A Neglected Sunnan – Two Rakats after Asr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
A Neglected Sunnan – Two Rakats after Asr

Al-Albani (may Allah rest him in Firdous) said,” This is a prayer which is forgotten and should be revived.”[ Saheehah hadeeth hadeeth 3174]
عَائِشَةَ قَالَتْ صَلاَتَانِ مَا تَرَكَهُمَا رَسُولُ اللَّهِ -صلى الله عليه وسلم- فِى بَيْتِى سِرًّا وَلاَ عَلاَنِيَةً رَكْعَتَانِ قَبْلَ الْفَجْرِ وَرَكْعَتَانِ بَعْدَ الْعَصْرِ.

1.Aisha (may Allah be pleased with her) said: “There are two prayers that the messenger of Allah (peace and blessings be upon him) never neglected to pray in my house secretly or publicly: Two Rak’ah before Fajr and two Rak’ah after Asr.” [Bukhari 592]
ائِشَةُ رضى الله تعالى عنها مَا دَخَلَ عَلَىَّ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ -صلى الله عليه وسلم- بَعْدَ الْعَصْرِ إِلاَّ صَلاَّهُمَا.

2. Aisha (may Allah be pleased with her) said: Anytime Allah’s messenger (peace and blessings be upon him) came to my house after Asr he prayed two Rak’ah [Bukhari 593 ]
The scholars’ analysis about these two Rak’ah:

1. Imam At-Tahawee (may Allah have mercy on him) said, “Some people see no harm in praying two Rak’ah after Asr and consider them a Sunnah.” [Sharh Ma’anee Al-Athar 1-301]

2. Imam Ibn Hazm (may Allah have mercy on him) said,” …Third: If this hadeeth is authentic it’s a proof for us. This hadeeth tells us that the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) prayed two rak’ah after Asr. On the contrary if it wasn’t allowed or disliked, Allah’s messenger (peace and blessings be upon him) wouldn’t have prayed these two rak’ah. His actions are guidance and correct, regardless whether he does it once or a thousand times.” [ Al-Muhalla]

3. Ibn Hajr (may Allah have mercy on him) said, “ To cling to these narrations establish the permissibility to offer a supererogatory prayer after Asr in any respect as long as it isn’t intended to be done during sunset.” [ Fath 2/85 ]

4. Shaykh Nasirud Deen Al-Albani (may Allah have mercy on him) said,” Among the accepted errors in the books of Fiqh is the prohibition of these two rak’ah and not mentioning them among the supererogatory exercises of devotion. Nevertheless, the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) preserved these two Rak’ah the same way he preserved the two before Fajr. There isn’t any evidence for the two Rak’ah after Asr’s abrogation or their being special for the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) only! How could it be, when Aisha (may Allah be pleased with her), the most knowledgeable person about these two rakah’ safeguarded them as well as other companions and pious Salaf.[ Silsilatus Saheehah 7/528]

5. Shaykh Muhammad Adam El-Ethiopee (may Allah preserve him) said,” The more acceptable position is that it is permissible to pray after Asr as long as the sun is pure white. The ruling for this action is based on an authentic hadeeth, the actions of the companions, and tabee’oon… [Thakheerahtul ‘Uqba fee Sharh Al-Mujtabah 7/202]

6. Shaykh Ubayd Al-Jaabiree (may Allah preserve him) said, “There are a large number of people who don’t know that Asr has a Sunnah. It is recommended to pray two rak’ah after Asr. Many people today are unaware of this act therefore it causes some confusion. We have emphasized on more than one occasion that if a Muslim combines Thur and Asr he doesn’t offer a sunnah prayer between them. Because doing so contradicts the act of joining. However when he finishes Asr he can pray two rak’ah if he wishes; since the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) used to do so as collected by Imam Muslim.

It’s a must to know that many Muslims not only in contemporary times but past centuries as well neglected these two rak’ah as being Sunnah. Aisha (may Allah be pleased with her) said: Anytime Allah’s messenger (peace and blessings be upon him) came to my house after Asr he prayed two Rak’ah.”The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) used to pray two rak’ah before Thur .One day he was to occupied to offer them at that time, hence he prayed them after Asr and continued this act. The fact that he continued to pray these two Rak’ah after Asr makes it a Sunnah. He didn’t just pray them once. We are not prohibited from praying these two rak’ah.

