who has no religion has no brain." Batil No.1

2."Whose prayer does not stop him from evil and sins he will only get further away from Allah." Batil No.2

3."Work for this life as if you are living forever and the Hereafter as if you will die tomorrow." Hadith No.8

4."I have been sent as a teacher." Da'if No.11

5." Two types of people from my Ummah, if they are good my people will be good: the leaders and scholars." Fabricated No.16

6." I don't need to ask Him for He knows my affair."
This saying is attributed to prophet Ibrahim (AS). It's alleged he said it before he was thrown into the fire. Fabricated. No.21

7. "Adam (AS) saw the Kalima (La ilaha illallah Muhammad dur Rasoolullah) written on the Arsh (Allah's throne)." Fabricated No.25

8. "There is goodness in me and my Ummah until the day of Judgment." Fabricated No.30

9. "To love ones own country is a sign of Iman." Fabricated No.36

10." Who sleeps after 'Asr and losses his mind should blame none but himself." Da'if No.39

11. " Whoever performs Hajj and does not visit me has boycotted me." No.45
This Hadith and all the other Ahadith about visiting the Prophet (pbuh) after his death are Fabricated.

12. "Disagreement amongst my Ummah is a mercy." Fabricated No.57

13. "My Sahabah are like stars..." This and other Hadith with different endings are all fabricated. No.58

14. "My household (Hal al Bait) are like stars...." Fabricated No.62

15. "My Lord has disciplined me well." Da'if No.72

16."To rub the eyes when hearing the Adhan..." Fabricated No.73

17. "All people are dead except the Scholars, and all the Scholars are punished except the workers, and all the workers are drowned except the sincere, and the sincere are in great danger." Fabricated No.76

18. "There is no Mahdi except Isa (AS)." Munkar No.77

19. “Prayer with the Aamama (head clothing) is equivalent to 25 prayers than without it....” Fabricated No.127

20. “Get married and do not divorce because divorce shakes the Arsh." Fabricated No.147

21. "Love the Arabs for three reasons; because I am an Arab, the Qur'an is in Arabic and the language of Jannah is Arabic." Fabricated No.160

22. "For everything there is a heart, and for the Qur'an this is Surah Ya Sin and who reads it, it is as if he has read the Qur'an ten times." Fabricated No.169

23."Contemplation for one hour is better than worship for sixty years." Fabricated No.173

24." Hajj is Jihad and Umrah is optional." Da'if No..200

25. " The neighbor’s rights are up to forty houses away..." Da'if No.274

26." I was a Prophet before Adam (AS) and before the water and the mud...." Fabricated No.302

27."Who does not care for the Muslims affairs is not one of them..." Da'if No.309

28. "As you are, so will be your leaders." Da'if No.320

29. "Who abides by my Sunnah at the time of corruption of my Ummah he will get the reward of a hundred martyrs..." Da'if No.326

30. "The Prophet (pbuh) kissed a Sahabah by the hand and said that this hand will not be touched by fire." Batil No.391

31. "Seek knowledge even in China." Batil No.416

32. "People will be called on the Day of Judgment by their mothers names." Fabricated No.433

33. " A Sultan (The Ruler) is the shadow of Allah on the earth..." Fabricated No.475

34. "Exaggerate in remembering Allah until others call you mad." Da'if No.517

35. "The son of Adam (AS) does not do a dearer deed than on the Day of Nahaar (sacrifice during Eid ul Adha) than spilling blood of the sacrifice. It will
come on the Day of Judgment with its horn, wool and huffs and Allah accepts the sacrifice before its blood reaches the ground..." Da'if/ Fabricated No.526

36. "He used to pray in Ramadan twenty rakahs Taraweeh and the Witr." Fabricated No.560

37. "When the Prophet (pbuh) came into Medina the women and children were singing Ta la al badroo aalaynaa....." Da'if No.598

38. " The believer is courteous, clever and alert." Fabricated No.760

39." Who honors the women is noble and who humiliates them is mean." Fabricated No.845

40."O my Uncle if they placed the sun in my right and the moon in my left to give up this matter (Islam) I would not do so, until Allah makes it prevail or I perish in the process." Da'if No.909

