: A Query On Jakat. :

sachin4islam

Assalamu Alaikum:

Hope my Islamic Br's and Sis's are in best of health and Imaan.

I have question regarding Jakat.

I bought a property ( Piece of a Land ) with the motto to resell it when the market picks up. Unfortunately,the market didn't bounce to my expectations. Presently I am holding the property. How will be the Jakat calculate on this stagnant property.?

Will I have to annually pay the Jakat until I hold the property or once at the time of resell of the property.?

Please place the answer ( Or Fatwa ) linked to authentic sources.

Regards.

Ershad

:wasalam:

I hope this helps you. - http://www.alifta.net/fatawa/fatawaDetails.aspx?View=Page&PageID=2609&PageNo=1&BookID=14

Fatwas of Ibn Baz

Browse by Volume Number > Volume 14 > Book of Zakah > Chapter on Zakah on commercial commodities > zakah on land intended for sale

Zakah on land intended for sale​

Q: Three years ago, the municipality gave me a piece of land that had been allocated for citizens with limited incomes. I intend to sell this land if it can raise a suitable price, as its location is not convenient for me. My question is: Is Zakah due on this land? If it is due, do I have to pay for the three years or just one? Please give me a Fatwa (legal opinion issued by a qualified Muslim scholar) on this and may Allah bless you!

(Part No. 14; Page No. 160)

A: If you want to sell it, you have to pay Zakah based on its value after the passage of a Hawl (one lunar year calculated from the time a property reaches the minimum amount upon which Zakah is due) from the time you intended to sell it. This is based on the Hadith related by Abu Dawud (may Allah be merciful to him) on the authority of Samurah ibn Jundub (may Allah be pleased with him) who said, “The Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) used to order us to pay the Sadaqah (i.e. Zakah) on what we prepared for sale.” [Narrated by Abu Dawud, Book on Zakah, Chapter on is there Zakah due from commercial commodities, no.1562] This is substantiated by other supporting evidence that shows the same meaning. May Allah grant us success.

sachin4islam

Assalamu Alaikum: Br Ershad.

Thanks for your reply.

I got a Fatwa on the above mentioned site which exactly pertains to my issue.

Regards.