References:

1.‘Illamu Ahul Asr bee Sunnahtil Rak’ahtain ba’d Asr by Abee Harith Tahir
2.www.Sahab.net
3.Silsilatus Saheehah by Al-Albani (may Allah have mercy on him)

Translated by Abu Aaliyah Abdullah ibn Dwight Battle
Doha, Qatar Jumadul Akhir 17th, 1430

BinteShafi

Left long ago
:salam2:

Ibn ‘Abbaas, who said: "Some trustworthy men bore witness in my presence, the most trustworthy of whom in my view was ‘Umar, that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade praying after Fajr until the sun had risen and after ‘Asr until the sun had set.”
al-Bukhaari (547) and Muslim (1367)

Abu Sa’eed al-Khudri said: "I heard the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) say: “There is no prayer after Fajr until the sun has risen fully, and no prayer after ‘Asr until the sun has set.” Al-Bukhaari (551)

The two Raka'aa that the Prophet (صلى الله عليه وسلم) continously prayed after Asr were from his special traits. This is proven in the authentic hadeeth in which Umm Salama said: I heard Allah's Messenger forbade praying after Asr then I saw him praying the two rakaa after asr. So, she sent a servant to ask him on her tongue: I jeard you forbdiden people to pray after ast then I see you praying it. He replied with : I had people over and they kept me busy so that I missed the twp Rakaat after suhr so what I prayed were those.

Messenger Sallallahu alaihi wasallam prayer two rakas after Asr [making qada of zuhr sunnah after asr as in the hadith of Umm Salamah in the Musnad of Imam Ahmed ],

Majority of the Ulama (4 Madhabs) say this was specific to the Messenger (saw), whichever salah it was (qada of pure nafl)[in light of the ahadith of prohibition of salah after asr]

Wallahu Aa'lam,

:wasalam:

Aisya al-Humaira

الحمدلله على كل حال
Assalamualaykum wa rahmatullah,

A bit of a confusion here. Up until now, this is the first time I heard that praying after Asr is permissible (unless it is a qada' prayer). For both matters (whether it is allowed to pray after Asr or not), there are hadeeth regarding it.
Which should we follow then?

Wallahu'alam. Allaah knows best.

Wassalam.

Ibn Uthaymin

Assalamualaykum wa rahmatullah,

A bit of a confusion here. Up until now, this is the first time I heard that praying after Asr is permissible (unless it is a qada' prayer). For both matters (whether it is allowed to pray after Asr or not), there are hadeeth regarding it.
Which should we follow then?

Wallahu'alam. Allaah knows best.

Wassalam.

Praying two units of prayer after Asr is sunnah. As for the prohibition it is restricted to when the sun becomes yellowish. BinteShafi mentioned the ahadeeth which show the prohibition which are restricted to when the sun goes down.

http://salafimanhaj.com/pdf_page.php?pdf=137

Aisha hussain..

seeking knowledge

thank you brother i always avoide to pray any rakah afta asr
i thougth its not allowed

may Allah reward you for this :tti_sister:

jazakAllah :blackhijab:

hassana elkoussi

As-salamu alaium brother mabsoot,

I'm sorry to say that this fatwa seems to be against the concesus. Pls have a look at this fatwa from IslamQA, I've highlighted the parts relevant to the point in question:

Fatwa 20013»

Making up prayers at times when prayer is disallowed

People say that no kada(due)prayer can be offered immediaely after the 'Asr' prayer. Please help by giving me a comprehensive answer regarding this saying.

Praise be to Allaah.

Firstly – there are some times at which the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) disallowed prayer. These are:

1 – From after Fajr prayer until the sun has appeared and risen to the height of a spear, i.e., approximately fifteen minutes. (al-Sharh al-Mumti’, 4/162).

2 – The time when the sun is at its zenith in the middle of the sky. This is a short time before the time for Zuhr prayer begins, approximately one-quarter of an hour or twenty minutes. (Fataawa al-Shaykh Ibn Baaz, 11/286). Some of the scholars said that it was shorter than that. Ibn Qaasim (may Allaah have mercy on him) said that it is a brief time period, not even long enough to pray, only enough to say the takbeer to start the prayer. (Haashiyat Ibn Qaasim ‘ala’l-Rawd al-Murabba’, 2/245)

3 – After ‘Asr prayer until the sun sets.

These three times were mentioned in many ahaadeeth in which the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade praying at these times. These ahaadeeth include the following:

1 – Al-Bukhaari (586) and Muslim (728) narrated that Abu Sa’eed al-Khudri (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: “The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: ‘There is no prayer after ‘Asr prayer until the sun has set, and no prayer after Fajr prayer until the sun has risen.’”