41."Do not urinate standing up." Da'if No.934

42."He used to stand on the mimbar leaning on a stick while giving the Khutbah." Da'if No.964

43."Ali (RA) missed the 'Asr prayer and the Prophet (pbuh) prayed for the sun to reappear until Ali (RA) had prayed." Fabricated No.971

44."One day from a Imam 'Adl (Just Ruler) is better than sixty years of worship." Da'if No.989

45."Whose prayer does not stop him from evil and sins, will not be accepted." Munkar No.985

46."He used to pray four Rakat before Jumuah and four after." Batil No.1001

47."Any women who leaves her house without her husband's permission will be in Allah's displeasure until she returns to the house or her husband becomes happy with her." Fabricated No.1020

48."The dearest women to the Prophet (pbuh) is Fatima (RA), and from the men is Ali (RA)." Batil No.1124

49."Who has died has met his Qiyamah." Da'if No.1166

50."I recommend the two cures, honey and Qur'an." Da'if No.1514

51."If someone backbites his brother then you should seek forgiveness for him
as this is a kaffarah" Fabricated/Da'if No.1518

52. “The ink of a scholar is holier than the blood of a martyr” Fabricated (Source book "100 Fabricated Ahadith" by Shaikh Abdullah Faisal).

REFERENCE:

1. http://www.irfi.org/articles/articles_251_300/52_weak_ahadith.htm

Salam.

aliff

Assalamu A'laikum,

I had known some of these hadiths to be as authentic :O.

Btw, 41."Do not urinate standing up." Da'if No.934... so this means we are 'allowed' to urinate while standing up ??? I mean i had known that urinating while standing is Makrooh (not preferred) and also i knew that our Prophet Muhammad(s.a.w) used to urinate by sitting.. can anyone give me some details about this matter ?

Jazakallah khair for sharing this :)

Wassalam

faicel

Unfortunately some of the hadithe cited above have been authenticated by sheikh Nasser eddin Al albani, and the source used by the brother isn't that well know in addition that there are not foot notes or indication of where did the hadith mentioned to daeef...
I re-confirm what you have said "Aliff" about the urination hadith even though I didn't come in that specific form but the fact is real and you can find that in boukhari or specifically in the book of adaab.

Jibran

Salam.

From what i know. It is permissible to pee standing up but make sure no urination gets on you. If it comes on you, then it's haram.

Just something i was told before.

faicel

Salam.

From what i know. It is permissible to pee standing up but make sure no urination gets on you. If it comes on you, then it's haram.

Just something i was told before.

Yes it is indeed, but there are conditions for that i'll post the hadith later incha Allah

13. "My Sahabah are like stars..." This and other Hadith with different endings are all fabricated. No.58

أصحابي كالنجوم بأيهم اقتديتم اهتديتم
(My Sahabah are like stars follow anyone you will get Hadaya)

The Hadith you question has been debated extensively by the Muhadditheen. Some have classified it as weak, others have said it is Hasan (sound) and a small minority has exaggerated by considering it a fabrication.

One of the reasons for such difference of opinion is the fact that at times, one Muhaddith (expert in Hadith), may regard a particular Hadith as weak due to the chain of narrators that was available to him, whilst another Muhaddith may have a totally different chain which may also be weak and so on. When all these chains are gathered, they could collectively gain the strength for credibility and acceptance. Hence, occasionally, one would notice that the earlier Muhadditheen may have classified a certain narration as weak, whilst some latter day Muhaddith who was able to gather the various chains, regards it as authentic or at least acceptable.

Another scenario of the above could be that when all the various chains are gathered, some Muhadditheen still maintain that the narration is weak, whilst other experts conclude that it has gained enough strength for acceptance. This seems to be the case in the Hadith in question.

