A SIMPLE REASON TO BE THANKFUL

UM ABDULLAH

It was one of the winter afternoons, I was feeling terribly cold, I put my sweater on but it didn’t help much so I came to my bedroom and drew the curtains open to allow the sunlight come in, than I curled up on the side of the bed so the sun light could reach me, few moments passed and I started feeling warmth in my cold feet and after a couple of more minutes my whole body relaxed because of comforting warmth. It was not of course the first time that I had enjoyed the warmth of the sun but actually this time I realized something special. As I was relaxing in the sun, I thought, isn’t it wonderful that the sun is reaching me with the right temperature and at the right distance, it could have been more so to toast my body or less with absolutely no warmth, rather its wonderfully relaxing and you don’t feel a bit annoyed by the heat, suddenly there was a great feeling of gratitude towards the “creator”, The “LORD”, The one who has measured everything according to its due measurement.
What if the sun changes its course? Is it has the power to come closer to our planet a bit, or moving away a bit, imagine rivers drying up due to the heat and n the other hand a never ending winter. But things are not that way instead they are in “our’ favor and everything our LORD has created is serving us. A verse from the Holy Quran just came to my mind,
THE LORD says in chapter 14, verse 33,”And HE has made the sun and the moon, both constantly pursuing their courses, to be of service to you; and HE has made the night and day, to be of service to you.”
We might have considered other blessings of our creator which HE has bestowed upon us, like giving us beautiful kids, a life partner, loving parents, good career, money etc, but there are thousands of other reasons for us to be thankful, and the best question here is; what have we got to offer in return for all these favors? All these great benefits? What does our LORD want in return from us? . The answer is, to be thankful to HIM and what do you think is the best way to offer our gratitude? That is to totally submit yourself to HIM and “only” HIM, THE “LORD”.
By, ASMA FARID