2 – Muslim (832) narrated that ‘Amr ibn ‘Abasah al-Sulami (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: “I said, ‘O Prophet of Allaah, tell me what Allaah has taught you and I do not know, tell me about the prayer.’ The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: ‘Pray Subh (Fajr) prayer, then do not pray until the sun has appeared and risen… then pray for your prayer is witnessed and attended (by the angels), until the shadow of a spear points due north – which is the time when the sun is in the middle of the sky – then stop praying, for at that time Hell is stoked up. When the shadow turns – which is the beginning of the time for Zuhr – then pray, for your prayer is witnessed and attended (by the angels), until you pray ‘Asr. Then stop praying until the sun sets…”

Secondly: what is meant by making up prayers (qada’) is doing the prayer after the time for that prayer is over. The made-up prayer may be either fard (obligatory) or naafil (supererogatory).

Fard prayers: The Muslims must pray regularly at the times defined by Allaah for each prayer. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Verily, As‑Salaah (the prayer) is enjoined on the believers at fixed hours”[al-Nisa’ 4:103]

Delaying the prayer until its time is over without a reason or excuse is haraam, and it is a major sin.

If the Muslim has an excuse, such as sleeping or forgetting, and he was not able to do the prayer on time, then he must make up the prayer when that reason no longer applies, even if that is at one of the times when prayer is disallowed. This is the view of the majority of scholars. See al-Mughni, 2/515.

The evidence for that is the words of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him): “Whoever sleeps and misses the prayer or forgets it, let him pray it when he remembers.” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 597; Muslim, 684)

Naafil prayers:
the scholars differed with regard to making them up at times when prayer is disallowed. The correct view is that they should be made up. This is the view of al-Shaafa’i (may Allaah have mercy on him). See al-Majmoo’, 4/170. It was also the view favoured by Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah (may Allaah have mercy on him), as stated in al-Fataawa, 23/127.This is indicated by a number of ahaadeeth, such as:

The report narrated by al-Bukhaari (1233) and Muslim (834) from Umm Salamah (may Allaah be pleased with her), that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) prayed two rak’ahs after ‘Asr, and she asked him about that. He said: “Some people from ‘Abd al-Qays came to me and distracted me from praying two rak’ahs after Zuhr, so I did them now.”

Ibn Maajah (1154) narrated that Qays ibn ‘Amr said: the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) saw a man praying two rak'ahs after he had prayed Fajr prayer. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, “Are you praying Fajr twice?” The man said to him, “I did not pray the two rak’ahs that come before it, so I prayed them now.” The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) remained silent. This was classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh Ibn Maajah (984). Ibn Qudaamah (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: the fact that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) remained silent indicates that it is permissible. (al-Mughni, 2/532).

And Allaah knows best. May Allaah bless our Prophet Muhammad and grant him peace.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

Salam alaikum

Ibn Uthaymin

As-salamu alaium brother mabsoot,

I'm sorry to say that this fatwa seems to be against the concesus. Pls have a look at this fatwa from IslamQA, I've highlighted the parts relevant to the point in question:

Fatwa 20013»

Making up prayers at times when prayer is disallowed

People say that no kada(due)prayer can be offered immediaely after the 'Asr' prayer. Please help by giving me a comprehensive answer regarding this saying.

Praise be to Allaah.

Firstly – there are some times at which the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) disallowed prayer. These are:

1 – From after Fajr prayer until the sun has appeared and risen to the height of a spear, i.e., approximately fifteen minutes. (al-Sharh al-Mumti’, 4/162).

2 – The time when the sun is at its zenith in the middle of the sky. This is a short time before the time for Zuhr prayer begins, approximately one-quarter of an hour or twenty minutes. (Fataawa al-Shaykh Ibn Baaz, 11/286). Some of the scholars said that it was shorter than that. Ibn Qaasim (may Allaah have mercy on him) said that it is a brief time period, not even long enough to pray, only enough to say the takbeer to start the prayer. (Haashiyat Ibn Qaasim ‘ala’l-Rawd al-Murabba’, 2/245)

3 – After ‘Asr prayer until the sun sets.

These three times were mentioned in many ahaadeeth in which the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade praying at these times. These ahaadeeth include the following:

1 – Al-Bukhaari (586) and Muslim (728) narrated that Abu Sa’eed al-Khudri (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: “The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: ‘There is no prayer after ‘Asr prayer until the sun has set, and no prayer after Fajr prayer until the sun has risen.’”