In other words, several Muhadditheen have ruled that this Hadith is weak, and some have stated that it is acceptable due to the collective strength that is acquired from the various chains. We concur with the latter view based on the following:
1. The learned Muhaddith and Shaafi'ee Faqih (jurist), Hafiz ibn Hajar al-Haytami [ra] has classified this Hadith as Hasan (soundly authentic). (see Tuhfatul Akhyaar of Ml. Abdul-Hayy Laknawi pg.63)
2. Imaam Saghaani [ra] has also classified it as Hasan. (Ibid pg.54; Sharhu Teebi alaa Mishkaat)
3. Allaamah Qaasim ibn Qutloobugha [ra] – a renown Hanafi Muhaddith and Faqih has stated, 'It's chains have defects, but they strengthen each other.' (refer Tuhfatul Akhyaar pg.134)
4. Imaam Bayhaqi [ra] has mentioned that though all its chains are weak, its subject matter is supported by other authentic Ahaadith. (Kitaabul I'tiqaad, Tuhfatul Akhyaar pg.57 and Talkhisul Habeer of Hafiz ibn Hajar)
5. Hafiz ibn Hajar al-Asqalani [ra] has also mentioned another authentic narration that implies the same meaning. (al-Amaalil Mutlaqah pgs.59-62)
6. Furtheremore, although Imaam Ahmad ibn Hanbal [ra] had refuted the authenticity of this narration at one stage of his life, in another instance, he actually accepted it. Shaykh Ibn Taymiyah [ra] has mentioned that, 'Imaam Ahmad had used these words as proof and this indicates that he regarded it as authentic.' (refer footnotes on Tuhfatul Akhyaar pg.62)
7. Concerning the view of Hafiz ibn Abdil-Barr [ra], Allaamah San'aani [ra] has stated in his book entitled, 'Tawdeehul Afkaar': "As for ibn Abdil-Barr, he also used it as proof in his book, 'Al-Tamheed' and he did not comment on it. So, possibly, he considered the collectivity of all the chains a strengthening factor, or maybe he knew of other Ahaadith that strengthen its meaning." (Ibid pg.63)
8. 'Allamah Ibn 'Allaan (r.a.) said: " The defect of its chain in this situation is harmless" (i.e. since it pertains to virtue) (Daleelul Faliheen, vol.1 pg.410, hadith:192)
In light of the above quotations, it would be proper for one to quote the blessed Hadith in question. If an individual still maintains that it is a weak narration, then as mentioned earlier, this was also the view of some Muhadditheen and should therefore be respected. (Their quotations have been omitted for the cause of brevity.) In such cases, it should be remembered that there is no need for vicious opposition because both sides have the support of great, eminent scholars and both views should be respected. Since the field of grading Ahadith is one that is based on ijtihad, it is therefore prone to difference of opinion.

And Allah Ta'ala Knows Best

12. "Disagreement amongst my Ummah is a mercy." Fabricated No.57

1. al-Hafiz al-Bayhaqi in his book al-Madkhal and al-Zarkashi in his Tadhkirah fi al-ahadith al-mushtaharah relate:
Imam al-Qasim ibn Muhammad ibn Abi Bakr al-Siddiq said: "The differences among the Companions of Muhammad are a mercy for Allah's servants."
al-Hafiz al-`Iraqi the teacher of Ibn Hajar al-`Asqalani said:
This is a saying of al-Qasim ibn Muhammad who said: The difference of opinion among the Companions of Muhammad is a mercy.
2. Al-Hafiz Ibn al-Athir in the introduction to his Jami` al-usul fi ahadith al-rasul relates the above saying from Imam Malik according to al-Hafiz Ibn al-Mulaqqin in his Tuhfat al-muhtaj ila adillat al-Minhaj and Ibn al-Subki in his Tabaqat al-Shafi`iyya.
3. Bayhaqi and Zarkashi also said:
Qutada said: `Umar ibn `Abd al-`Aziz used to say: "I would dislike it if the Companions of Muhammad did not differ among them, because had they not differed there would be no leeway (for us)."
4. Bayhaqi also relates in al-Madkhal and Zarkashi in the Tadhkira:
Al-Layth ibn Sa`d said on the authority of Yahya ibn Sa`id: "The people of knowledge are the people of flexibility (tawsi`a). Those who give fatwas never cease to differ, and so this one permits something while that one forbids it, without one finding fault with the other when he knows of his position."
5. Al-Hafiz al-Sakhawi said in his Maqasid al-hasana p. 49 #39 after quoting the above:
I have read the following written in my shaykh's (al-Hafiz ibn Hajar) handwriting: "The hadith of Layth is a reference to a very famous hadith of the Prophet , cited by Ibn al-Hajib in the Mukhtasar in the section on qiyas (analogy), which says: "Difference of opinion in my Community is a mercy for people" (ikhtilafu ummati rahmatun li al-nas). There is a lot of questioning about its authenticity, and many of the imams of learning have claimed that it has no basis (la asla lahu). However, al-Khattabi mentions it in the context of a digression in Gharib al-hadith... and what he says concerning the tracing of the hadith is not free from imperfection, but he makes it known that it does have a basis in his opinion."

