A Summary of Matters That Oppose the Path of As-Salaf As-Saalih

Abu Sarah

Allahu Akbar
Staff member
A Summary of Matters That Oppose the Path of As-Salaf As-Saalih
By

Imam Ibn ul Qayyim al Jawziyyah​

The following characteristics are in opposition to the path of As-Salaf As-Saalih:

1. Denying that Allaah ascended His ‘Arsh (Throne) above the seven heavens in the Most Majestic manner that suits Him, and that He is distinct and separate from His Creation.

2. Denying, altering, or insisting o*!n figuratively interpreting the Names, Attributes and Actions of Allaah[1]

3. Denying, or altering the actual meaning of Ru’yah: The Seeing of Allaah by the believers o*!n the Day of Resurrection.

4. Making analogous comparisons between Allaah and His Creation, leading to Tashbeeh (making parables) or Ta’teel (denying or
suspending the obvious meanings) of the Names, Attributes, or Actions of Allaah.

5. Complete or partial denial of the intercessions approved by Allaah, or confirming intercessions not approved by the Sharee ‘ah.

6. Complete, partial denial, or figurative interpretations of revealed information o*!n matters of Al-Ghayb like As-Siraat,[2] Al-Meezan,[3] the Prophet’s Hawd,[4] the Torture or Bliss in the grave, the Angels, the Signs of the Hour, etc.

7. Denying the Kalaam (Speech) of Allaah.

8. Saying that the Qur’aan is not the Word of Allaah, but a creation of His!

9. Insisting that Eemaan is an uttering o*!n the tongue o*!nly!

10. Denying that deeds fall under the meaning of Belief.

11. Denying that Eemaan increases with obedience, and decreases with disobedience.

12. Denying that Allaah’s Actions are linked to His Wisdom.

13. Denying the Fore knowledge and the Writing of all measures and preordainment in the Allawh Al-Mahfooth (The Preserved Tablet).

14. Saying that man creates all or some of his own deeds.

15. Saying that man has no choice.

16. Contradicting the principles of Tawheed by offering any form of worship to other than Allaah.

17. Saying anything about Allaah or about His Messenger (صلى الله عليه وسلم) without knowledge.

18. Arguing about the Qur’aan and Hadeeth, following what is not entirely clear to some, instead of referring it to the clear texts and (or) those learned scholars who follow the Salaf’s Path thus eliminating any misunderstanding.

19. Complete or partial denial of the validity of the authentic Sunnah.

20. Resorting to Baatini interpretations of texts saying that the texts have an outer aspect and an inner (Baatini] aspect!

21. Exaggerating in matters of Deen, e.g. easily declaring that such and such is a Kaafir.

22. Exaggerating about the status of certain men, making of them holly, infallible, etc.

23. To hold sacred certain places like tombs, clothes, etc.

24. Innovation in Deen: Adding to, or deducting from the prescribed matters of Islaam. Introducing innovated celebrations and declaring them holly.

25. Laying basics and rules related to the understanding of Islaam without resorting to the Qur’aan, authentic Sunnah, & the Salaf’s path.

26. Insulting the Sahaabah (The Prophet’s companions) or declaring that most of them as Kuffaar as the Raqfidah (Receptionists) of the Shee’ah sect do.

27. Insulting The Salaf from Ahlul Hadeeth and their followers.

28. Making mockery of the Muslims who adhere to the authentic Sunnah.

29. Giving allegiance to groups and (or) parties irrespective of their creeds and (or) methodologies in the name of “uniting the Ummaah”. This kind of “unity” which is not based o*!n the true belief in Tawheed and o*!n the way of the Salaf exemplified by the saying of the Prophet (صلى الله عليه وسلم): “My way and the way of my companions”

30. Magnifying the civilization of the Kuffaar under the pretext of modernization and development! The injustice inflicted o*!n some Muslims in their countries should not be the driving force for judging other societies. This may overshadow the Islaamic stand towards the Kuffaar.

31. Dissent against the Muslim rulers, even if they are ruthless, or oppressors. Islaam calls for patience under such conditions. The believer may give advice to the best of his ability, and deny the wrong in ways that may not lead to more evil. The confrontations with such rulers led and continues to lead to bloodshed, divisions, and a bad reputation that hinders the Da ‘wah for Allaah. This does not mean the acceptance of wrong, neither it is a baseless excuse for advocating the munkar.

32. Following scholastic and philosophical ways, making them the reference for understanding the revealed texts.

33. Taking a strange stand towards the Bid’ah and the Mubtadi ‘ah (innovators), by ignoring their Bida’ for worldly or political gains!

The above positions may exist with varied degrees amongst those who follow any of them. And Allaah Knows best!