2 – Muslim (832) narrated that ‘Amr ibn ‘Abasah al-Sulami (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: “I said, ‘O Prophet of Allaah, tell me what Allaah has taught you and I do not know, tell me about the prayer.’ The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: ‘Pray Subh (Fajr) prayer, then do not pray until the sun has appeared and risen… then pray for your prayer is witnessed and attended (by the angels), until the shadow of a spear points due north – which is the time when the sun is in the middle of the sky – then stop praying, for at that time Hell is stoked up. When the shadow turns – which is the beginning of the time for Zuhr – then pray, for your prayer is witnessed and attended (by the angels), until you pray ‘Asr. Then stop praying until the sun sets…”

Secondly: what is meant by making up prayers (qada’) is doing the prayer after the time for that prayer is over. The made-up prayer may be either fard (obligatory) or naafil (supererogatory).

Fard prayers: The Muslims must pray regularly at the times defined by Allaah for each prayer. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Verily, As‑Salaah (the prayer) is enjoined on the believers at fixed hours”[al-Nisa’ 4:103]

Delaying the prayer until its time is over without a reason or excuse is haraam, and it is a major sin.

If the Muslim has an excuse, such as sleeping or forgetting, and he was not able to do the prayer on time, then he must make up the prayer when that reason no longer applies, even if that is at one of the times when prayer is disallowed. This is the view of the majority of scholars. See al-Mughni, 2/515.

The evidence for that is the words of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him): “Whoever sleeps and misses the prayer or forgets it, let him pray it when he remembers.” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 597; Muslim, 684)

Naafil prayers:
the scholars differed with regard to making them up at times when prayer is disallowed. The correct view is that they should be made up. This is the view of al-Shaafa’i (may Allaah have mercy on him). See al-Majmoo’, 4/170. It was also the view favoured by Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah (may Allaah have mercy on him), as stated in al-Fataawa, 23/127.This is indicated by a number of ahaadeeth, such as:

The report narrated by al-Bukhaari (1233) and Muslim (834) from Umm Salamah (may Allaah be pleased with her), that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) prayed two rak’ahs after ‘Asr, and she asked him about that. He said: “Some people from ‘Abd al-Qays came to me and distracted me from praying two rak’ahs after Zuhr, so I did them now.”

Ibn Maajah (1154) narrated that Qays ibn ‘Amr said: the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) saw a man praying two rak'ahs after he had prayed Fajr prayer. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, “Are you praying Fajr twice?” The man said to him, “I did not pray the two rak’ahs that come before it, so I prayed them now.” The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) remained silent. This was classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh Ibn Maajah (984). Ibn Qudaamah (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: the fact that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) remained silent indicates that it is permissible. (al-Mughni, 2/532).

And Allaah knows best. May Allaah bless our Prophet Muhammad and grant him peace.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

Salam alaikum

http://salafimanhaj.com/pdf_page.php?pdf=137

BinteShafi

Left long ago

My personal understanding is that these two rakahs were specific to Prophet Sallallahu alaihi wasallam (as in some other matters i.e. fasting at night, sleep does not break wudoo). This was not practiced widely even by the first generation of the Muslims and all the 4 madhahab held the view these 2 rakas were specific to Prophet Sallallahu alaihi wasallam

The last portion of the hadith of Umm Salamah is that when Prophet Sallallahu alaihi wasallam told her (umm Salamah) that he is making up the missed rakahs of zohar, then she asked if we can do that as well? (make up the missed rakas) and Prophet Sallallahu alaihi wasallam said "NO"

There is prohibition of prayer after asr as per the authentic hadith of Saeed Al-Khudri and other ahadith.

And Allah knows best.

:wasalam:

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member

My personal understanding is ..

wa alaykum salam,

Dear sister, with much respect we are here to discuss Islam upon Adillah, upon Noor. The noor being the Qur'an and Sunnah with the understanding of the Salaf Salih, not personal understandings.

Jazak Allahu khayr for your concerns, but, it is extremely important not to be putting your own conclusions to what the words of our Prophet Muhammad (salallahu alayhi wa salam) mean. There is a gross misunderstanding to your understanding of the hadith, which inshaAllah should be made clear within the rest of this post.

This was not practiced widely even by the first generation of the Muslims and all the 4 madhahab held the view these 2 rakas were specific to Prophet Sallallahu alaihi wasallam.

Please do not write statements without evidence. What you wrote simply is not true.

Just because something is strange or new to someone, does not mean it is not true. It is important to understand how the rulings of various fiqh issues, such as the prayers can come about.

There is prohibition of prayer after asr as per the authentic hadith of Saeed Al-Khudri and other ahadith.
عن علي – رضي الله عنه – أن النبي صلى الله عليه وسلم :

( نهى عن الصلاة بعد العصر إلا والشمس مرتفعة )

صحيح . الصحيحة برقم ( 200 )

This is a narration of Ali Radhiyallahu anhu, he said that the Prophet (salallahu alayi salam) forbade praying after Asr, except when the sun was high.