6. Al-`Iraqi mentions all of the above (1-5) in his Mughni `an haml al-asfar and adds:
What is meant by "the Community" in this saying is those competent for practicing legal reasoning (al-mujtahidun) in the branches of the law, wherein reasoning is permissible.
What `Iraqi meant by saying "the branches wherein reasoning is permissible" is that difference is not allowed in matters of doctrine, since there is agreement that there is only one truth in the essentials of belief and anyone, whether a mujtahid or otherwise, who takes a different view automatically renounces Islam as stated by Shawkani.(1)
7. Ibn Hazm said in al-Ihkam fi usul al-ahkam (5:64):
The saying "Difference of opinion in my Community is a mercy" is the most perverse saying possible, because if difference were mercy, agreement would be anger, and it is impossible for a Muslim to say this, because there can only be either agreement, or difference, and there can only be either mercy, or anger.
Imam Nawawi refuted this view in his Commentary on Sahih Muslim:
If something (i.e. agreement) is a mercy it is not necessary for its opposite to be the opposite of mercy. No-one makes this binding, and no-one even says this except an ignoramus or one who affects ignorance. Allah the Exalted said: "And of His mercy He has made night for you so that you would rest in it," and He has named night a mercy: it does not necessarily ensue from this that the day is a punishment.
8. al-Khattabi said in Gharib al-hadith:
Difference of opinion in religion is of three kinds:
* In affirming the Creator and His Oneness: to deny it is disbelief;
* In His attributes and will: to deny them is innovation;
* In the different rulings of the branches of the law (ahkam al-furu`):
Allah has made them mercy and generosity for the scholars, and that is the meaning of the hadith: "Difference of opinion in my Community is a mercy."(3)
9. al-Hafiz al-Suyuti says in his short treatise Jazil al-mawahib fi ikhtilaf al-madhahib (The abundant grants concerning the differences among the schools):
The hadith "Difference of opinion in my Community is a mercy for people" has many benefits among which are the fact that the Prophet foretold of the differences that would arise after his time among the madhahib in the branches of the law, and this is one of his miracles because it is a foretelling of things unseen.
Another benefit is his approval of these differences and his confirmation of them because he characterizes them as a mercy.
Another benefit is that the legally responsible person can choose to follow whichever he likes among them.
[After citing the saying of `Umar ibn `Abd al-`Aziz already quoted (#3 above), Suyuti continues:] This indicates that what is meant is their differences in the rulings in the branches of the law.

7. "Adam (AS) saw the Kalima (La ilaha illallah Muhammad dur Rasoolullah) written on the Arsh (Allah's throne)." Fabricated No.25

The hadith mentioned is in the Al Mu’jam Al-Sagir li Al-Tabrani, Mustadrak Al-Hakim, Abu Nu’aym and Al-Bayhaqi in their Al-Dalail and Ibn Asakir.