The deviation from the Minhaaj of As-Salaf is a very serious matter. Muslims know well that the split of this Ummah into many sects is real and that the protection from this is possible-by Allaah’s will- o*!nce we take by the command of the Prophet (صلى الله عليه وسلم): “My way and the way of my Sahaabah.” It is Sabeel Al-Mu’mineen (The Way of the Believers) whom Allaah was pleased with and they were pleased with Him.

All Praise is due to Allaah, the Exalted. Any success in this work is from Allaahand any mistake is from me and shaytaan, and I ask Allaah to forgive me and to guide me and the reader to the path of As-Salaf As-Saalih and make us die o*!n it. I thank Him for enabling me to finish this work and I ask Him to accept it from me.

May Allaah, the Most Merciful, forgive me and my parents, my entire family, and the rest of the Muslim Ummah.

Saleh As Saleh
The 20Ih of Muharram, 1420 Hj, Corresponding to the 22nd of February, 1999.

A REMINDER [5]

• Allaah said:

وَمَا كَانَ لِمُؤْمِنٍ وَلَا مُؤْمِنَةٍ إِذَا قَضَى اللَّهُ وَرَسُولُهُ أَمْرًا أَن يَكُونَ لَهُمُ الْخِيَرَةُ مِنْ أَمْرِهِمْ
وَمَن يَعْصِ اللَّهَ وَرَسُولَهُ فَقَدْ ضَلَّ ضَلَالًا مُّبِ

It is not for a believer, a man or woman, when Allaah and His Messenger have decreed a matter that they should have an option in their decision. And whoever disobeys Allaah and His Messenger he has indeed strayed in a plain error. [Qur’aan, Al-Ahzaab, 33:36].

• The Prophet (صلى الله عليه وسلم) said: “It was the duty of every Prophet Allaah sent to guide his nation to the best of what he knew and to warn them of the evils of what he knew.” [Reported by Muslim].

• He (صلى الله عليه وسلم) said: “The best speech is the Book of Allaah and the best guidance and example is that of Muhammad. And the worst of all things are the newly invented things (in religion), for every innovation is error and misguidance” [Reported by Muslim] and in another narration, “every newly invented matter (in religion) is bid’ah and every bid’ah is dalaalah (going astray) and every dalaalah is in the Fire.” [Reported by At-Tirmithee and it is saheeh}.

• In another warning, the Prophet (صلى الله عليه وسلم) said: “Whoever introduces into this affair of ours something that we have not commanded it is to be rejected.”
[Reported by Al-Bukhaaree and Muslim).

• The Messenger (صلى الله عليه وسلم) said: “Allaah will o*!nly unite my Ummah o*!n guidance.” [Reported by At-Timithee and it is saheeh]. And He also said: “ My Ummah -will never agree upon dalaalah” [Reported by At-Tirmithee and Al- Haakim and it is saheeh].

• ‘Abdullaah bin Mas’oudsaid: “Follow and do not innovate, for you have been given that which is sufficient and every innovation is misguidance.”
[Reported by Abu Khaithamah in Kitabul- ‘llm and it is saheeh].

• ‘Abdullaah bin ‘Umar said: “Every innovation is misguidance even if people regard it to be something good “ [Reported by Ad-Daarimee with an authentic transmission].

• Imaam Al-Awzaa’ee said: “Patiently restrict yourself to the Sunnah and do not go beyond the limits held by the decisions of the Sahaabah; hold their positions and avoid what they avoided. Hold to the path of the pious predecessors (As-Salaf As-Saalih), for verily what was sufficient for them is sufficient for you.”
[Reported by ibn Al Jawzee in Tablees Iblees and Al-Laalikaa’ee in .Sharoo Usooli ‘Itiqoadi Ahl us-Sunnah]

• The innovators are friends of Shaytaan because, as Imaam Sufyaan Ath-Thawree explained, “Innovation is more beloved to Iblees than sin, since a person makes repentance from sin but does not repent from innovations (because he thinks bid’ah is from the religion).” [Al-Laalikaa’ee in As-Sunnah (no.238)].

• Hassaan Ibn ‘Atiyyah said: “No people introduced an innovation into their religion except that an equivalent Sunnah is taken away from them.”
[Repotted by Ad-Daarimee with saheeh transmission].

• Ayyoob As-Sakhtiyaanee used to say: “No innovator works harder (according to his bid ‘ah) except that he increases in distance away from Allaah.”
[Reported in al-Bid’a wan-Nahyi ‘Anha by Ibn Waddaah].

Imaam Maalik said: “The Sunnah is like the Ark of Nooh (Noah), whoever embarks upon it reaches salvation and whoever refuses is drowned.”
[Reported by As-Syouti in Miftaahu Jannah].