عن علي بن أبي طالب – رضي الله عنه – قال : قال رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم :

( لا تصلوا بعد العصر ؛ إلا أن تصلوا والشمس مرتفعة )

صحيح . الصحيحة تحت حديث الترجمة

On authority of Ali ibn Abi Taalib, Radhiyallahu anhu, He said, the Prophet (salallahu alayhi wa salam) said, "Do not pray after Asr, except if you pray when the sun is high"

There are many more authentic narrations, that further strengthen this view, via sahaba such as Bilal Radhiyallahu anhu, Ibn Hazm mentioned, that Bilal Radhiyallahu anhu, explained that the Prophet (salallahu alayhi wa salam) only forbade praying when the sun was setting.

There are narrations of Anas ibn Malik (radhiyallahu anhu), of Umm al Mu'mineen Aa'ishah (radhiyallahu anha), and Umar Radhiyallahu anhu, who also prayed two rakat after Asr.

There is also hadith of the great companion, Anas ibn Malik Radhiyallahu anhu:

- عن أنس بن مالك – رضي الله عنه – قال : قال رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم :

(1) (لا تصلوا عند طلوع الشمس , و لا عند غروبها فإنها تطلع و تغرب على قرن شيطان

و صلوا بين ذلك ما شئتم )

حسن . الصحيحة برقم ( 314 )

Shaykh al Muhadith, Muhammad Nasir-ud-Deen Al-Albani Rahimahullah further explained the fiqh:

و هذا الوقت هو المراد بالنهي عن الصلاة بعد العصر الذي صح في أحاديث

كما سبق بيانه تحت الحديثين المتقدمين برقم ( 200 و 314 )
هو اصفرار الشمس

So, he said that the hadith of prohibition of prayer after asr, mean at the time of the yellowing of the sun, i.e the time when sun is setting before Maghrib.

We must understand that our deen is based upon balance of evidences, to have understanding. Just as for example we are to pray the two rakahs when we enter the masjid before sitting. We can not make exception and not pray those. Perhaps a person with limited understanding, enters the masjid and sits without praying because they believe it is prohibited to pray after Asr. Allahu A'lam.

Shaykh Mashoor Hassan, Hafizahullah, mentioned 11 Companions of the Prophet :saw: and Tabi'een who prayed these units. The prohibition extends only to the specific time after Asr when the sun is beginning to set.

Shaykh Al-Albani (rahimahullah), also mentions narration from Ibn Abi Shaybah, that a number of the Salaf would pray the two raka'ah after Asr.

قال محدث عصره فضيلة الشيخ الألباني - رحمه الله - :

هذا و قد روى ابن أبي شيبة عن جماعة من السلف أنهم كانوا يصلون هاتين الركعتين بعد العصر

منهم أبو بردة بن أبي موسى و أبو الشعثاء و عمرو بن ميمون و الأسود ابن يزيد و أبو وائل

رواه بالسند الصحيح عنهم

و منهم محمد بن المنتشر و مسروق كما تقدم آنفا

At the end of the day, this is issue of fiqh, something that our noble Scholars do the research, bring the daleel and put light to the Sunnah!! and its not something people should argue and bicker over.

May Allah make everything easier and better for us all and guide us to the straight path, amin.

Assalamu alaykum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh

Asja

Pearl of Islaam
Assalamu Allaicum wa rahmatullah wa barakatuhu

Jazzak Allah khair for the thread and all replys and detaild explanations but I am afraid now I am confused even more than after reading the first time this thread.

I do not know why do I have problem with understanding it. And Allah knows the best

May Allah bless you

Wa Allaicumu Sallam wa rahmatullah wa barakatuhu

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Assalamu alaykum

There is nothing confusing,

My post was a clarification based upon what the Ulema explain of the hadith. In Islam, meaning of hadith are merged and rulings made by looking at all evidences as a whole. Simple as that, there no contradictions or problems.

On authority of Ali ibn Abi Taalib, Radhiyallahu anhu, He said, the Prophet (salallahu alayhi wa salam) said, "Do not pray after Asr, except if you pray when the sun is high"

We dont pray near the time when the Sun is rising or when it is setting.

The two rakat after Asr are not obligatory, there is evidence, person can choose to do it, then good for them. We dont complain, this is from Islam, the Sahaba spoke about it and did it, many of the Salaf did it.

Status
Not open for further replies.