The wording of the hadith is:

عن عمر بن الخطاب قال « قال رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم : لما أذنب آدم الذنب الذي أذنبه ، رفع رأسه إلى السماء فقال : أسألك بحق محمد إلا غفرت لي؟ فأوحى الله إليه : ومن محمد؟ فقال : تبارك اسمك . لما خلقتني رفعت رأسي إلى عرشك فإذا فيه مكتوب » لا إله إلا الله محمد رسول الله « فعلمت أنه ليس أحد أعظم عندك قدراً ممن جعلت اسمه مع اسمك . فأوحى الله إليه : يا آدم انه آخر النبين من ذريتك ، ولولا هو ما خلقتك

Muhammad (Sallalahu Alaihi Wasallam)said, "After Adam (Alaihis Salam) happened to commit the wrong,(as a result of which he was transferred from Paradise to Earth) he used to spend all his time in weeping, praying and repenting, and once he looked up towards the Heaven and supplicated, "O Allah! I beg thy forgiveness in the name of Muhammad (Sallalahu Alaihi Wasallam)." "Who is Muhammad?" came the enquiry through divine revelation. He replied, "When you created me, I saw the words LAA ILAHA ILLALLAH MUHAMMADUR RASULULLAH written on your 'Arsh', and since then I believed that no human being is superior to Muhammad (Sallalahu Alaihi Wasallam), whose name appeared along with yours." In reply it was revealed," He is to be the last of all prophets, and will be your descendant. If he were not created, you also would not have been created."

المعجم الصغير 82\2 دارالكتب العلمية

المستدرك على الصحيحين للحاكم 672\2 رقم الحديث 4228 دارالكتب العلمية

الدرالمنثور في التسيرالماثور 116\1 دارالكتب العلمية

أخرج الطبراني في المعجم الصغير والحاكم وأبو نعيم والبيهقي كلاهما في الدلائل وابن عساكر

روح المعانى 238\1 دارالكتب العلمية

وقيل : رأى مكتوباً على ساق العرش ، محمد رسول الله فتشفع به

This hadith is classified as hassan.(sound)

رفع المنارة 249-242 دار الامام الترمذي

فقد اخرج الحافظ ابوالحسن بن بشران قال ثنا ابو جعفر محمد بن عمرو ثنا احمد بن اسحاق بن صالح ثنا محمد بن صالح ثنا محمد بن سنان العوقي ثنا ابراهيم بن طهمان عن بديل بن ميسرة عن عبدالله بن شقيق عن ميسرة قال : قلت: يا رسول الله متى كنت نبيا؟ قال ( لما خلق الله الارض و استوى الى السماء فسواهن سبع سموات و خلق العرش كتب على ساق العرش محمد رسول الله خاتم الانبياء و خلق الله الجنة التي اسكنها ادم و حواء فكتب اسمي على الابواب و الاوراق والقباب و الخيام و ادم بين الروح و الجسد فلما احياه الله تعالى نظر الى العرش فراى اسمي فاخبره الله أنه سيد ولدك فلما غرهما الشيطان تابا و استشفعا باسمي اليه)

فالصواب ان هذا الاسناد من شرط الحسن على الاقل و يصححه من يدخل الحسن في الصحيح من الحفاظ

كابن حبان و الحاكم

(وتمام الكلام موجود فى رفع المنارة)

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
Number 12...

إجتلاف أمتي رحمة
"Disagreement among my Ummah is a (source of) mercy"

The hadeeth is untraceable due to this, As-Suyootee declared that it was probably recorded in one of the works that have been lost. However the Ummah have preserved the ahadeeth so this has been ruled out by some of the `Ullema. As-Subki said that the hadeeth has no basis, i.e. it not being either saheeh, da`eef or mawdoo`. Imams such as Zakatiyyah Ansaari agreed with him (As-Subki) in this regard [Tafsir Baidaawi].

Ibn Hazm Al-Andaloosee said in Al-Ihkaam fil-Ahkaam, "if disagreements are a cause of mercy, then surely agreements will be a cause of anger".

:salam2: akhi,

I didn´t deny anything in this book. Its one of the best book which i got about fabrication. But i have just quote another opinion of other teacher of hadiths. If anybody take number 12 as a weak and oyu mawdoo then their is nothing wrong. But it will be exaggrate when you or i call him bad/deviant (i cant find any word). Follow scholar whose knowledge is turstworthy for you.

ANd jazakallah brother for that sources. I had also read that one and is in my memory.