‘ Imaam Maalik said: “He who innovates something in Islaam regarding it as something good has claimed that Muhammad (صلى الله عليه وسلم) has betrayed the Message which he was entrusted to deliver” as Allaah says:

الْيَوْمَ أَكْمَلْتُ لَكُمْ دِينَكُمْ

Today I have Perfected your Deen for you.
[Qur’aan, Soorat Al-Maa ‘idah, 5:3]

“Whatever was not Deen at the time of the Prophet cannot be considered to be a part of the Deen today” [Reported by Ash-Shaatibee in AI-l’tisaam].

• Imaam Maalik also said: “Nothing will benefit the Ummah to come except that which benefited its early generations.’” [Related by Imaam Ibn ‘Abdil Barr in At-Tamheed].

• ‘Abdullaah Ibn Mas’oudsaid: “ The Jamaa’ah is what conforms to the Truth, even if you are alone.” [Reported by Ibn ‘Asaakir in Taareekh Dimashq with a saheeh isnaad]

• Imaam Muhammad Al-Barbahaaree said: “Know that Islaam is the Sunnah and the Sunnah is Islaam and o*!ne of them cannot be established Without the Other.”
[Quoted from his book Sharhus-Sunnah. English Translation].

• He also said: “Everything (some) worshippers claim as hidden knowledge (’Ilmul Baatin), which is not found in the Qur ‘aan and the Sunnah, is innovation and misguidance. It is not to be acted upon nor called to.” [Ibid]

• Imaam Ash-Shaafi’ee said: “That a servant meets Allaah ith every sin except Shirk is better than meeting Him upon any of he innovated beliefs.”
[Reported by AI-Baihaqee in Al-I’tiqaad].

• Abu Qilaabah said: “A people never introduces an innovation, except that they make use of the sword lawful.” [Ad- daarimee with a saheeh isnaad].

• Al-Fudayl Ibn ‘lyaad said: “Indeed, I love those whom Allaah loves. They are those whom the Companions of Muhammad (صلى الله عليه وسلم) are safe. I hate those whom Allaah hates. They are the people of the deviant sects and innovations.”
[Reported by Abu Nu’aym in Al-Hilyah with a saheeh isnaad. See Sharh us Sunnah by AI-Barbahaaree, English Translation, p. 94].

• Al-Barbahaaree said: “The innovators are like scorpions. hey bury their heads and bodies in the sand and leave their tails out. When they get the chance they sting: the same with the innovators who conceal themselves amongst the people, when they are able, they do what they desire.” [See Sharh us Sunnah, p.94).

Compiled By Saleh As-Saleh

FOOTNOTES:

[1] We ask Allaah’s Forgiveness for some of the great scholars of Ahlu Sunnah (e.g.Al-Haafith Ibn Hajar, Imaam An-Nawawee, and others) who may have indulged in figurative interpretation of some of Allaah’s Sifaat (Attributes). o*!n the other hand it is not right to exaggerate in rejecting all of their works. They have great contributions which enriched the understanding of the Sciences of Hadeeth, Fiqh, Usool, Tafseer, etc. While they may have been influenced by some aspects of the late Asha’rite school, they are not considered to be followers of the systematic methodology of this school. And Allaah knows best. See the Introduction in Ar-Rudud Wat-Ta’qeebaal ‘ala ma Waqa’ah HI Imaam An-Nawawee Fee Shark Saheeh Muslim Min At-Ta ‘weel Fee As-Sifaat...’by Shaykh Mashoor Bin Hasan Aal Salmaan. Daar Al-Hijrah, Riyaadh, 1413/1993.

[2] As-Siraat: The Bridge over the midst of Hell; It is extremely slippery. o*!n it there are hooks, claws, and barbs. Over it mankind will pass. The believers, as Prophet Muhammad explained, “Will pass like the blink of an eye, like the
lightning, like the wind, like the birds, and like the fast horses and camels. Some will be saved, some will be lacerated then set free, and some will be thrown into the Fire...” [See Saheeh Muslim, V. Hadeelh #352.]

[3] Al-Meezaan: The Scale set up o*!n the Day of Resurrection for weighing the deeds of men.

[4] Hawd: The Pool of Allaah’s Messenger He said: “The size of my Pool is like what is between Jerusalem and San’aa in Yemen and it has drinking cups like the number of stars in the sky.” [See Saheeh Al-Bukhaaree, V.8, Hadeeth #582.] It is referred to in the Qur’aan (Soorah 108) as Al-Khawther in At-Jannah.

[5] This section is intended to be a special reminder to the Muslims regarding the
Bid’ah. Inshaa’Allaah-they will make good use of its contents and make it available to their communities. I ask Allaah, the Most High, to render it beneficial for me and for all Muslims.