Status
Not open for further replies.

zarah

Islam
Staff member
:salam2:

I just wanted to find out abouth a particular number 786!

What is 786?(I heard people say it stands for Bismillah)

Is their a hadith from the Qu`ran that specify what this number actually stands for.

I have recived a message from my mate today stating that

"this year 7th August is a very special day for all muslims around the globe because it`s going to be 7/8/6.It happens only once in a century"

:jazaak:

:wasalam: :biggrin:

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Bismillah

Assalamu Alaykum,

786 stands for absolutely nothing. It is an innovation which is particularly common in the South Asian Muslim community. People say it stands for the Basmallah. To say 786 is part of Islam is a sin.

There is no evidence in either the Quran or the Sunnah for such a thing.

The continuation of such beliefs is just a reflection on the situation that our Ummah is in now. One of a profound lack of callers to Islam who are teaching according to the Quran and Sunnah..

To think that the date 7/8/6. is important and has religious significance for Muslims.... is also a sin.

You can Read more about why this is wrong here:
Introduction to what is (Bidah) Innovation

InshaAllah, dont worry about it, just if you know something is wrong it is important to leave it alone and Allah will forgive you. You are the second member to have asked about this.. and the other member was a sister who had 786 in her nicname, she asked and i changed it for her :) .. If you wish i can do the same with your nicname on the website.

This is the nature of us humans we all make mistakes :) .... may Allah keep us all to the straight path and give us paradise.

Wasalam Sister.

amoudi

786 stand for Ram, a hindu god

In one of his lecture, Dr. Zakir Naik was posed with the same question, and he instantly replied with above. In subcontinent some theologians tell us about the art of "abjad" calculating a value of certain name, thus they say 786 stand for Bismillah. Dr. Zakir Naik proved that this perfectly stand for the name of a hindu god. Beside i once listened a piece of news item way back in 1999, which said that maximum number of marriage took place on 9th of Sept 1999 in most part China and in Hongkong also, because people believed that that was very auspiciou day, in India hindus usually draw charts to ascertain auspicious day to marry, start business, to construct a house etc. What i want to say is that this game of numbers are all unislamic and we should avoid believing this. May Allah show us the right path.

wassalam

zarah

Islam
Staff member
Jazzak-Allah Khair

:salam2:

I really appreciate the fact that you have tried to help me!

Sorry brother mabsoot would you change the 786 from my nickname.

May Allah(Swt) bless all of us and guide us to the right path!:ma:

:wasalam: :biggrin:

alhamdulillah

Bismillah,

:salam2: all, though the questions already been answered wisely, i'd still like to contribute Insha'Allah...

regarding 786.... - someone asked a question: (in a book by Mahmood Ahmed Mirpuri who wrote FATWA SIRAT AL MUSTAQEEM which is translated by Mohammed Abdul Hadi al-Omeri and is published and distributed by DARUSSALAM, RIYADH-SAUDI ARABIA)

Q) We have been taught by our parents and state school teacher that when you write a letter to someone, you must put 786 on top of the letter which is the same as BISMILLAH..But a religious scholar has told me that you should write 786/92, is any of this correct?

A) ....when corresponding with someone, it is a Sunnah to start with 'Bismillah'. But, in the sub-continet people tend to use the number 786 of which there is no proof from the Islamic Shari'ah, whether you write 786 or 786/92.This does not symbolise 'Bismillah' in any way . Those who do use this, say that people do not respect letters/papers and therefore it is disrespectful to 'Bismillah'. Using these numbers is wrong for the following reasons:

i) 786 does not symbolise or equalise 'Bismillah' as there is no proof from any scholar on this. If somone was to read just a number instead of a text, it would obviously be meaningless.

ii) Those who worry about disrespect to Islamic text, should not use words like 'Allah' and 'Muhammad' in their letters either, but this is not the case. In the same letter headed by 786 we find Allah's name in the text!

iii) The Prophet (Alayhis sallatu wassalam) sent several letters to non-Muslims and there was a possibility that they would not respect these letters. Still, the Prophet (Alayhis sallatu wassalam) started with the name of Allah and did not use any numbers to symbolise it. Also, when Prophet Sulaiman (Alayhis salam) sent a letter to the Queen of Saba', who was a Kafir at that time, he started his letter with 'Bismillah' and this is stated in the Qu'ran, Surat An-Naml says : "Verily it is from Sulaiman and verily it reads 'In the name of Allah, the Most Beneficent, Most Merciful" " (27:30)

Alhamdulillah... :)

Ma'Salama
your sister in Islam...

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
wa alaykum salam,

barakAllahu feek, im glad you managed to log in with the new nicname

zarah

Islam
Staff member
Assalamu alaikum

:salam2: Brother Mabsoot,

Jazzak-Allah khair for smending my user name!

:wasalam: :D

Status
Not open for further replies.