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
Baarak Allaah feek. The sharh is sufficient... i.e. that differences in `aqeedah and the sifaat of Allaah is problematic, but in fiqh then alhamdulillaah, differing is known. The one (scholar) who errs in his decision receives one reward as oppose to two as we know. The problem with me is that sometimes people cite this to justify differences in `aqeedah. Others, subhaan Allaah they criticise me for the ahaadeeth I hold onto with regards to performing the salaah and then cite the hadeeth to justify their mannerisms in prayer lol!

The one (scholar) who errs in his decision receives one reward as oppose to two as we know.

Just today or yesterday i got this sentence to read. jazakallah for your riminder. And salah is the matter of fiqh , so my poor opinion is here we can use this hadiths, but about aqeedah i am also agree with you.

Ibn Taymiyya in the Mukhtasar al-fatawa al-misriyya says:

al-a'imma ijtima`uhum hujjatun qati`atun wa ikhtilafuhum rahmatun wasi`a -- The consensus of the Imams [of fiqh] on a question is a definitive proof, and their divergence of opinion is a vast mercy... If one does not follow any of the four Imams [of fiqh]... then he is completely in error, for the truth is not found outside of these four in the whole shari`a.(4)

Ibn Hazm Al-Andaloosee said in Al-Ihkaam fil-Ahkaam, "if disagreements are a cause of mercy, then surely agreements will be a cause of anger".

ANd it was also quoted in that article and then after the answer of imam nabawi about this comment.

If something (i.e. agreement) is a mercy it is not necessary for its opposite to be the opposite of mercy. No-one makes this binding, and no-one even says this except an ignoramus or one who affects ignorance. Allah the Exalted said: "And of His mercy He has made night for you so that you would rest in it," and He has named night a mercy: it does not necessarily ensue from this that the day is a punishment.

Oem Soufiane

I heard this message on other sites who claim to be sunni/salafy, but they do takfir on shaykh albaani. So watch out what you believe and post, some of these hadith are in Bukhari.

I heard this message on other sites who claim to be sunni/salafy, but they do takfir on shaykh albaani. So watch out what you believe and post, some of these hadith are in Bukhari.

Which hadiths are in bukhari sister? Those which is called as fabricated or weak in the article or others? Please make it clear.

Oem Soufiane

Which hadiths are in bukhari sister? Those which is called as fabricated or weak in the article or others? Please make it clear.

inshalah I will tomorrow, I know of at least of the urinating while standing hadith is in bukhari, maybe not the same words, but the same meaning, I'll look into it tomorrow inshallah. Really have to get some sleep now.
:salam2:

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
ANd it was also quoted in that article and then after the answer of imam nabawi about this comment.

I read it akhi, I just pasted an old post of mine and that was in it.

muharram23

Staff member

salamu alaykum

Sister, definitelly that site that u say called themselves sunni/salafi are not really salafi themselves, but instead takfeeris and khawarij. Who ever declares muslims disbelievers because of the sins they make, without asking the ulema, then indeed they are those of the khawarij and takfeeris. Only a layman, an idiot, an innovator would call shaykh al albani r.a, who was a muhadeeth, a kaafir. There is no hadeeth today that it is not graded by shaykh Al-albani as being saheeh, daif or fabricated. Also, there is no country, person in the world who studies this deen that he didn't hear or get to know shaykh al-albani r.a. That is one of the signs where Allah sv.a likes for His sincere and good servents to be known by good, and be mentioned by good even after their death. LIke i said, only ignorant, innovators, idiots and those who took their desires as God, can call an Alim, a muhadith like Al albani r.a a kafiir. Neutzhubillah may Allah guide them or break them who ever disgraces scholars of this ummah who are on the haqq. Ameen

Allah knows best

wasalam

Muslimah-S

Seek The Almighty
Asalamaulikum
Can someone tell me if this is a weak hadith, as someone said it is. So is this true?

The Messenger of Allah [SAWS] said: “Whoever recites Ayatul Kursi immediately after each prescribed (obligatory) prayer, there will be nothing standing between him and his entering Paradise except death.”
[Reported by An-Nasa’i and Ibn Hibban]

Jazzakllahu Khairan